Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Phantasmal Reading Circle III: Newness Returns!

Comments

• Options
    lone_catlone_cat Posts: 417 Member
    edited February 2020
    @NyteRose Athena is adorable, white cats are so pretty. I like Helena's mermaid form; I think you did an awesome job creating her.
    I agree with 15aewar, I like the banished for a crime of a year to find a mate. Maybe she's banished from her tribe because she hasn't found a mate yet. Or her mermaid tribe is like your typical sirens, but she's not into the whole luring men to their deaths and she gets kicked out. Or it could be the other way around, the mermaid tribe would rather have nothing to do with land people, and she's curious about them. I'm just throwing ideas out there. I'm sure whatever you come up with will be great!

@15aewar It's funny you say the skeleton thing because he encountered the grim reaper (a sim died in the jungles) and a skeleton at the same time. The skeleton was freaked out by this, but he followed my sim into the temple ruins, so I think they became friends.
    xVg3EXtl.png

Haha, yes, the Omiscans needed a sacrifice. >:) They definitely don't see him as a godlike creature, probably the opposite, since he invaded their jungle and is a vampire, but I might change the story once I start writing more.
  • Options
    So instead of working on my next chapter for Supernatural Misadventures (which I need to take screenshots for and edit), I got distracted and created an Omiscan Chief. The Sulani tattoos and sarong work really well, I think. He just needs some kind of headdress.
    EgHE0oTl.png
    43eauIJl.png
    Sorry, the first one is dark, but I think he looks the best in that one. I had to include a bunch of background because I love the jungles of Selvadorada. :) I'll stop spamming this thread with pictures, I need to focus on my current story, LOL.
  • Options
    NyteRoseNyteRose Posts: 1,672 Member
    @lone_cat He looks great. Is his facepaint in-game or CC?

It can't rain all the time- Eric Draven, The Crow
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    @NyteRose Thanks! :) It's in-game, I can't remember which pack it's from. I used some eyeliner and lipstick from the Get to Work pack. The only CC I used was a skin overlay, eyes and body hair.

Correction, eyeliner is from Get Together and face paint is from Get Famous.
  • Options
    15aewar15aewar Posts: 1,051 Member
    lone_cat wrote: »
    @NyteRose Thanks! :) It's in-game, I can't remember which pack it's from. I used some eyeliner and lipstick from the Get to Work pack. The only CC I used was a skin overlay, eyes and body hair.

Correction, eyeliner is from Get Together and face paint is from Get Famous.

Whatever you did to make him, you did a great job. It even looks like he might have had artificial cranial deformation, something that many Pre-Columbian cultures did. <3
  • Options
    @15aewar I googled Aztec people and Montezuma and used a few different pictures of paintings to create him. I find using real people or paintings helps get the proportions right. I don't use people I know personally, and I've never created my simself. It would weird me out to see my simself walking around in the game or people I know from RL walking around. I think it's cool when other people create their simselves though. Sometimes, I'll attempt a sim from my imagination, but then it usually takes forever to get them just right. If I created him purely from my imagination, he would have been a mess, LOL.
  • Options
    katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    edited February 2020
    @lone_cat Sounds like a lot of fun research! And he looks great, by the way. I'm not sure a headdress is really needed; though I admittedly know nothing about these things. ^_^;; I feel silly, but it never occurred to me that I can use both face paint and regular make-up on the same Sim.

We are chatting about @15aewar's story The Other Side this week. So feel free to start tossing some questions out. I have also updated the top page accordingly like a very smart person who is totally on top of these things. o:)
    Post edited by katrinasforest on
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    @lone_cat Sounds like a lot of fun research! And he looks great, by the way. I'm not sure a headdress is really needed; though I admittedly know nothing about these things. ^_^;; I feel silly, but it never occurred to me that I can use both face paint and regular make-up on the same Sim.

We are chatting about @15aewar's story Book O' Spells this week. So feel free to start tossing some questions out. I have also updated the top page accordingly like a very smart person who is totally on top of these things. o:)

I would like to discuss The Other Side, if that's alright. But if you'd rather we discuss Book O' Spells, I can do that, too.

Questions for The Other Side
    General:
    1. Do you prefer the comic form of the series, the YouTube video form, or both?
    2. This series introduces new chapters and concepts with what I like to call "found files". Do these tidbits help draw you into the mystery, or are they a distraction?

For those who have read all the chapters (so far):
    1. How do you think Uri's Tale is related to the rest of the story?
    2. Why does Morgiah's house change when she's not looking?
    3. Who do you think was in the hazmat suit?
    4. Is Morgyn to be trusted?
    Alright, now it's back to procrastinating writing for me. :smile:
  • Options
    @15aewar Of course! Whichever you like! Correcting the front page now. :)
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • Options
    @15aewar Of course! Whichever you like! Correcting the front page now. :)

Thanks so much! I know it's confusing, since I haven't updated my signature in, like, forever.
    I found a really cool script generator while I was poking around the internet today. (It started with me trying to find some good random names for the books one of my sims write.)
    The results were...interesting.
    https://rendorasims.wordpress.com/2020/02/24/interlude-another-weird-text-file/
    (This isn't an official part of the Other Side, just a fun one-off.)
  • Options
    @15aewar Of course! And I should have asked to confirm, so that's on me.

