Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

5 Years and Still No Disabled Sims?

Comments

• Options
    kittykat97kittykat97 Posts: 61 Member
    NoTalent wrote: »
    Would you give your co-workers a cut of your salary? The answer is no and neither should the CEO. Each worker gets paid, they simply get assigned a budget for each game/DLC. The CEO salary is based on the value of EA stock and how much money they make. One year he could get 18.3 million, the next 15.8 million, then 7.9 million.

If I made hundreds of thousands of dollars more than them? I absolutely would. Without question. There's a difference between being compensated for the responsibilities you undertake and taking gross advantage of your position, and in my opinion, that falls into the latter category. Even "7.9 million" is an obscenely unnecessary amount of money for a yearly salary.

Kat | 25 | they/them | KatJustice97 on the gallery (check CC enabled) | I have 3700+ hours logged in the Sims 4, well over half of it in CAS
  • Options
    carlymichellecarlymichelle Posts: 3,402 Member
    i have cerebal palsy autisum severe scoliosis chronic pain type one diabetes and severe anxiety i play this game to get away from my health issues
  • Options
    Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    I remember once, I got the private practice mod, but I had to get rid of it because most of my sims were overweight. Irl, I’m nearing clinical obesity.
  • Options
    SquirrelTail15SquirrelTail15 Posts: 259 Member
    edited January 2020
    (Serious apologies in advance if this is a necropost):
    Even if it was just a walk style, I'd like to see wheelchairs added into the game - one of my best friends is a wheelchair user and it's bugging me that I can't make a sim to represent her.
    I'd also love to see quirks like ASD and ADHD added in; neurodiversity (did I spell that right?) is so important, and until we get it in Sims I can't really believe all of EA's pro-equality stuff. Also, if they do add these (and other mental quirks) in, EA needs to understand that they're not traits - if they include them as either traits or lifestates I'm gonna get cross. They're not everything about a person, they're not single facts about a person, they're NOT a disability or a disorder; it's just different ways to wire a brain. If EA ever want to make personalities and by extension, sims anything near realistic, they have to include these. And BASEGAME, not DLC. That wouldn't be fair.

Edit: Sorry if I had a bit of a rant there, no offence meant to anybody.
    banner.png
  • Options
    @SquirrelTail15 I have ASD and I don't want it in the game because I'm worried that EA is going to completely misrepresent the autistic community as a whole. I saw an autism mod once, but not only was it a trait, but it was also very inaccurate and made by someone who wasn't autistic. (That same person also made an anorexia trait that got removed shortly after she uploaded it.)
  • Options
    LyouflnLyoufln Posts: 10,861 Member
    Simtown15 wrote: »
    SquirrelTail15 I have ASD and I don't want it in the game because I'm worried that EA is going to completely misrepresent the autistic community as a whole. I saw an autism mod once, but not only was it a trait, but it was also very inaccurate and made by someone who wasn't autistic. (That same person also made an anorexia trait that got removed shortly after she uploaded it.)

I agree with you. Autism is complicated and each and every autistic person is unique. It would be tough for a video game like the sims to express autism in a way that is both respectful and accurate.
  • Options
    Lyoufln wrote: »
    SquirrelTail15 I have ASD and I don't want it in the game because I'm worried that EA is going to completely misrepresent the autistic community as a whole. I saw an autism mod once, but not only was it a trait, but it was also very inaccurate and made by someone who wasn't autistic. (That same person also made an anorexia trait that got removed shortly after she uploaded it.)
    I agree with you. Autism is complicated and each and every autistic person is unique. It would be tough for a video game like the sims to express autism in a way that is both respectful and accurate.

I'm with you both. If your read my above post carefully, you can see I don't really know how EA could represent it. Like I said - it's not everything about a person, it's not a single fact about a person, it's NOT a disability or a disorder (Autism Spectrum Disorder is the worst named thing I've ever come across - but fun fact, the prefix 'Auto' used in 'Autism' means 'self'. One of my favorite Temple Grandin quotes is 'if you've met one person with autism... you've met one person with autism'. So maybe not so badly named after all.); it's just different ways to wire a brain. (I suck at punctuation inside parenthesis so if I messed up on those last set of brackets I apologise).

