Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"We Aim To Be Inclusive"

Comments

• Options
    DarkwingzDarkwingz Posts: 83 Member
    Barbie430 wrote: »
    keekee53 wrote: »
    Boy do I miss the good ole days when Sims was about Sims. Yes it simulated life but there was still a Sim quirkiness about the game. Now we have to have the right skins, the right pronouns, the right hair, the right shrine worship...

I have to admit, that I am getting tired of it. As an African American, I would like better skin tones but at this point I wish they would just make a good game. You know when I played sims 1 and 2, I was having a grand time not thinking about skins, hair, pronouns etc. Yes I had cc for skin and hair which was good enough for me. I wasn't focused on it so much because I was actually having a good time PLAYING. Now that we have so many people in CAS and never playing the game, there is so much focus on stuff that quite frankly would not be as important if the game was more fun. You hear that EA. Forget the inclusive business and make the game more fun.

As an African American, I wholeheartedly disagree. Just because you were okay with the skins and hair on offer back in “the good ole days” doesn’t mean everyone was. I surely wasn’t. There’s been an ongoing campaign for EA to fix skin tones for years. People like to make sims that look like them and for a while many couldn’t do that.

@Barbie430 But I do want to point out that a lot of people over-reacted with that. I do understand wanting to have skins that represent real-life but you also have to take into consideration the technological limitations that come with this. Neither the light nor darker skintones looks like real life skin but people are still complaining over the smallest details on the darker skin tones. To be fair, the white skintones don't look like real biological skin either and that cannot be achieved in a 2014 game made to run on low end computers.

I understand wanting to have more realistic skincolors in the Sims 4 and I support that but now there are people going like "oh do you see that tiny spot on the skin that looks kind of weird? That's not realistic! EA is insensitive, sue them!".

Did you know that actual photo realistic skin can take multiple team members to make?
    So yes, technology can be extremely detrimental if you cannot implement proper shaders and dynamic lighting effects.
    There are several tutorials out there for different programs, but I'll link to Photoshop as an example.
    I wasn't going to insert myself into this argument but I really do this this whole inclusive thing has gone too far. I just want a fun VIDEO GAME. And I don't want to see anyone complaining when the upcoming packs are dry, boring, nothing risky or dangerous or scary, cultureless and basic. Because they are terrified of offending with no matter what they do.🙄 it grinds my gears because people are messing up my favorite game. Then complain it's childish and boring. No fear emotion no robbers no scary ghosts no zombies etc.
    I will never even see the repo man in my life because he only comes for unpaid loans or something and it's impossible not to have money somehow without cheating it to zero. Because peope didn't want their stuff gone.

Vampires and celebrities got nerfed. Now the invites. My favorite cc skins about to get broken in Dec. The bowing I had plans for removed. And other stuff they removed from the pack also. Modders found it in the code or wherever.
    The name of the insane trait had to be changed. And forget about disabilities now I know they will never touch on the subject.

So that barbie video posted by @temporalgod
    Is exactly what we will get from now on.

Wait, when did they change the Insane trait?
    What'd they change it to?
    I haven't had time to dedicate myself to any new builds or make new Sims families to test my builds.
    You can search for my builds with EA Account ID: MASTERDARKWINGZ
    No longer taking build requests/questions, sorry.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Darkwingz wrote: »
    I haven't had time to dedicate myself to any new builds or make new Sims families to test my builds.

They only changed the name to Irrational. The mechanics of it did not change in any way.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    edited November 2020

They only changed the name to Irrational. The mechanics of it did not change in any way.

They changed it to the " erratic trait".

Inb4 people try to speak for users like me who are actually diagnosed with Autism, and start screeching that the trait is even more "offensive."
    As a matter of fact, when I was a teen, we at a Special Education school found normies to be the oddballs of the world.
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,192 Member
    Boy do I miss the good ole days when Sims was about Sims. Yes it simulated life but there was still a Sim quirkiness about the game. Now we have to have the right skins, the right pronouns, the right hair, the right shrine worship...

