Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

❄️Snowy Escape❄️ Official Live Stream - Let's Watch Together!

Comments

• Options
    WallSims4everWallSims4ever Posts: 755 Member
    Rouensims wrote: »
    j1z1 wrote: »

Maybe I missed it, but did anyone ask about taking dogs on hikes?

Oh man, at first I thought this said "talking dogs on hikes," and I got so excited! I'll just go chew my pipe in frustration.

It's actually possible!! One of the game changers said it in her video (OshinSims I believe). She didn't show it cause they were only playing with base game, but she asked the gurus and they said dogs can go on hikes too!
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    The "Salary Man" sounds like what we in the midwest US call a "Wage Slave." If it's done with a dash of humor and an abundance of stereotype it won't bother me and I'll play it on occasion with amusement. Does it have two branches though?

My niece wears a school uniform in Dallas, Texas. I think it's more common as a public school thing in the US in cities where there may be a lot of economic difference between students and they want to at least reduce class-related bullying by taking away the ability to wear designer clothes. I have never lived in a city big enough to go in that direction.
  • Options
    WallSims4everWallSims4ever Posts: 755 Member
    Daephene wrote: »
    The "Salary Man" sounds like what we in the midwest US call a "Wage Slave." If it's done with a dash of humor and an abundance of stereotype it won't bother me and I'll play it on occasion with amusement. Does it have two branches though?

My niece wears a school uniform in Dallas, Texas. I think it's more common as a public school thing in the US in cities where there may be a lot of economic difference between students and they want to at least reduce class-related bullying by taking away the ability to wear designer clothes. I have never lived in a city big enough to go in that direction.

Yes, there are two branches, Expert and Supervisor, I think. It seems to be very stereotypical, which I'm also here for.

I would like if we had the option to wear uniforms in other worlds too. They'll probably patch it.
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    What was Nancy Landgraab doing there?
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,964 Member
    edited October 2020
    I'm so sad that we didn't get futon though

whats with constant lack of snooze options seriously

are they gonna do "my first sleeping stuff" or something?

I recall with IL the mystery of missing hammock as well

also i saw there was nap option for kotatsu table but i really hope its not just sitting upright while zzz like let them lean on the table or blob to lay on the nice tatami or something
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    Metior_IceMetior_Ice Posts: 3,103 Member
    Dang, a lot happened when I walked away.

I thought I would clarify a thought that might have been unclear.

I do want to see content from other packs interacting with the new expansion pack primarily because Eco Living introduced NAPs and that had a weir effect on content in other packs.

Some examples from my gameplay:

Roughhousing Encouraged will finish the Sulani Quest to clean up the islands without cleaning up trash. There is this sulfur stuff that glitches when it doesn't get cleaned up and doesn't go away when the island improves like other trash. It's also weird that brawling over disagreements is a positive toward the island with any positive actions toward conservation. The quest to clean up Sulani is progressed in every single Sulani Neighborhood. NAPs also caused unusual spawning of items that forced sims to swim from the middle of open water found almost exclusively in Sulani to the shore to perform an interaction that spawned in their inventory.

Will NAPs break the immersion in this world too? Will there be anything from this pack that will impact gameplay in other worlds. Places like Sulani and Strangerville have world specific moodlets. Sulani has an uncomfortable oil slick moodlet that I imagine the hot springs could help among other things.

Merfolk don't have consistent changes in their form in all tubs, but when ever they swim in open water or get in a tub their form changes. This is true for Sulani and the University World, but the stuff pack with hot tubs doesn't have that detail.

For content from other packs, the specific details would be rather minor and connected to pack specific content like the Mountain, Hot Springs, Temples, Shrines, and etc.

For anything more major, I would rather it be a patch or come with content that wouldn't exist in the game without the pack like Weather in the Seasons Expansion pack.

I think that should clarify my thoughts. I look forward to watching more content from the gurus and other official videos from the sims team.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    calaprfy wrote: »

I haven't figured out why sims from other worlds are such a problem. For most of the packs, with the exception of the Starwars one, Sims visit other worlds all the time. I had sim premades from Sulani visit Strangerville while I played as a scientist... I just think of them as tourists, but I live in a place that gets lots of tourists... Maybe I'm just used to seeing people that are out of place...