I'm so, so, sorry if I caused anyone offence with my above post - I understand where you're coming from better than a lot of people would. I do still stand by my point that neurodiversity (I'm still not sure if I spelled that right) is an important thing in the worlds of today, and, indeed, the past and future. <3
    banner.png
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I'm a realistic player always craving for mundane stuff and gameplay but this is something i would pass. Too real, too intense imho
  • Options
    PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 389 Member
    edited January 2020
    it's NOT a disability or a disorder

If you're going for accuracy then yes, it is absolutely a disorder. There are a lot of things I can't do very well by myself because of my ASD. I can't look people in the eye, I can't start a conversation with people I don't know in person, I can't visualise things, I can't look at certain shades of blue because it hurts, I can't tolerate bright lights or certain sounds and I can't explain my feelings to even close family members because I can't find the words. I am not ordinary and that is a painful fact I deal with on a daily basis.

This is also why I wouldn't want to see it anywhere near The Sims, it doesn't fit with the rest of the light hearted world at all and I personally don't want to be reminded of it whilst I'm playing the game. Attention for these kinds of things is important, yes, but it isn't something this game would handle well at all. It can barely portray neurotypical people.
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • Options
    thecatsredthecatsred Posts: 327 Member
    I don't like the implication that disability is "too hard" or "too real" for people to enjoy having in a game when real people (like myself) are living with some sort of disability.

In a game you can pick and chose what happens to your sims. Maybe in the menu it can be turned off entirely. But I think at the very least physically disabilities can be added to the game (loss of a limb, use of a wheelchair, cane, walker, hearing aids, some sort of simlish sign language, blindness, etc).

Mental disability is too varied and too nuanced for sims to do properly, so I would avoid this for now, leave it to modders.
  • Options
    LyouflnLyoufln Posts: 10,861 Member
    Lyoufln wrote: »

I'm with you both. If your read my above post carefully, you can see I don't really know how EA could represent it. Like I said - it's not everything about a person, it's not a single fact about a person, it's NOT a disability or a disorder (Autism Spectrum Disorder is the worst named thing I've ever come across - but fun fact, the prefix 'Auto' used in 'Autism' means 'self'. One of my favorite Temple Grandin quotes is 'if you've met one person with autism... you've met one person with autism'. So maybe not so badly named after all.); it's just different ways to wire a brain. (I suck at punctuation inside parenthesis so if I messed up on those last set of brackets I apologise).

I'm so, so, sorry if I caused anyone offence with my above post - I understand where you're coming from better than a lot of people would. I do still stand by my point that neurodiversity (I'm still not sure if I spelled that right) is an important thing in the worlds of today, and, indeed, the past and future. <3

It’s okay! I know you meant well! :)
    it's NOT a disability or a disorder

If you're going for accuracy then yes, it is absolutely a disorder. There are a lot of things I can't do very well by myself because of my ASD. I can't look people in the eye, I can't start a conversation with people I don't know in person, I can't visualise things, I can't look at certain shades of blue because it hurts, I can't tolerate bright lights or certain sounds and I can't explain my feelings to even close family members because I can't find the words. I am not ordinary and that is a painful fact I deal with on a daily basis.

This is also why I wouldn't want to see it anywhere near The Sims, it doesn't fit with the rest of the light hearted world at all and I personally don't want to be reminded of it whilst I'm playing the game. Attention for these kinds of things is important, yes, but it isn't something this game would handle well at all. It can barely portray neurotypical people.

I agree with you too. Struggling with finding friendships and developing meaningful relationships, understanding social situations, finding and keeping a job, school (and all the anxiety that brings), and not being able to handle change/stress have affected me personally. I like being myself for the most part, but being autistic in a neurotypical world is draining and very lonely sometimes.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Sometimes I like to story-tell that my sims are autistic. I once played a sim who was autistic and had an anxiety disorder (paranoid trait), just like me. He was one of my favorite sims. We were also both overweight for a while, but I had him go jogging every day and he lost the extra weight. He graduated university (though I probably never will), became a sim-in-black, became the Hero of Strangerville, married a beautiful woman, and had two children. But he would also always sit in the same chair and he was socially awkward and his special interest was conspiracy theories.
  • Options
    loonatheworldloonatheworld Posts: 22 Member
    I had ADHD and agree that I wouldn't want something mental like that represented in the game. It would be dumbed down and reduced to sims being hyper, which would be incredibly upsetting, damaging, and insensitive. I can imagine my sims have psychological and mental issues/ailments/illnesses if I wish.

