Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Blatant racism vs Covert Racism that sadly and upsetting seems to exist in the sims

Comments

• Options
    j1z1j1z1 Posts: 311 Member
    I'm glad the game is making an effort. I think they do care and do try. And there's always room to grow. I don't understand telling people to curb their feedback, since that's most of what we come to do on the forums anyway. I never see passionate bunk bed pleas get this much backlash. Continious improvement on CAS won't take away from improvement in other areas.
  • Options
    Sim_ArchitectsSim_Architects Posts: 302 Member
    j1z1 wrote: »
    I'm glad the game is making an effort. I think they do care and do try. And there's always room to grow. I don't understand telling people to curb their feedback, since that's most of what we come to do on the forums anyway. I never see passionate bunk bed pleas get this much backlash. Continious improvement on CAS won't take away from improvement in other areas.

Its because we live in a society that has propped up one group as the default/standard, therefore, they cant see why people want better optimization for darker skinned sims.
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    Yeah, my avi is a character from a GAME.I wish I had a white fluffy kitty in my hands right now! What about simmers with plumbobs or animals for avis?? My user is strawberryyogurt but i PROMISE i dont identify as a dairy product.

Wait, WHAT?! Are you telling me these AVIS aren’t necessarily the actual forum members?
    Does this mean I haven’t been communicating with Cats and Pups and Cow Plants and Witches and Plumbobs and Fruits and all these other wonderful looking beings the entire time?

Don’t tell me you guys are all just simple humans like me...

Pssh. I'm totally my avatar. I'm a fortune telling, evil vampire from a nightmare carnival who laughs at despair.

I'm a building. At night. I don't even have hands, so don't ask me how I'm typing this; I don't know! How am I even sentient?!?
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    Yeah, my avi is a character from a GAME.I wish I had a white fluffy kitty in my hands right now! What about simmers with plumbobs or animals for avis?? My user is strawberryyogurt but i PROMISE i dont identify as a dairy product.

Wait, WHAT?! Are you telling me these AVIS aren’t necessarily the actual forum members?
    Does this mean I haven’t been communicating with Cats and Pups and Cow Plants and Witches and Plumbobs and Fruits and all these other wonderful looking beings the entire time?

Pssh. I'm totally my avatar. I'm a fortune telling, evil vampire from a nightmare carnival who laughs at despair.

I'm a building. At night. I don't even have hands, so don't ask me how I'm typing this; I don't know! How am I even sentient?!?

I see your lights are on. Clearly someone is home.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    There are only four races in existence.
    No. There is one. The human race.

And the game lacks in variables for creating more diverse sims.
    Also, why can we not have snakebite piercings? I miss mine, and want to live vicariously through putting more holes in my sims.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options

Its because we live in a society that has propped up one group as the default/standard, therefore, they cant see why people want better optimization for darker skinned sims.

This is the case where I live (I don't live in the US).

I think Sims players of different backgrounds making themselves known to the developers as an audience of the game could never be a bad thing, especially if it makes it richer in future iterations.

And, man, unconscious biases are so hard to grasp (I mean, I keep discovering new ones of mine every week).
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member

wow a magic building
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    muzickmagemuzickmage Posts: 986 Member
    edited August 2020

I can see why people want better customization for darker skinned sims. They aren't shy when it comes to pointing that out directly. They want the ability to create a sim of themselves, and will accuse EA/Maxis of being racist until they are given the tools to achieve their whim. And anyone who denies, or speaks against their desire will also be labeled as racist..... or... of a default standard that simply doesn't understand.

If the argument was about the darker swatches being of poor quality for the sims. Then that would be a fair argument. But no, it has to be about someone's brother from Kenya or something. Or because people can't create "themselves" to their satisfaction.

The sims game wasn't designed to be a professional graphics arts tool. Its not for the purpose of recreating the human race. If someone can recreate themselves in CAS, that's great. But it wasn't designed for that. It was designed for the creation of the Sims.

