Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"We Aim To Be Inclusive"

Comments

• Options
    m3ukkiem3ukkie Posts: 45 Member
    edited November 2020
    I and my friends rather have gotten used to play without any Asian American Dolls for ages. We know people insist on anything they want, and it’s simply impossible to add everything to the game. We’ve been satisfied with the way The Sims was somehow. At least, we’ve never complained about that.

But suddenly EA picked up our religion, culture, life style this time. Sure, we were glad at first. But EA suddenly changed their mind like “On the second thought, this is uglier than what we thought. Let’s chop off like this. Here, this is beautiful now.” It was denial of the original way. That’s why we started backlash. I think “the game which lacks our contents” and “the game which once denied our way” are different. Now, we have to face EA’s message “We are inclusive without you!” every time we play The Sims 4. We were kicked out from the community and I feel the same misery in the real society as a minority. I’m just sad.
    Post edited by m3ukkie on
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,256 Member
    On one side: Minorities wanting to be able to make Sims just like themselves.
    On the other side: White CIS people saying "I don't want realism in my games".

I know who I support and who I listen to.

@Beardedgeek Now now. Saying "I don't want realism in my game" is a tad silly. Realism is fine, but it stops being "realistic" when those pesky minorities start wanting ridiculous things like "representation" and "inclusion"! Then it becomes "unrealistic" and "pAndERinG!"

We already have representation in the sims. No one here is against diversity. No one complained about. Chinese new year, Dwaii or Mexican. things being added to the game .Or the game world being Japanese base. .Even before I can still make black sims. Please also stop treating minorities as a hive mind, or think any opposition is white. Because I am black. We are all different and have opinions.

I have to agree with Horrorgirl6, I'm mixed myself on my mother's side, some minorities don't like it when other people pity them or tell them what to do or tell them how to think, EA should have done a private screening before releasing the trailer, why would you put something in the trailer in the first place, if you're just going to remove it, it was bad marketing in general, we aren't angry because of representation, we're angry because of the hypocrisy.

Yep, pretty much this.
  • Options
    DarkwingzDarkwingz Posts: 83 Member
    netney52 wrote: »
    @SimmerGeorge I agree with you I once saw a post on this forum about how the new snowy escape pack should have been eastern Asian themed rather than Japan. A bit like jungle adventure and get together where they embrace multiple cultures I think that would have been the way to go. On another note I would love a Greek world and have always wanted to go to Greece.

While Greece would be a cool inspiration, I could also see the Twitter outrage mob fueling the EA failure fire with claims of "Celtic insensitivities," despite branches of the Celts clearly communicating with and melting into a culture with a scholarly sense of Arete.
    (It's been said many times over that the Celtic druids memorized everything.)
    Although, if the outrage mob does get grabby with their matches, the actual Irish Sims community would likely just be sitting here on the forums laughing over people getting touchy over a video game.
    In all honesty, Assassins' Creed is probably anyone's best bet for more historically accurate settings.
    You can search for my builds with EA Account ID: MASTERDARKWINGZ
    No longer taking build requests/questions, sorry.
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    m3ukkie wrote: »
    EA wanted to make money out of our culture
    That's exactly it.
    Any non-US-centric culture is seen as 'exotic' and thus is only for entertainment of the stereotypical westerners, as a money maker.

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    DarkwingzDarkwingz Posts: 83 Member
    Movotti wrote: »
    That's exactly it.
    Any non-US-centric culture is seen as 'exotic' and thus is only for entertainment of the stereotypical westerners, as a money maker.

The most interesting part of that statement is how the Exotic Set in Animal Crossing was changed to Imperial in New Horizons.
    So that was either by complete chance, or that was intentionally done by Nintendo.
    (Since the set- and while exotic things are seen as attractive in Japan, is still indeed of Chinese imperial era trend.)
    You can search for my builds with EA Account ID: MASTERDARKWINGZ
    No longer taking build requests/questions, sorry.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Darkwingz wrote: »
    That's exactly it.

