Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

THE one & only 'Eco lifestyle' complaining thread

Comments

• Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member
    Unless they are hidden features or stuff they haven't shown.I don't think the live stream is going to help.This probably will be the least profit expansion.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    This looks a lot like a one time play thing like Strangerville. And I don't think the gameplay is enough to be an EP judging from the trailer.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    Why do I see we're going to get a blog post soon ?
  • Options
    EdithVEdithV Posts: 859 Member

Where did you get this info
  • Options
    EdithV wrote: »

I mean think we're going get a blog post about this . I think they're going to respond to the criticism.This is more divisive than cats and dogs.
  • Options
    EdithVEdithV Posts: 859 Member
    EdithV wrote: »

I mean think we're going get a blog post about this . I think they're going to respond to the criticism.This is more divisive than cats and dogs.

Hmm but that’s not their way, they still haven’t addressed the 20 yeah anniversary mess
  • Options
    CherryBerryCloudCherryBerryCloud Posts: 689 Member
    edited September 2020
    Deleted
    Post edited by CherryBerryCloud on
    Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
    I have loved the stars too truly to be fearful of the night.

Ha'aheo, e hoʻomau i kō kāua aloha, kau a kau.
  • Options
    KoteykaKoteyka Posts: 537 Member
    edited May 2020
    @Loanet hi! :)
    "And hey! You know what's also eco-friendly? You know what's the EMBODIMENT of eco-friendly? Take a guess! Take another! That's right - FARMING."
    Apart from, y'know... recycling. And reusing. And repurposing. And campaigning for the environment. Everything, in fact, that this pack is claiming to contain is more eco-friendly than farming.
    Except all of those features could be added in different packs... Just like we saw with Island living (cleaning up the environment) and City living (protesting), Discover University (bikes) etc. Reusing and recycling could easily make its way in a country pack. Or a generations pack. Or any other pack. It could be a game pack. It could be a stuff pack. It's NOT enough for a expansion pack. That's what I'm complaining about. Farming, on the other hand, is a whole new thing.
    In fact Farming is not very eco-friendly at all - green farmers actually sacrifice profit as a result. Just because something takes place in the fresh air doesn't make it green. I mean, fly-tipping takes place in the fresh air.
    And candles aren't eco-friendly either. And solar panels, if you do research. And a lot of other things considered 'eco'. This argument can go on and on forever and yet... maybe I don't understand something. I'm just a kid. Haven't got much experience. But I honestly believe that you're still much more environmental friendly living off grid, eating what you've grown, getting water from a well and buying only the essentials, rather then living in a city. Because all of those nice cute clothes we buy, all of those electronic devices we love to use, all of those wonderful products in stores, delivered there every day in huge amounts... the plumbing, the gas, the electricity... I don't think it comes without a price.
    And no, I wasn't talking about huge farms that do it for profit. I don't want ANYTHING huge in the sims at this point. Just little things, just a little happy family living in a little happy community based in a little happy country and selling eggs or sheep wool to their neighbours once in a while.
    Some people are really hyping themselves up for farming, at the expense of not enjoying other packs. Inevitably they will be disappointed when farming arrives.
    *shrug* Can't speak for everyone, but I wanted Island living. I wanted seasons. I wanted pets. I wanted vampires. I wanted those packs for a very long time and I wasn't disappointed in either one of them. To this day they still remain my absolute favourites. So I'm sure if a farming EP actually does eventually come (which seems rather unlikely now), I'll welcome it with open hands :)
  • Options
    SilranaSilrana Posts: 6 New Member
    I'm one of those who would love to have a small-farm pack. The Sims, through all its iterations, has shoved us into urban/suburban life. But these days I find myself playing Sims 3 because I can have biggish lots (yes, 60x60 is still a bit small for me) and farm items when I can get the buggy devils to work.

So what does this have to do with the new pack? Just that the first word that came to mind when I looked at the info was 'urban'. It's all the sort of things marketed to people living in cities, or in those suburban areas you see where the houses are big but aren't even ten feet apart. Which may be the sort of environment the devs are used to. I'd like a pack for those of us who prefer country life, both in the Sims and RL.
  • Options
    KoteykaKoteyka Posts: 537 Member
    @bethyGrace
    I feel you, and I'm happy to hear that a member of the "target audience" is also disappointed with this pack idea, and would have loved a farming pack.

It would be so fun to have a sustainable little community raising privately owned animals, and coming together with community gardens, locally-owned businesses and produce markets, solar and wind power yes totally include that... or maybe they could have done a system where you could raise a vegan community, idk? Have it as an option, why not.

The ideas we've seen in the trailer are for environmental activism, which we did already get with Island Living. This is just taking it up a notch.

It seems to me like it's a hodge-podge of "missing items" from other packs we've had already released - the Coulda-Shoulda-Woulda-Sims-4-Missing-Expansion-Content-pack.
    Yes, yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about! This pack just feels so... unnecessary. :( It feels like they grabbed a handful of leftover ideas for previous packs and just mushed them all in one EP instead of doing what they always did - adding little bits in different packs. I actually really liked when they did it that way. It felt like they genuinely cared for the environment when every pack had a little bit of eco. It felt natural. A part of the sims everyday experience. This is just... this is just awful.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited May 2020
    I believe that the devs wanted to make this and that they have made some nice things for this pack. And the fact that the pack is about recycling is admirable but...

This also looks so much like what we have gotten before? Recycling was explored in island living, that bug farm reminds me a lot of a bee farm, and it uses the same animations from other packs, I mean, he is hugging a bug, the pollution gun uses the exact same animations from the debt collector in Discover University, and I do wonder how much different making things in this pack will feel compared to the scientist career or the robotics career. The community lots will probably work the same like the markets in city living.

The only things that look new to me are the dumpster diving, and the different things you can craft like candles. The fact that the world is transforming is cool too I guess but...

This doesn't feel like a pack where they wanted to make something new, it feels like, how much can we take from previous packs and make into an expansion pack and considering that the packs are made by different people, it's possible they are even taking animations that they have not made themselves, and reselling them again.

I'm not sure candle making and scrap collecting and pretending to transform a world is worth $40.
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    edited May 2020
    logion wrote: »
    The only things that look new to me are the dumpster diving
    Not entirely. Slobs can search trash cans and bins for food, and Kids Room Stuff allowed kids to dive into trash to search for toys.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    sam123 wrote: »
    I just need to get this off my chest and may make a thread on this too but people need to really stop saying they created this EP based on a vote we made for STUFF PACKS. They are acting like just because this theme won a STUFF PACK vote means we wanted it SO badly that they made it an Expansion. That isn't correct. If this theme was part of other ones likes Generations and Farming Eco Living would be nowhere near the number of votes we would get for the other things. UGH!

Exactly! People are not upset it's an eco pack.What people are upset it's an expansion pack.If it was a game pack most would not complain?
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I believe that the devs wanted to make this and that they have made some nice things for this pack. And the fact that the pack is about recycling is admirable but...

This also looks so much like what we have gotten before? Recycling was explored in island living, that bug farm reminds me a lot of a bee farm, and it uses the same animations from other packs, I mean, he is hugging a bug, the pollution gun uses the exact same animations from the debt collector in Discover University, and I do wonder how much different making things in this pack will feel compared to the scientist career or the robotics career. The community lots will probably work the same like the markets in city living.

The only things that look new to me are the dumpster diving, and the different things you can craft like candles. The fact that the world is transforming is cool too I guess but...

This doesn't feel like a pack where they wanted to make something new, it feels like, how much can we take from previous packs and make into an expansion pack and considering that the packs are made by different people, it's possible they are even taking animations that they have not made themselves, and reselling them again.

I'm not sure candle making and scrap collecting and pretending to transform a world is worth $40.

