Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Phantasmal Reading Circle III: Newness Returns!

Comments

• Options
    15aewar15aewar Posts: 1,051 Member
    NyteRose wrote: »
    @Firande @15aewar @katrinasforest @lone_cat How does this synopsis sound? Any feedback/critique/suggestions to improve it are gladly welcomed! Thanks!

No good deed goes unpunished.
    In the aftermath of rescuing an unconscious man from certain death at sea, mermaid Helena Thomas is banished from her tribe and left to fend for herself among the land-walkers. Lost and confused, a stranger’s act of kindness lifts Helena’s spirit but there is something eerily familiar about him…

It's really nice! I'd definitely be interested in reading it based on that blurb!
    Should there be a comma between spirit and but? I honestly don't know. Ignore me if I'm wrong. :lol:
  • Options
    NyteRoseNyteRose Posts: 1,672 Member
    edited February 2020
    @15aewar I'm not sure either :D I can go back and edit if need be. It kinda just rushed out.

EDIT- I ran it through both ProWritingAid and Grammarly and it needs no comma.
    On a side note, I have this crazy idea of giving the villain from Stars a cameo in the prologue (because attacking, turning, and leaving an innocent for death is definitely something he'd do,) or I can use one of my alluring vamp ladies from my Library. Thoughts?
    Post edited by NyteRose on
    It can't rain all the time- Eric Draven, The Crow
  • Options
  • Options
    lone_catlone_cat Posts: 417 Member
    @15aewar I love your Sims 4 version of Beau Merrick, looks just like him. I didn't know there was vampire wall art, learn something every day. Now, Vlad just needs to be in his dark form and it would be like a self-portrait of him, LOL.

@NyteRose I'm loving all the pictures. The new Helena looks great and I think your synopsis sounds awesome. I don't have any suggestions for improvement. A cameo appearance would be cool to see in your new story.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    lone_cat wrote: »
    @15aewar I love your Sims 4 version of Beau Merrick, looks just like him. I didn't know there was vampire wall art, learn something every day. Now, Vlad just needs to be in his dark form and it would be like a self-portrait of him, LOL.

@NyteRose I'm loving all the pictures. The new Helena looks great and I think your synopsis sounds awesome. I don't have any suggestions for improvement. A cameo appearance would be cool to see in your new story.

Thanks! I'm glad there's a good resemblance. I love making sims look like sims from other games. :lol:
    The wall art is a swatch of the cowboy poster, I think. Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's from Get Famous. (There's a a billboard with the exact same picture in Del Sol Valley.)
    EDIT: It's right outside Babette Bougie's house! (Babette is another save I have. I chronicle her adventures here on the forums.)
    kuvy4UX.png
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Helena and Ambrose cuddling.
    49599566853_1f4cbda420.jpg
    Heartbeat Pose Pack by sciophobis
    (Yes, I edited him, I finally found his leg scar and arm tattoo as CC. The scar is from a surfing accident.)
  • Options
    Do any of you want to read the next installment of Uri's Tale?
    cQr98B4.png
    https://rendorasims.wordpress.com/2020/03/01/uris-tale-the-mermaid/
    It's only tangentially related to The Other Side, but I think it might answer a few questions all you astute readers have been asking. :wink:
  • Options
    @15aewar Interesting little story there. And since we're on the subject of mermaids...
    49604168911_aaa7ebf68f.jpg
    The pose I used can be found here
  • Options
    NyteRose wrote: »
    @15aewar Interesting little story there. And since we're on the subject of mermaids...
    49604168911_aaa7ebf68f.jpg
    The pose I used can be found here

Aw, they're so cute together! <3
  • Options
    @15aewar Thank you! :)
    @Firande @katrinasforest @lone_cat I've been thinking would cameo appearances by my other characters be a good thing or a bad thing? Or should I use different characters since this is an entirely different story (although timeline/lore-wise, Moonlit Tides is set during Chapter 33 onward of Stars. Vamps and witches are rivals; Mer and witches are very loose allies and vamps are hated by both.)Part of me wants to add in the cameos but part of me is iffy, too. Thoughts?
  • Options
    katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    edited March 2020
    15aewar wrote: »

It's only tangentially related to The Other Side, but I think it might answer a few questions all you astute readers have been asking. :wink:

Oo, I wants to read it! ^_^ (*Settles down at computer with a mug of something hot*) I'm really curious how this ends...and also still hoping for inspiration on how to end my own entry for March. I don't know if I'd call myself an astute reader. I'm one of those readers who thinks I've got it all figured out...until I get totally taken by surprise like I always do.