Had to edit this in: I don't know why a mermaid and self-proclaimed ambassador that only visits with extra food to take my food with higher quality than his pork would visit a place like Strangerville during their strangeness...
  • Options
    Daephene wrote: »

Uniforms are definitely a new development in my area. I graduated from high school before they made a lot of changes. Unfortunately, the changes they were ready to make weren't that well thought out. However, I noticed that uniforms are primarily a private school thing.

I'm wondering if it'll be like work related outfits for kids and teens going to school. At least functionally, I can see that as well as the option to use the outfits in other attire.

I need to watch the gameplay more closely. I'm sure I missed stuff considering how it was harder to find mixed in with other videos I didn't want to watch.
  • Options
    somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    To the people complaining about uniforms in-game and the term salaryman--this is what we get when we take the focus off America or the western world and get more worldly cultures. As people already said, Japanese students wear uniforms, as well as in other countries. Salaryman is just a term for office worker in Japan.
    It's not that big of a deal.

I, for one, am excited for the game after seeing the Livestream. I was originally on the fence about this pack, but I'll be getting it for sure. Adds so much to my game, especially rentals and the homes we can make. All the decor and the hotpot have me so excited.

The big deal about "Salaryperson" is not the name, it's the concept that comes with it: the Company Loyalty, the Mandatory Overtime, the destruction of personal life.
    I have a viseral reaction to that not because of the name, but the concept as such is horrible. As I said I come from a culture with strong unions, where companies have to make sure to treat their employees not as a workforce but as a collection of individuals with different needs and wants, where overtime is very much discouraged, and the whole concept of the company slave is really horrible to me. It is literally what we have fought tooth and nail to get away from in this country since the early 1900s.

The "School uniform" thing is not as bad, I don't approve of it, but other cultures manages to have it without turning their kids into company drones at graduation at least.

Yes, it's horrible. And perfect for those who like to torture their sims a bit.
    To me, it's almost the same dark humor that I adored so much in TS2. And I can already imagine some great storylines that comes with it — a workaholic parent who doesn't have time for kids (we could barely have this previously, sims on the high career levels work like 3 days a week), a sim who works for this horrible company, then sees protesters in San Myshuno, joins them, realises how unhappy he was and later becomes a social activist or a politician who fight against those things.
  • Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    To the people complaining about uniforms in-game and the term salaryman--this is what we get when we take the focus off America or the western world and get more worldly cultures. As people already said, Japanese students wear uniforms, as well as in other countries. Salaryman is just a term for office worker in Japan.
    It's not that big of a deal.

I, for one, am excited for the game after seeing the Livestream. I was originally on the fence about this pack, but I'll be getting it for sure. Adds so much to my game, especially rentals and the homes we can make. All the decor and the hotpot have me so excited.

The big deal about "Salaryperson" is not the name, it's the concept that comes with it: the Company Loyalty, the Mandatory Overtime, the destruction of personal life.
    I have a viseral reaction to that not because of the name, but the concept as such is horrible. As I said I come from a culture with strong unions, where companies have to make sure to treat their employees not as a workforce but as a collection of individuals with different needs and wants, where overtime is very much discouraged, and the whole concept of the company slave is really horrible to me. It is literally what we have fought tooth and nail to get away from in this country since the early 1900s.

The "School uniform" thing is not as bad, I don't approve of it, but other cultures manages to have it without turning their kids into company drones at graduation at least.

I agree it's horrible but to be honest, it made me laugh. I don't mind some dark humour and poking at what real life can be. My sims don't tend to have jobs but I'll put one through it to just see.

Happy there's interactions on the monkey statues, hope there is ones on the shrines too. I liked a lot of what I saw.
    I expect sentiments to have no bearing whatsoever unfortunately as clearly demonstrated by the sim in the hot springs.
  • Options
    TheSpotted_CTheSpotted_C Posts: 293 Member
    I didn't watch with everyone but I just wanted to say that this was one of the best livestreams they put out. I usually hate watching these things because the guy gurus interrupt the ladies a lot and it's disorganized, not focused and just kind of cringe-y to watch. There were still some awkward, cringe-y moments but overall the format was much more focused on info about the game, gave everyone a chance to speak on what they knew and just felt so much more watchable.
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    edited October 2020
    Rouensims wrote: »
    j1z1 wrote: »

Maybe I missed it, but did anyone ask about taking dogs on hikes?

