Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Coronavirus: An EA Update

Comments

• Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    BabySquare wrote: »
    What gets me going, is why on Earth are people buying up all the dang toilet paper? This virus isn't causing those kinds of issues!

We're having crazy panic buying. Where I am local shops are reporting to have sold out of toilet paper, pasta and, wait for it......

Tenor saxophones.

Look, you need to do something to pass the time.

Lol, it's really weird though; the alto and baritone saxophones aren't getting a look in.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    If you want a way to make hand sanitizer at home. My local news said just as easy to do it from home. Also make sure hand sanitizer is above 70%.
    In the UK we have been warned not to try out recipes for 'home made' hand sanitiser.
  • Options
    Lemon405Lemon405 Posts: 163 Member
    If you want a way to make hand sanitizer at home. My local news said just as easy to do it from home. Also make sure hand sanitizer is above 70%.
    In the UK we have been warned not to try out recipes for 'home made' hand sanitiser.

This is likely due to the plethora of “bad” recipes circulating on social media. What makes hand sanitizer effective is the alcohol content-it needs to be at 60% or higher AFTER all the other ingredients are mixed in, and a lot of these recipes don’t take that into account, or people assume you can substitute any old alcohol.
  • Options
    leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    At my job no have the tech (or better say no open for all employes) to work from home
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Lemon405 wrote: »

This is likely due to the plethora of “bad” recipes circulating on social media. What makes hand sanitizer effective is the alcohol content-it needs to be at 60% or higher AFTER all the other ingredients are mixed in, and a lot of these recipes don’t take that into account, or people assume you can substitute any old alcohol.
    Yeah my news station said at least 70% after ingredients are mixed in. But yes there have been interesting stories of people trying to substitute drinking alcohol which doesn't work because it isn't high enough.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    ryttu3kryttu3k Posts: 1,148 Member
    Well, Australia's officially in lockdown. No crowds above 500 - aside from public transport, school and uni, workplaces, sporting events, and shopping centres. Because no one has ever got sick from one of those! Despite being allowed to stay open, a lot of places are closing anyway. Anyone entering the country has to self-quarantine for 14 days (my cousin was meant to be arriving from the States to do some work over here in a couple of weeks, we're going to tell him not to bother), and all cruise ships are banned from docking for 30 days. Also, Woolworths (one of the big two supermarkets) has suspended all online groceries for the entire state of Victoria (the second-most populated state) because they just don't have the items. We haven't been able to buy toilet paper for two and a half weeks!

They've also cancelled the Vivid festival and Sydney Royal Easter Show. Vivid is a huge multimedia festival that gets two million plus visitors, and the Easter Show has been running for nearly 200 years (first started in 1823), gets nearly a million visitors, and is the event for rural and regional people coming to Sydney (which is precisely why it's shut down. Getting a ton of people mostly from isolated communities coming to Sydney, spending time in large crowds, then going back home? It could spread the virus throughout the state). It's only been shut down twice before - during the Depression and during the Spanish Influenza pandemic.

It's just... surreal. I've never seen anything like it.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    Revenwyn wrote: »
    Sadly, I actually have it. I am quarantined in my bedroom separated from my computer since I have elderly people living at home.

So far I am only "mildly" sick but that does mean I've slept most of the last two days.

I hope you don't suffer too badly and your elderly people keep well. Best wishes <3
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    edited March 2020
    My state Washington just went into lockdown mode. No crowds bigger than 50 people, schools are closed for at least 2 weeks, bars and restaurants must close their dining rooms and may only serve via home delivery, carry out or parking lot pick up. All public libraries, entertainment and recreation centers are closed and all shops other than grocery stores and pharmacies.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    I'm self isolating, being old with autoimmune problems but this virus has given me a terrific stimulus to tidy up and clear out all my hoarding stuff. I don't want to leave a mess for relatives to clear up. Some lovely people living upstairs have put a note through my door offering help if needed. They might think better about it if they see what needs to go in the communal bin!

We can all get through this if we use our commonsense and keep our community spirit and don't lose our sense of humour. I'm currently trying to build houses in Sims 4 on a 14inch screen laptop until my gaming laptop gets repaired and I've needed all of mine to do that!

• Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    I am also self isolating as I live with my 73 year old mom and she has chronic heart issues. We have been ordering our groceries delivered and having the delivery people put the items in boxes on our porch and then I carry them in, I only use the drive up window at the pharmacy and we have canceled all non-essential medical appointments for the time being.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    Yeah, Massachusetts is about to majorly lock us down too, (we already have limits) because the younger crowds aren't taking the virus seriously and I guess they've been flooding the bars all weekend in Boston. Universities all went online and schools are cancelled so now the students are bored and looking for parties.

I haven't been able to find TP anywhere, is there a black market for this? :D
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    LiELF wrote: »
    Yeah, Massachusetts is about to majorly lock us down too, (we already have limits) because the younger crowds aren't taking the virus seriously and I guess they've been flooding the bars all weekend in Boston. Universities all went online and schools are cancelled so now the students are bored and looking for parties.

You have to laugh....Fox News........'A police department in Oregon is urging people that if they’ve run out of toilet paper, it’s not worth calling 911.'
    'They suggested alternatives. “[T]here are always alternatives to toilet paper. Grocery receipts, newspaper, cloth rags, lace, cotton balls, and that empty toilet paper roll sitting on the holder right now,” the message read. “Plus, there are a variety of leaves you can safely use. Mother Earth News magazine will tell you how to make your own wipes using fifteen different leaves. When all else fails, you have magazine pages. Start saving those catalogs you get in the mail that you usually toss into the recycle bin. be resourceful. Be patient. There is a TP shortage. This too shall pass. Just don’t call 9-1-1. We cannot bring you toilet paper.” ' :D<3

EA is going to have to give us something soon in the way of updates or packs. I think I am going slightly crazy.
  • Options
    CaptainElsaCaptainElsa Posts: 226 Member
    Anyone else live in LA? We had a cashier get taken hostage yesterday. People are starting to enter the Walking Dead level of paranoia. Please be safe my fellow simmers.
  • Options
    x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    edited March 2020
    Stay safe & healthy everyone! Please do remain calm, cooperate with the authorities & seek for professional helps ASAP if you feel that you have the symptoms. My country just declared a partial lockdown where all the schools, unis, private & government companies are required to close except those that provides services such as healthcare, utilities, food supplies, transportation, etc. All type of gathering are prohibited & the movement in & out of the country has been banned. I sincerely hope that it can help to minimise the spread while the scientists are doing the best that they can to produce the vaccine. I've read some news that, even with all the clinical testings that they're currently been doing, we might probably have the vaccine by 2021 (IF only that they can have a successful test). I hope that more than anything, there're more people that are going to recover & the numbers of the infected would drop significantly.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • Options
    MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    Somebody mentioned they'd never seen anything like this. I'm in my late sixties and have never seen anything like this.

My 94-year-old father usually goes walking in the mall, but he's walking up and down our street now. Luckily, it's starting to get warmer (about 40 F today). A couple of our neighbors have offered to go shopping for us, as has the young man who does our yard work. For the moment we have everything we need except kitty litter. Our local grocery stores are rationing toilet paper -- 5 rolls per customer. My husband went to the grocery store yesterday and noted that there's still plenty of junk food on hand. He came home with 4 boxes of ice cream.

Although we're in the danger demographic (over 65), I think it's easier for us than younger people. No school closings or work stoppages to worry about. I'll miss getting together with my friends at a restaurant, but there's always the phone.
  • Options
    Simburian wrote: »

You have to laugh....Fox News........'A police department in Oregon is urging people that if they’ve run out of toilet paper, it’s not worth calling 911.'
    'They suggested alternatives. “[T]here are always alternatives to toilet paper. Grocery receipts, newspaper, cloth rags, lace, cotton balls, and that empty toilet paper roll sitting on the holder right now,” the message read. “Plus, there are a variety of leaves you can safely use. Mother Earth News magazine will tell you how to make your own wipes using fifteen different leaves. When all else fails, you have magazine pages. Start saving those catalogs you get in the mail that you usually toss into the recycle bin. be resourceful. Be patient. There is a TP shortage. This too shall pass. Just don’t call 9-1-1. We cannot bring you toilet paper.” ' :D<3

EA is going to have to give us something soon in the way of updates or packs. I think I am going slightly crazy.

Wait, people are calling 911 about toilet paper? For real?! I mean, I just bought some baby wipes instead. Can't flush them, but they can be used, at least. And paper towels, napkins, tissues, (don't flush them, though!) And, you know, there are showers. And adult diapers maybe? Come on, people!