Circle-wise, we are back on Firande's Xaos this week. Any questions for us, @Firande?
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • Options
    FirandeFirande Posts: 816 Member
    15aewar wrote: »

Oo, I wants to read it! ^_^ (*Settles down at computer with a mug of something hot*) I'm really curious how this ends...and also still hoping for inspiration on how to end my own entry for March. I don't know if I'd call myself an astute reader. I'm one of those readers who thinks I've got it all figured out...until I get totally taken by surprise like I always do.

Circle-wise, we are back on Firande's Xaos this week. Any questions for us, @Firande?

Thanks! Give me a bit more time and I'll come up with something. :blush: I still fully intend to answer @15aewar's questions before jumping into mine, but man I've been so busy I haven't had time yet and I feel so badly about that! But please know I fully am not ignoring you and will come with answers to your story before asking mine. :blush:

I think I'll be able to answer 15aewar's questions and compose my own questions before Wednesday... I'll try and get to work asap. 💪

In the meantime, here's a pic of my latest chapter! Link here.
    EUAXaPH.png
    Origin ID: Fierande | Simlit | Tumblr

fgQIHTb.png
  • Options
    @15aewar I decided to ignore all the deadlines I have for tomorrow and get to your questions immediately anyway, LOL. :joy:

1. Do you prefer the comic form of the series, the YouTube video form, or both?

I really love the multifaceted nature of the video format in general; I loved the voice you used, and the music was perfect! That's something I do somewhat miss in textual writing is getting to stimulate more senses and expressing art in the multitude of ways that video can. You did this so well, and really employed these extra layers to stimulate us.
    Having said that, the big advantage to the comic form is that it gives me, the reader, a bit more autonomy. I can read at my own pace, imagine the stuff that's "missing" in the comic format (say, audio stuff) for myself, that kind of thing. I also liked how you used the comic form to its full potential too. I'm personally a big fan of "playing" with text and using all kinds of strategies to make text as multifaceted as possible just as well. I once read a book where an entire chapter was just a bunch of PowerPoint slides! It was actually super cool, and I love when people express creativity through text that way and don't feel bound by the 'limits' of literature. I liked how you write down the text, like an example being that picture with the text "Somehow, I had just enough money for it." Love how the money for it was like, spaced out to fit the other parts! Your style is simple, yet very effective and, most importantly, readable.
    If I had to choose, I'd choose the comic form simply because I'm a person who very much values her autonomy. :sweat_smile: I also probably have ADHD, so it's hard for me to even get through most videos without getting distracted very easily haha. But I love how you handled both!

2. This series introduces new chapters and concepts with what I like to call "found files". Do these tidbits help draw you into the mystery, or are they a distraction?

The whole format is super cool. The actual real files made things feel that much more realistic to me! This may be a dumb example LOL but it really reminded me of like, this creepy pasta thing I watched once on, like, The Legend of Zelda? It was a YouTube vid but it also used the entire game and it felt so incredibly realistic that I actually found myself thinking "what if this IS real?" It really stimulates me and gets me thinking, and because it's so realistic it also very easily gets me invested.

General Comments
    In Uri's Tale I really love how you alternated between the 'normal' SimLit style of text-based with accompanying screenshots but still added text to the screenshots too. It worked super well. The different fonts, the whole aesthetic... really pretty & it just works so well!

Also I'm curious... did you use a voice from the Internet or your own for the YouTube vids? Cause the voice works SO well for the video! Totally impressed.

I haven't gotten any further than Episode 2 yet but I'm super excited to read more!

fgQIHTb.png
  • Options
    Firande wrote: »
    @15aewar I decided to ignore all the deadlines I have for tomorrow and get to your questions immediately anyway, LOL. :joy:

General Comments
    In Uri's Tale I really love how you alternated between the 'normal' SimLit style of text-based with accompanying screenshots but still added text to the screenshots too. It worked super well. The different fonts, the whole aesthetic... really pretty & it just works so well!

Also I'm curious... did you use a voice from the Internet or your own for the YouTube vids? Cause the voice works SO well for the video! Totally impressed.

I haven't gotten any further than Episode 2 yet but I'm super excited to read more!

Thanks so much for your comments! That's my "real" voice in the videos. I say "real" in quotations because I don't actually have a British accent. :blush:

There are other parts that are voiced by a text-to-speech app and heavily distorted. My squeaky little voice doesn't lend itself well to male roles. Stern elf lady is about as low as it gets. :lol:
  • Options
    @NyteRose They are very cute! I can't wait for the new story. :)