Oh man, at first I thought this said "talking dogs on hikes," and I got so excited! I'll just go chew my pipe in frustration.

It's actually possible!! One of the game changers said it in her video (OshinSims I believe). She didn't show it cause they were only playing with base game, but she asked the gurus and they said dogs can go on hikes too!

Oh wow, that's really awesome! :smiley:
    I still want talking dogs though! ;)

Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    So, this has been a bit of what I've been dealing with recently:

A quote from another thread:
    Jack-o-lantern pumpkins!

That took a long time, but I managed to update everything exactly how I wanted it without using cheats. Something happened with Eco Living NAPs, the Industrial Eco State, and my sim getting promoted to being a marine biologist that resulted in an usable save. Not sure how it happened, but I just couldn't take anymore glitches.

With the new expansion coming out, I am a bit paranoid about the potential bugs and some little details getting overlooked. However, there are some features I know that I want. I just really really don't want bugs from the pack to brake my save again.

Despite all of this and the hesitation I feel, all my attempts to talk myself out of buying the pack right away are failing. Provided that I don't have to repair a broken save from bugs, I may give into temptation. I like the build options, and while I haven't had a chance to watch everything in detail, I'm super hopeful that l can include a hot spring in Sulani for my merfolk. I'm also curious about the other features.

I'm a simple merman. I'm mostly particular about consistency and gosh darn it, merfolk change forms in all bodies of waters and tubs except hot tubs, and there is something about that inconsistency that bugs me. I might be a tiny bit OCD. Forgive me for being a squid brain.

I admit, that I prefer the tropical climate over the cold, mountain climates. Living in the colder worlds are less my style, but that doesn't mean I won't find a way to enjoy the mountain activities.
  • Options
    Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    Able to vacation in other worlds is going to be awesome. I found it odd there was no snowshoes for deep snow but the pack still looks amazing.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member

Okay can someone explain this reaction to me?
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    liliaethliliaeth Posts: 1,087 Member
    Gordy wrote: »
    New Salaryperson career, but it's a rabbithole. Long and stressful hours, with ways to decompress. Creative and immersive, but disappointing that we're still getting rabbithole-only careers this late in the game.

I actually like the occasional rabbit hole career, it's a good way to get some sims out of the way when you're playing with a big family. And for something like this, where watching the job would not be all that interesting to begin with, it's kinda best to do it that way.
  • Options
    revgrvrevgrv Posts: 225 Member
    edited October 2020
    I don't think school uniforms are enormously uncommon in non-American bits of the world, we have school uniforms for grade and high school. Public schools btw, definitely no connotations of rich or affluent lol.
    &PHgr;
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member

It was a business trip. She was making sure the power lines were up and running in the new world and everybody got a power supply contract. :lol:
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member

Immersion-breaking. I assume that buying this pack will also spawn NPCs in Japanese attire in all worlds. So much for the escape.

Though I thought the reaction from simmers to the school uniform was way over the top!
  • Options
    DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,144 Member
    edited October 2020
    Honestly I'm more than happy about the new career, finally a normal job, and I need it now. :D

Maybe some believe it's sterotype for Japan, but it fits to my home country too. Poorly paid with long and stressful hours too. Well we don't celebrate a company dance, but you are more or less obliged to dedicate your life for your job, so called motivation. This attitudes has changed in the recent years since the companies have quit their social responsibilities to their employees for more profit for themselves or shareholders. Now we are saying, if you pay just peanuts as salary, you only get the products of monkeys (don't expect high quality products).

According to school uniform, they are not common in my country too. But they do exist to cover up the wealth gap in some schools. They are more cozy leisure clothes than the stiff uniforms. But as far as I've heard, the race is then on the other stuff items. On the other hand I had once to wear a company outfit, I looked great in it and it was relaxing not to care about the daily outfit. It saved time in the morning.
  • Options
    edited October 2020

Immersion-breaking. I assume that buying this pack will also spawn NPCs in Japanese attire in all worlds. So much for the escape.

Though I thought the reaction from simmers to the school uniform was way over the top!

"Immersion breaking"?? Seriously??
    Again, that is not an explanation that makes sense.
    "OH look we can go on holiday in any world now! Also what is that Gaijin doing in my pure town?"