This being said, it breaks my heart that if a person in a wheelchair was playing the game, they'd have to pretend they aren't in a wheelchair if they wanted to make a simself. Something about that doesn't sit right with me. I don't know how you'd implement it well, and they shouldn't until they can, but... Idk.
  • Options
    Furthermore, people are saying it would be 'too hard' to implement physical disabilities and I don't understand why? I think most people would just be satisfied with the addition of hearing aids, wheelchairs, crutches, guide dogs, etc. You don't need to add in all the IRL 'fall out' that can happen when you are physically disabled. You don't need to add in all the symptoms and side effects either.

Our nonwhite sims don't experience racism unless we imagine this is the case, our nonstraight sims don't experience homophobia unless we imagine this is the case, our female sims don't experience sexism unless we imagine this is the case... Disabled sims wouldn't have to be victims of ableism or face social isolation or be restricted from certain places or anything else, because this is a play pretend world and the harsh reality of so many other aspects of being have been ignored in favour of creating a world where everyone can be happy and equal.

People forget that originally glasses were disability aids because now they're just so mainstream that they can be fashion accessories. We don't need to mark that a sim with glasses doesn't have good eyesight or why they need glasses, we can just give them glasses and imagine the rest. Would that be an option for representing physical disabilities? I'd also hope that keeping it vague like this would help those who wish to escape their disability in the game.
  • Options
    @PrincipleOfEntropy and a few other people on this thread... I'm again sorry for any offence I have caused by my errant keyboard in my earlier comments. Apologies once again.
    banner.png
  • Options
    KruegerKrueger Posts: 130 Member
    Furthermore, people are saying it would be 'too hard' to implement physical disabilities and I don't understand why? I think most people would just be satisfied with the addition of hearing aids, wheelchairs, crutches, guide dogs, etc. You don't need to add in all the IRL 'fall out' that can happen when you are physically disabled. You don't need to add in all the symptoms and side effects either.

Our nonwhite sims don't experience racism unless we imagine this is the case, our nonstraight sims don't experience homophobia unless we imagine this is the case, our female sims don't experience sexism unless we imagine this is the case... Disabled sims wouldn't have to be victims of ableism or face social isolation or be restricted from certain places or anything else, because this is a play pretend world and the harsh reality of so many other aspects of being have been ignored in favour of creating a world where everyone can be happy and equal.

People forget that originally glasses were disability aids because now they're just so mainstream that they can be fashion accessories. We don't need to mark that a sim with glasses doesn't have good eyesight or why they need glasses, we can just give them glasses and imagine the rest. Would that be an option for representing physical disabilities? I'd also hope that keeping it vague like this would help those who wish to escape their disability in the game.

It would be very hard to implement disabilities and not just mechanically. For one, animations. A sim in a wheelchair, for example, would have to have redone animations for many things. Cooking, getting into bed, showering, interacting with other Sims, and so on. That alone is a lot more work than people realize. And while you may be fine with just adding in hearing aids or crutches as basically accessories and not including the symptoms or side effects of disabilities, many others would see that as an insult.

I would keep going, but I'm on my phone and typing this is getting frustrating, so I'll just say this: disabilities are a tricky topic for video games to navigate. What seems like the obvious way to go for you could be seen as insensitive and tacky to someone else, and at the end of the day there's no definitively "right" way to do this. It would be nice if EA implemented disabilities, but it's also nice they recognize that right now there's just not a way to put them in in a way that the majority of the community would be happy with.
  • Options
    doedeardoedear Posts: 303 Member
    edited January 2020
    there’s not enough in the budget to make bunk beds or spiral stairs. so i wouldn’t hold my breath for any disabilities update.
  • Options
    Dannakyri1Dannakyri1 Posts: 207 Member
    honestly, all other issues aside, I think it a problem of it being too massive a task to program everything to work. Think about 1 disability, wheelchairs. They would have to go back and make every single public building wheelchair accessible. Every building would need ramps and elevators. They would have to program special graphics to transfer to and from the bed and toilet and showers -- special counters would have to be added to be at the correct height for a wheelchair user to reach. The animations for most basic functions would have be be redone. They wouldn't be able to get in a pool, garden, beg the grim reaper, pass out or one of a hundred other actions without re-writing a large amount of code.

