Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Phantasmal Reading Circle III: Newness Returns!

Comments

• AuroraStormAuroraStorm Posts: 89 Member
    Hi there, are there any openings in the circle for new members (somewhat returning, Hi I'm StoriedStorm under a different account due to technical weirdness)?
    hawkins-banner.png
  • lone_catlone_cat Posts: 417 Member
    @CathyTea Thanks for the invite! :) My internet isn't the greatest right now, but once I get a better connection I'd love to join your guild!

@NyteRose I love surprises, so if it doesn't end the way I anticipated that's fine with me. :)

@katrinasforest I think it's my week, I have to think up a few questions, but I'll plan on having them later today or tomorrow.

@AuroraStorm I think there's room, but you'd have to check with @katrinasforest
  • katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    edited March 2020
    Hi, @AuroraStorm! We'd love to have you join the circle. I've only got two chapters left of Clanbuilding for Dummies, so my next turn up will probably be the last one for my story. (I'm not going anywhere; just Elliot and friends will be taking a break for a while.) Could you let me know the title of your story and post a link of it?

@lone_cat It is indeed your week this week. I know I have some reading catch-up to do, but I'm so excited to pick it back up and see what's been happening. In the meantime, any questions for us?
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
    @katrinasforest No problem

The story is called "Fire and Brimstone" and the first few parts are up.

https://stormvalesims.wordpress.com/fire-and-brimstone/

If you want any more info or details feel free to ask :smiley:
    hawkins-banner.png
  • NyteRoseNyteRose Posts: 1,672 Member
    Sorry I haven't been around much, my internet is being really wonky and I'm waiting to get new service installed this week. I should be good to go in a day or so.
    @AuroraStorm Welcome to the Circle :)
    It can't rain all the time- Eric Draven, The Crow
    @AuroraStorm Welcome! :) I can't wait to start reading your story!
    I just finished the first story in Supernatural Misadventures, which is what we are discussing this week. I plan on having separate stories, where the main protagonist goes to different locales and there is a different supernatural entity associated with some sort of mystery (either murder, missing persons, or I might come up with other stuff later down the line). Feel free to read a couple of chapters and comment. The second chapter introduces the supernatural and part of the dilemma my protagonist faces. If you want to read up to that point or beyond and comment that's totally fine, or if you want to sit this week out, that's fine too. :)

@15aewar @Firande @katrinasforest @NyteRose

So, I don't think everyone is at the end of the first story. If you have finished it, please use spoiler tags if your answer spoils the ending or something in the story. I think everyone does a good job of using spoiler tags, but a reminder doesn't hurt. :)

1. If you finished the story, what did you think about the ending? Was it a satisfying conclusion? Was it confusing in any way? Or if you haven't gotten to the end, what do you predict will happen in the end?

2. If you started reading the second story (I know, I only have one chapter so far, I'm hoping to release another chapter this week if my internet and computer cooperates), what are your predictions for this story? Or if you haven't yet, I'd still like to hear what your predictions are for the second story.

3. I am struggling to think up questions this week but may have more later in the week. So, I just thought up a random question. If you could choose one of my characters to incorporate into your own story, who would it be and why? It could be anyone, even the unnamed hostess at the Dancing Dragon, that had like two scenes in my story, LOL.

• 15aewar15aewar Posts: 1,051 Member
    1. If you finished the story, what did you think about the ending? Was it a satisfying conclusion? Was it confusing in any way? Or if you haven't gotten to the end, what do you predict will happen in the end?
    Congratulations on finishing a story! I enjoyed the ending a lot. I really struggle to finish stories I've started writing. I loved how all the loose ends were tied up.