The most interesting part of that statement is how the Exotic Set in Animal Crossing was changed to Imperial in New Horizons.
    So that was either by complete chance, or that was intentionally done by Nintendo.
    (Since the set- and while exotic things are seen as attractive in Japan, is still indeed of Chinese imperial era trend.)

I don't play Animal Crossing but I checked the translation briefly.
    Exotic Set was "Asian" in the original language, Japanese, and Imperial Set is ”Oriental” in Japanese version. So, the JP-EN translators chose the word “Exotic” and "Imperial" for their product. I think they live and work outside of Japan, because a big company like Nintendo usually has a U. S. division.
    Post edited by m3ukkie on
  • Options
    temporalgodtemporalgod Posts: 800 Member
    edited November 2020
    That's exactly it.

That definition of westerners only fits Americans, We Canadians really don't care about making money off of other cultures since our thing is being multicultural, we're more about assimilating them like the Borg, We are the Canadians, Lower your shields and surrender your cultures. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own, Resistance is futile. :D:D
  • Options
    Barbie430Barbie430 Posts: 97 Member
    That's exactly it.

That definition of westerners only fits Americans, We Canadians really don't care about making money off of other cultures since our thing is being multicultural, we're more about assimilating them like the Borg, We are the Canadians, Lower your shields and surrender your cultures. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own, Resistance is futile. :D:D
    The indigenous Canadians would like to have a word with you. You know, seeing as they were stripped of their cultures and forced into “western” assimilation. People really like to act like their western country is so much more progressive and above reproach in comparison to America, but fail to acknowledge the historical oppression of their own minority populations. Canadians aren’t exempt.
  • Options
    That's exactly it.

Technically, Canadians are Americans.
    What you mean is seppos. They're the stereotypical westerners. :p
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,916 Member
    Barbie430 wrote: »
    That's exactly it.

The indigenous Canadians would like to have a word with you. You know, seeing as they were stripped of their cultures and forced into “western” assimilation. People really like to act like their western country is so much more progressive and above reproach in comparison to America, but fail to acknowledge the historical oppression of their own minority populations. Canadians aren’t exempt.

The Celts probably felt that about the Romans pushing them out to the west of what is now the UK. No culture is exempt from being overun by another. That's how we got to where we are now. Survivors.

I don't see Canada as American myself. Canada and the USA are just on the same continent. Like Russia and China are on theirs, adjoined but not alike in the slightest.
  • Options
    Simburian wrote: »
    That's exactly it.

The Celts probably felt that about the Romans pushing them out to the west of what is now the UK. No culture is exempt from being overun by another. That's how we got to where we are now. Survivors.

I don't see Canada as American myself. Canada and the USA are just on the same continent. Like Russia and China are on theirs, adjoined but not alike in the slightest.

Every country has sins, and atrocities.No one is clean.
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    That's exactly it.

I agree and why don't you guys quit yelling at others for who they are. Its a game at the end of the day and this isn't the debate forums.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,559 Member
    As a player of the sims i am all for the addition of culture in the game i am Canadian from the province of Quebec so i say each culture depending on where we live is distinctive and will agree that the game needs more culture like for exemple french canadien (quebec culture) france england egypt italian ect so as players of the sims no matter where we come from we should respect each other and be more open to the addition of culture in the sims4 game.
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    That's exactly it.

I agree and why don't you guys quit yelling at others for who they are. Its a game at the end of the day and this isn't the debate forums.

We aren't yelling at others.
  • Options
    As a player of the sims i am all for the addition of culture in the game i am Canadian from the province of Quebec so i say each culture depending on where we live is distinctive and will agree that the game needs more culture like for exemple french canadien (quebec culture) france england egypt italian ect so as players of the sims no matter where we come from we should respect each other and be more open to the addition of culture in the sims4 game.
    I find it interesting that you're specific about being of Quebec culture, but then make a very generalised comment about France, England, Egypt and Italy. They too, all have regional cultural variations. French speaking Canada is different to English speaking Canada, the North of England is different to the South, and so on.