It just doesn't make sense unless there are actual Simmers who thought they would literally get a Japanese town in the 16th or 17th century when it was illegal for foreigners to enter Japan...
  • Options
    ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    I didn't have time to watch the whole thing, so my burning question is, if sims can now vacation in any world, does that mean they can also live in any world? I've been wanting to let my sims live in Granite Falls from day one.
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • Options
    ldmarko wrote: »
    I didn't have time to watch the whole thing, so my burning question is, if sims can now vacation in any world, does that mean they can also live in any world? I've been wanting to let my sims live in Granite Falls from day one.

I think not, unfortunately; I was excited about that but it doesn't look like it.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Karon wrote: »
    The decor plates are called Paranormal Plates... Happy Haunts hint? 🤔

maybe this pack/trailer has a lot of hints for next year? like the japanese school uniforms?

WHY do people obsess over these? There are LITERAL Japanese school girls in this pack. Hence, Japanese school uniforms.

@Beardedgeek because, I'm not sure if you were around here in the beginning of the year, but the madea poll... official one... asking us what stuff related to teens and high schoold we preferred, and if we wanted them or not. That happened aroudn the same time they made the poll asking us Snowy Escape stuff, which activities we wanted to do on snow, etc...

Private schools and School uniforms are so alien to me. For me it's only England, Japan that does it... and some very rich and privileged Americans.

School uniforms aren't necessarily a bad thing though. And they really aren't a synonym of being rich or attending a school for the rich. It's actually a way to not tell how rich or not a person is and it's a means to avoid bullying over clothing, as everyone wears the same thing. It's ok if it's not part of your culture but don't bash it just because it's different to you.

It is in most countries, because in most countries public schools have no uniforms. So outside England and Japan (that I know of), it is only expensive private schools only kids born with a whole set of silver cutlery in their mouths can go to. AND they tend to be quite full of abuse (often romanticized abuse, like in Harry Potter); the most prestigious Swedish private school had to be shut down for a year because the hazings of new students literally involved torture.

That's not a problem related to wearing a shcool uniform though. Just their education.

I went to a grammar school in the uk in the 1950's and believe me school uniforms were the only way of getting rid of the class bias of those girls from richer families and those from poorer ones in the school. We all wore the same. They enabled Prime Ministers like Ted Heath, Harold Wilson and Margaret Thatcher to get to the top.
  • Options
    Simburian wrote: »
    The decor plates are called Paranormal Plates... Happy Haunts hint? 🤔

maybe this pack/trailer has a lot of hints for next year? like the japanese school uniforms?

WHY do people obsess over these? There are LITERAL Japanese school girls in this pack. Hence, Japanese school uniforms.

@Beardedgeek because, I'm not sure if you were around here in the beginning of the year, but the madea poll... official one... asking us what stuff related to teens and high schoold we preferred, and if we wanted them or not. That happened aroudn the same time they made the poll asking us Snowy Escape stuff, which activities we wanted to do on snow, etc...

Private schools and School uniforms are so alien to me. For me it's only England, Japan that does it... and some very rich and privileged Americans.

School uniforms aren't necessarily a bad thing though. And they really aren't a synonym of being rich or attending a school for the rich. It's actually a way to not tell how rich or not a person is and it's a means to avoid bullying over clothing, as everyone wears the same thing. It's ok if it's not part of your culture but don't bash it just because it's different to you.

It is in most countries, because in most countries public schools have no uniforms. So outside England and Japan (that I know of), it is only expensive private schools only kids born with a whole set of silver cutlery in their mouths can go to. AND they tend to be quite full of abuse (often romanticized abuse, like in Harry Potter); the most prestigious Swedish private school had to be shut down for a year because the hazings of new students literally involved torture.

That's not a problem related to wearing a shcool uniform though. Just their education.

I went to a grammar school in the uk in the 1950's and believe me school uniforms were the only way of getting rid of the class bias of those girls from richer families and those from poorer ones in the school. We all wore the same. They enabled Prime Ministers like Ted Heath, Harold Wilson and Margaret Thatcher to get to the top.

First of all... Thatcher is not... an uncontroversial figure to begin with, let's leave her be.
    Second... I still don't undestand how that works unless you are forbidden to talk to your classmates so you never find out what street they live on. Not to mention other factors like racism and religious divides.