Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What’s Up With People Not Actually PLAYING The Game Anymore?

Comments

• Options
    FaberriesFaberries Posts: 1,354 Member
    My sister introduced me to the sims, but she never played with families. She only built and decorated lots. I like playing with families though :)

Back when we played TS2, she had the most beautiful custom content bed. I sometimes still think about it and how sad i am that we lost it :lol:
    Star Wind Flower Sun
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,130 Member
    edited August 2020
    I do love rebuilding my world's & having different era for each of my game saves.
    I also love playing my fave households Sims,
    like my:
    Doctor Who with his TARDIS
    Batman & Batgirl
    Armageddon Lady in her underground shelter
    Male Scientist with his Alien twin children
    Medieval Inventors
    Prairie Cree Lady & her English husband
    Adam & Eve on a beautiful Island
    Fallen Angels Good & Bad

The Black Widow her husband's keep burning up in the sun. (Yeah, I have a little bit of a dark side) lol

I Don't Use Mods or CCs.
  • Options
    x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    edited August 2020
    YES! I saw a lot of them just keep on building & creating Sims, but most of them are not actually "playing" the game. Some of them even gave out a wrong information on one of their YouTube videos. It really shows that there're people out there are not even bothered about the game at all. I personally enjoy the gameplay. I build houses & community lots for my own Sims too. I only build houses if I got bored & need a break from my Sims. I also started playing with the CAS. Yet, my priority is still playing the game by enjoying the gameplay & whatever bugs/glitches that come with it! :s
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    I guess they just don't enjoy live mode? Personally, I never build and spend as little time in CAS as possible lol so I am the opposite.

I wonder if it’s because they think something is missing from the gameplay in Live mode that keeps them from playing it or if they just have no interest in general.

Have you not picked up on that over the last 6 years? Live mode is the worst game mode of this game. I’ve been here long enough to remember how Maxis wouldn’t show any sort of live gameplay demonstrations for live mode. CAS and Build mode, plenty, live mode got a prerecorded, months-old, scripted E3 build of the game. So yeah I’m gonna say there’s always been something off with live mode.
  • Options
    GooseyGoosey Posts: 317 Member
    edited May 2022

Post edited by Goosey on

Gentlemen, from this day forward... you will all refer to me by the name... Betty... myahhahah!
  • Options
    EVANGELlNEEVANGELlNE Posts: 51 Member
    edited August 2020
    I love building in the Sims 4, but someone else could hate it. I don't think everyone needs to have the same way of playing. Some people may love playing with families, while others enjoy seeing the Sim deaths. Personally I've never killed a Sim and I don't want to. I think it shouldn't matter how you play, as long as you're having a good time and enjoying yourself.

I absolutely *LOVE* the build feature though. The very first building I bulldozed I was freaking out because I was worried I'd make a mess and I wouldn't even have the original building to go back to. Now that I have the hang of it, I don't think there are many games with as good of a house-building feature. I may actually enjoy building more than playing with the sims. I probably do about 50/50 though. The main reason I build is to have fun public venues for my sims to go to, and to share them with others. Sometimes a build may take me a week or two and by the time I finish building and playtesting I'm mentally too tired to play with the sims xD. If we had no build mode and all the lots came premade, I'd get bored of the sims much more quickly. With the build mode, I feel like your imagination is the limit, you can create so many fun things.

I think the main reason playing with them can get boring is because of the repetitiveness/redundancy of the actions. If you have a routine you follow for the household, it can get boring always doing the same thing or being in the same environment. One of the households I've played the longest, they keep my interest because they get to explore all the new packs.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    xamira99 wrote: »
    YES! I saw a lot of them just keep on building & creating Sims, but most of them are not actually "playing" the game. Some of them even gave out a wrong information on one of their YouTube videos. It really shows that there're people out there are not even bothered about the game at all. I personally enjoy the gameplay. I build houses & community lots for my own Sims too. I only build houses if I got bored & need a break from my Sims. I also started playing with the CAS. Yet, my priority is still playing the game by enjoying the gameplay & whatever bugs/glitches that come with it! :s

Yea folks are getting money via YouTube videos for BB and CAS but not actually playing these Sims in these homes. Trippy
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    EVANGELlNE wrote: »
    I love building in the Sims 4, but someone else could hate it. I don't think everyone needs to have the same way of playing. Some people may love playing with families, while others enjoy seeing the Sim deaths. Personally I've never killed a Sim and I don't want to. I think it shouldn't matter how you play, as long as you're having a good time and enjoying yourself.