I have to admit, that I am getting tired of it. As an African American, I would like better skin tones but at this point I wish they would just make a good game. You know when I played sims 1 and 2, I was having a grand time not thinking about skins, hair, pronouns etc. Yes I had cc for skin and hair which was good enough for me. I wasn't focused on it so much because I was actually having a good time PLAYING. Now that we have so many people in CAS and never playing the game, there is so much focus on stuff that quite frankly would not be as important if the game was more fun. You hear that EA. Forget the inclusive business and make the game more fun.

As an African American, I wholeheartedly disagree. Just because you were okay with the skins and hair on offer back in “the good ole days” doesn’t mean everyone was. I surely wasn’t. There’s been an ongoing campaign for EA to fix skin tones for years. People like to make sims that look like them and for a while many couldn’t do that.

@Barbie430 But I do want to point out that a lot of people over-reacted with that. I do understand wanting to have skins that represent real-life but you also have to take into consideration the technological limitations that come with this. Neither the light nor darker skintones looks like real life skin but people are still complaining over the smallest details on the darker skin tones. To be fair, the white skintones don't look like real biological skin either and that cannot be achieved in a 2014 game made to run on low end computers.

I understand wanting to have more realistic skincolors in the Sims 4 and I support that but now there are people going like "oh do you see that tiny spot on the skin that looks kind of weird? That's not realistic! EA is insensitive, sue them!".

Did you know that actual photo realistic skin can take multiple team members to make?
    So yes, technology can be extremely detrimental if you cannot implement proper shaders and dynamic lighting effects.
    There are several tutorials out there for different programs, but I'll link to Photoshop as an example.
    I wasn't going to insert myself into this argument but I really do this this whole inclusive thing has gone too far. I just want a fun VIDEO GAME. And I don't want to see anyone complaining when the upcoming packs are dry, boring, nothing risky or dangerous or scary, cultureless and basic. Because they are terrified of offending with no matter what they do.🙄 it grinds my gears because people are messing up my favorite game. Then complain it's childish and boring. No fear emotion no robbers no scary ghosts no zombies etc.
    I will never even see the repo man in my life because he only comes for unpaid loans or something and it's impossible not to have money somehow without cheating it to zero. Because peope didn't want their stuff gone.

Vampires and celebrities got nerfed. Now the invites. My favorite cc skins about to get broken in Dec. The bowing I had plans for removed. And other stuff they removed from the pack also. Modders found it in the code or wherever.
    The name of the insane trait had to be changed. And forget about disabilities now I know they will never touch on the subject.

They changed it to the " erratic trait".
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    As for going back to the issue of how to produce new skin colors, I suggest that EA should have a meeting with SEGA on the topic of Phantasy Star Online 2.
    You should ask the Japanese developers how they utilized the technology they had at the time of the Vita, and the ongoing process of upgrading and improving the data in order to get the level of graphics which they will produce in PSO2 NGS.
    Since both companies appear to be open to collaboration production, it might be a worthy investment of time for the possibility of a return investment.
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member

Yes and now take that finished picture this guy did on Photoshop and imagine that thing moving in a video game. The amount of graphics card power you would need for a skintone so realistic probably doens't even exist yet.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited November 2020
    Ah the erratic trait, I remembered i read blog some simmers wrote that complain about insane trait and taking offense of the name, and they changed it soon after, people really do get offended over petty thing these days.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    m3ukkiem3ukkie Posts: 45 Member
    Yes, I agree with @keekee53 and @Babykittyjade basically.
    All I wanted is a fun game and I’ve never wanted the game and my Sims to be our perfect representatives at all. I rather got surprised by EA’s decision to make them realistic, as I wrote. I’ve never insisted on any further change either. I know the other Japanese Simmers do and I’d like to respect their opinion as a Japanese Simmer, but right now those critical glitches are getting worse. I personally think the bug fix should be more beneficial for overall community for now.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    What’s the definition of “inclusive” in this case, by the way? I know I have a dictionary, but the whole figure is still vague to me. EA used this word to exclude our unsuitable things, presumably, from the game. So, the game must be inclusive right now, at least for more Simmers than Japanese Simmers, according to the SimGuruGraham.