• Options
    Yeah, one of my biggest concerns was influence on the younger generation. I want them to be proud of everything that runs in their blood without feeling like they are descendants of brutal invaders in this end of 2020.

South Koreans’ claim to the removals was mostly based on the historical event, the annexation of Korea, which was done by Japanese Empire even before my grandparents were born. The leaders of Japanese government have apologized several times so far. We also agreed to supply 300 million USD in grants to the Republic of Korea and extend loans up to 200 million USD, upon the normalization of our relationship in 1965. Our leader declared “we must not let the future generations, who have nothing to do with that war, be predestined to apologize. This is the responsibility of the current generation that is alive at this moment.” Regardless of the agreement, those anti-Japanese people are still saying that was definitely not enough.

But before arguing if our apology was enough or not, I think we all knew that the shrine was just a fictional mountain god and the pattern on that kimono was just a fan. We’ve never insisted on adding real military flags or Yasukuni shrine, which obviously has a connection with the war crimes. EA, however, suddenly started listening to that anti-group and decided the modification of the contents. By doing so, EA brought the real idea “Japanese are descendants of the invaders who deserve to be chopped off from this inclusive game and community” to The Sims 4. Maybe I’m overreacting now, but I definitely don’t want my kids to play this game right now, as I know Japanese Americans usually struggle to find out who they are when they are young. If they found out why the vow interaction was removed, they might be ashamed of one of their origins in the wrong way.
  • Options
    Yeah, one of my biggest concerns was influence on the younger generation. I want them to be proud of everything that runs in their blood without feeling like they are descendants of brutal invaders in this end of 2020.

South Koreans’ claim to the removals was mostly based on the historical event, the annexation of Korea, which was done by Japanese Empire even before my grandparents were born. The leaders of Japanese government have apologized several times so far. We also agreed to supply 300 million USD in grants to the Republic of Korea and extend loans up to 200 million USD, upon the normalization of our relationship in 1965. Our leader declared “we must not let the future generations, who have nothing to do with that war, be predestined to apologize. This is the responsibility of the current generation that is alive at this moment.” Regardless of the agreement, those anti-Japanese people are still saying that was definitely not enough.

But before arguing if our apology was enough or not, I think we all knew that the shrine was just a fictional mountain god and the pattern on that kimono was just a fan. We’ve never insisted on adding real military flags or Yasukuni shrine, which obviously has a connection with the war crimes. EA, however, suddenly started listening to that anti-group and decided the modification of the contents. By doing so, EA brought the real idea “Japanese are descendants of the invaders who deserve to be chopped off from this inclusive game and community” to The Sims 4. Maybe I’m overreacting now, but I definitely don’t want my kids to play this game right now, as I know Japanese Americans usually struggle to find out who they are when they are young. If they found out why the vow interaction was removed, they might be ashamed of one of their origins in the wrong way.

That's one of the biggest problems of 2020, Sins of the Father BS, PC People blame others for the crimes of their ancestors, The very same people who claim to be "fighting" racism are same ones keeping it alive, what's wrong with burying the hatchet and letting bygones be bygones, it's now at an all time high because people couldn't let go of the past, we didn't have this much drama in the 90s and early 2000s.
  • Options
    That's one of the biggest problems of 2020, Sins of the Father BS, PC People blame others for the crimes of their ancestors, The very same people who claim to be "fighting" racism are same ones keeping it alive, what's wrong with burying the hatchet and letting bygones be bygones, it's now at an all time high because people couldn't let go of the past, we didn't have this much drama in the 90s and early 2000s.

Yeah, I know I’m annoying. I don’t bring a hatchet at all. I am only criticizing the way EA did. I don’t see any enemies to yell at here, since EA keeps on ignoring us. You guys just posted your thoughts from the different perspectives. I mostly felt interesting. I wish some of us, Japanese Simmers, could hear from EA and make sure what their true intention of the pack was, while I’m quacking here. It looks like they truly decided to kick us out of the community.
    we didn't have this much drama in the 90s and early 2000s.

