Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Coronavirus: An EA Update

Comments

• Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    edited March 2020
    We just went into lock down over here. I have never seen such a huge change in my surroundings in so little time. Last week my kids went to school, I went to work in a company that doesn't allow work from home and I had a drink in a bar. Now school are closed, my boss arranged work from home 36 hours before the government stated work from home should be the default situation where ever possible. No more sportclubs, hobbies, social gatherings,... As of today only essential stores (food, medical and pet food) are open. And on top of that we might run out of toilet paper, not because of a shortage, but because of hoarders who clear out the shelves in the stores every morning. :/

No idea why I am sharing this here but it helps to read we are not the only ones whose lives are temporarily disrupted. Seems like a good time to distract myself with sims but being home practically 24/7 with the kids and work at home makes me wonder if I can get around to it much.

Good luck everyone who faces corona and/or isolation. :)

Update : I just found out my government (Belgium) does not want to officially call the situation here a lock down. Strange. If this is not a lock down, then I wonder what is.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    ArcherDK wrote: »
    A little update on my end of things. Went to the shop again and now it's all
    worse. Foodstuffs that last and are worth buying are either gone outright or are in little supply. People are swarming what little is left. Some are hoarding the bottled water. Toilet paper is still around, though.

Yeah, it's getting worse alright.

It's SO annoying! I went to the store as well yesterday and it was indeed even worse than the Friday before. Now, there was barely anything in the drinks, toiletry, meat, veggie, fruit, and canned food sections. I just wanted to get some granola and bananas - fortunately, there were 2 packs left, but no bananas - and some lady was standing there with 7 packs of cornflakes in her cart. Like, seriously, lady, you're not alone in the world. These hoarders are scaring me more than the virus. Just get what you need and stop stockpiling food :angry:
  • Options
    ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    @SimTrippy I hear you. Yesterday, I had to resort to unsavory methods to get some canned food and I've heard people arguing over instant noodles.
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.
  • Options
    @SimTrippy I hear you. Yesterday, I had to resort to unsavory methods to get some canned food and I've heard people arguing over instant noodles.

Lol, arguing? A friend of mine saw two people hit each other at the checkout over who was first. I'm suddenly a lot more understanding toward the way people behave in the Walking Dead :joy:
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member

Arguing is one thing, I heard they had to call the police last Friday over a dispute at the supermarket. If everyone stays rational and doesn't hoard, this would be no problem at all.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    @SimTrippy @Atreya33 Arguing is one thing, yes. Which is why it's best that I've made myself scarce before things got out of control. As a benefit, arguing people are too distracted to notice someone slipping past them to pick up some goodies, be it from the shelf or their own baskets.

As for rationality, I fear that that's the last thing you should count on. I've gotten used to expecting the worst from people. Especially those who are scared.
    GaBDvM2.jpg
  • Options
    blueyblueskyblueybluesky Posts: 1,373 Member

@SimTrippy Same here. I went to the store today and some lady gave me a dirty look for grabbing 2 packets of treats for my pet rats and rabbits, thats all I got from there. She had an overflowing trolley full of multiples and triples of items.
  • Options
    ryttu3kryttu3k Posts: 1,148 Member
    So some of the major supermarkets here were trying a thing where the first hour of opening (7-8 AM) was reserved solely for older and disabled people (you need a seniors or concession card to get in), right? Sounds good in principle. Apparently stuff was still sold out within five minutes, one shop had only put out 20 packs of toilet paper total so if you weren't one of the first twenty in line you're out of luck, and little old ladies can be surprisingly vicious with shopping carts!

I mean we're okay for toilet paper right now, but I legitimately am worried about what's going to happen in the next few weeks. Maybe we should install a bidet?!
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    izecson wrote: »
    Why swarm the toilet paper though? Dont they know something called bidet ?

We don't use those in the US. No offense, but what they're used for doesn't sound all that great.

Yes the US does use them. Classic scene in the movie, Crocodile Dundee when he travels to America with Lynda Koslowski, stays in a hotel or her apartment or whatever, goes to use the loo, there's a bidet ... She acted as though it was a very common item to her and their location.