How’s that feeling? I’m simply curious. When you play an inclusive game or belong to an inclusive community, it should be fun at least, because The Sims 4 is a game.

At first, Glitches led me to this forum and the bug reports. I just happened to have an old broken pack and needed to wait for almost a year till the fix without any response. In the meanwhile, they kept on releasing new packs constantly, which caused another glitch again and again. So, I felt a huge gap between the devs and me. I’ve never felt that “inclusive” vibe in the community, as far as the devs say so, even before this controversy popped up.

I used to think it was OK, because in that way, the devs can focus on their works to make the game better, but they’ve lately started releasing even a broken pack and patch from the start. And then, they listened to that complaining group anting a certain country, race, religion, culture, and whatever they don’t like. It’s going to be an endless game. They are going to get rid of any gameplay or objects from this game, just because they need something to hate. After all, my game has a critical glitch that causes crashing frequently. I sense more like apocalypse-like atmosphere from the game.

Communication is here to lead a life and things in a group smoothly. EA crossed the line first. When EA excluded a part of us from the game and community, under the name of “inclusive,” we first tried to communicate with them to make sure there was nothing like a conflict between us, but as I wrote, they kept ignoring us. That ignorance means they admit that they excluded us from the “inclusive” community. That’s the reason I got terrified.

Japanese people are usually clumsy and care nothing for fighting with people. I’m sick and tired of this argument, too. We could have shaken hands and done did earlier, but we were rejected. I’m just sad. I’d like to go back to my place and support the devs who will to make a good game again from the perspective of gamers themselves.
    Post edited by m3ukkie on
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited November 2020

Some years ago they changed the name to the erratic trait instead because people flew into outrage over the name "insane" lol I'm surprised they didn't remove it all together.
    But I definitely want more risky/awkward traits.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    Lorenerd11Lorenerd11 Posts: 105 Member
    Lighting and extinguishing the candles is the literal practice of a Menorah. Even Christians know this.
    Yes, but it's not the only way a Menorah is interacted with. What I'm saying is that the object doesn't include any special prayer/contemplation interactions.

• Options
    Lorenerd11 wrote: »
    Lighting and extinguishing the candles is the literal practice of a Menorah. Even Christians know this.
    Yes, but it's not the only way a Menorah is interacted with. What I'm saying is that the object doesn't include any special prayer/contemplation interactions.

Incantations don't really have to count to a censorship organization as worship or religious.
    All it has to do is seem "inappropriate" to even the dumbest of moderators that any community will likely spite as a result.
    Not even Pokemon can be safe from the lack of normies utilizing the ESRB/PEGI rating system. Video on that.
  • Options
    temporalgodtemporalgod Posts: 800 Member
    The Sims was already Inclusive since it's conception, anyone can play the sims no matter their age, sex or race, If you didn't know that before, I hope you do now, it's meant to be a fun wacky life/death simulator, just like the weird wacky universe of Saints Row, it's not suppose to make sense, I know I don't speak for all of us but as a simmer, I don't want realism in a game that's meant for escaping reality.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    The Sims was already Inclusive since it's conception, anyone can play the sims no matter their age, sex or race, If you didn't know that before, I hope you do now, it's meant to be a fun wacky life/death simulator, just like the weird wacky universe of Saints Row, it's not suppose to make sense, I know I don't speak for all of us but as a simmer, I don't want realism in a game that's meant for escaping reality.

Thank you for sharing your thought :)
    I totally agree with the last line “I don't want realism in a game that's meant for escaping reality.” Totally!

I’ve never expected such realistic things in this game, either. It was EA’s decision to bring our religious thing and the other realistic things in this game. Since they brought an exact thing, people started to think naturally that it was supposed to be used at least in the proper way, too – well, I honestly wanted the devs to add more like, a funnier interaction as well as the original use, though - but EA made it solely impossible. So now, some of Japanese Simmers and the others who respect the religion and culture can’t enjoy the original use of the object in this game. Yeah, anyone can play The Sims, but how about a part of us now? Now they can’t enjoy the play despite the original use of the object. I feel the exclusiveness from this point, as if EA were saying “We want your culture as an accessory, but don’t want to let you guys in our community actually.”