IMO, this nonsense about the lack of ability to clone ourselves in a sims game, and using that as an excuse to spark an argument about racial inequality... that's a slap in the face to those suffering from the real issues happening around us every day. It's on TV. Its in the newspapers. Its on the very streets we walk on. And because of our modern age.... its all over the internet. Those are the issues we should be fighting against.

Here's the simple truth. There is a possibility that you might not be able to successfully recreate yourself in the sims' CAS. And the reason for that is.... the sims CAS wasn't created for that purpose. Its not because you are African American. Its not because you are an Indian. Its not because you are Latino. Its because.... the sims game is about ..... creating sims.... not the human race.

The sooner people stop making the sims game all about themselves, and get back to just creating a bunch of blue and green sims.... the sooner we can move on to fight the real racial issues.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited August 2020
    When people say indigenous peoples I have to wonder do they actually know thousands, millions of years ago, there was a huge land mass, that as the earth evolved was broken up, and those 'indigenous people' were actually from an area known today as Siberia? (not born on these lands) So, thinking someone is indigenous is presumptive. Also, there were warring tribes who took other tribes' lands as time went on, and so when you think of this part of land or that place as if here is the home of an indigenous people, is it really? True History matters, while we are on the subject of race, so many in America, whether they are 'native indian' or black or white, or even Asian, have become part of a big melting pot, and no longer wear tradional clothes, no longer wear feathers, and or particular beads and have become American and so many of the races have been mixed it's hard to say what a true skin tone would be. It's a bit racist to think Native Indians or anyone else is any different in America. Wanting to see them in some tradional garb from thousands of years ago. (So you can say how diverse you are) Think on it, the light will come to you. It's about as offensive as everyone wanting to see an afro from the 70's the go to hairstyle for a black Sim as if blacks are stuck in the 70's clothes and hairstyles. just so people can show how diverse they are. As if no one is living in modern times right now. :s Stereotyping all for the sake of 'divesity' is beyond belief here. As if all young, 'native Americans' all have very long hair and never get a hair cut. lol, It's remarkable so many think they are being diverse when it's actually bigotry.
    Post edited by Cinebar on
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 955 Member
    On the other hand, The Sims has some races which are not found in real life. I am thinking about e.g. aliens which have at least two different colors in Sims 4.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member

I see your lights are on. Clearly someone is home.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 you guys/girls are cracking me up. This was my laugh for the weekend
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,882 Member
    edited August 2020
    I use that Afro on my Angela Davis sim. I've used it on my sim when I threw a disco party in game. Similar to one of my husband's high school reunions where the theme was to dress as the year you graduated. He wore a huge Afro wig, plaid polyester bell-bottom pants, and platform shoes. I'm glad the game gives us some options to create sims from different time periods.
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited August 2020

That reminds me of:

NqtyenW.gif

I swear she's your spirit animal. Now that's representation.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    Didn't we all come from Space in the first place?
    At the end of the day we're all just a bunch of weird Aliens.

That's a nice thought. If everyone remembered that more often, we probably wouldn't have all the issues we've had for centuries, but we do. Where I'm from, some people are definitely not treated like we all come from the same place, our socioeconomical system does benefit people who look like one certain way, not out of deliberate hate, it's just the way it's been for too long and people have a hard recognizing it.
  • Options
    Movotti wrote: »
    There are only four races in existence.
    No. There is one. The human race.

And the game lacks in variables for creating more diverse sims.
    Also, why can we not have snakebite piercings? I miss mine, and want to live vicariously through putting more holes in my sims.

Yes!, the scientific racist beliefs jumped out to me from that comment. The categorization of humans is so creepy. And always bad.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,465 Member
    @drakharis, are you OK?

You haven't commented yet and I can imagine that a lot of the dialogue in this thread must be an overwhelming response to your original post.
    A lot of folks seem to appreciate your concern, even if not everyone completely agrees with it (me included).