Answers to your questions...

1. I have to say both. Presentation-wise, I think the videos do a better job of capturing the flow and emotion of the chapters. (And I love the way you integrate the music! It sets the tone really well without overwhelming everything else going on.) But practically speaking, many times I'm in a spot where I can't watch a YouTube video, so having the story in a format I can read on the go is much appreciated.

2. I love the "found files" angle! It's not like anything I've seen before. I think you strike a good balance with using it just enough to be intriguing.

I am caught up, so I'll answer the other questions, too.
    1. I was asking myself the same question as I was reading. ^_^ My best guess is that the disappearance of Miss Flannagan is somehow part of the larger mystery, and Uri might discover a little more than he bargained for if he investigates. I'm not quite sure how it ties into Morgiah's story yet, though.

2. I'm actually thinking she might be right and it's gremlins or gnomes. Though a more farfetched theory in my head is that things from her original world might be trying to cross over into this world somehow.

3. Ooo...I honestly have no idea! One of Uri's parents, maybe? Or L. Faba? I don't think it's a random stranger, but I don't know who to suspect, either. ^_^

4. Oh, plum, no. There is definitely something weird going on with him! I don't think whatever's going on is his fault per se. There's plenty of opportunities for certain individuals in the Sims worlds to manipulate him (magic, vampire powers, the Mother plant, ect.) But if I were Morgiah, I would not turn my back on him, that's for sure.

I typed these up just before you discovered that script generator, so I'm going to go give it a read. :)
  • Options
    @15aewar I hope my answers make sense. I'm not feeling the best and my brain isn't working properly, LOL. 😵

I like both. The YouTube form goes more into depth about what is going on, but sometimes I need a refresher on the last chapter, so the comic is nice for that. I also think it's cool you're doing a story with video.

2. This series introduces new chapters and concepts with what I like to call "found files". Do these tidbits help draw you into the mystery, or are they a distraction?
    They help draw me in. Sometimes I'll go back and look at them and try to figure out the mystery behind what's going on.
    1. How do you think Uri's Tale is related to the rest of the story?
    I have no idea. I caught the Elder Scrolls curse references in his chapter (I'm a big fan of Elder Scrolls as well as The Sims.) His name is Uri, I don't know if that is a reference to Uriel Septim, but I'm probably reading into this too much. The only thing I can gather is that it is like the Elder Scrolls is crossing into the Sims 4 in this story. Or it could just be random references that have no bearing on the story.
    I'm guessing the disappearance of his teacher has something to do with it. Maybe she got infected by the mother plant from Strangerville? Or maybe she's the one in the hazmat suit?

2. Why does Morgiah's house change when she's not looking?
    Another mystery I haven't unraveled. :) Someone or something magical is at work here and I'm kind of thinking it's not a good thing either. My thoughts are, maybe Morgyn is changing the house for some reason (he seems like he's up to no good). Or there's some evil presence in Glimmerbrook that came with Morgiah when she crossed over to Glimmerbrook and is changing the house. Or maybe Morgiah isn't telling us everything (could be a case of an unreliable narrator, and she's the one that's changing the house and not telling us). I'm completely stumped though, LOL.

3. Who do you think was in the hazmat suit?
    At first, I was thinking it was Morgyn, but now I have no idea. Maybe it's Uri's teacher? I still don't know how Strangerville and Glimmerbrook are connected, other than Morgyn being in both places if it is Morgyn. I still think there may be someone else out there that is impersonating Morgyn. I'm thinking the events aren't occurring at the same time. Uri's chapter might be in the past.

4. Is Morgyn to be trusted?
    I think there is something strange going on with him. There was that translated text in one of the chapters "Garyn not Morgyn", so I'm thinking there may be a Morgyn doppelganger running around and causing trouble.

• Options
    @katrinasforest @lone_cat Thanks so much for the feedback! You guys have given me a lot of things to think about, too.

And now, for something completely out of context:
    zyEUW8x.png?1
    Beau Merrick and Vlad doing the same animation at the same time beneath a picture of Nosferatu (or Vlad...it's kinda hard to tell.)
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    @15aewar @lone_cat @katrinasforest @Firande
    Some couples shots I took of Ambrose and Helena tonight. I'm planning a shoot of Helena in her mermaid form, but I'm getting frustrated with trying to get two of the poses to work, and Ambrose will get his own solo shoot, too.
    49585343923_bd93090e6d.jpg
    49586081267_570f25085f.jpg
    Post edited by NyteRose on
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    @15aewar Answers to your questions...
    I prefer the comic form. I really don't use YouTube much, so it's a more personal preference than anything.

