Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is it okay for personality improvements to be tied to EPs?

Comments

• Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,877 Member
    edited October 2020
    Such a feature will probably come in a free Basegame patch like reputation and ladders (for instance) did.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    I'm fine with it. This is the type of content that I've been wanting and I'm happy to pay for.
  • Options
    KathMHughesKathMHughes Posts: 442 Member
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    What mob mentality though? It's an honest question. I don't hate TS4, don't get me wrong, and if there is something they can do to improve what I really dislike about it, I'm all for it... but core issues shouldn't be fixed with asking me for more money. And for me and many simmers, personality in TS4 is a core issue.

There were people spamming the premiere live chat and Twitter all morning. Like everyone just loves to hate on the game and then others with more neutral opinions start to have unfounded negative opinions. This game is legitimately great.

• Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    No.
    It is clearly a base game feature.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    What mob mentality though? It's an honest question. I don't hate TS4, don't get me wrong, and if there is something they can do to improve what I really dislike about it, I'm all for it... but core issues shouldn't be fixed with asking me for more money. And for me and many simmers, personality in TS4 is a core issue.

There were people spamming the premiere live chat and Twitter all morning. Like everyone just loves to hate on the game and then others with more neutral opinions start to have unfounded negative opinions. This game is legitimately great.

To be fair, people always spam the live chats for sims stuff. I try my best to ignore those, but I know what you mean, it's annoying :)

• Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    Dianesims wrote: »
    Such a feature will probably come in a free Basegame patch like reputation and ladders (for instance) did.

They are listing it as a feature of the pack in the description.
    Also, reputation was exclusive to Get Famous, and ladders were never advertised as a feature of Eco Lifestyle.
    Sadly, I think these features may be exclusive to the pack.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,674 Member
    Such a system might make little sense if restricted to one EP. Much more interesting to develop if they can take all kinds of released features/moods/traits/reactions into it. So, I assume (and hope!) it will be a patch thing.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    Such a system might make little sense if restricted to one EP. Much more interesting to develop if they can take all kinds of released features/moods/traits/reactions into it. So, I assume (and hope!) it will be a patch thing.

I hope you are right, but I sincerely doub it.

The only thing I can imagine, like someone else said earlier, is that they will introduce a basic version with the patch but keep the majority of it tied to the EP. However ... I can't imagine what a basic version of this kind of personality system would look like. Or how they'd add to it.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    If the personality additions are tied to the pack, I think it's possibly because they actually do change your Sims' behaviors (as the write-up claims) with a hidden system, and I've seen some other players say they don't want that, they like the Sims the way they are now. If a big change like this were to be patched in after six years, Maxis could have another horde of angry players on their backs. Many people who are already invested in the game are comfortable with the mechanics, so to suddenly change that on them could be disruptive. The majority of the player base isn't on the Forums or stalking the game on social media, so I suppose it would be risky.

But personally, I was hoping we'd get it patched into the foundation of the game so it can be expanded on in the future. Unless it's based on the Myers and Briggs Sixteen Personalities psychology, which I suspect it might be, in which case that's all there is to that theory and it's a pretty solid one.

I suspect there will still be personality issues because, yes, the foundation isn't solid. The traits are still meager and flaccid, there is still no Fear emotion or Worry or Anxiety so there is no completion to emotions, and enemy/rival behaviors hardly exist. Without the basics of core behaviors, it's hard to build a system on top of it that brings the needed changes, but I won't say it's impossible. Sims 2 added personality in packs just fine.

All in all, I think it's a good start. Properly changing Sim behaviors is going to be a long process that I don't think can be done in one swift move. So it will be important for us to leave feedback on this system and let them know what works, what doesn't, and where we think they should go from here. The fact that we are getting a system shows that they are invested in our requests and interests and it's possible that they have been working on this for a while. To me, this is a major turning point and will require both positive and negative detailed feedback because this might influence how the devs move forward with related content and it could potentially bring the long-awaited changes in the game for the better.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    Not to be a Debbie Downer, but the description is pretty clear:

"The Sims 4 Snowy Escape also introduces Lifestyles and Sentiments features..."

