Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

❄️Snowy Escape❄️ Official Live Stream - Let's Watch Together!

Comments

• Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Karon wrote: »
    The decor plates are called Paranormal Plates... Happy Haunts hint? 🤔

maybe this pack/trailer has a lot of hints for next year? like the japanese school uniforms?

WHY do people obsess over these? There are LITERAL Japanese school girls in this pack. Hence, Japanese school uniforms.

@Beardedgeek because, I'm not sure if you were around here in the beginning of the year, but the madea poll... official one... asking us what stuff related to teens and high schoold we preferred, and if we wanted them or not. That happened aroudn the same time they made the poll asking us Snowy Escape stuff, which activities we wanted to do on snow, etc...

Private schools and School uniforms are so alien to me. For me it's only England, Japan that does it... and some very rich and privileged Americans.

School uniforms aren't necessarily a bad thing though. And they really aren't a synonym of being rich or attending a school for the rich. It's actually a way to not tell how rich or not a person is and it's a means to avoid bullying over clothing, as everyone wears the same thing. It's ok if it's not part of your culture but don't bash it just because it's different to you.

It is in most countries, because in most countries public schools have no uniforms. So outside England and Japan (that I know of), it is only expensive private schools only kids born with a whole set of silver cutlery in their mouths can go to. AND they tend to be quite full of abuse (often romanticized abuse, like in Harry Potter); the most prestigious Swedish private school had to be shut down for a year because the hazings of new students literally involved torture.

That's not a problem related to wearing a shcool uniform though. Just their education.

I went to a grammar school in the uk in the 1950's and believe me school uniforms were the only way of getting rid of the class bias of those girls from richer families and those from poorer ones in the school. We all wore the same. They enabled Prime Ministers like Ted Heath, Harold Wilson and Margaret Thatcher to get to the top.

First of all... Thatcher is not... an uncontroversial figure to begin with, let's leave her be.
    Second... I still don't undestand how that works unless you are forbidden to talk to your classmates so you never find out what street they live on. Not to mention other factors like racism and religious divides.

It's not a matter of finding out where everyone lives or what their parents jobs are. Poor kids don't have money to buy expensive clothes or even have enough clothes to change them everyday. Sometimes even uniforms are expensive for them.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »

maybe this pack/trailer has a lot of hints for next year? like the japanese school uniforms?

WHY do people obsess over these? There are LITERAL Japanese school girls in this pack. Hence, Japanese school uniforms.

@Beardedgeek because, I'm not sure if you were around here in the beginning of the year, but the madea poll... official one... asking us what stuff related to teens and high schoold we preferred, and if we wanted them or not. That happened aroudn the same time they made the poll asking us Snowy Escape stuff, which activities we wanted to do on snow, etc...

Private schools and School uniforms are so alien to me. For me it's only England, Japan that does it... and some very rich and privileged Americans.

School uniforms aren't necessarily a bad thing though. And they really aren't a synonym of being rich or attending a school for the rich. It's actually a way to not tell how rich or not a person is and it's a means to avoid bullying over clothing, as everyone wears the same thing. It's ok if it's not part of your culture but don't bash it just because it's different to you.

It is in most countries, because in most countries public schools have no uniforms. So outside England and Japan (that I know of), it is only expensive private schools only kids born with a whole set of silver cutlery in their mouths can go to. AND they tend to be quite full of abuse (often romanticized abuse, like in Harry Potter); the most prestigious Swedish private school had to be shut down for a year because the hazings of new students literally involved torture.

That's not a problem related to wearing a shcool uniform though. Just their education.

I went to a grammar school in the uk in the 1950's and believe me school uniforms were the only way of getting rid of the class bias of those girls from richer families and those from poorer ones in the school. We all wore the same. They enabled Prime Ministers like Ted Heath, Harold Wilson and Margaret Thatcher to get to the top.

First of all... Thatcher is not... an uncontroversial figure to begin with, let's leave her be.
    Second... I still don't undestand how that works unless you are forbidden to talk to your classmates so you never find out what street they live on. Not to mention other factors like racism and religious divides.

It's not a matter of finding out where everyone lives or what their parents jobs are. Poor kids don't have money to buy expensive clothes or even have enough clothes to change them everyday. Sometimes even uniforms are expensive for them.

That's my point tho; to think someone who gets off on bullying poor kids will not bully them because they are wearing a school uniform is unbelievable naive to me AND one of those "easy" solutions Adults who doesn't really care like to put in place so they can pat themselves on the back and pretend they do something.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options

That's my point tho; to think someone who gets off on bullying poor kids will not bully them because they are wearing a school uniform is unbelievable naive to me AND one of those "easy" solutions Adults who doesn't really care like to put in place so they can pat themselves on the back and pretend they do something.

Well, then that is one less issue to be bullied on. :smiley:
  • Options
    ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    ldmarko wrote: »
    I didn't have time to watch the whole thing, so my burning question is, if sims can now vacation in any world, does that mean they can also live in any world? I've been wanting to let my sims live in Granite Falls from day one.

I think not, unfortunately; I was excited about that but it doesn't look like it.

Oh well, it was worth a shot. Maybe some day.
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • Options

ANYWAY, I don't like school uniforms, but more importantly people who insist they are "foreshadowing" something when all they've done is being true to Japanese tradition are most likely just seeing things that aren't there.
  • Options

ANYWAY, I don't like school uniforms, but more importantly people who insist they are "foreshadowing" something when all they've done is being true to Japanese tradition are most likely just seeing things that aren't there.

Wish they would have tried to be true to Japanese tradition by adding tea, go, origami, and rock gardens to the pack rather than school uniforms. Also, shouldn't the skirts have been shorter?
  • Options
    Metior_IceMetior_Ice Posts: 3,103 Member
    edited October 2020
    I'm pretty excited about the new swimming areas. So far, Only Sulani and the University World have areas you can swim in.

I've only been able to look at the visuals so far. I'm a bit disappointed by the vending machines. Things looked different in the trailer.
  • Options

Wish they would have tried to be true to Japanese tradition by adding tea, go, origami, and rock gardens to the pack rather than school uniforms. Also, shouldn't the skirts have been shorter?

Aren't you confusing actual school uniforms with Anime?
  • Options
    edited October 2020

They usually stop above the knee, don't they?

dscn9314-the-ubiquitous-schoolgirls1.jpg

53535.jpg

83b3af54fe743f0cea19e839264ea824.jpg
  • Options

[img]https://www.🎃🎃🎃🎃.com/en/ncommon/contents/features/53535/53535.jpg[/img]

Well then maybe American prudishness is doing it? Or they are deliberately trying to avoid the fetishisation of School girls?
  • Options

Well then maybe American prudishness is doing it? Or they are deliberately trying to avoid the fetishisation of School girls?

I don't know what it is but the uniforms in game make them look like proper nuns. No teenage rebellions there. :lol: If it weren't for the socks you'd think they are working for Japanese airlines.
  • Options
    edited October 2020

I don't know what it is but the uniforms in game make them look like proper nuns. No teenage rebellions there. :lol: If it weren't for the socks you'd think they are working for Japanese airlines.

From my limited experience very few schools in America allows anything shorter than below the knee for boys or right to the knee for girls, uniform or not. So maybe alternative A?
  • Options
    inumaninuman Posts: 21 Member

The length is pretty much different from person to person. Some girls prefer it to be below their knees because of the fashion trend. Also they adjust the length to their height so that it looks good on them.

The article below shows the length tends to differ depending on the area.
    https://withnews.jp/article/f0170728006qq000000000000000G00110601qq000015642A
    Their survey tells the girls in the west erea of Japan prefer the longer one, while the girls in the east big cities tend to shorten it. By the way, girls in those mini skirts are wearing the short leggings inside, otherwise they can't do anything in such length.

I think the length of the skirt in the sims look realistic. Not too short, not too long, just average.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    I got to see some of the hot springs gameplay. With multilevel building, I'm hoping this will lead to ledges inside the pool to sit on. I remember the pool I grew up with having stairs in the shallow end and a place to sit without leaving the water in the deep end.

I love seeing the bats swooping around the guy. Ir would be fun if vampires in bat form could do that.

I love the tile patterns for the bath. I've felt like there aren't enough wall tile options for pools and baths for a while. I mean, I thought I did something creative with the ruins from Jungle Adventure only for my Sims to feel like it was dismally decorated. I just can't think of a lot of options that work for me. My favorite tile pattern causes an industrial footprint now.

Edits because of phone grammar mistakes.
    Post edited by Metior_Ice on
  • Options
    KatAnubisKatAnubis Posts: 3,241 Member
    "Salaryperson" seems like such an odd choice of name for a career. :/ The career doesn't sound at all interesting either.

"Salaryman" is the Japanese term for an office worker. It really doesn't translate well.

And as I said elsewhere, the whole thing is just horrible. The whole idea of that career is literally making me ill; it's all just brainwashing and torture (mandatory overtime, company anthem brainwashing). No sim of mine will ever do that career and I will edit all premades so no Sim in my game have to do it.

I wouldn't have one of my Sims have it either. Isn't it wonderful that they can have things in the game that *other* people might like even if *we* don't like them. I won't have anything to do with the Criminal careers either. Nor the "aspirations" that are like that. But I know that *others* do enjoy playing that way. The fact that they do have things for *everyone* even if they're not 100% what we would use is a *good* thing in my opinion.
  • Options
    KatAnubis wrote: »
    "Salaryperson" seems like such an odd choice of name for a career. :/ The career doesn't sound at all interesting either.

"Salaryman" is the Japanese term for an office worker. It really doesn't translate well.

And as I said elsewhere, the whole thing is just horrible. The whole idea of that career is literally making me ill; it's all just brainwashing and torture (mandatory overtime, company anthem brainwashing). No sim of mine will ever do that career and I will edit all premades so no Sim in my game have to do it.

I wouldn't have one of my Sims have it either. Isn't it wonderful that they can have things in the game that *other* people might like even if *we* don't like them. I won't have anything to do with the Criminal careers either. Nor the "aspirations" that are like that. But I know that *others* do enjoy playing that way. The fact that they do have things for *everyone* even if they're not 100% what we would use is a *good* thing in my opinion.

You misunderstand me, I don't want it Removed; unlike certain other things it can't be used to legitimize dictatorships or anything like that.
    But I still have a VERY visceral reaction to the whole concept and always had. It is one of the things about (modern) Japan that I tend to imagine doesn't exist.
  • Options
    j1z1j1z1 Posts: 311 Member
    edited October 2020
    @Rouensims :D

@WallSims4ever Thank you!

@calapfry Rich people do love their skiing holidays
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited October 2020

1950's to 1960's

Racism: Not talked about at all in schools, at least in my school. We had a large contingent of Jewish girls as it was in a Jewish area. We others were only jealous of them not having to sit though morning prayers. The Jewish girls kept together but were quiet. They and their parents had gone though 20 or so years of horror. We were not taught about the holocaust or anything controversial at all. I expect on my headmistress's instructions. We all needed a rest from strife. Religious instruction was only about the bible and was a class to muck about in and embarrass the teacher. Very few black, muslim people here yet. Racism yes, but only became really bad in England later when local areas felt overrun by other cultures arriving.

Class: We had rationing and clothing coupons until 1953 and nobody had many clothes to brag about, even the rich. It was match and mend time. The effect of the war on our parents was that they were as good as anybody and some of their commanders in war and leaders were donkeys. University places were being opened to us grammar school girls but you had to have Latin and Greek to get in. Grammar schools taught those, therefore helping girls break the class barrier in several jobs after. I just walked into a job when my headmistress phoned a boss she knew personally. Comprehensive schools were brought in later after secondary schools failed their pupils but don't seem to have helped the class divides much. We now have private schools for the rich.

You really cannot understand what it was like then unless you lived at the time like me and my family. I went to grammar school, my older brother was accepted into a Public school by examination for it. My sister went to a convent school (she hated it) and my youngest brother to a secondary modern school. He was the one who had the most fun at school being a fantastic athlete!

PS: I wrote donkeys as my first word was an synonym and not accepted! :)
    Post edited by Simburian on
  • Options
    So, it looks like the hot springs and pools only go deep enough for the wading interaction, and to my knowledge, that never results in merfolk changing into their tails. Even though the hot springs and baths are like oversized tubs, I'll assume merfolk won't be changing form in the bath like they do in normal bathtubs. I find that disappointing because I feel like merfolk need a sitting animation at the waters edge or on a seat in the water like with hot tubs. My merfolk can sometimes have a major change in their appearance when they change form. Their ears, hair color, eye color, teeth, and even the presence of scars can be details exclusive to their merform. So, it isn't just about seeing the tail.

I am happy there will be another open world spot to swim. So far, only two other worlds have open world swimming that I've seen my merfolk change form in, and my merfolk are very good at finding places to swim in. It's an autonomous action that exists in child merfolk without tails to all later life stages that do have tails. That is another thing that makes it weird for children to not have a merform. My main sims Dylan and Zephyr could use the Sulani Mana powers as children and Lava Bombs are a little more destructive than a form they swim in that could allow them to sleep in water and other physical merfolk abilities.

I'm definitely interested in watching the section covering injuries while they climb mountains. I can't read the options for different things or descriptions for things.

Because of the dismally decorated moodlet after capturing the Jungle Adventure ruins in my sims home, I'm happy there are ways to overpower negative moodlets associated with certain wallpapers and floors. It's not like I'm using the defaults from build mode, and I am including a theme. Even though my legacy challenge save glitched too much, I was able to at least confirm that the ruins theme was causing the negative moodlet for my main sims. I would definitely love temple themed walls and floors that result in a positive moodlet since the jungle ones cause a negative moodlet.

I think vampires with a bat form should be able to swoop down on ordinary sims. No one suspects a bat to be a vampire.

The vending machine was a little detail that I hoped for more from. It's like the Sulani Beach Supply Shack you can buy jet skis and boats from. I'm a little disappointed by the animation, and I was opening they would at least bend over to retrieve items like in the trailer.

I'm definitely looking forward to the build mode options, and I'm interested in the injury system, life styles, and powerful moodlets. I like how sims are empowered to control their emotions. I still think their are more emotions merfolk should be able to trigger with their Siren Songs. Vampires definitely tap into more emotions. With a game about emotions, I'm still going to hold out for those in an update. I like the new additional content for emotions, but I don't want missed opportunities for old content to be forgotten. Adding new stuff just won't be enough if the old stuff still feels incomplete.

When the summer season rolls around, I hope they do something for merfolk, pools, and add underwater content. As the game is, I've shared lots of ideas and opinions in other threads. Obviously, this is a winter pack so I'm happy that they will include as many water objects and activities as they are. I have to use cheats and the debug items to find more variety for pools and water themed rooms.

That's my opinion for the water game elements and one or two detailed things.

Winter and snow are very foreign to me. I've been in a mountainous area when it snowed maybe once or twice in my life time and I was really young. I think climbing a mountain looks like fun. I'm very happy that climbing a mountain isn't a rabbit hole thing, but it does make me wish the Dive Spots went to similar detail. In the same way the mountain looks different as they get closer to the too, I just can't help but think it would have been cool to dive deeper underwater and explore different places at different depths. Marine Life actually lives differently and looks different at different depths. It almost looked like climbing the mountain was a social event that involved encountering animals at different higher elevations.

I love the introduction of the new mysterious weather. Discovering that strange weather events exist in different worlds exclusive to different worlds was a fun discovery. It does make me wish merfolk could change the weather in more ways like the weather machine can instead of just the three major weather types. The ability to change the weather makes merfolk more uniquely appealing because it basically allows them to do the weather machine interactions without needing the weather machine on every single lot. Sometimes you want sunny weather. Speaking of which, as cool as the new mysterious weather is, I wonder how using mermadic abilities to change the weather on the mountain will impact the storytelling setting. Imagine climbing the mountain and having full control over the weather you climb the mountain in.

I need to look at more gameplay before I share more of my opinions.
  • Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    I like the idea of the school uniform in the game it’s finally something I can actually relate to as I find it so odd sending my sims to school in normal clothes. In the uk it’s usually the norm to wear a school uniform and when I left school I found it hard at college (not university, it’s a bit like the last 2 years of USA high school) wearing normal clothes and got more stressed at deciding what to wear. At least with uniform it takes that out of the equation.
  • Options
    NunanNunan Posts: 7 New Member
    > @Beardedgeek said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > "Immersion breaking"?? Seriously??
    > Again, that is not an explanation that makes sense.
    > "OH look we can go on holiday in any world now! Also what is that Gaijin doing in my pure town?"
    >
    > It just doesn't make sense unless there are actual Simmers who thought they would literally get a Japanese town in the 16th or 17th century when it was illegal for foreigners to enter Japan...

I find it more immersive actually. Given Japan's recent rise in tourism popularity, it's realistic to see people from your own country when traveling there. In my case I even bumped into people I know.
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,382 Member
    edited November 2020
    I loved seeing Graham back doing a live stream. He's so professional but fun too. There is no awkward pauses, he knows what he's doing and he explains things really well. As soon as I saw him I knew it would be a great live stream. :)
    Finally new winter clothes and activities. I love the world and the Japanese culture. I basically love everything about this pack. <3
  • Options
    quinhobpquinhobp Posts: 220 Member
    Kimmer wrote: »
    I loved seeing Graham back doing a live stream. He's so professional but fun too. There is no awkward pauses, he knows what he's doing and he explains things really well. As soon as I saw him I knew it would be a great live stream. :)
    Finally new winter clothes and activities. I love the world and the Japanese culture. I basically love everything about this pack. <3

Yes yes, the way he redirect the question to the gurus according to each field of knowledge/participation in pack development was nice too
  • Options
    liliaethliliaeth Posts: 1,087 Member

there are rock gardens, they were mentioned as one of the additions in the first blog post, and I saw the in one of the gamechangers early reviews.
  • Options
    liliaethliliaeth Posts: 1,087 Member
    Nunan wrote: »
    > @Beardedgeek said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > "Immersion breaking"?? Seriously??
    > Again, that is not an explanation that makes sense.
    > "OH look we can go on holiday in any world now! Also what is that Gaijin doing in my pure town?"
    >
    > It just doesn't make sense unless there are actual Simmers who thought they would literally get a Japanese town in the 16th or 17th century when it was illegal for foreigners to enter Japan...

I find it more immersive actually. Given Japan's recent rise in tourism popularity, it's realistic to see people from your own country when traveling there. In my case I even bumped into people I know.

Esp. since this world seems to be a tourist town to begin with, with all the rental lots and skiing.