Oh, I forgot to mention this: I know Saints Row is a fiction, and The Sims 4 is also a fiction, but the religion and Japanse culture are real. There are certain people who belong to and actually get affected.
    Post edited by m3ukkie on
  • Options
    SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    edited November 2020
    As the sims is a criticism of the US Society and still portrayed and developed as these, better sometimes to be not represented at all, if it to be turned into ridiculous this is the reason why Afro-American are upset by the Guru Team, just look at the cauliflower hairstyle from the BG a pure threat, this is an insult. That makes me disgusting and chocked too even though I am not . (and I do not support BLM or any kind of Communitarism that's not in my culture)
    That's why none of the colourskins for the Black as for any other people are correct. This game is a pure fiction and a pure parody.
    If Inclusion means okay let's joke on , that couldn't be correct.

Look at how we are turned into ridiculous , us the "Cold" Trait in ts4. We are portrayed as people who are about to have a heart attack of horror when we see any kind of romantic relashionship actions in front of us, at the risk of being homophobic in front of a lgbt+ couple who kiss (perhaps the designers are homophobes I don't know but this is litterally homophobia in disguise) ...that's exaggerate and completely out the reality.

We do not play with Reality in the mockery we are all targeted and not everything can't be turn into Fun. Better to be forgotten !

Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)
  • Options
    As the sims is a criticism of the US Society and still portrayed and developed as these, better sometimes to be not represented at all, if it to be turned into ridiculous this is the reason why Afro-American are upset by the Guru Team, just look at the cauliflower hairstyle from the BG a pure threat, this is an insult. That makes me disgusting and chocked too even though I am not . (and I do not support BLM or any kind of Communitarism that's not in my culture)
    That's why none of the colourskins for the Black as for any other people are correct. This game is a pure fiction and a pure parody.
    If Inclusion means okay let's joke on , that couldn't be correct.

Look at how we are turned into ridiculous , us the "Cold" Trait in ts4. We are portrayed as people who are about to have a heart attack of horror when we see any kind of romantic relashionship actions in front of us, at the risk of being ❤️❤️❤️❤️ in front of a lgbt+ couple who kiss (perhaps the designers are ❤️❤️❤️❤️ I don't know but this is litterally homophobia in disguise) ...that's exaggerate and completely out the reality.

We do not play with Reality in the mockery we are all targeted and not everything can't be turn into Fun. Better to be forgotten !

I think I may be still mistaken.

Again, I totally agree with the line “This game is a pure fiction and a pure parody.” I thought and still think it should be. It should be fun to play. I wish I could go back before Snowy Escape’s release and enjoy that parody. It was EA who brought the real religious thing and real problem into the game, listening to the haters and rejecting us afterwards.
  • Options
    I and even my Simmer friends here in Japan have never expected such realistic things in this game at first. We’ve talked like “I think they will add a samurai, ninja, katana or something typical Japanese, or maybe there could be a language skill and some weird behaviors related to taking a photo in the new pack.” A samurai statue riding on a llamacorn or a mystical mother Ninja coming with 8 tiny golden wolves to assassinate someone or celebrate a life, whatever, we could accept all as far as they were fiction, and most importantly, hilarious. We all got surprised at Snowy Escape’s realistic style and EA listening to that anti-group. If it was a pure fiction, why did EA need to change the contents at first?

EA adapted the real religious and cultural objects into the game. That was clearly not a demand from Japanese Simmers’ side. So, we soon came up with the theory: EA wanted to make money out of our culture after the big hit of Ghost of Tsushima. I won’t criticize that if it’s true. Money is vital for everyone, but I can’t help thinking the major skintone update, which I know more have longed for, is still on its way. How ironical. In the meanwhile, they first made a Japanese themed pack which at least most of Japanese Simmers didn’t expect at all. We got rather confused by EA's decision. And after all, my game got messed up with those glitches.