I absolutely *LOVE* the build feature though. The very first building I bulldozed I was freaking out because I was worried I'd make a mess and I wouldn't even have the original building to go back to. Now that I have the hang of it, I don't think there are many games with as good of a house-building feature. I may actually enjoy building more than playing with the sims. I probably do about 50/50 though. The main reason I build is to have fun public venues for my sims to go to, and to share them with others. Sometimes a build may take me a week or two and by the time I finish building and playtesting I'm mentally too tired to play with the sims xD. If we had no build mode and all the lots came premade, I'd get bored of the sims much more quickly. With the build mode, I feel like your imagination is the limit, you can create so many fun things.

I think the main reason playing with them can get boring is because of the repetitiveness/redundancy of the actions. If you have a routine you follow for the household, it can get boring always doing the same thing or being in the same environment. One of the households I've played the longest, they keep my interest because they get to explore all the new packs.

I wonder if there is a subset of people who play Live mode solely to kill their Sims 🤣
  • Options
    FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited August 2020
    I have builder friends who are doing just that. With so many bugs, some people prefer to create things without actually playing. I'm not a builder, but over the past few days I've remade old sims, created new ones, sorted out inventories of existing saves. Sometimes it's a bit aggravating to play when you know that you've got to deal with bugs. I don't think it's a new trend, some people really love building without actually playing, or maybe only to play test their builds.
    Post edited by Finvola on
  • Options
    j1z1j1z1 Posts: 311 Member
    edited August 2020
    It's a creative outlet and the gameplay is weak.

I have honestly downloaded amazing builds ONLY to tour them, not to play in them. Then again, I also like watching Architectural Digest so. I also love touring unusual builds or builds made for specific or weird settings/stories.

Sometimes they make me want to play in them.

I've been playing more lately, trying to do some challenges, and it's been kind of fun, but I do get bored with a household after a while (and simultaneously too attached to kill them, so I just store away the save file with their story).

But for building and CAS, inspiration may strike whenever.
    Post edited by j1z1 on
  • Options
    MissElphebaMissElpheba Posts: 3,810 Member
    Some people are really out here spending hours/days/weeks/months/years designing homes within TS4 or creating Sims within TS4 and then do not actually play with these Sims in these homes. They make stuff but don’t actually play the game. It’s like a phenomenon. I’ve never heard of this happening in other games.

Erm... a little unheard-of game called Minecraft? Never killed the Ender Dragon but made lots of lovely medieval and modern houses. Don't "play" the game (as far as you can play such a game).

• Options
    MissElphebaMissElpheba Posts: 3,810 Member
    I mix between gameplay and either building myself, or tweaking Gallery builds. I play with MOO and don't really have a problem with Gallery builds. I always tweak something anyway, even if the build is awesome, so if there's a routing issue, it's usually pretty simple to fix. I also spend a lot of time CC shopping. I never did that really in TS3 (then I was a lot more into the community and uploading things to the TS3 version of the gallery, so made sure to not use CC - plus there was less need for CC with the awesome CAST), but this time I have a powerhouse PC, so it's CC and mods all the way!
  • Options
    garapoesgarapoes Posts: 422 Member
    Because the game is bad. The emotion system is broken and Sims have no personality whatsoever. Also, no wants/wishes system.
    English is not my first language so sorry if I make any mistakes!
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I only play in live mode. Building is so incredibly frustrating!

And as someone who doesn't build, the gallery is a MESS with people MOOing all over the palace and having no regard for people who need those builds to... you know, WORK because our Sims need a house/restaurant/park.

I only use MOO for things that Sims don't have to interact with, mostly landscaping if I want plants closer together to look, well, a bit more natural. Not that I do much building anyway; I mostly download from the Gallery then remodel houses to suit my needs.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    peterskywalkerpeterskywalker Posts: 553 Member
    Some people prefer the artistic expression through creating rather than playing or telling stories. I myself love live mode so long as I have my custom content and mods to spice up the game
    True Love
    Terrific Family Play
    Too fun
    The sims 2 forever
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,616 Member
    I don't even play the game at all, period. And what's up with that? The performance of this game is so unstable and buggy and stutter-y that it annoys me too much.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    As a simmer who has been at it since the beginning of simming I find TS4 game play (if you can call it that) boring beyond belief. I also find the TS4 sims the dumbest of all the series. I have much more fun with building and CAS where I can create and tinker to my heart's content. I've loaded few buildings to the gallery, but do test those I have first.
  • Options
    phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    edited August 2020
    I played the heck out of Sims 2 and 3. I didn't have the time or patience to build, when my Sims were constantly surprising me. I could spend an hour building a Sim, but then I played with it.