2. If you started reading the second story (I know, I only have one chapter so far, I'm hoping to release another chapter this week if my internet and computer cooperates), what are your predictions for this story? Or if you haven't yet, I'd still like to hear what your predictions are for the second story.
    Spoiler time!
    I think that Hailey and Barnes will have a blast in Sulani - only to be interrupted by the appearance of a deadly mermaid killer!
    3. I am struggling to think up questions this week but may have more later in the week. So, I just thought up a random question. If you could choose one of my characters to incorporate into your own story, who would it be and why? It could be anyone, even the unnamed hostess at the Dancing Dragon, that had like two scenes in my story, LOL.
    I'd probably choose Officer Gibbs. I don't know why - mean characters are just so much fun to toss in the mix! I'd be so much fun to throw him into a decidedly supernatural scenario. I'd love to see how he'd react.
    @15aewar You're right, there will be mermaids, or at least a lot of lore and mystery surrounding them, but I won't say much else. ;)
    I'm glad you picked Gibbs, I give him so little screen time, poor Gibbs. I've often wondered what trouble he and Veronica Beckett would get into. Maybe I'll make those two characters meet at some point, they'd probably hate each other, but it might make for some interesting dynamics. And speaking of Gibbs, I released my next chapter where you will see a different side to him. :)
  • FirandeFirande Posts: 816 Member
    edited March 2020
    @AuroraStorm Welcome!! Like the others I also can't wait to start your story. It sounds super fun! :blush: My story, Xaos, is a big one, but feel free to just, like, start at Season 4 or honestly wherever you'd like. :sweat_smile: Absolutely don't feel pressured to read the whole thing. My Tumblr page may also help to like, get a feel for the overall story without having to read everything as I post shorter excerpts and stuff on there under the Story Directory part.

@lone_cat Yay! Excited to answer your questions! :blush: Here I go:

I really, really loved the ending. Like I said in the comments, I really think you 1) came up with a perfect crime story here and 2) also managed to execute it perfectly, which is just so impressive to manage to do both. Ivan as the shapeshifter is something I never ever would've managed to come up with myself, and then the author's story... brilliant! I really wasn't expecting any of this at first, like nada. I'm bad at guessing in general but usually I at least get like, one thing right LOL. I guess this time I did get the part where Ian was innocent right, so there's that, but other than that... you completely blew me away in such a good way! Major kudos to you for completing this story and completing it so amazingly, too. :blush:

I haven't managed to start the second story yet, but once I've finished it I'll let you know! For now, my predictions... man... after your amazing first story I can only expect the second one to be just as amazing, haha, for starters. Other than that, I'm expecting a lot more fuzz with Hailey and the author dude, as well as the other members of the gang. I'm fully expecting for Hailey and Ian to finally get together LOL... and, much like @15aewar, I'm fully expecting a murderous siren to make an appearance in there somewhere and to take the attention away from the author into a new and super cool storyline!

Alright so I guess this may be a bit of a surprising one but I absolutely LOVE Soto and if I could choose who to add to my own story, it'd be him. Of course the fact that I think the dude is totally cool and kind of handsome (:$ LOL) weighs in in this decision, but I also think he's a really solid police chief kind of character that could potentially come in real handy for my own story. It'd be so fun for like, any of my characters to get in trouble or to join the Detective career and to have to deal with Soto... I still do want me a Detective character at some point in my legacy, so who knows! Haha.

To everyone: last week I did end up publishing two new chapters because of corona-related boredom, hehe. Here they are:

52. Bring Back My Bonnie To Me
    HBbNKLnb.pngk83sE1Ub.png
    53. 🐸🐸🐸🐸
    RUtBG5db.pngNtpxLMbb.png
    Origin ID: Fierande | Simlit | Tumblr

fgQIHTb.png
    Sorry but I'm going to have to back out on trying to join. I ran into technical difficulties with my blog (and by technical difficulties I mean I ended up accidentally deleting a ton of chapters I set up all in all losing a metric ton of work and time). And while I could redo things the whole situations just left me with a bad taste in my mouth so I've ended up deciding to just switch to a new set up instead. Sorry to waste everyone's time, it was not my intent at all. :disappointed:
    hawkins-banner.png
    Sorry but I'm going to have to back out on trying to join. I ran into technical difficulties with my blog (and by technical difficulties I mean I ended up accidentally deleting a ton of chapters I set up all in all losing a metric ton of work and time). And while I could redo things the whole situations just left me with a bad taste in my mouth so I've ended up deciding to just switch to a new set up instead. Sorry to waste everyone's time, it was not my intent at all. :disappointed:
    Aw man. That's terrible! I would be so disappointed. :scream:
    If (and when) you do feel ready, feel free to come on back! We'd be so happy to have you. :)
    @AuroraStorm I'm so sorry to hear that! I think all writers have had that experience in some form. It's the worst feeling. :( I'm far from a WordPress expert, but if you're trying to set it back up again, and it's being a pain, send me a PM, and I'll help however I can. You're welcome in the circle anytime!

@lone_cat Setting aside from time this afternoon/evening to make sure I get your questions answered.
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
    @AuroraStorm I'm so sorry to hear that! I think all writers have had that experience in some form. It's the worst feeling. :( I'm far from a WordPress expert, but if you're trying to set it back up again, and it's being a pain, send me a PM, and I'll help however I can. You're welcome in the circle anytime!