I’m just afraid that this could be the first tier of the negative spiral, or maybe the second. I think the next major update will be the skintone update. If haters started complaining anything, EA would say again like “I understand your concern. We’ll erase some of the tones from the palette. We aim to be inclusive.” The reason could be anything, because haters gonna hate anyway. And the update would mess up CAS and whole game system again. In the meanwhile, EA keep creating a new pack or another broken one to earn money. Then we go back to the first line.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited November 2020
    On one side: Minorities wanting to be able to make Sims just like themselves.
    On the other side: White CIS people saying "I don't want realism in my games".

I know who I support and who I listen to.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    A mod has already been created that puts the interaction back into the game. The coding was left in, but just disabled and the mod re-enables it. As for the skin tone update, it is touted to be more for those with darker skin tones. As a very white woman, my skintone is not currently represented as well. All the tones are too orange. My IRL skintone is very pale white with a blue/purple undertone. So the update might actually help achieve that too.
  • Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    I’ve always thought the franchise has been pretty inclusive I’ve always been able to create diverse sims in all versions I’ve played. I don’t understand why people say it’s not inclusive. It’s a game where you have the freedom to create the sims you want and tell their stories. Yes sims 4 is lacking in gameplay which is a different issue all by itself but you can still create as many diverse sims as you want and have done since it came out 20 years ago. If anything we have more options now.
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited November 2020
    netney52 wrote: »
    I’ve always thought the franchise has been pretty inclusive I’ve always been able to create diverse sims in all versions I’ve played. I don’t understand why people say it’s not inclusive. It’s a game where you have the freedom to create the sims you want and tell their stories. Yes sims 4 is lacking in gameplay which is a different issue all by itself but you can still create as many diverse sims as you want and have done since it came out 20 years ago. If anything we have more options now.

@netney52 The Sims series has always been one of the most inclusive video-game franchises out there and still is to this day. I think it's doing well in the inclusivity department.
    They have however gone a bit too far in my opinion by adding places and traditions that are from real-life. I mean don't get me wrong, I would love to get a pack with a more greece-inspired place, since I am greek but I wouldn't want them to recreate Greece in a Sims game, what's the point of that. It's only trouble, is what it is.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member

@Beardedgeek Now now. Saying "I dont want realism in my game" is a tad silly. Realism is fine, but it stops being "realistic" when those pesky minorities start wanting ridiculous things like "representation" and "inclusion"! Then it becomes "unrealistic" and "pAndERinG!"
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,192 Member
    edited November 2020

@Beardedgeek Now now. Saying "I dont want realism in my game" is a tad silly. Realism is fine, but it stops being "realistic" when those pesky minorities start wanting ridiculous things like "representation" and "inclusion"! Then it becomes "unrealistic" and "pAndERinG!"

We already have representation in the sims.No one here is against diversity.No one complained about.Chinese new year, Dwaii or Mexican.things being added to the game .Or the game world being Japanese base. .Even before I can still make black sims.Please also stop treating minorities as a hive mind, or think any opposition is white.Because I am black.We are all different, and have opinions.
  • Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    @SimmerGeorge I agree with you I once saw a post on this forum about how the new snowy escape pack should have been eastern Asian themed rather than Japan. A bit like jungle adventure and get together where they embrace multiple cultures I think that would have been the way to go. On another note I would love a Greek world and have always wanted to go to Greece.
  • Options
    temporalgodtemporalgod Posts: 800 Member
    edited November 2020

@Beardedgeek Now now. Saying "I don't want realism in my game" is a tad silly. Realism is fine, but it stops being "realistic" when those pesky minorities start wanting ridiculous things like "representation" and "inclusion"! Then it becomes "unrealistic" and "pAndERinG!"

We already have representation in the sims. No one here is against diversity. No one complained about. Chinese new year, Dwaii or Mexican. things being added to the game .Or the game world being Japanese base. .Even before I can still make black sims. Please also stop treating minorities as a hive mind, or think any opposition is white. Because I am black. We are all different, and have opinions.

I have to agree with Horrorgirl6, I'm mixed myself on my mother's side, some minorities don't like it when other people pity them or tell them what to do or tell them how to think, EA should have done a private screening before releasing the trailer, why would you put something in the trailer in the first place, if you're just going to remove it, it was bad marketing in general, we aren't angry because of representation, we're angry because of the hypocrisy.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top