Yeah, because someone has succeeded in burying ugly things. It’s getting harder to hide these things nowadays.
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited December 2020

Yeah some of the same people who love to pride themelves on being open-minded are some of the most intolerant. They love to box people into categories and silence people they dont agree with. One culture and people becomes sacred, another ripe for insults and disdain. On the path to becoming understanding, its gone extreme, theyve become rigid and prideful, picking and choosing who deserves respect and who should be shamed outside of soceity. Its a very unhealthy mindset. Not to mention all the virtue signaling, petty comments, and jumping to conclusions without all the info. Its immature and really just a lot of misdirected repressed anger.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Yeah some of the same people who love to pride themelves on being open-minded are some of the most intolerant. They love to box people into categories and silence people they dont agree with. One culture and people becomes sacred, another ripe for insults and disdain. On the path to becoming understanding, its gone extreme, theyve become rigid and prideful, picking and choosing who deserves respect and who should be shamed outside of soceity. Its a very unhealthy mindset. Not to mention all the virtue signaling, petty comments, and jumping to conclusions without all the info. Its immature and really just a lot of misdirected repressed anger.

It really doesn't bother me what they call me since as an outcast and a freak of nature I'm used to being shamed outside society, it's their violent approach that really bothers me, there are certain lines you don't cross like Abortions, Ped0philia, Looting and Terrorism, I support Black Lives since that is part of my heritage but not the way Antifa does it, sorry if I'm getting off track.
  • Options
    Lorenerd11Lorenerd11 Posts: 105 Member
    edited December 2020
    Yeah some of the same people who love to pride themelves on being open-minded are some of the most intolerant.
    I'll just post this to sum up how I feel on this one.

89tbc0U.png
    there are certain lines you don't cross like Abortions
    If you don't like abortions then don't have one, but don't impose that choice on others. Forcing people to carry a pregnancy against their will is incredibly violating.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Lorenerd11 wrote: »
    I'll just post this to sum up how I feel on this one.

89tbc0U.png

I can sympathize, decency is the boundary for tolerance. There are some things I consider indecent (for example "cancelling") and something I wouldn't support. What I will not tolerance is a lack of respect for every individual despite their ethnic background and I dont hold the actions of their ancestors against them. Or just because someone has another lifestyle, culture, or worldview they must conform to yours. I consider that close-minded and intolerant. If that doesn't apply to you, carry on.

• Options
    Lorenerd11Lorenerd11 Posts: 105 Member
    There are some things I consider indecent (for example "cancelling")
    Most of the time "canceling" amounts to some celebrity being criticized or disliked.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Lorenerd11 wrote: »
    There are some things I consider indecent (for example "cancelling")
    Most of the time "canceling" amounts to some celebrity being criticized or disliked.

Cancelling and cancel culture is not just criticism, and I dont mean just critcism. Idc if people dislike a celebrity or a rando. People get insulted, are disliked or gets criticized all the time.

I mean pulling up old comments from years ago, continuous attacks against them and flooding that info to others to then attack them online, threatening their friends or family, misinformation being spread everywhere, assumptions being made, lies and rumors being circulated, or causing people o lose their job or jeopardize their safety. Cancelling isnt just criticism.

Also some celebs or ordinary people who get 'cancelled' I may not agree with the ideology of the attackers, or the criticism itself, and I despise the methods some go through in order to force someone to accept a worldview. Its an extremist mindset and has been played out in many different ways in a lot of countries histories through turbulent times. Its nothing new. Still dispicable. Its like witch trials.

Anyways this is a derail, but I feel aspects of cancel culture is what led to to a feature like this and why ones similiar won't be introduced, and I disagree with EA siding along with it.

• Options

It really doesn't bother me what they call me since as an outcast and a freak of nature I'm used to being shamed outside society, it's their violent approach that really bothers me, there are certain lines you don't cross like Abortions, Ped0philia, Looting and Terrorism, I support Black Lives since that is part of my heritage but not the way Antifa does it, sorry if I'm getting off track.

Not, that I don't agree with you.We need to be careful not talking about politics it's not allow.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top