The gameplay just isn't that interesting in 4. Sims all react the same ways to things. Once you've mastered something, changing up your Sim and trying again won't give you radically different results. With Sims 2 and 3 I tinkered with building. With 4 it's the best part of the game. Sometimes I'll play, but I get bored after a couple hours and am not really motivated to go back and see what happens.

But can I build Mount Olympus over the course of a month? Yes, yes I can. And that is more satisfying than Sims being able to multitask will ever be.

Note: I build things to be playable, even if I don't intend to play them myself. I don't understand the point of having something you can't play in!
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    If all that most people can do is build lots and create sims, they should reduce the price of the basegame and all packs. No one should have to pay for that portion of the game that doesn't work (and that they won't fix ).

They should also re-categorize this game as it is no longer a life simulation game in that case. It's just a dress up doll and building app. Also, it shouldn't be part of The Sims main line of games.

• Options
    poisonedsodapoppoisonedsodapop Posts: 1,179 Member
    Technically if you're building or in CAS you are still playing the game. But I still play so I don't know what to tell ya lol.
    Hoping some day for some toddlers. But also dreading they'll never come. JK THEY ARE HERE!
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member

I wonder if there is a subset of people who play Live mode solely to kill their Sims 🤣
    You know me too well. >:)
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    I think it's cool that some people don't play the game in live mode & use the game for building or CAS. Just shows how diverse The Sims game is and there isn't a wrong way to play & so many play styles, options, etc. to try. I literally hate CAS as I have no patience for it and my building skills are just OK....so I like live mode more, but at times it's cool to switch it up.
  • Options
    misty4mmisty4m Posts: 2,269 Member
    edited August 2020
    Some people are really out here spending hours/days/weeks/months/years designing homes within TS4 or creating Sims within TS4 and then do not actually play with these Sims in these homes. They make stuff but don’t actually play the game. It’s like a phenomenon. I’ve never heard of this happening in other games.

Did this used to happen in prior Sims games too or is this new for TS4?

And then some people spend a ton of time downloading CC to use for these Sims and homes and again do not actually play them.

I can’t understand it. I mean, it’s nice that folks can get enjoyment from the game period, but I wonder why they don’t bother to play the actual game? Is it because they don’t enjoy the gameplay? Do they have zero interest for some other reason?

I’m puzzled. If this is how you choose to use TS4, enlighten us.

Yeah this started a long time ago from the sims 1 game, I could remember finding out about some great creator and builders who love to just create for the game but don't really play it as much as we do.

I love to do both create and play my game.
    new.png
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    As it is now I really don't use live mode seeing as I feel as though I have done everything and the replay value is just not there. The tools needed are simply not there the content is extremely shallow and features I need to play as I want are never added but the worst part is the Sims have not been improved at all since base game besides Parenting which still leaves much to be desired.

Live mode is truly Sims 4 weakest point and I can see why people stick with CAS and build seeing as both of these are always getting updates in each pack while live mode great content is a couple of objects for Sims to interact with. So for me this is a Sims 4 issue in past games I'd say I was in live mode so much more so that I'd just randomly look at the clock and it would be 4am wondering where the time went because I got lost in the game not once has that happened with Sims 4.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,619 Member
    I like to build the homes my Sims are going to live in. I rarely take days upon days doing so. At most I've taken two days, which really results in just a few hours. If I can't complete the build in about three hours, I grow impatient. You see, I love to play the game. To me, there is nothing more satisfying then building a home and then PLAYING in it. Some may not enjoy the gameplay, but miss their Sims, so they build. I confess, if things get a tad dull in my game, and a house idea is nagging at me, I'll save then go into map mode find the lot and start building for a time. Building can be relaxing, too. I also have collected 18th century cc clothing, et al, to add a sense of realism to my ancestral game save. I do play the game with it, however. So, I guess I should move along as I am an interloper, since I do play the game …
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/