@lone_cat Setting aside from time this afternoon/evening to make sure I get your questions answered.

Thanks. I'll definitely be back once I have a new fantasy themed story sorted out :smiley:
    hawkins-banner.png
    1. Just finished the story; I didn't realize how close you were to the end from the last part I read. I loved the ending! I'm terrible at predicting twists, so I almost never see them coming. But I also really appreciate when everything fits together in such a way that it doesn't feel like anything was purposefully hidden from me. It's that feeling of being right on the edge of figuring it all out and then the final piece of info makes everything fit together. Also...
    it was fun to see a villainous writer who's just desperate for a good story.

2. Haven't started the second story yet; I tend to go on reading binges. ^_^;; But I predict that peaceful life a certain someone thought they were about to enjoy at the end of the first story is about to get way less peaceful. >:)

3. This is a neat question. (I appreciate the Characters page of your blog, by the way. I'm awful at keeping track of character names.) Hmm...I think Eva could add an interesting bit of chaos to my existing story. I seem to have a lot of characters who like to control things, and I think she would add some serious unpredictability to the mix.
    Hello everyone! While the next part of The Other Side isn't quite ready yet, I've got a short series for you:
    m7FkEEf.jpg
    Meet Babette Bougie!
    Some of her adventures were already posted on these forums, but I finally got a blog up and running for her adventures. Enjoy!
    @katrinasforest Quicker than expected I have a new story to submit :smiley:

It's titled "House of Music: Building a Foundation"

Forum thread

Wordpress link

hawkins-banner.png
  • NyteRoseNyteRose Posts: 1,672 Member
    @katrinasforest @Firande @AuroraStorm @lone_cat @15aewar
    Please remove me and my stories from the group. I'm taking an indefinite hiatus from the forums and both my Tumblr and WP blogs. I'm tired, creatively burnt out, and in need of a break. All stories and WIP projects are now on hiatus. Thanks for understanding, and good luck with the circle.
    It can't rain all the time- Eric Draven, The Crow
    edited March 2020
    @AuroraStorm That's awesome; I'm glad you got your writing muse back! :) We've got @15aewar's story up this Monday, but we can chat about yours the following Monday, if that works for you.

@NyteRose We're sorry to see you go but completely understand if you need a break. I'll keep up the link to your thread so hopefully you can still get some new readers.
    @AuroraStorm That's awesome; I'm glad you got your writing muse back! :) We've got @15aewar's story up this Monday, but we can chat about yours the following Monday, if that works for you.

@NyteRose We're sorry to see you go but completely understand if you need a break. I'll keep up the link to your thread so hopefully you can still get some new readers.

Whatever you feel would work best is fine with me :)
    hawkins-banner.png
    NyteRose wrote: »
    @katrinasforest @Firande @AuroraStorm @lone_cat @15aewar
    Please remove me and my stories from the group. I'm taking an indefinite hiatus from the forums and both my Tumblr and WP blogs. I'm tired, creatively burnt out, and in need of a break. All stories and WIP projects are now on hiatus. Thanks for understanding, and good luck with the circle.

Aw. We're sad to see you go. But yeah - we all need a break sometimes! (I've taken some reaaaally long ones. :tongue: )
    Be well and stay safe. :)
    Sorry, I haven't been very active these past couple of days, my internet is being wonky again. I spent the last couple days refining my story, and writing more stories, or at least scenes, that I will probably never use. I go in these weird spurts where I get ideas for scenes, but then I don't know how to incorporate them into the main story.

@NyteRose Sorry to see you go, wishing you the best and a good break. :)

@AuroraStorm glad you were able to get a story up and running so quickly. That stinks that you lost your first story.

Thanks, everyone for the nice feedback, that made my day. :) I'm glad everyone liked the ending, I wanted to try something different.
    I kind of like intelligent bad guys that get away in the end, although, the author wasn't completely evil (he had reasons for why he did what he did, though not the most morally sound reasons). I'm still debating if he will make a comeback in the next story, I'm not sure how to write him in, and I'm kind of happy with him just hanging in Sulani undisturbed at this point, but I know that isn't the most satisfying conclusion for the reader, so I will do some pondering on what to do with him. Plus everyone thinks he's dead, except Wilhemina VonLauer, who will be introduced, eventually. She's another character I'm trying to figure out when is the right time to introduce. I still have a lot that is up in the air and as you can tell, nothing is ever set in stone in my stories, they are constantly evolving as I write them.
    The Hailey/Ian romance, it will happen eventually, but probably not in the Sulani story, but there will be lots of romantic tension between them. I love romantic tension and I love books where the love interests don't get together right away. I will say there will be some romance near the end, but I don't want to say too much to spoil things.

I find the hardest thing for me as a writer, and I don't know if everyone else experiences this, is staying in the right tone. I tend to start writing, then I will drift into overly cheesily, romantic scenes because I'm a romantic at heart. I didn't intend to write a romance, but I do want it to be a side theme. Or a lot of times I end up with really dark morbid stuff and then I have dark mystery, romantic, soap opera, LOL.

I love that everyone picked different side characters, and very different ones at that. Soto is awesome, I wish he had more scenes, I'm trying to have him at least make small appearances here and there. @Firande It would be cool to see a hardheaded detective like Soto in your story.
    And Eva, that's another character where I am like, what am I going to do with her? I need to reintroduce her because I'm sure everyone is like, who is she? How is she relevant to the story? I have completely rewritten her from what I originally had, but I'm not super happy with what I have, right now. She's kind of this unnaturally beautiful airhead, but I really hate sticking her into that stereotype, I want her to have more substance and personality than that. She would be cool to see in your story @katrinasforest . I think her and Kyle would cause a lot of unpredictability and chaos in your world.

And I wrote a long response again. I ramble too much, LOL.
    So, I think I'm caught up with everyone's stories. :) Took the day to do some much-needed reading.

@15aewar I love Babette! And the lore behind her character is so interesting. I had never heard about the Gullah people and culture, so it was really interesting to learn more about them.

@Firande I loved seeing more of Emil, Calder and Maddie. And Tori up to her crazy antics again, LOL.

@AuroraStorm I was able to get caught up fairly quickly. I like the shorter chapters in the beginning. You have a lot of interesting characters, I can't wait to see more of the dynamics between them. :)
    edited March 2020
    S4HGsxo.jpg
    Thanks, @lone_cat ! I just got finished writing the sixth part of her story:
    https://meetbabette.wordpress.com/2020/03/29/part-6-neighborhood-brawl-day/
    And now, I've officially used up all the screenshots I have of her. That means that I should probably play her save a bit more. :)
    @AuroraStorm I like the short chapters, too! I really can't wait to get to know all the characters.
    @15aewar Haha, Babette looks like she's enjoying herself during brawl day. >:) I usually ignore this holiday, then my sims get a sad moodlet for an awful holiday, and I'm like why are you complaining, you're a bunch of goody-two-shoes and it goes against your nature to fight someone, LOL. I did have some evil characters that were like the gangsters of Oasis Springs and had them fight with people, and that was a pretty fun save. It's a fun change to play with evil characters.
    lone_cat wrote: »
    I find the hardest thing for me as a writer, and I don't know if everyone else experiences this, is staying in the right tone. I tend to start writing, then I will drift into overly cheesily, romantic scenes because I'm a romantic at heart. I didn't intend to write a romance, but I do want it to be a side theme. Or a lot of times I end up with really dark morbid stuff and then I have dark mystery, romantic, soap opera, LOL.

I love that everyone picked different side characters, and very different ones at that. Soto is awesome, I wish he had more scenes, I'm trying to have him at least make small appearances here and there. @Firande It would be cool to see a hardheaded detective like Soto in your story.
    And Eva, that's another character where I am like, what am I going to do with her? I need to reintroduce her because I'm sure everyone is like, who is she? How is she relevant to the story? I have completely rewritten her from what I originally had, but I'm not super happy with what I have, right now. She's kind of this unnaturally beautiful airhead, but I really hate sticking her into that stereotype, I want her to have more substance and personality than that. She would be cool to see in your story @katrinasforest . I think her and Kyle would cause a lot of unpredictability and chaos in your world.

And I wrote a long response again. I ramble too much, LOL.

@lone_cat He-he. I do love my chaos.

I sometimes have tone shifts and worry about it being too jumpy. Usually my biggest writing struggles are actually setting and timing. The time passage and location of every scene seems to be whatever what most convenient for me at the moment, regardless of how inconsistent it is with the rest of the story. ^_^

@15aewar, you're up this week. How are things in your writing world? Any questions for us?