I do think prosthetic limbs and skin color issues would be a rather easy add as all they would need to do is add a pair of pants to CAS where a leg is prosthetic, but then you would be stuck with only that outfit.
  • Options
    Dannakyri1Dannakyri1 Posts: 207 Member
    I would, however, like to see wheel chairs and prosthetic limbs and character traits that would allow me to build a disabled sim though. Much like adding the hijab, it's nice for players to be able to play a character that represents them if they want to.
  • Options
    > @Krueger said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > It would be very hard to implement disabilities and not just mechanically. For one, animations. A sim in a wheelchair, for example, would have to have redone animations for many things. Cooking, getting into bed, showering, interacting with other Sims, and so on. That alone is a lot more work than people realize. And while you may be fine with just adding in hearing aids or crutches as basically accessories and not including the symptoms or side effects of disabilities, many others would see that as an insult.
    >
    > I would keep going, but I'm on my phone and typing this is getting frustrating, so I'll just say this: disabilities are a tricky topic for video games to navigate. What seems like the obvious way to go for you could be seen as insensitive and tacky to someone else, and at the end of the day there's no definitively "right" way to do this. It would be nice if EA implemented disabilities, but it's also nice they recognize that right now there's just not a way to put them in in a way that the majority of the community would be happy with.

I included this point in my full original comment but I trimmed it down because it was very long and I got embarrased OTL. But that is the one element I do understand, in an ideal world they would be in the game in a basic way but I get that, at this point in the game, reworking all the buildings and animations and models and etc. would be difficult and time consuming for a game that can't do spiral stairs or bunk beds. I think I probably misunderstood the way in which people meant difficult!

I'll hope for it in the Sims 5, or 6, or 7, but I stand by that they shouldn't implement it until they can be sure they can do it well, and because there isn't one opinion it *will* be an uphill battle. Furthemore, I think it is the kind of thing I think that needs to be considered from the get go with a generation and if it is true work is being done on Sims 5, I doubt we will be seeing it for a while (which I definitely think is for the best).
  • Options
    smurfy77smurfy77 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Not everyone will feel the same way about this subject, I recall months back when it was debated on these forums. I, personally, am along with the folks that do not want them in the game, I think it was a nice step when they changed the trait insane to erratic, but when they started making them shower in the rain it bothered me, it does not bother everyone, but it does me. I suffer from a mental disability myself and it just made me feel as tho being *erratic* as they call it or mentally unstable as we really are was misunderstood and it did add to humor in it. That is just my opinion, I do think its right to just stay away from this topic because as someone else mentioned some things may be taken differently by different folks, and even hurtful to some that go thru them. I play my game to get away from my real life and the things I can no longer do, that I can do in the game. That is one of the reasons I feel they should not do it, I guess no one seemed to see they already have a disability in the game, since being *erratic* as they call it is a mental disability. But then it is often overlooked as being one over physical ones too often.
  • Options
    mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    edited January 2020
    I don't know about this. I think wheelchairs could easily be added and fit into the game with no issue, but things like severe mental illness and disabilities would be problematic. I also haven't seen many actual disabled people requesting this, because from what I hear they play this partly to escape their health problems in reality.
  • Options
    CircusPeanutCircusPeanut Posts: 6 New Member
    This should be a feature that could be enabled in settings. I also think that this could be a free pack you could download. If they do add this I hope they add it for legacy players : )
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    I don't know, I think adding it in a pack you have to pay for is the worst way they could handle this. Mentally and physically disabled people aren't unlockable features. I think most people would rather they didn't include disabilities at all than put us behind a paywall like that. Cashing in on the fact they didn't include disabled people before isn't a good look and frames them in the light of 'we will only give you content once we are sure we can get money from you'.

A totally free pack I guess could work, but even if no money is involved I'd fear the same criticism. It'd feel more commerical than it ought to, I think.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top