Ah yes, the great documentary Crocodile Dundee.
  • Options
    QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    Yeah stores here are limiting people to one carton of eggs and one jug of milk. I would not want to be the cashier/associate who has to take the extras from people at the till.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    You can't play Sims games all the time and bandwidth might be needed in some areas for more people working from home.

If you are self-isolating there are sites like Gutenberg that have free books that are out of copyright and even some whose writers put them on there for free, in the USA, UK and Australia and some libraries where you can download books on joining for a time and get a password. Amazon has some e-books at .99p in UK.

The selfishness comes from stockpiling, yes, but also from people who don't think there is any danger and put their grandpas and grandmas and the other older people in danger of getting the virus. Washing hands frequently has proved to work to slow it down, using good old soap and water for 20 seconds at least.

I've already had offers of help posted through my door and my sister has had several too so there are some very nice unselfish people out there. <3

China's pollution decreased to nil during their crisis and stopping all flights helped too. The world might have learned something from this. BTW It was shown that farming had no effect on pollution from satellite images shown on Twitter! It was all industry. <3
  • Options
    AlymariiAlymarii Posts: 4 New Member
    Can someone please make some kinda Covid 19 Challenge?? Doesn't necessarily have to be about this specific virus, but some kinda sickness/pandemic challenge where you mod or cheat some kinda contagious disease that easily gets out of control and you have to try to maintain as much of the population as possible. Idk, I'm not creative enough for the specifics, hence me coming to the pros with the preliminary idea, but I'm sure y'all can figure out something cool! xD If this already exists somewhere and I just can't find the info, someone please enlighten me! :blush:
  • Options
    Alymarii wrote: »
    Can someone please make some kinda Covid 19 Challenge?? Doesn't necessarily have to be about this specific virus, but some kinda sickness/pandemic challenge where you mod or cheat some kinda contagious disease that easily gets out of control and you have to try to maintain as much of the population as possible. Idk, I'm not creative enough for the specifics, hence me coming to the pros with the preliminary idea, but I'm sure y'all can figure out something cool! xD If this already exists somewhere and I just can't find the info, someone please enlighten me! :blush:

This reminds me of the time half my zebra population died in Planet Zoo. May they rest in peace.

@blueybluesky hahaha 😂 maybe she was angry that she had no reason to stockpile that too.
  • Options
    AlymariiAlymarii Posts: 4 New Member
    > @SimTrippy said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > This reminds me of the time half my zebra population died in Planet Zoo. May they rest in peace.
    >
    > @blueybluesky hahaha 😂 maybe she was angry that she had no reason to stockpile that too.

Lol!! Poor stripey bois
  • Options
    AedanStarfangAedanStarfang Posts: 272 Member
    Ugh there was an earthquake this morning that jolted me up and knocked all of my figures off my shelves, I'm already stressed to the max with COVID I just wanna play my little sims and make them happy and prosperous :s
  • Options
    RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,139 Member
    As someone who works in the deli of a grocery store, I can say first hand it has been nuts around here. All the shelves are half empty and people are being called in on their days off.
    Monday I spent most of my shift helping stock shelves in dairy after they got wiped out over the weekend and I stayed late on Tuesday to help get our load out on time. Today was the first day it's calmed down a bit.
    We've also been forced to close at night (normally we're open 24/7) just so the night guys can actually stock shelves instead of helping people check out.
    Part of the problem I think is that with school being out for the next two weeks people are scrambling to buy extra food for their kids, but I can't help but think if everyone would calm down and just buy what they needed, we wouldn't be running out of stuff.
  • Options
    LatteCrabLatteCrab Posts: 2,935 Member
    edited March 2020
    As someone who works in the deli of a grocery store, I can say first hand it has been nuts around here. All the shelves are half empty and people are being called in on their days off.
    Monday I spent most of my shift helping stock shelves in dairy after they got wiped out over the weekend and I stayed late on Tuesday to help get our load out on time. Today was the first day it's calmed down a bit.
    We've also been forced to close at night (normally we're open 24/7) just so the night guys can actually stock shelves instead of helping people check out.
    Part of the problem I think is that with school being out for the next two weeks people are scrambling to buy extra food for their kids, but I can't help but think if everyone would calm down and just buy what they needed, we wouldn't be running out of stuff.