This is exactly my feeling. It's all cool stuff, but it's nothing new really and it doesn't seem to have much game play. It could have been a GP and I bet it would have then been more warmly received. They are using up leftover ideas from past votes too, and I do like that. That in itself is promising whether you agree with this pack's content or not. It's telling me that things aren't all forgotten and since they're not done with this game yet, things people might think are forgotten, aren't and might show up in the future.

I'm still undecided but I'm pretty certain it won't be worth an EP price. A 50% sale though... well now it's a GP price and I'd be okay with that.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member

I want an expansion to expand my whole game, not add a pigeon hole adventure. Seasons was successful because it was an expansion in the proper sense. An expansion should be felt everywhere or in most aspects of your game, no matter how subtle. That's how I see an expansion vs a game pack.

But maybe I am jumping ahead. These are just thoughts.

Exactly this is Island Living all over again. I posted about this before and I will just copy/paste:

This is how EA describes its packs.
    So, like Island Living, Eco Lifestyle also feels like a Game Pack.
    packy.png

I am playing Island Living like the expansion pack it has been labeled to be.
    But I need other packs to do it.

This is an update from what I posted in the earlier pages.
    From City Living, I am expanding what is available to Vaughn Noble who is living in a budget apartment in San Myshuno.
    06-23-19_6-09-55nbspPM.png

He has to endure noisy neighbors when he is trying to sleep or get some late night writing done.
    06-24-19_10-41-57nbspAM.png

Fortunately his low cost living has allowed him to buy land In Sulani, using The Get To Work feature of buying retail property.
    If this was a true expansion, it would be Vacation Property and I wouldn't have to use this work around.
    06-24-19_2-11-55nbspAM.png

He slowly built up his property between visits to this comfy little vacation home.
    06-25-19_12-36-24nbspPM.png

Now he can write in peace and reap the benefits of a lot trait that helps his writing.
    Living in San Myshuno makes visiting Sulani all the more special.
    Unfortunately he doesn't get the full benefit of Sulani neighbors because the pack does not recognize this lot as a home,
    but that is okay, he is a foreigner after all.
    06-25-19_12-51-39nbspPM.png

Of course not all my sims can go making this investment when they only want to sample Sulani for a weekend here or there, so I added this beach/camping grounds lot. (Outdoor Retreat) Sorry Fetu, but the whole world is going to enjoy this Sulani expansion pack..
    06-27-19_12-10-38nbspPM.png

Anyway, Vaughn joined a group of Sulani natives (Get Together clubs feature) to help clean up the mess visitors and world pollution was bringing to the land.
    06-28-19_7-06-08nbspAM.png

This is lengthy, so it gets another spoiler tag.
    06-28-19_7-52-30nbspAM.png

He began to fall in love with one of them.
    06-28-19_8-08-00nbspAM.png

06-28-19_8-17-25nbspAM.png

He gave her a key to his apartment so she could visit him in San Myshuno.
    On one of those visits he discovered she was a mermaid. (Oh splash!)
    06-29-19_10-02-48nbspAM.png

He was fine with it.
    06-29-19_10-34-13nbspAM.png

Sulani is nice and relaxing, but it's missing some adventurous elements. That cave rabbit hole just doesn't do it for me.
    A shark attack would be cool, but I haven't done much snorkeling and scuba.
    06-30-19_12-49-43nbspAM.png

So Vaughn and his mermaid companion are off to Selvadorada. (Jungle Adventures)
    This particular Sulani doesn't mind a little adventure. You would think her world would have some hidden secrets to explore.
    07-01-19_3-25-16nbspPM.png

And this place is no paradise.
    They are prepared for insects, spiders, and other surprises, but eventually those items run out.
    07-01-19_3-27-45nbspPM.png

It's great to have a mermaid around to remove that uncomfortable moodlet.
    I wish she could do more in moodlet management.
    07-01-19_3-28-59nbspPM.png

I have to say I was really worried about Kala' and dehydration.
    They didn't have any waterfall in a bottle and they were pushing on to find a place they could camp near water.
    07-01-19_4-06-47nbspPM.png

It was a relief when they found it.
    07-01-19_4-13-10nbspPM.png

She was in the red.
    07-01-19_4-15-40nbspPM.png

This was one of those special sim moments.
    07-01-19_4-14-48nbspPM.png

They eventually had to return to the rental house to resupply.
    07-04-19_9-17-13nbspAM.png

Waterfall in a bottle--great stuff!
    07-04-19_8-55-56nbspAM.png

They finally made it to the big treasure.
    07-04-19_9-10-35nbspAM.png

07-04-19_9-11-24nbspAM.png

And since their vacation home is actually a retail store, they can sell those artifacts for more profit.
    "Wow, you braved Selvadorada to get these items. I'll gladly pay you double. It's better than going up against a jungle cat."
    07-05-19_4-20-02nbspPM.png

Vaughn has big plans. He wants to build a very nice home in one of the other worlds for Kala, and also a nice vacation home with room for the children they will have. They will eventually retire and live in Sulani.

So I made the pack more enjoyable for me with some work-arounds.
    I just wish I wouldn't see Sulani natives roaming all the other worlds.
    I want Sulani to feel distant and special.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited May 2020
    Gordy wrote: »
    The only things that look new to me are the dumpster diving
    Not entirely. Slobs can search trash cans and bins for food, and Kids Room Stuff allowed kids to dive into trash to search for toys.

oh yeah...I forgot that. I assume that there is a crafting mechanic involved with the dumpster diving at least... I never felt the need to search the trash cans in the game.
  • Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    edited May 2020
    I did vote for Eco-Living themed SP. What was it... Like 2 or three years AGO! Since that I am 2 years older and I would say wiser, calmer. I have no need to scream veganism, etc. to the whole world anymore.

Please, just do not introduce Greta Simberg, as somebody already "suggested". I am tired of her.
    giphy.gif
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    FluffusCanarusFluffusCanarus Posts: 103 Member
    Unless they are hidden features or stuff they haven't shown.I don't think the live stream is going to help.This probably will be the least profit expansion.

This is what i’m thinking about. There just has to be something else in the “expansion pack” for it to be called that? It can’t just be cleaning the environment and arts&crafts??
    In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different.- Coco Chanel
  • Options
    beatlokbeatlok Posts: 4 New Member
    I am just so over this series, this used to be such an ambitious, innovative game where each new iteration expanded what we thought was possible. Yet now, all we get is recycled animations, re-skinned objects and themes with almost no replay-ability. While the core game itself is still lacking a lot of stuff, dead personalities, useless traits... I don't get why people are defending this because the Guru's would get their feelings hurt, many people here like myself have been supporting this game since 2000 and have put a lot of money into a franchise that we love, we pay for these packs this ECO pack is 40 bucks, so we have every right to complain and voice our opinion. If they get their feelings hurt learn to listen to the constructive criticism and take lessons from it, after all these packs are being made for the consumers, not themselves, its not a passion project.
  • Options
    NoirStasisNoirStasis Posts: 243 Member
    I'm not making full judgements on the pack until I see gameplay; as I'm very conflicted and try to see the good in the packs they give us, but I will get these gripes I have that I agree with a lot of people that this pack will probably have if history repeats itself:

About 20 hours of gameplay cleaning up the town till it becomes clean.

The system of how the town will vote what to do ( I'm curious if the game picks randomly or if you have to convince like two or more people for it to automatically pick what you want to do). My point with this is some people want their game how they want it to look with every detail and rotationally play to tell their stories. If you don't want windmills because you don't like the site of them/ for your own reasons and don't want to use them in your gameplay, but the town doesn't care what you want and votes them in, then windmills are going start populating on the lots your not playing and you didn't want to see them in the first place lol.