That being said, I'm wondering what your standpoint is. Have you been able to look at things in a different light or did the conversation end here for you?
  • Options
    SimtaniumSimtanium Posts: 256 Member
    It's interesting how some people behave as if asking for the ability to create dark-skimmed Sims that don't have graphical issues is like a nit-picker asking for the exact shade of blue rug they have in their living room at home.
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    edited August 2020
    This is the sims, you guys, NOT RL. I play the sims to escape this very talk.
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member

That reminds me of:

NqtyenW.gif

I swear she's your spirit animal. Now that's representation.

YAAAAAASSS!! She is my Familiar! We are twin souls! I have found her at last and the world will be ours!! <3
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    Simtanium wrote: »
    It's interesting how some people behave as if asking for the ability to create dark-skimmed Sims that don't have graphical issues is like a nit-picker asking for the exact shade of blue rug they have in their living room at home.

Its actually very tiresome. And theres a phrase for it. But im about tired of going back and forth, so im going to just ignore and block ppl.
  • Options
    TrashmagicTrashmagic Posts: 977 Member
    bshag4lv wrote: »
    This is the sims, you guys, NOT RL. I play the sims to escape this very talk.

Then go play your game? What's the point in trying to shoo people away who care about these issues when you can easily ignore it. There are obviously many people who are against diversity changes for this game and that's fine. I will not argue with people over that but to go the extra mile to try to shut down all discussion about these issues is insane to me.

• Options
    bookish_sammybookish_sammy Posts: 223 Member
    I'm a little confused by what the OP is missing in terms of creating a Native American sim. After reading the post, I went into my game to see if I could create Native American characters, and I ended up with two gorgeous siblings without custom content. What is missing? Unless, it is the costumes and accessories worn for powwow performances? Are we talking jingle dresses and fancy dance outfits? We don't have the ability to have them perform traditional dances either. How do they represent a group that consists of vastly different tribes without being offensive or excluding someone? I'm not really sure what to say about representation in the game because it is limited overall. That's why I use so much custom content and mods. The game only has so much to offer without it, unfortunately.
  • Options
    drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    We need more presets for heads and cheekbones. I feel that the cheekbones should be decent high cheekbones without looking odd. Head presets specifically for missing races.

There are or 3 or 4 for African American.

Generic Latino/Hispanic There really is a difference between Mexican. Puerto Rican, Cuban etc.

1 for Indian (India)

1 Japanese

1 Chinese

1 Generic Asian

1 Generic Middle Eastern

A lot of European head presets

I can't find any for Canada's First People

I can't find any Native American head presets to use that doesn't have a wrench

I prefer starting with presets then tweaking them out since we aren't given a head void of race or ethnicity that is void of any human skin tone and use sliders to solely shape a head and facial features then choose our skin tone which I wouldn't mind doing. That would be the dev's easiest solution because it would allow for sliders (which again need to be improved greatly) to determine the race/ethnicity of the sim we are creating.

I don't want anybody's race/ethnicity to be left out. As the white Youtubers said we should all have the option of being able to create ourselves as sims. For some, this can be fixed with improved and added skin tones and hair. We really need improved skin tones. We really need more skin tones. We really need more hairstyles especially 4a, 4b, 4c, 3a, 3b. 3c hair that isn't stereotyped and looks beautiful. To me, I think if they add in stereotyped 3a, 3b, 3c, 4a, 4b, 4c hair it'll create more problems than it can it solve. If they are wise they will ask for feedback the whole way through.

I am happy that EA supports Black Lives Matter and the African American Community. A tip of the hat to them for that. I honestly can't say enough nice things about supporting this cause.

However African American isn't the only minority out there. There are Middle Easterners but are represented in a somewhat stereotypical fashion in the sims. There are Latinos/Hispanics and Asians that need better representation in the sims. Native Americans and Canada's First People which have no representation from my observation even though some of you say there is. I'm not doubting you. I just can't find the head presets, cheek presets, nose presets etc to properly represent them however if I just use sliders in advanced mode I can do a better job unless I use custom presets. Samoans and Polynesians need both better representation and representation too. Other minorities need better presentation and representation too.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top