Combined with quarantine, that talking toilet doesn't seem so dumb now. :p
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    tmcevoy1121tmcevoy1121 Posts: 304 Member
    JC1979 wrote: »
    @JACKIEJOY all the hand sanitizer is gone in all the stores around me too (which is fine when traveling), but no one bothered to touch the soap...nasty and gross.
    https://www.healthline.com/health/how-to-make-hand-sanitizer#how-to-make

Even those items are becoming sold out in stores like Walmart and Target so that might not help those individuals who don't normally purchase hand soap and hand sanitizer.
    A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. A girl should also always be a lady even when arguing
  • Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    I think more businesses (at least, the ones who can) should probably be doing this as well. I'm not saying, "Oh no! The sky is falling!" But I do think that folks in my area are not being proactive enough. School systems in many areas surrounding my district have gone to at home studies having the student bodies off til April, but the students here in my district are still going to school. I realize that this virus isn't more terrible than others in the past, but its spread is epidemic for a reason and I just feel like more should do as EA are.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    SquirrelTail15SquirrelTail15 Posts: 259 Member
    edited March 2020
    Man, I hope EA decides to keep the sales going - here in the UK the government keep debating lockdown and if I do end up trapped in my house, my sims game will be enjoying some new content.

To all simmers out there, keep safe. It's not about panicking, it's about making sure you can keep those around you calm and healthy no matter your predicament. People come together. There's things in Italy of people going out onto their balcony's and singing to keep their neighbors uplifted, and a website in Ireland has launched a campaign to buy food from restaurants struggling because of Corvid-19, and send it to NHS workers who are doing long shifts and don't have time to buy food. The campaign is called 'Feed Our Heroes'.
    banner.png
  • Options

Wait, people are calling 911 about toilet paper? For real?! I mean, I just bought some baby wipes instead. Can't flush them, but they can be used, at least. And paper towels, napkins, tissues, (don't flush them, though!) And, you know, there are showers. And adult diapers maybe? Come on, people!

In the UK we are having urgent messages not to use anything other than the proper paper in the toilet. Talking about fatbergs, blocked pipes.....
    I hope the people in the USA don't take the Oregon police depts above advice then!
  • Options

In the UK we are having urgent messages not to use anything other than the proper paper in the toilet. Talking about fatbergs, blocked pipes.....
    I hope the people in the USA don't take the Oregon police depts above advice then!

Yeah, people need to know that they shouldn't flush anything that's not proper TP. Hear that everyone? Use what you want, but don't flush it!

Maybe those diaper pails would come in handy for disposal. Quick, buy them now! They'll be the next hot item!
    #Team Occult
  • Options

Yeah, people need to know that they shouldn't flush anything that's not proper TP. Hear that everyone? Use what you want, but don't flush it!

Maybe those diaper pails would come in handy for disposal. Quick, buy them now! They'll be the next hot item!

Buy some dog poo bags and put them in there. They are extremely cheap to buy and come in varied sizes! :)
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Man, I hope EA decides to keep the sales going - here in the UK the government keep debating lockdown and if I do end up trapped in my house, my sims game will be enjoying some new content.

To all simmers out there, keep safe. It's not about panicking, it's about making sure you can keep those around you calm and healthy no matter your predicament. People come together. There's things in Italy of people going out onto their balcony's and singing to keep their neighbors uplifted, and a website in Ireland has launched a campaign to buy food from restaurants struggling because of Corvid-19, and send it to NHS workers who are doing long shifts and don't have time to buy food. The campaign is called 'Feed Our Heroes'.

Agreed - like they say, don't act as if you're trying to avoid the virus, but as if you were already infected and trying not to spread it to others. Stay away from people. If Western, and perhaps especially European, countries issue lockdowns, it means they're genuinely worried about something. And you don't want to be the person giving it to someone in your family who then develops serious complications.
  • Options
    NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member

There are some wonderful and uplifting acts of kindness and solidarity but at the same time this whole situation is just an unwelcome reminder of how fragile our construct of society really is. All it takes is fear. I am not even really talking about the empty shelves that were once full of toilet paper and pasta (although you can still buy toilet paper here. The drug stores are out but my supermarket still has loads.) but completely irrational actions. Like this guy the other day fogged his neighbor - who happened to be of Asian descent - with disinfectant spray (and threatened to do a lot worse). Some people out there were already on the edge and this virus was all they needed to take that last step ... that's what I really think is scary. So while I hope everyone out there stays healthy or gets better, I also really wish for people to hold on to their marbles!
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...