Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Coronavirus: An EA Update

Comments

• RevenwynRevenwyn Posts: 317 Member
    edited March 2020
    Sadly, I actually have it. I am quarantined in my bedroom separated from my computer since I have elderly people living at home.

So far I am only "mildly" sick but that does mean I've slept most of the last two days.
    Like my T-shirt? Get it here: Revenwyn's Sims

• ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    For those that want to read something without having to go to the library, my friend eimajunknown told me about the Libby App where you can borrow library books online. Works with Windows 10 too if you don't have a cell phone or tablet.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • tmcevoy1121tmcevoy1121 Posts: 304 Member
    Revenwyn wrote: »
    Sadly, I actually have it. I am quarantined in my bedroom separated from my computer since I have elderly people living at home.

So far I am only "mildly" sick but that does mean I've slept most of the last two days.

Hope you feel better.
    A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. A girl should also always be a lady even when arguing
  • JC1979JC1979 Posts: 491 Member
    edited March 2020
    @JACKIEJOY all the hand sanitizer is gone in all the stores around me too (which is fine when traveling), but no one bothered to touch the soap...nasty and gross.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member

Hope it goes soon. How long have you had it for?
  • DivinylsFanDivinylsFan Posts: 1,278 Member
    I wonder why this announcement is in the public community forum? Seems like it is meant for employees, which would mean it is appropriate there, not here. Whether EA staff work at home or at the office doesn't have any bearing on the players and customers.
    Is odd, is all.
    Or is this just an opportunity for someone to raise the issue of the over-sensationalised public health issue?
    I remember you from university, I still have your story.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    I wonder why this announcement is in the public community forum? Seems like it is meant for employees, which would mean it is appropriate there, not here. Whether EA staff work at home or at the office doesn't have any bearing on the players and customers.
    Is odd, is all.
    Or is this just an opportunity for someone to raise the issue of the over-sensationalised public health issue?

I wondered the same thing but it probably has hidden motives to let everyone know the ongoing development of certain packs/updates of EA's games will be delayed due to this.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Is odd, is all.

A lot of people do ask for this kind of transparency. The change in working environment (and especially the office closures in some countries) do have a roll-on effect on everything within the company and that transfers into delays for anything upcoming, like bug fixing and patches. So in the end it *might* have an effect on players/customers too.

@Revenwyn Wishing you a speedy recovery!
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member

Praying that you will be well soon and the elderly people in your home will be safe too. I am over 60 and have a relative living in my home that works at a hospital, which is kind of scary for me, as I am not the healthiest I have been in my life. We haven’t had any confirmed cases in my California city yet, but there are cases North and South of us, and we have had scares at the closest hospital. just waiting for the first confirmed case to show up once they are able to test more. I have become super conscious of keeping my hands extremely clean outside the home especially, using sanitizer often and trying not to touch things outside when I leave the house.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,704 Member
    Is odd, is all.

The statement is addressed to the EA Community.

As we take these steps for our Electronic Arts employees, we’re also very focused on minimizing any potential for disruption to our players. We are confident in our continuity plans. We don’t anticipate major changes in our games or services as a result of our teams working from home, but we’re learning through this process as well and patience will be key. We’re constantly talking and working with our teams across the world to evolve with the situation.

As often happens on the forum, the conversation has evolved into a discussion of the virus and personal experiences instead of it's effect on games and service delivery.
  • blueyblueskyblueybluesky Posts: 1,364 Member
    I work in a supermarket and everything is really empty on the shelves, come stock day we have to literally just throw toilet paper on the shelves because customers just swarm around you.
    I hope everyone stays safe and healthy and that those that are ill have a speedy recovery.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    Is odd, is all.

It’s PR. EA only wants the public to know about this so they view them as the good guy. I know plenty of offices that have issued work from home orders for the next month, none of them issued a PR statement because as you said, it won’t have any affect on customers.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    Almost everything is shut down where I live. We're all remote from home and online now. I've needed to do extra hours to help people with the transition. Hopefully we can help to limit the spread of this. I'm minimizing any unnecessary trips out of my house. At a certain point, I might try to go out hiking in nature or something. It feels like one of those sci-fi novels or films.

Sorry to @Revenwyn, hope you feel better soon.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,704 Member
    Is odd, is all.

It’s PR. EA only wants the public to know about this so they view them as the good guy. I know plenty of offices that have issued work from home orders for the next month, none of them issued a PR statement because as you said, it won’t have any affect on customers.

Most large companies have issued issued statements detailing how they are working to make sure their employees and customers stay safe. I prefer to take it at face value instead of assigning motive.
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Is odd, is all.

Most large companies have issued issued statements detailing how they are working to make sure their employees and customers stay safe. I prefer to take it at face value instead of assigning motive.

At the very minimum, the repetition of the need to stay home in itself is laudable.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Why swarm the toilet paper though? Dont they know something called bidet ?
    ihavemultiplegamertags
    izecson wrote: »

Most homes and establishments stateside don't have bidets.
  • JACKIEJOYJACKIEJOY Posts: 802 Member
    I hope every one stays well and for those who catch it I hope you recover quickly with no problems. I like that EA put this out. Shows some compassion and caution for their people.
    A quick note. If you have to use paper towels or tissues because no tp, do not flush it. Both are not water soluble and will cause problems with sewage systems and especially septic tanks.
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member

We don't use those in the US. No offense, but what they're used for doesn't sound all that great.

We don't use those in the US. No offense, but what they're used for doesn't sound all that great.

My experience with them has been that they are superior to toilet paper, but they're just not much of an option here.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Is odd, is all.

Indeed. Even the company I work for issued a statement. Same with post offices, supermarkets, restaurants, hairdressers and plenty of other businesses - either to let people know what will be changing or that nothing is. Customers generally favor this kind of open communication to a company that acts as if everything's business as usual, seemingly oblivious to what's going on in the rest of the world. Nothing strange about it, just a kind of common corporate courtesy.
  • QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    For those that want to read something without having to go to the library, my friend eimajunknown told me about the Libby App where you can borrow library books online. Works with Windows 10 too if you don't have a cell phone or tablet.

There are also a lot of places where you can read public domain books, though those are mostly classics like Sherlock Holmes and such.
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    Stay healthy, everyone!

I got an extra week of spring break due to the outbreak, and my classes will be online until further notice. No monster commute, which means more time for homework and gaming...and maybe some room straightening too, I guess...
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
    Is odd, is all.

Plus it is good to let the public know too especially with the EA Gamechanger and EA Playtesting programs. So kind of good I can do playtesting remotely. :)
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    JC1979 wrote: »
    @JACKIEJOY all the hand sanitizer is gone in all the stores around me too (which is fine when traveling), but no one bothered to touch the soap...nasty and gross.
    If you want a way to make hand sanitizer at home. My local news said just as easy to do it from home. Also make sure hand sanitizer is above 70%.
    https://www.healthline.com/health/how-to-make-hand-sanitizer#how-to-make