Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What's on your menu tonight?

Comments

• Options
    TEXASKITTYKATTEXASKITTYKAT Posts: 5,909 Member
    Pork chops, risotto, cauliflower with Velveeta cheese sauce :smile:
  • Options
    NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    oven-baked codfish, and the rest will present itself when I take stock of what needs using first, from the fridge.
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • Options
    TEXASKITTYKATTEXASKITTYKAT Posts: 5,909 Member
    @PriestessBizarre
    Pork chops, risotto, cauliflower with Velveeta cheese sauce :smile:

Interesting combo. :) So do you use risotto as a side dish? I've always had risotto as a main dish, it is so filling. I never even thought of using it as a side dish, but that could work quite well. [/quote]

I tend to use risotto as a side dish with a serving size of 1/2 cup. :smile: You are very right. If eaten as a main dish it is very filling.

• Options
    ArkaneArkane Posts: 20,224 Member
    I'm thinking maybe a BBQ flatbread pizza. We'll see.
    Potential Is Everything

Origin ID: BadArkane

XYeo1vn.png
  • Options
    February11February11 Posts: 12,661 Member
    Chickpea and bean casserole. I haven't done this one before but had to find something with what I have in the cupboard since I won't be going to the shops tomorrow.
    jQK5rqs.jpg
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Options
    Nutmeat patties with curried coconut sauce. It's a recipe I adapted from a recipe that I got from a radio program some 25+ years ago, and it's been in my regular rotation ever since. It's delicious, much better than it looks in my awful photo here. I quite like to serve it without the rice these days, just on its own with pappadams or something like that. It would probably go nice with some Bombay potatoes on the side too.

hfK06mL.jpg

Can you post the recipe for me, I'd like to try that one.
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Sure thing @February11

Note: 400 grams = approx 14 oz
    Australian cup = 250 ml (approx 8.5 fl oz, compared with US 8.0)
    Australia teaspoon = virtually identical to US teaspoon
    Australian tablespoon = approx 0.7 fl oz (as opposed to US tablespoon at 0.5)

Nutmeat Patties:
    1 can (400 grams) nutmeat (Here in Australia I use the Vegie Delights brand owned by the Sanitarium company)
    1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
    *1 egg, beaten (optional – used as a binder. You could try a vegan binder)
    ¼ cup coconut milk powder
    2 teaspoons ground coriander
    2 teaspoons curry powder
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    2 teaspoons tomato sauce
    2 teaspoons soy sauce

Coconut Sauce:
    1 small onion, finely chopped
    1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
    ½ red capsicum, finely chopped
    ¼ cup coconut milk powder
    2 teaspoons ground coriander
    2 teaspoons curry powder
    1 teaspoons ground ginger
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 tablespoon tomato sauce
    1 tablespoon soy sauce
    ¼ cup water or more (to preference re sauce thickness)

Make sauce:
    Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in small saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and capsicum and sauté for 3-5 minutes until soft. Add the remaining ingredients, mix well, and cook for a further minute.

Make patties:
    Place all ingredients in a medium bowl and mash together thoroughly. Shape the mixture into medium-sized balls or patties (makes approximately a dozen) – hint: to assist in shaping balls that won’t fall apart, try dipping hands into warm water in between every few balls (shake off excess water). Sauté the patties in shallow oil until crispy brown on both sides.

Hint - treat them fairly delicately, especially in the frying pan. They can be prone to falling apart, but I've got this mostly down to a fine art now!

I'm in Australia, @PriestessBizarre. I've already got all those ingredients, apart for the red capsicum. I'll do this recipe on Wednesday. Thanks for that, looking forward to giving it a go. I use the sanitarium products too.

And your frying pan tip, I tend to do patties and that in a baking tray in the oven to save them falling apart, I've had some frypan disasters in the past. :D I'll post the result.

Are you veggo? We don't eat meat but still eat seafood.
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Options
    NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    We had our Thanksgiving dinner today instead of the actual day (spent that day finishing installing the stove and fume hood) so dinner was roast turkey, a stuffing made from chickpea and buckwheat flour that I made into a cornbread substitute and then into stuffing, turnips, roast pumpkin puree (hooray, I'm not allergic to pumpkin after all! Whatever made my tongue numb and itchy that day, wasn't pumpkin!), scalloped potatoes, and homemade apple pie.

Yir0Yp2b.jpg

The pies came out very nicely.
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    February11 wrote: »
    And your frying pan tip, I tend to do patties and that in a baking tray in the oven to save them falling apart, I've had some frypan disasters in the past. :D I'll post the result.

Are you veggo? We don't eat meat but still eat seafood.

I forgot you were in Australia, I think I established that once before. :D

These patties go okay in the oven, although I've never actually cooked them that way, just reheated. Fried is preferable imo, but by all means do the oven thing. I should give it a go, cooking them in the oven, and see how they come out. It would be healthier indeed.

Yes, I'm a vego, have been for about 25 years. I don't eat seafood, the smell puts me off and I never liked the taste of any of the fish I've tried as a kid.

I might give them a go in the frying pan, but be gentle as you said.

We only eat fish/seafood once a week. We did try to give that up at one stage, but I still find fish like salmon heathy. Yeah, some fish can smell awful. I think it's been about 25 years for us, too.
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Options
    Salmon, and a number of other fish varieties, are indeed very healthy. But that smell.... :D

Smell is a shocker for putting you off anything!
    I remember as a kid my family eating Brussels Sprouts, it was enough to make me throw up. I couldn't bear sitting at the same table as one of them. I don't think I actually even tried one until I was in my late 30's. I like them now!
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Salmon, and a number of other fish varieties, are indeed very healthy. But that smell.... :D

I remember as a kid my family eating Brussels Sprouts, it was enough to make me throw up. I couldn't bear sitting at the same table as one of them. I don't think I actually even tried one until I was in my late 30's. I like them now!

I love Brussels sprouts haha. We grew up with them.

Tonight was a strange meal night as we had such a busy day that i forgot to get anything out of the freezer lol. It was Pitas with a mint dip and peanut butter /strawberries sandwich and a leftover cabbage /apple dish (similar to a coleslaw)
  • Options
    edited November 2020

I love Brussels sprouts haha. We grew up with them.

Tonight was a strange meal night as we had such a busy day that i forgot to get anything out of the freezer lol. It was Pitas with a mint dip and peanut butter /strawberries sandwich and a leftover cabbage /apple dish (similar to a coleslaw)

That's some combination, haha!
    One challenge I love is trying to make something out of nothing before shopping day. I can put together the strangest of leftovers and make something we'll never have again as you never have the same left overs. I've never made one that's made us sick - yet! :D
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    I'm also a bit of a weirdo in that I liked brussels as a kid, and still do.

As a kid I hated vegetables and only ate mushrooms and potatoes, but my parents weren't surprised when I stopped eating meat as they said I used to get really upset when I saw animals carcasses being taken into the butchers shop.
    I love all vegetables now, though I find squash and eggplant overrated.
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Options
    I despise eggplant!

Yay! It's not only me. I usually substitute it for flat mushrooms if it crops up in a recipe I want to do.
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    I have no idea what is on my menu tonight.
    I failed to plan ahead. I had hoped it would be cooler out, so I could walk to the supermarket, but I think I would turn into a little gothic puddle if I tried.

Stir-fried veggies is one option. Chickpeas are another one... Or I could just eat ice cream.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    FatTribble23FatTribble23 Posts: 848 Member
    It's 28 degrees here (Fahrenheit, or about -2 C), so sausage, shrimp and chicken gumbo with cornbread!
    HcmCUds.jpg
    Life needs an undo button.