Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What's on your menu tonight?

Comments

• Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Laksa, from a jar, with bok choy, chicken, and bean noodles.
    I was gonna roast the chicken, but it's too hot in my kitchen to even consider putting the oven on, so I chopped up some of it for my soup, and the rest will get roasted tomorrow, when it's cooler.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    February11February11 Posts: 12,668 Member
    Too many recipes, not enough life! I've noted that one too!
    I'm doing a play on your Veggie Bowl with Warm Peanut Sauce tonight, by adding seared fresh tuna, and using more of a coleslaw base and instead of rice I'm doing a side of garlic bread.
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Options
    NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    @PriestessBizarre Great Northern Beans are white beans that cook up creamy and starchy, with very delicate skins and a delicate taste, often used in recipes with ham. In Maine, traditionally these are not used for "New England Baked Beans" but the much smaller pea beans (also white and almost indistinguishable from Navy Beans) are used. But I see in online recipes, some use Great Northerns. Anyway, they make a very starchy comfort food if baked in a covered dish or Dutch oven, low and slow. They tend to fall apart into a kind of bean porridge if cooked on the stovetop in my experience, compared to firmer beans. But they would do nicely as an alternative to split pea soup.

Tonight, I made a large meatloaf, a pot of Great Northern Beans, and another pot of just boiled/steamed cabbage, as an easy dinner with planned-for leftovers so I don't have to cook every meal from scratch.
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    February11 wrote: »
    Too many recipes, not enough life! I've noted that one too!
    I'm doing a play on your Veggie Bowl with Warm Peanut Sauce tonight, by adding seared fresh tuna, and using more of a coleslaw base and instead of rice I'm doing a side of garlic bread.

I actually still had some of the peanut sauce leftover. I also had leftover chilli beans from Mexican bowls we had yesterday at lunch time. Hubby mixed these both together last night :| .... and that was his dinner. He said it tasted fantastic.
    I always have left overs. What I don't take to work gets made into some unusual dish on the weekend. It always seems to work. I don't put any of the seafood into these dishes. That's probably why it works, all vegetables no matter what sauce goes with it.
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Options
    @PriestessBizarre Great Northern Beans are white beans that cook up creamy and starchy, with very delicate skins and a delicate taste, often used in recipes with ham. In Maine, traditionally these are not used for "New England Baked Beans" but the much smaller pea beans (also white and almost indistinguishable from Navy Beans) are used. But I see in online recipes, some use Great Northerns. Anyway, they make a very starchy comfort food if baked in a covered dish or Dutch oven, low and slow. They tend to fall apart into a kind of bean porridge if cooked on the stovetop in my experience, compared to firmer beans. But they would do nicely as an alternative to split pea soup.

Tonight, I made a large meatloaf, a pot of Great Northern Beans, and another pot of just boiled/steamed cabbage, as an easy dinner with planned-for leftovers so I don't have to cook every meal from scratch.

I looked them up yesterday, and figured a good alternative would be Cannellini beans or butter beans.
    Another recipe tp try!
    This thread is going to save me heaps of time googling recipes!
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    I'm doing an odd one tonight. I usually always make my sauces myself, but on the weekend my partner found on the supermarket shelf butter chicken sauce. After reading the ingredients and finding no chickens had died in the making of the sauce, and there was no trace of any chickens at all, suggested we buy it and I make something with it. So I agreed, since I always decide on what we're having as I'm cook and shopper. So, I'm going to used deep fried tofu from the Asian supermarket as it soaks up all the sauce and has a nicer texture than a block of tofu, and sliced mushroom, baby spinach and fresh coriander. Seems a bit of a cop out, but I'll give it a whirl. All sounds too easy.
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Options
    dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    edited December 2020
    It's pizza night.

Ordered a perogy and pepperoni pizza from somewhere I haven't tried yet I always like to get one more unique pizza and one more traditional when trying a new place. They sent me 2 perogies though and no pepperoni. A bit bummed but not going to complain either surely a simple mistake probably just misread something... it's hard enough for local joints as it is right now I don't want them to have to correct it or something and be out another pizza (I guess one pizza isn't much but I also got a bunch of money off anyway... like I gotta let them have somethin). Also the perogy is delicious so I can't be too mad. And I discovered the great trick of keeping a pizza warm in cold Canadian climates... turn an electric heating pad up to high and rest the box on it lol. Warm pizza all night lol.
  • Options
    *note to self* don't buy butter chicken sauce out of a jar again!
    Even with my additions, it was pretty mediocre.
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    New England Fish Chowder made with almond milk and arrowroot flour. No dairy, corn, or potato. Came out well all things considered.

AYyRNaOl.jpg

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • Options
    Looks good!
    Recipe please?
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Options
    Looks good!
    Recipe please?

I can tell you how I made it, but I didn't measure anything, so it's not really so much a recipe, as a method. But here's all I did:

Sautee diced onion til tender in vegan margarine, then add whitefish and cook under a lid a few minutes, stirring occasionally. Then add in about a liter of almond milk (I use about a half kilo of fish per liter of almond milk, though my batch is twice that size, most ppl don't make such a quantity at once) and bring to a simmer. Meanwhile,

Stir together til smooth, about a Tbsp. of arrowroot starch to double that amount of almond milk in a small cup, and with the soup at the start of a boil, stir the starch in. It should thicken slightly, in a minute or so. You can add more that way, if you want it thicker, or if by accident you cooked it too hot or long and it went watery again (Arrowroot will do this, just as cornstarch also does). If it's too thick, add more almond milk til it's the right consistency. Salt to taste, add some black pepper, and fresh dill if you like.

Maine chowder is thinner than chowder served in other parts of the US. I hear in the midwest it's practically potage. So it's an individual thing and easily adjusted to your preference.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • Options
    Looks good!
    Recipe please?

I can tell you how I made it, but I didn't measure anything, so it's not really so much a recipe, as a method. But here's all I did:

Sautee diced onion til tender in vegan margarine, then add whitefish and cook under a lid a few minutes, stirring occasionally. Then add in about a liter of almond milk (I use about a half kilo of fish per liter of almond milk, though my batch is twice that size, most ppl don't make such a quantity at once) and bring to a simmer. Meanwhile,

Stir together til smooth, about a Tbsp. of arrowroot starch to double that amount of almond milk in a small cup, and with the soup at the start of a boil, stir the starch in. It should thicken slightly, in a minute or so. You can add more that way, if you want it thicker, or if by accident you cooked it too hot or long and it went watery again (Arrowroot will do this, just as cornstarch also does). If it's too thick, add more almond milk til it's the right consistency. Salt to taste, add some black pepper, and fresh dill if you like.

Maine chowder is thinner than chowder served in other parts of the US. I hear in the midwest it's practically potage. So it's an individual thing and easily adjusted to your preference.

Thanks for that. Another one copied down to try out at some stage.
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Options
    Tonight will surely be leftovers, as I have plenty.

Same here. My partner is on a works Christmas do so no Indian homedelivery tonight.
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Options
    I had run out of leftovers so filled the oven with a spinach meatloaf, lentils, baked apples, and a cake I made from bananas that were almost going bad, plus peanut butter.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • Options
    Left overs here tonight too, not quite sure which ones, but they're going into bread and into the sandwich press with some cheese and onion.
    MLgj4Vx.png