2. This series introduces new chapters and concepts with what I like to call "found files". Do these tidbits help draw you into the mystery, or are they a distraction?]
    I think they're an interesting, if odd, look at the creative process and storyboarding and a plot device. I hope that makes sense. (At least the first "found file" struck me as a look at the creative process.
    1. How do you think Uri's Tale is related to the rest of the story? I'm guessing he's going to be an important figure in the Magic Realm when he grows up? Or Uri is short for Uriel, after the archangel?
    2. Why does Morgiah's house change when she's not looking? Gnomes, it has to be house gnomes.
    3. Who do you think was in the hazmat suit? A doppelganger of Morgyn or another spellcaster/military person who's up to no good.
    4. Is Morgyn to be trusted? Morgiah would be wise to watch herself around Morgyn. He seems very shifty, and I wouldn't put it past him to backstab anyone who gets in his way of what wants (whatever that may be.)

• Options
    edited February 2020
    NyteRose wrote: »
    I prefer the comic form. I really don't use YouTube much, so it's a more personal preference than anything.

Absolutely no worries there! The reason why I decided to make a comic form in the first place is because I can read something way faster than I can watch a video. (It's especially bad with tutorials...ugh.) :blush:

I don't really know how an episode is going to play out until after I've put together the video. This series is a bit like sculpting in that regard; I don't know what I want it to say until after I know what I don't want it to say.

Anyway, I've really been procrastinating on the comic for the fourth episode. Hopefully, it'll be done by the end of the week. <3
  • Options
    @15aewar @katrinasforest @Firande @lone_cat
    I think I came up with Helena's backstory and a plotline for my WIP. The setting may or may not change from Brindleton to Sulani (in-game, the mermaid photoshoots take place in Sulani for the swimmable water, and in my lore is based on Hawaii.) I'm thinking Ambrose is only about two years into undeath, having been attacked and turned either after his shift at a beachside cafe/coffeehouse or out surfing at night. Drained, disoriented, and changing into a vampire, he blacks out and falls into the ocean.
    Merfolk law states that they are not to interfere with the affairs of the land-walkers, though there are exceptions for the Mer who act as familiars to the island elder or trusted witches. Vampires are looked upon as unnatural filth and consorting with one is a crime punishable by imprisonment and banishment from the tribe... (I'm still ironing out the fine details, hope this makes some sense, lol.)
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    @katrinasforest @15aewar @Firande @lone_cat
    I gave Helena's mermaid form a makeover...
    49588080481_1b9e06756f.jpg
    49588324622_0daafed9d6.jpg

Which version is prettier, the original or this new one?
    EDIT- Which version is more fitting for Brindleton Bay/Sulani? (Sulani is where I do my merfolk photoshoots)
  • Options
    15aewar wrote: »
    NyteRose wrote: »

Absolutely no worries there! The reason why I decided to make a comic form in the first place is because I can read something way faster than I can watch a video. (It's especially bad with tutorials...ugh.) :blush:

I don't really know how an episode is going to play out until after I've put together the video. This series is a bit like sculpting in that regard; I don't know what I want it to say until after I know what I don't want it to say.

Anyway, I've really been procrastinating on the comic for the fourth episode. Hopefully, it'll be done by the end of the week. <3

That's really cool! And I've actually had a couple chapters of Clanbuilding that came about that way. (The Landgraabs, for example, showed up at the Romance Festival completely at random. I took a few snapshots of them and worked it into the plot.) It's fun when the game gives you some of those creative boosts.
  • Options
    49587991153_6905f90fba.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    @15aewar I finished reading the generated script (and tried it out myself with random fill-ins.) That is awesome and hilarious. I kept imagining Morgyn telling the whole thing like a wish-fulfillment story. I hope the site designs some other scenarios for the generator in the future.

@NyteRose I like the newer design. :)
  • Options
    @15aewar I finished reading the generated script (and tried it out myself with random fill-ins.) That is awesome and hilarious. I kept imagining Morgyn telling the whole thing like a wish-fulfillment story. I hope the site designs some other scenarios for the generator in the future.

@NyteRose I like the newer design. :)

Thanks, @katrinasforest ! It's a pretty awesome website. It's got a whole bunch of mad-lib type thingys.

I agree. @NyteRose , Helena is really stunning in the new version.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    @katrinasforest @Firande @lone_cat @15aewar
    The character sheet for my WIP is posted.

Post edited by NyteRose on
  • Options
    Here's an update on my series, reposted from The Writer's Lounge.
    Chapter 4 of The Other Side now has a comic form. (It's at the bottom of the page under the "Read More" tag.)

Here's a preview:
    Cft8ZDA.png
  • Options
    @Firande @15aewar @katrinasforest @lone_cat How does this synopsis sound? Any feedback/critique/suggestions to improve it are gladly welcomed! Thanks!

No good deed goes unpunished.
    In the aftermath of rescuing an unconscious man from certain death at sea, mermaid Helena Thomas is banished from her tribe and left to fend for herself among the land-walkers. Lost and confused, a stranger’s act of kindness lifts Helena’s spirit but there is something eerily familiar about him…