Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Monthly SimLit Short Story Challenge

Comments

• NhimSimNhimSim Posts: 316 Member

It is wonderful that the MSSSC got so much attention 💕

And it is very cool that the votes were cast so closely - makes it even clearer that the stories were all great and well-written.

Being a total recluse - thus having very little social skills and understanding I have to ask...
    The Reader's Choice banner - I'm assuming it's used to put on the stories that get awarded with it?
    Overall I like the design but the blue might need to be turned a bit darker for the green to really stand out - or maybe it's my screen that needs replacing - it's pretty old for a piece of tech 😄
  • divanthesimmerdivanthesimmer Posts: 1,462 Member
    Congrats everyone! I agree with @Onyeka001 about the banner. :)
    phULnBI.png
    Check out my SimLit blog here: https://ageekylegacy.wordpress.com/
    Follow me on Twitter @divanthesimmer
    Follow me on Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/dashboard/blog/divanthesimmer
    Origin ID: divanthesimmer
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    Congrats to the selected and if you want banner feedback: a darker blue would make it easier to read.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    Congrats to all the readers' choice entries! I'm really glad at the switch to calling it "Readers' Choice"! Nice!

Also, a confession: I just couldn't bring myself to vote this time. Each time I thought of it, I just got stuck trying to choose. I could think of reasons that each entry deserved recognition. I can't even choose a favorite. It's just really, really nice to be part of the entries--and I sort of think of all of this month's stories as making up a whole.

Re: the banner--another thought if you darken the blue would be to switch some of the green to white or a contrasting color, in order to accommodate for visitors who are green-blue color blind.

The ADA requirements specify pretty distinct contrasts between background colors and fonts, so darker blue and really light green or white, or really light blue and darker green or near-black would work. Sometimes, you can save the image in black and white, to see if the distinction is clear. You can also run the color values through the contrast checker here: https://webaim.org/resources/contrastchecker/

Anyway, so happy that this is now Reader's Choice, and in my mind and estimation, it's really just "The Stories of the Month," with all of our entries being part of that beautiful grouping!

Hope you are all well this Saturday!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • lisabee2lisabee2 Posts: 3,708 Member
    I will make adjustments .. I am a fan of bright colors so I gravitate to that LOL
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    New readers can visit here first: In-a-NUTSHELL
    #EAgamechanger
  • NhimSimNhimSim Posts: 316 Member

Hello Fellow SimLit Writers and Friends

Here is my entry for January 2021: MSSSC: Expectations

Hi, hi! I'm loving this January theme, especially since there are so many new beginnings all around us, and I'm personally going through a very major Beginning!

Here is my entry: Sea Change - https://cathytea.wordpress.com/2021/01/21/sea-change/

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • divanthesimmerdivanthesimmer Posts: 1,462 Member
    Hey everyone! Here's my entry for this month: New Residents
    phULnBI.png
    Check out my SimLit blog here: https://ageekylegacy.wordpress.com/
    Follow me on Twitter @divanthesimmer
    Follow me on Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/dashboard/blog/divanthesimmer
    Origin ID: divanthesimmer
    I got mine in AND it is not even the last minute!!

Xto's Earthsuit A Short Story/
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
    The challenge for Jan is closed <3

Blog up soon
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
    The submissions for Jan are up <3

MSSSC: Jan 2021 Submissions
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
    Just a quick FYI .. there was a story added that they forgot to post here so we have a vote to do now <3

SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • Qnshr5Qnshr5 Posts: 465 Member
    Great stories this month everyone! You guys always make it hard to decide who to vote for :lol::love:
    7YZVoCi.png
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • MonaSolstraaleMonaSolstraale Posts: 1,378 Member
    I'm really impressed with the variety of fantasies in January's short stories. Thanks for inspiring and entertaining reading <3
    NB: It was very difficult to vote for someone over others.
    edited February 2021
    So I have a question .. how comfortable would you all be with a monthly theme of horror/suspense (not every month but maybe next month)
    .. of course I am not recommending gratuitous violence or grisly bloody murder scenes .. but more of a Poe-esque type fare. I have been dying to try it!
    Post edited by lisabee2 on
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
    Also how did everyone like the new recolored Participant banner .. good ?? No good??
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
    Added 2 submissions that did not get posted in here ...

Monthlysimlitshortstorychallenge New Day Newcrest January 21
    and
    Tears of a Clown

The blog and ballot have been updated too ...
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • Qnshr5Qnshr5 Posts: 465 Member
    lisabee2 wrote: »
    So I have a question .. how comfortable would you all be with a monthly theme of horror/suspense (not every month but maybe next month)
    .. of course I am not recommending gratuitous violence or grisly bloody murder scenes .. but more of a Poe-esque type fare. I have been dying to try it!

I'm always down for some horror/suspense to read or write. I love darker themes (if it's not obvious from like half my submissions. I swear I'm ok:sweat_smile:) But I realize its not for everyone so count me in, but I'll go with what everyone decides.
    7YZVoCi.png
    Here is my February fairy tale: https://cathytea.wordpress.com/2021/02/07/thalassas-song/

Title: Thalassa's Song

Also how did everyone like the new recolored Participant banner .. good ?? No good??

I like it a lot! :) I was just reflecting on how much work and care you put into this. Thank you, LisaBee!

This can be fun! This is a challenging genre for me to write in, but I love having the opportunity to stretch myself and venture into brave fictional territory, so I think it could be great!

Plus, as a reader, I know we'll get some real treats!

Well ... heads up to all. Be thinking because that will be next month's theme!

Now as for last month .. well we had quite a funny situation - we nearly had 5 top reader choices .. we did end up with 4. the top 2 tied for most votes and the next two tied for second. So technically we had 5 top reader choices. I have awarded 4 in the blog .. we were not so high on readers this month but they seemed to like them all!

Top 4 grab your banners on the blog dropbox link

Monthly SimLit Short Story Challenge: January 2021 Theme, Submissions & Top Choices
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
    Qnshr5 wrote: »

I'm always down for some horror/suspense to read or write. I love darker themes (if it's not obvious from like half my submissions. I swear I'm ok:sweat_smile:) But I realize its not for everyone so count me in, but I'll go with what everyone decides.

OHH you write some goodies ..
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
    CathyTea wrote: »
    Here is my February fairy tale: https://cathytea.wordpress.com/2021/02/07/thalassas-song/

Title: Thalassa's Song

This was sooo enchanting! I adore fairy tales both dark and "light" ... every good fairy tale seems to have that strong underpinning of "and the moral of the story is ..." delightful!
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger