Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

❄️Snowy Escape❄️ Official Live Stream - Let's Watch Together!

Comments

• BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited October 2020
    "Salaryperson" seems like such an odd choice of name for a career. :/ The career doesn't sound at all interesting either.

"Salaryman" is the Japanese term for an office worker. It really doesn't translate well.

And as I said elsewhere, the whole thing is just horrible. The whole idea of that career is literally making me ill; it's all just brainwashing and torture (mandatory overtime, company anthem brainwashing). No sim of mine will ever do that career and I will edit all premades so no Sim in my game have to do it.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    Duvelina wrote: »
    I wish sims would actually talk while hiking and take selfies together. It felt a little awkward and like they could have been hiking alone and there would be no difference.

I expect they turn off all talk signs etc. when explaining the game otherwise we won't concentrate on what Graham's saying. The looked as if they were talking several times to me.

Yeah pretty sure they were talking. But I wonder if we can use normal talk choices while they're walking? That'd be neat.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    I wish sims would actually talk while hiking and take selfies together. It felt a little awkward and like they could have been hiking alone and there would be no difference.

I expect they turn off all talk signs etc. when explaining the game otherwise we won't concentrate on what Graham's saying. The looked as if they were talking several times to me.

But there were thought bubbles and a plumbob, so I think headlines were on.

I was trying to concentrate and understand what they were saying. I don't think I understand American English any more or they mumbled too much.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    Gordy wrote: »
    I'm so sick of baby hairs at this point. It doesn't look good with the clay-like hair we already have, imo.

Same, I don't like that look at all.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member

But there were thought bubbles and a plumbob, so I think headlines were on.

I was trying to concentrate and understand what they were saying. I don't think I understand American English any more or they mumbled too much.

I got annoyed by having to adjust my volume the whole time.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    Pack looks good, Graham is very good at hosting these livestreams.

I liked that they explained in detail how lifestyles and sentiments worked, and also how they will work over time, and also that they showed that they can be turned on or off.

If it's anything I would complain about it's that you could see some townies with bad generated clothing, but that's more of a base game issue. I don't know if the team will ever fix that but I wish they could.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    "Salaryperson" seems like such an odd choice of name for a career. :/ The career doesn't sound at all interesting either.

"Salaryman" is the Japanese term for an office worker. It really doesn't translate well.

It took me a while to understand what the job was due to the unfamiliar title.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    Karon wrote: »
    The decor plates are called Paranormal Plates... Happy Haunts hint? 🤔

maybe this pack/trailer has a lot of hints for next year? like the japanese school uniforms?

WHY do people obsess over these? There are LITERAL Japanese school girls in this pack. Hence, Japanese school uniforms.

@Beardedgeek because, I'm not sure if you were around here in the beginning of the year, but the madea poll... official one... asking us what stuff related to teens and high schoold we preferred, and if we wanted them or not. That happened aroudn the same time they made the poll asking us Snowy Escape stuff, which activities we wanted to do on snow, etc...
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,410 Member
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    Seriously though, would it be really have been so hard to animate sims getting something out of a vending machine? Like bending down and grabbing the item? I don't know why, it's such a small detail, but those small, tiny animations just add LIFE.

ETA: I'm watching this slightly delayed because our government announced lockdown 2.0 at the same time, so if I comment on things you've all seen 30 minutes or more ago, that is why ;)

Any chance you are in Belgium? BecauseI don't watch it live for the same reason. :(

Lol, yes!! :D

Of all the times they could've picked it of course had to be 7 pm ;) So you're a fellow citizen simmer?

Yes, indeed fellow citizen. I think I will read/watch a summary later on.
  • DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,135 Member
    I'm so happy about the costum stages/platforms. I'm so hoping for bands one day.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Seriously though, would it be really have been so hard to animate sims getting something out of a vending machine? Like bending down and grabbing the item? I don't know why, it's such a small detail, but those small, tiny animations just add LIFE.

ETA: I'm watching this slightly delayed because our government announced lockdown 2.0 at the same time, so if I comment on things you've all seen 30 minutes or more ago, that is why ;)

Any chance you are in Belgium? BecauseI don't watch it live for the same reason. :(

Lol, yes!! :D

Of all the times they could've picked it of course had to be 7 pm ;) So you're a fellow citizen simmer?

Yes, indeed fellow citizen. I think I will read/watch a summary later on.

We'll have more than enough time to do so won't we :neutral: Hope you're doing okay, and that you like the pack so it can provide some distraction (or, dare I say, a snowy escape :blush:)

maybe this pack/trailer has a lot of hints for next year? like the japanese school uniforms?

WHY do people obsess over these? There are LITERAL Japanese school girls in this pack. Hence, Japanese school uniforms.

@Beardedgeek because, I'm not sure if you were around here in the beginning of the year, but the madea poll... official one... asking us what stuff related to teens and high schoold we preferred, and if we wanted them or not. That happened aroudn the same time they made the poll asking us Snowy Escape stuff, which activities we wanted to do on snow, etc...

Private schools and School uniforms are so alien to me. For me it's only England, Japan that does it... and some very rich and privileged Americans.
  • Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member

Thanks for explaining it for me, now it makes sense. :smile:

And as I said elsewhere, the whole thing is just horrible. The whole idea of that career is literally making me ill; it's all just brainwashing and torture (mandatory overtime, company anthem brainwashing). No sim of mine will ever do that career and I will edit all premades so no Sim in my game have to do it.

Yeah, I really don't see making any of my sims have that career either. Overall, I like my sims to be happy. The Sims is my escape from the stresses of the real world. I avoid this type of job in my own life (though don't get me wrong, my career comes with its own types of stressors), so I don't want to make my sims do it either.
  • inumaninuman Posts: 21 Member
    @Cabelle1863
    >"Salaryperson" seems like such an odd choice of name for a career.

It is for sure. I know it's from "salary man" that means an employee in Japanese, and they changed it for more diversity. But must sound odd for English speakers. Japanese-English words wouldn’t work when reverse-imported into English…
    I wait to see its translation in the Japanese version.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited October 2020
    Finished watching it...I have to say I did not see 40€ of gameplay.... The sledging and skiing looks super nice, albeit probably repetitive after a while, there's the new hot pot, table and hot springs which are also great but that's most of the new stuff...? The world is gorgeous, which at this point they always are, but this isn't a world pack, it's suppose to be an EP and it's priced like one too.

I'm a bit disappointed because once again it feels like a GP with a bigger world. It really reminds me of City Living. Festivals that have no added value because it's all BG stuff recycled again with some new visual stuff.

And we didn't really see Lifestyles impact sims's personalities in any way, neither did sentiments. It's very apparent how useless they are due to how broken moodlets and emotions continue to be. Graham was talking about the sim being upset when seeing a guy he was enemies with, but he wasn't even upset! He had the moodlet alright, but he was energized from opening the kinder eggs thingy-ma-bobs and what not. Like, come on now. I can see them working sometimes but really I saw the same exact behaviors as ever, which was nothing substancial. The hiking feature is great but then again, you are watching sims walk and take selfies so...?????

The UI team did a great job as always though, but it seems like all of that is coming in the update, so...I guess I'll just wait for a sale to buy the EP, because even though I do want it, it's not really worth the full price.
    Post edited by Sigzy05 on
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited October 2020
    It really is questionable, and it preys on a lot of peoples' polite and hard-working attributes. Some Japanese media even call it out, like Pokemon with its Sea Mauville plot in ORAS.

Private schools and School uniforms are so alien to me. For me it's only England, Japan that does it... and some very rich and privileged Americans.
    Honestly, I use boarding school stuff for a lot of my stories. All my wizards go to a NotHogwarts school on Windenburg's island, the privileged go to a mansion-like school in Newcrest, and there's also a reform school. It's a great way for young sims to get to know each other.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
    I like the new counters, but I am lazy; I REALLY wish they were pre-stocked. Having to put clutter in them annoys me.
  • Ray_TraceRay_Trace Posts: 509 Member
    Should have just renamed "salaryperson" to "corporate slave" tbh, it would at least make me join the career so when other Sims ask me about my job, I'd say, "I'm a professional coroporate slave. They forced me to dance to the anthem."

Even the name itself sounds really...ick compounded with how it looks like you're specialized and bound to your lifetime wage slavery job.
    A1hnP0t.png
    edited October 2020
    Ray_Trace wrote: »
    Should have just renamed "salaryperson" to "corporate slave" tbh, it would at least make me join the career so when other Sims ask me about my job, I'd say, "I'm a professional coroporate slave. They forced me to dance to the anthem."

Even the name itself sounds really...ick compounded with how it looks like you're specialized and bound to your lifetime wage slavery job.

I mean I know i guess it's true for IRL Japan (true enough that Simpsons did a parody of it in the 90s) but for me it's... the opposite of to show off in a cultural pack. It basically says "This country should be avoided at all costs". As a person living in a nation where strong Unions is a norm, seeing other people suffer of horrible working conditions is genuinely frustrating to me.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=wTDLDdqMwnU
  • waxesnostalgicwaxesnostalgic Posts: 38 Member
    inuman wrote: »
    @Cabelle1863
    >"Salaryperson" seems like such an odd choice of name for a career.

It is for sure. I know it's from "salary man" that means an employee in Japanese, and they changed it for more diversity. But must sound odd for English speakers. Japanese-English words wouldn’t work when reverse-imported into English…
    I wait to see its translation in the Japanese version.

Maybe Salaryman and OL (office lady)?
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited October 2020

School uniforms aren't necessarily a bad thing though. And they really aren't a synonym of being rich or attending a school for the rich. It's actually a way to not tell how rich or not a person is and it's a means to avoid bullying over clothing, as everyone wears the same thing. I know that some modern schools and institutions adopted uniforms as a form of "brand" to get recognition, but that was never the point. It's ok if it's not part of your culture but don't bash it just because it's different to you.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    edited October 2020
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

School uniforms aren't necessarily a bad thing though. And they really aren't a synonym of being rich or attending a school for the rich. It's actually a way to not tell how rich or not a person is and it's a means to avoid bullying over clothing, as everyone wears the same thing. It's ok if it's not part of your culture but don't bash it just because it's different to you.

It is in most countries, because in most countries public schools have no uniforms. So outside England and Japan (that I know of), it is only expensive private schools only kids born with a whole set of silver cutlery in their mouths can go to. AND they tend to be quite full of abuse (often romanticized abuse, like in Harry Potter); the most prestigious Swedish private school had to be shut down for a year because the hazings of new students literally involved torture.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    Dianesims wrote: »
    Simguru Azure has a really soothing voice!!

Azure is the coolest. I really like Graham too though, he's got the cuddly vibe.

I love Graham and the English guy.

Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    edited October 2020

❤️🌈👍And stages! 🎶 🎵 ❤️

Hoping really hard for bands! ❤️

Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    I really liked the new world, loved how different the three neighbourhoods appeared. I loved the hiking and climbing in the snowy mountain but now I kind of wish it was possible to have normal weather on it as well, wonder if we can adjust that with the weather machine. I was disappointed there was no Yeti in the cave on the mountain top. That ice cave practically begged for a Yeti.