The smog and consequences of being dirty effecting only Evergreen Harbor and the new use of the objects in the pack will only make sense for the new neighborhood world. How cool would it be if a big dense city like San Myshuno were effected by smog and trash piling up because Sims weren't taking care of it? Instead Evergreen Harbor might be the only world where you can do this and if you litter in San Myshuno and leave it there, the only thing that will happen is the garbage will turn into trash fruit... I might add will trash fruit even be able to grow in the new neighborhood world I wonder how that is going to work...

The pack will probably not fix anything that was mentioned in the survey nor will a patch before it include any of those amazing ideas (e.g. effects of relationships outside of the household, consequences of breaking relationships) because that stuff was just brought up and it will probably take time for that stuff to happen.

Recycled objects in disguise

Certain Life Stages being left out in CAS or gameplay
  • Options
    SheepilingSheepiling Posts: 579 Member
    I'm mostly disappointed because there's only so many packs left before they abandon Sims 4 and only make new content for Sims 5. I wouldn't be mad if this was a game pack, the idea is neat, but I'm upset that one of the few EPs we have left wasn't used for something that impacts the game as a whole. This content will only be able to be used in that one world. There's nothing to do in other neighborhoods aside from a few new crafting things. We need expansions to be content that effects the entire game, like Seasons and Generations, or stuff that can be used in any world, like farming.

I like that we have more stuff for the "rags" side of rags to riches, and this world when dirty will go really well with crime and zombie mods, but I'm upset that it took the slot of an expansion that could have made a better contribution to the game. Content that can only be used inside one world, like Strangerville and occults, need to be game packs.

If Sims 4 has say, about 2 years left, that's at most 4 new EPs if they keep with the trend of 2 EPs a year, or if they go back to only 1 EP a year like how it was happening at the beginning of the game's life, then that would be only 2 more expansions. And that's it.

In 2018 a Simguru said on twitter (I think it was Grant but I might be remembering wrong) that Sims 4 has 3 more years of content planned, and now we know that Sims 5 has begun full production. That would leave this year and 2021 for Sims 4 content, and then we could predict that Sims 5 could come out in 2022. With that in mind, I really hope that the last few EPs we get are things that the fans have been begging for for years. Leave all the weird niche content for game packs. I would personally really dig using this pack for a dirty apocalypse world, but I didn't want it to be an entire expansion pack.
  • Options
    AngeliqueAdelaideAngeliqueAdelaide Posts: 1,033 Member
    edited May 2020
    I watched the trailer and did not see a single thing I would want in my game, so looks like I will be able to save those 40 euros for better use. I found a mod for functional chicken, so they can keep their worms? Maggots? Bugs? Whatever those creepy things are. Hopefully the next game pack will be better, as knitting is not something I find particularly interesting either.
    Post edited by AngeliqueAdelaide on
  • Options
    NoirStasisNoirStasis Posts: 243 Member
    My (somewhat cynical) Predictions:

Candle making will be a new and fun crafting skill but the fact that candles melt was faked in the trailer (I really hope not but then again, they faked the photo frame in strangerville).

There will be three lots in the world, and one community lot. That's it. Because that is all that I can see in the trailer.

Community voted lots are the same as markets in San Myshuno, community votes are supposed to be following a mechanic where the votes are supposed to be decided, but they don't work.

Cleaning the world is exactly the same as in island living, it even has the same sounds and icons when you pick up trash.

Sims who live in the town will get a negative buff that the air is bad, so even if you want to keep the dirty world, your sims will constantly have a negative buff.

The sim that you are playing is the only sim that will do anything to clean the environment, the houses around you will change and maybe there will be some people that will stop throwing trash on the ground, but apart from that, no other sim will care.

Ooo that is insightful about the candles possibly being faked. When they did the photo in Strangerville I literally said in the next survey that they were so wrong for that " trailer magic" they pulled. Also, even if they do melt now some of the other candles will feel like fake non wax candles that work of the grid... It's just going to mess with me lol.