@15aewar Now I have even more questions, since reading Uri's story. :)
    This is definitely Elder Scrolls crossing over into Sims. Indoral, is that the same as Indoral Nerevar, or one of the incarnations of him? You don't have to answer that, I'm just throwing out ideas. And Dawn, all I could think of was Meridia. So that can't be good if a daedric prince is involved, LOL. Or I could be reading into the story too much. Though, if Sheogorath made an appearance, I wouldn't complain, he's my favorite. Sorry, I went off on an Elder Scrolls tangent.
    I'm guessing this Garyn is imitating Morgyn and was the one in the hazmat suit and now wants to feed children plasma fruit. There are a lot of complexities and I'm loving it so far.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    So since we are sort of on the topic of Elder Scrolls crossing into the Sims 4, I created Sheogorath (the mad god and the guy sitting in the photo) and Haskill (his manservant) and posed them in Vlad's castle. I know not everyone is an Elder Scrolls fan, so I guess it's just a picture with some sims posing, LOL. I created my own versions of them, even though there are some good ones in the gallery. The only CC I used is Sheo's eyes, which you can't see very well in the picture and the cheese wheels. I kind of want to let him wreak havoc on my poor, unsuspecting sims. Mwahahaha! >:) I gave him evil, goofball and erratic as traits.
    On a side note, I used Haskill (the guy standing on the right) as my funeral director in my latest chapter of Supernatural Misadventures. I'm hoping to pump out the last few chapters by the end of this week. I want to start story 2 ASAP because I'm running out of steam on my first story and am excited to start story 2.
    dHuS8V8.png
  • Options
    @lone_cat They look amazing - and they're some of my favorite Elder Scrolls characters, too. <3

Are they on the gallery? I can just imagine the chaos I could cause with those two. >:)
  • Options
    @15aewar They're not, but I'll share them in the gallery. I'll let you know when they're up, and I'll make sure they have no CC. :)
  • Options
    lone_cat wrote: »
    @15aewar They're not, but I'll share them in the gallery. I'll let you know when they're up, and I'll make sure they have no CC. :)

That's awesome - and good luck on finishing the first round of Supernatural Adventures!
  • Options
    @15aewar Thanks! I posted them to the gallery. :) My id is lonecat82. Sheogorath is a vampire, just for the vampire eyes. Hope you enjoy them! :)
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Punk rocker Ambrose gone Goth.
    49616405107_5ac345d7c1.jpg
    49616147951_5754435026.jpg
  • Options
    @NyteRose Oh heck yes!! Vin is totally rocking both but man, I'll always have a soft spot for some punk rock looks. :blush:

@15aewar Your real voice is so beautiful!! It's super pleasant to listen to and you're totally rocking that British accent. <3

@lone_cat I have never played Elder Scrolls but man that screenshot.... it's so cool! :heart: Sheo looking kind of super hot, hehehehe.

So I've been thinking at my questions for the week and as always, I'm struggling to come up with any cool & original ones... so, brace yourself. :joy:

1. If you had to choose, what would be your favorite pairing/ship and why?
    2. I believe everyone is caught up with my story, so from what little you've seen (mostly that last part of Chapter 47), how did you guys feel about my take on mermaids/sirens? Their looks will be changing a little later on cause I downloaded a bit more occult cc later LOL, but how do you feel about their portrayal?
    3. And how do you feel about the portrayal of Sulani?

I also published another chapter called Mercy but Murders (link). I do still want to hold to my regular schedule of 1 chapter on either Sunday or Monday, but this past week I had a busy schedule so I posted Chapter 48 on Friday instead, and since this chapter is kind of short and I wanted to conclude this current ongoing Sulani storyline for now (and because I happened to actually have a rare moment of spare time today LOL) I decided to publish an extra one today!
    nZ162Ts.png

fgQIHTb.png
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    @Firande That's not Vin, lol. It's Ambrose, from a new project I'm working on. I should've specified, sorry!
    EDIT- Now I'll have to do up Vin in fishnet and leather...
  • Options
    katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    edited March 2020
    @lone_cat Oh, Elder Scrolls...ugh, I died in the fight with the dragon in the very beginning of Skyrim. My other half was just gawking at me and going, "I didn't know you could get killed by that dragon! I thought it was just a tutorial level!" I...erm, kinda assumed the game wasn't for me, then. Probably the closest equivalent games I've played to them would be the Fable series.

@NyteRose I love that mesh tank top! He pulls it off so well. I can't think of any of my characters who could wear it--only Caleb could come close to looking decent. Kyle or Elliot would just be...no. ^_^

@15aewar I love the third part of Uri's Tale, though I'm afraid I'm still not totally sure on how everything fits together just yet. (I am admittedly usually slow on these things, so I'll wait for future installments to clue me in. Though I'm guessing Dawn slapped away the mirror rock so it didn't become obvious she has no reflection?) Serjo Indoril is so creepy and cool-looking, and I totally want to use him in my regular gameplay now. Is he on the gallery, by any chance?

@Firande All caught up on reading your chapters...I shall ponder your questions. (Especially that first one!)

Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • Options
    @katrinasforest I can arrange for Vin and Caleb to model some fishnet and leather... ;)