It's a feature of the pack, not of the game overall.
    I'm not trying to be negative, but the statement speaks for itself...
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited October 2020

Yeah, that's my take too, unless this personality overhaul is very limited to this EP, it makes no sense for them to not patch this in. All packs have to work with just the base game only, why would they not want to expand this feature to other packs that they will release in the future?
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    LiELF wrote: »
    If the personality additions are tied to the pack, I think it's possibly because they actually do change your Sims' behaviors (as the write-up claims) with a hidden system, and I've seen some other players say they don't want that, they like the Sims the way they are now. If a big change like this were to be patched in after six years, Maxis could have another horde of angry players on their backs. Many people who are already invested in the game are comfortable with the mechanics, so to suddenly change that on them could be disruptive. The majority of the player base isn't on the Forums or stalking the game on social media, so I suppose it would be risky.

But personally, I was hoping we'd get it patched into the foundation of the game so it can be expanded on in the future. Unless it's based on the Myers and Briggs Sixteen Personalities psychology, which I suspect it might be, in which case that's all there is to that theory and it's a pretty solid one.

I suspect there will still be personality issues because, yes, the foundation isn't solid. The traits are still meager and flaccid, there is still no Fear emotion or Worry or Anxiety so there is no completion to emotions, and enemy/rival behaviors hardly exist. Without the basics of core behaviors, it's hard to build a system on top of it that brings the needed changes, but I won't say it's impossible. Sims 2 added personality in packs just fine.

All in all, I think it's a good start. Properly changing Sim behaviors is going to be a long process that I don't think can be done in one swift move. So it will be important for us to leave feedback on this system and let them know what works, what doesn't, and where we think they should go from here. The fact that we are getting a system shows that they are invested in our requests and interests and it's possible that they have been working on this for a while. To me, this is a major turning point and will require both positive and negative detailed feedback because this might influence how the devs move forward with related content and it could potentially bring the long-awaited changes in the game for the better.

Thank you for this post LiELF, as always, I agree with most of what you say and I appreciate adding some perspective to it. I agree that people might not want Maxis to just go and patch in personalities that would ruin their saves ... but that's partially also because their game is quite unstable and clearly doesn't handle major changes like that well. But it does give me something to think about while I walk the dog, so thanks for that :)

ETA: ALSO I didn't think about the MB thing but you might be right given the number 16! That would please me in a way, if it's done well. Although in that case, I'm even more sure there will be no base game version of it.
  • Options
    bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    if it's game changing i think it'll definitely need a pre patch personality overhaul. but perhaps it's another thing like the get famous feature which is ehh...
    the description looks promising but we all know devs can be misleading. anyways i doubt they will include such important changes into a pack, imagine the backlash if ladders were a pack specific feature?
  • Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    The Sims 4 already has personality features hidden behind a pay wall, Character Value traits from Parenthood, and the Reputation from Get Famous. When I learned that the reputation system was only part of the pack it made me quite bitter, something as important as a sims public image should be in the base game.

Same story here, if this new feature isn’t part of base game, they should have at least tweaked the base game systems to be more meaningful, otherwise I will be quite bitter.
  • Options
    thesimmer14thesimmer14 Posts: 393 Member
    I have a feeling that they were forced to make this long requested sit behind a paywall in response due to financial difficulties posed by COVID + a slew of packs that were regarded as flops by their player base.
  • Options
    OneAdorkableGirlOneAdorkableGirl Posts: 2,379 Member
    TS1299 wrote: »
    Yes. In The Sims 2 Personality was improved with Turn on and Turn Off(NightLife) Hobbies and Interest (FreeTime) and Reputation (Apartment Life). So I do not see why they cannot do those again TS4.

The problem comes into place when the core personality are still broken in the base game. Personality improvements for the traits and aspirations alongside with whims and emotions are all tied to the base game. As we know those are broken. The new system will attemptto fix those but certaintly will fail because at its core it is broken

To clear things up it is ok, if the game has a solid foundstion for personslity. But for TS4 while I like that thry are improving personalities, the base game ones should first need to be overhsuled

This is what makes me think we'll get something in the patch before the expansion pack to maybe fix some of the personality issues (maybe it won't address everything 100% yet as that will come in future patches/expansions), but when we got City Living and got the lot traits, we got a patch with some base game lot traits, too. So, maybe this is what they'll do for traits and also life-styles, maybe adding a few in the patch and then 16 more in the expansion pack. And with that, they could address the trait issue a little.. this could be an update to the system because of this pack.

It would be the right move -- we'll see if they commit to that...... or not.. there will be backlash, if they don't, that's for sure. :/
  • Options
    filipomel wrote: »
    The Sims 4 already has personality features hidden behind a pay wall, Character Value traits from Parenthood, and the Reputation from Get Famous. When I learned that the reputation system was only part of the pack it made me quite bitter, something as important as a sims public image should be in the base game.

Same story here, if this new feature isn’t part of base game, they should have at least tweaked the base game systems to be more meaningful, otherwise I will be quite bitter.

Agreed. I think people are getting their hopes up about this being in a patch. I think it's unlikely that they will patch this in. It's listed as a feature of the pack in the description.

Maybe they'll patch in a smaller version of it to the base game?

The devs need to clarify this ASAP before speculation gets out of control. If it hasn't gotten of control already :D
  • Options
    edited October 2020

Very good point, it's possible that they want to try it out first because they don't know how well it is going to be received.

I mean, they did an overhaul of how sims react to the environment and someone over at maxis thought it was a great idea that your sim is going to do a yawning animation if their environment score is low and a "aha!" animation if their environment score is high, every time they receive the environment buff,

who knows what "bright ideas" Maxis would do with a personality overhaul. Maybe they will add tons of idle animations with this overhaul.
  • Options
    I have a feeling that they were forced to make this long requested sit behind a paywall in response due to financial difficulties posed by COVID + a slew of packs that were regarded as flops by their player base.

And we thought Journey to Batuu was low? Hiding core game features behind a paywall is even lower :D

But we still don't know yet. Hopefully the devs clarify soon....
  • Options
    Wintermist_SWEWintermist_SWE Posts: 342 Member

But don't you know, gaming has increased a lot thanks to Covid.
    You're Breathtaking!
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Okay, so I don't want to hijack other threads with negative thoughts and all, so I'll throw it out here ...

Assuming that the new Lifestyles and Sentiments work as intended, and actually flesh out sim personalities, as described below:
    The Sims 4 Snowy Escape also introduces Lifestyles and Sentiments features, adding more depth to Sims’ personalities and relationships. For the first time, up to 16 Lifestyles will manifest in response to a Sim’s actions and habits, changing their behaviors significantly more than Create a Sim traits as they reflect a Sim’s lived experiences. Sentiments represent how two Sims can feel differently about the outcome of a shared experience and have a lasting impact on Sims’ relationships to each other, affecting their social interactions.
    https://ir.ea.com/press-releases/press-release-details/2020/Bundle-Up-For-The-Ultimate-Winter-Getaway-In-The-Sims-4-Snowy-Escape-Available-November-13/default.aspx

.. is that really the route they're going with our feedback that sims need more personality?
    Tying it to a 40 USD expansion?

.. feel free to share your thoughts. I'm really confused about how I feel about any of this. I really thought a pack like this (snow, winter, mountains) would excite me rather than worry me.

I actually don't care as long as it finally is there. Let's just hope it's well done.
  • Options
    bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    bixters wrote: »

And we thought Journey to Batuu was low? Hiding core game features behind a paywall is even lower :D

But we still don't know yet. Hopefully the devs clarify soon....

i was lowkey glad packs in ts4 were useless so i didn't feel the need to have them lol
  • Options
    logion wrote: »

Very good point, it's possible that they want to try it out first because they don't know how well it is going to be received.

I mean, they did an overhaul of how sims react to the environment and someone over at maxis thought it was a great idea that your sim is going to do a yawning animation if their environment score is low and a "aha!" animation if their environment score is high, every time they receive the environment buff,

who knows what "bright ideas" Maxis would do with a personality overhaul. Maybe they will add tons of idle animations with this overhaul.

True. It could be like NAPS all over again. A bunch of lame, recycled animations we have to see all the time. If that's the case, then count me out :D
  • Options
    Dannakyri1Dannakyri1 Posts: 207 Member
    Sure. The whole point of an expansion pack is to expand the game in a meaningful way. The personality overhaul will add new depth to the game and enhance game play which is what an expansion should do.
  • Options

But don't you know, gaming has increased a lot thanks to Covid.

It has, but not to derail the thread, Gaming Development has also become much more difficult because it requires a lot of communication between teams.