This bold part, exactly.
    (and good luck with your health, and keeping your cool, with so many nasty people.) :s

My husband stopped by Shoprite to get groceries (on way home from working later than usual). They put limits on certain foods. I get it. But when they saw he had a few packages of meat (just a few, not a horde-stash at all), they took it. ALL. Didn't even leave him one. WTH.
    Thank goodness I wasn't with him or I would've had a coronary from being that angry. :#
    We are a family of 5 adults. I'd make a joke we go vegan, but he couldn't even get beans or eggs, there was none. Are we eventually supposed to live on bread and facet water?
    Selfish people make me sick!
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    Exams cancelled, schools closing Friday in UK. Heaven for kids but a nightmare for parents. It might be a good idea for some beneficent games companies to hand out some free games. Just a suggestion. <3
  • Options
    LatteCrab wrote: »

This bold part, exactly.
    (and good luck with your health, and keeping your cool, with so many nasty people.) :s

My husband stopped by Shoprite to get groceries (on way home from working later than usual). They put limits on certain foods. I get it. But when they saw he had a few packages of meat (just a few, not a horde-stash at all), they took it. ALL. Didn't even leave him one. WTH.
    Thank goodness I wasn't with him or I would've had a coronary from being that angry. :#
    We are a family of 5 adults. I'd make a joke we go vegan, but he couldn't even get beans or eggs, there was none. Are we eventually supposed to live on bread and facet water?

Yeah that's the other extreme. Just limit how much toilet paper, cornflakes, etc. people can buy, but normal REASONABLE amounts of food are fine. It's not unusual to buy more than one pack of meat. But oh no, stockpilers gotta ruin it for everyone *eyeroll*
  • Options
    And that's it. My girlfriend has been reassigned to remote work. Alas, her workplace has issued a stupid policy that she must be able to report to work in 1,5 hours if needed.
    This prevent her from relocating to country house where there is barely a soul.

From this day, we're playing COVID-19: Isolation.
    GaBDvM2.jpg
  • Options
    RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,139 Member
    LatteCrab wrote: »
    This bold part, exactly.

Thanks. Fortunately I've yet to run into anyone being too nasty, most people I've encountered have been pleasant, but I am from Minnesota and we are known for our Minnesota niceness :p
  • Options
    PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 389 Member
    Meanwhile, in the UK...

Schools: Closed
    Colleges: Closed
    Universities: Closed
    Glastonbury: Cancelled
    GCSEs/Exams: Cancelled
    Medical Centres: Closed
    Eastenders: Suspended filming
    Corrie: Suspended filming

The Pub: Open

Can't make it up.
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    Meanwhile, in the UK...

Schools: Closed
    Colleges: Closed
    Universities: Closed
    Glastonbury: Cancelled
    GCSEs/Exams: Cancelled
    Medical Centres: Closed
    Eastenders: Suspended filming
    Corrie: Suspended filming

The Pub: Open

Can't make it up.
    They aren't closed yet, and people have been advised not to go to the pub.
  • Options
    BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,186 Member
    Most closed here in British Columbia.
    Borders closed:
    Most stores if not essential:
    Restaurants can only use delivery no inside sitting. We are on Provincial Health emergency alert.

Pretty sure bars are closed. They currently have the liquor stores open but they may rethinking that. I guess even with the warnings about no socializing they had a run on them. Crowds & lineups. So sad the way some people are acting.

Wish people would "come together" in a crisis instead of resorting to selfishness. Here in Canada everyone should be grateful for how our govt is handling this. Instead some just want to know what they get and how quickly.

Thankfully not everyone. <3
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion