Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I really hope we have 5 more years left.

Comments

• Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    I've seen some improvements last year.
    I've love the Strangerville, Mermaids & Spellcasters.
    Sims 4 never freezed up like in Sims 3.
    Sims 4 has potental to improve.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited January 2020
    LieLF-so people should keep putting up with half-baked packs and bugs and glitches just because a few people love Sims 4 and want it to keep going on for too many more years? How is that fair to those who want a game with lots of gameplay? People who are sick and tired of putting up with half-baked packs and bugs should not have to settle for a Sims iteration that does'nt even have old bugs fixed.

I'll say this again: Let Sims 4 continue to late 2020 or early 2021,then EA can give us Sims 5. If Sims 4 continues to go on and on,then you might as well accept that the engine is going to break sooner or later,and ot be able to be fixed at all. The Sims 4 engine is really weak,and it's not going to last for many more years. If EA had deciced to build Sims 4 on a very strong game engine,then people would be fine with it lasting many more years. It doesn't make any sense to keep a game going and going on a weak game engine that's already been struggling to work for 5-6 years now.

And EA may of been working on Sims 5 already,getting ready to release it in 1-2 years.

I'm not understanding why everyone thinks it's so weak? Only the people who built the engine or make the games know how much it can handle?
    And me and my sister have been playing since release with very few bugs or glitches. The few I experienced were not game breaking just funny. But they fixed it. And I only had one crash from bad cc. Other than that me and my sister's game runs like a dream. And it cant be just us.

Maxis is doing a great job keeping the sims4 running so I don't think that we will see the game crash. But they will probably have to spend more time going over all the tuning files every time they want to add something. And some of that code is over 5 years old now and could have been written by people who no longer work at Maxis. I worry more that we will have bugs that will never be fixed and expansion packs that feel like game packs because they don't have time to make any larger changes.
  • Options
    KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    edited January 2020
    LiELF wrote: »
    LieLF-so people should keep putting up with half-baked packs and bugs and glitches just because a few people love Sims 4 and want it to keep going on for too many more years? How is that fair to those who want a game with lots of gameplay? People who are sick and tired of putting up with half-baked packs and bugs should not have to settle for a Sims iteration that does'nt even have old bugs fixed.

I'll say this again: Let Sims 4 continue to late 2020 or early 2021,then EA can give us Sims 5. If Sims 4 continues to go on and on,then you might as well accept that the engine is going to break sooner or later,and ot be able to be fixed at all. The Sims 4 engine is really weak,and it's not going to last for many more years. If EA had deciced to build Sims 4 on a very strong game engine,then people would be fine with it lasting many more years. It doesn't make any sense to keep a game going and going on a weak game engine that's already been struggling to work for 5-6 years now.

And EA may of been working on Sims 5 already,getting ready to release it in 1-2 years.

Like I said, don't support it if you don't like it. Easy. You wouldn't be "putting up" with "half-baked" packs, bugs and glitches at all if you actually stopped buying and playing them. Is it a self-control issue? I'm pretty sure the devs aren't holding a gun to your head and making you purchase the next pack. If you're having such a hard time walking away, maybe there's a part of you that actually likes the game?

You also really need to stop pretending that Sims 4 isn't lucrative by trying to downplay its player base. Making up truth doesn't help your argument. The investor reports state otherwise, as does the continuing development of the game. If it didn't have significant player support, it would have ended a while ago. EA won't put money into a game that doesn't profit, that's just business logistics. You can ignore it if you want, but you'd just be lying to yourself and what good would that do?

And how is it "fair" to end a popular game prematurely just for a minority who don't like it? They sure didn't end Sims 3 early despite not only betraying the entire rotational player base, but offering a game full of bugs and routing errors, blue screens, crashing problems, and in the end, leaving it in a sorry disastrous state. In fact, Sims 3 probably should have ended earlier because of the problems people were having but they kept piling onto it. So there's a lesson to be learned there. I do agree though, that no doubt, this will also be the fate of Sims 4 in the end. Because that's how EA does things. They will push the game and continue to release content for it until they are good and ready to release the next iteration. It has little to do with how weak or strong the game engine is.

Speaking of, I just have to add that unless you are a game developer, there is no concrete truth to your claim that Sims 4 has a "weak engine". This is something that some players have been claiming by blowing statements out of proportion to make it sound like they know what they're talking about. Every game engine has pros and cons, and is built a certain way to accommodate specific types of gameplay. Trying to spread hysteria over the engine is nonsensical. The Sims 4 has definitely not been "struggling to work" for its five plus years, lol. It really hasn't. In fact, from what I see, the game is usually commended by a lot of people for its ability to still run smoothly. To be honest, I've only just started to see an escalation of complaints since...I'd say Island Living came out. And no doubt it will, like Sims 3 before it, eventually get bogged down and bloated from the weight of content and the bugs will remain. This is what happens when you add a ton of DLC upon DLC in a short amount of time. Realistically, most other games add content maybe once a year aside from microtransactions. This allows for more time in between to find and iron out more bugs and glitches. But a Sims game throws content out every few months, which means they are increasing the potential for new bugs with every single release. Sims 5 won't be any different. It will run mostly fine for the first couple of years and then it will get buggier and buggier and some things will never get fixed. This isn't something that's distinctive to Sims 4. It's distinctive to The Sims franchise in general.

Anyway, just to throw some light on this, I agree with you that the Sims 4 needs better gameplay. I leave feedback all the time about needing Fears, chemistry systems, preferences, and more distinctive personality mechanics. And I've come to the conclusion that the problem with the packs isn't actually the packs. It's the base game mechanics. The packs would actually be pretty awesome if the core gameplay had the depth that the previous games had. But no pack is going to fix that. That's something that has to be seriously patched into the base game, and it's really a question of if the devs can and/or will pursue that endeavor, and what it would take in funding and effort to make it right, or make it worth doing for EA's approval. So it's possible that we may never get those things. If we don't, then yes, we can only hope that Sims 5 will come one day and that it will do justice to the original Sims concept. But in order to fulfill that hope, it needs its full time in development and not to be rushed out because some people don't want to wait for it. Or we'll be right back in the same place we are now.

Really hate this attitude of "don't like it, don't play it." like......seriously?!
    Basically telling us who don't like it and want a better game to "shut up and take it."
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member

Like I said, don't support it if you don't like it. Easy. You wouldn't be "putting up" with "half-baked" packs, bugs and glitches at all if you actually stopped buying and playing them. Is it a self-control issue? I'm pretty sure the devs aren't holding a gun to your head and making you purchase the next pack. If you're having such a hard time walking away, maybe there's a part of you that actually likes the game?

You also really need to stop pretending that Sims 4 isn't lucrative by trying to downplay its player base. Making up truth doesn't help your argument. The investor reports state otherwise, as does the continuing development of the game. If it didn't have significant player support, it would have ended a while ago. EA won't put money into a game that doesn't profit, that's just business logistics. You can ignore it if you want, but you'd just be lying to yourself and what good would that do?

And how is it "fair" to end a popular game prematurely just for a minority who don't like it? They sure didn't end Sims 3 early despite not only betraying the entire rotational player base, but offering a game full of bugs and routing errors, blue screens, crashing problems, and in the end, leaving it in a sorry disastrous state. In fact, Sims 3 probably should have ended earlier because of the problems people were having but they kept piling onto it. So there's a lesson to be learned there. I do agree though, that no doubt, this will also be the fate of Sims 4 in the end. Because that's how EA does things. They will push the game and continue to release content for it until they are good and ready to release the next iteration. It has little to do with how weak or strong the game engine is.

Speaking of, I just have to add that unless you are a game developer, there is no concrete truth to your claim that Sims 4 has a "weak engine". This is something that some players have been claiming by blowing statements out of proportion to make it sound like they know what they're talking about. Every game engine has pros and cons, and is built a certain way to accommodate specific types of gameplay. Trying to spread hysteria over the engine is nonsensical. The Sims 4 has definitely not been "struggling to work" for its five plus years, lol. It really hasn't. In fact, from what I see, the game is usually commended by a lot of people for its ability to still run smoothly. To be honest, I've only just started to see an escalation of complaints since...I'd say Island Living came out. And no doubt it will, like Sims 3 before it, eventually get bogged down and bloated from the weight of content and the bugs will remain. This is what happens when you add a ton of DLC upon DLC in a short amount of time. Realistically, most other games add content maybe once a year aside from microtransactions. This allows for more time in between to find and iron out more bugs and glitches. But a Sims game throws content out every few months, which means they are increasing the potential for new bugs with every single release. Sims 5 won't be any different. It will run mostly fine for the first couple of years and then it will get buggier and buggier and some things will never get fixed. This isn't something that's distinctive to Sims 4. It's distinctive to The Sims franchise in general.

Anyway, just to throw some light on this, I agree with you that the Sims 4 needs better gameplay. I leave feedback all the time about needing Fears, chemistry systems, preferences, and more distinctive personality mechanics. And I've come to the conclusion that the problem with the packs isn't actually the packs. It's the base game mechanics. The packs would actually be pretty awesome if the core gameplay had the depth that the previous games had. But no pack is going to fix that. That's something that has to be seriously patched into the base game, and it's really a question of if the devs can and/or will pursue that endeavor, and what it would take in funding and effort to make it right, or make it worth doing for EA's approval. So it's possible that we may never get those things. If we don't, then yes, we can only hope that Sims 5 will come one day and that it will do justice to the original Sims concept. But in order to fulfill that hope, it needs its full time in development and not to be rushed out because some people don't want to wait for it. Or we'll be right back in the same place we are now.

Really hate this attitude of "don't like it, don't play it." like......seriously?!

I Know. But with all due respect, when people have resolved to stalking the game, complaining about the exact same things over and over again, without contributing anything constructive, to the point of becoming obsolete, what else is there to say to them anymore except that the game isn't going to make any drastic changes by now. (Open world, color wheel, CaSt, dropping the emotion system, changing multitasking, story progression, becoming Sims 3.5 or 2.5, etc.) That's just reality. It's here now, it has been for five years and it's going to be here for another three or so. That's life. We don't always get what we want. If you have a problem with every single pack and can't enjoy anything, you're only feeding your own malcontent by continuing to have expectations that you should know by now aren't going to be met. The realistic solution is to not play the game. Sometimes we choose our own miseries.

And look, I'm speaking as someone who also isn't satisfied with Sims 4's base game (though I still play Sims 4), and couldn't stand Sims 3 when it came out. But I didn't hang around bashing the game just to spread malcontent either. I just went on with my life and returned to Sims 2 without looking back until Sims 4 came out. I just don't understand why that's hard to do. People these days can't stand to not have exactly their way and life doesn't work like that.

Constructive criticism and actual feedback is very important. But trashing and bashing serves no purpose but to spread discord.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member

I Know. But with all due respect, when people have resolved to stalking the game, complaining about the exact same things over and over again, without contributing anything constructive, to the point of becoming obsolete, what else is there to say to them anymore except that the game isn't going to make any drastic changes by now. (Open world, color wheel, CaSt, dropping the emotion system, changing multitasking, story progression, becoming Sims 3.5 or 2.5, etc.) That's just reality. It's here now, it has been for five years and it's going to be here for another three or so. That's life. We don't always get what we want. If you have a problem with every single pack and can't enjoy anything, you're only feeding your own malcontent by continuing to have expectations that you should know by now aren't going to be met. The realistic solution is to not play the game. Sometimes we choose our own miseries.

And look, I'm speaking as someone who also isn't satisfied with Sims 4's base game (though I still play Sims 4), and couldn't stand Sims 3 when it came out. But I didn't hang around bashing the game just to spread malcontent either. I just went on with my life and returned to Sims 2 without looking back until Sims 4 came out. I just don't understand why that's hard to do. People these days can't stand to not have exactly their way and life doesn't work like that.

Constructive criticism and actual feedback is very important. But trashing and bashing serves no purpose but to spread discord.

I couldn't have said it better😆 I usually just try to ignore it. Constructive criticism and feedback is perfectly fine. But this forum since I came here seems to be more of a hateful sims4 must end NOW bashing get together than anything else. And almost every conversation tends to turn into how amazing 2 and 3 is, and how awful part 4 is. I know it has it's problems and the base game got off to a bad start but come on. And people seem to forget the devs, like any other company, is most likely working with a certain budget, rules and limitations. People have said themselves the budget for sims4 is smaller. (Though I don't know where they got the information)

I don't speak much on the subject because there's no sense in debating about it but sometimes I wonder if that's why the guru's seems to have abandoned the Forums and went to twitter. If I was a game maker putting all my time and effort into it the best I could, it would hurt me to see constant negativity about my work. 😔 oh well, it is what it is. I'm done with this subject.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    edited January 2020
    Can you tell me where you got this info from? As far as I know, EA doesn‘t publish sales numbers. I remember though some Guru threatening us that there won‘t be a TS5 if TS4 isn‘t a success. I don’t think the would put a gun to our heads if TS4 was the most successful Sims game ever.

Also, SimGuruDuke flat out told us last year on one of the Maxis Monthly streams that TS4 is the best-selling, most successful Sims game yet.

Around 20:35 of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaMyeunER4I&t=1235s

I'm just waiting here for people accusing him of lying, with no evidence other than they don't wanna believe it's true :D
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member
    elelunicy wrote: »
    No, no - these are transcripts of their conference calls - these are NOT the actual numbers. They're actually quite vague.

All numbers they gave in their conference calls are either factual (when talking about past quarters or past years), or their own projection (if the numbers include future quarters).
    So it doesn't actually say that The Sims 4 has added $5 billion to sales - it only contributed to the entire The Sims franchise. And that is all the earnings call talked about. No actual numbers - not even how much it actually contributed to The Sims franchise lifetime sales. If you read the other earnings calls, they are just as vague.

Nobody has said The Sims 4 has made $5 billion in sales. You're the only who's saying that.

There is nothing vague about that statement itself either. When they say The Sims franchise as whole has made $5 billion in sales, they just mean The Sims franchise as whole has made $5 billion in sales and nothing else. You're the only one who's like "BUT but it doesn't say how much TS4 contributed to the $5 billion and thus it's vague!!"
    Plus your word that it "they expect TS4 to generate between $300-400 million for FY2020" is just speculation.

No. You just missed it.

From Q2 2020:
    With regards to business drivers, we've raised our net bookings outlook for the year to $5.125 billion. Live services remain strong, and we continue to expect Apex Legends and The Sims to both deliver net bookings in the $300 million to $400 million range.

Bookings = revenue/sales since TS4 doesn't generate deferred revenue.

If you wanna tell me this doesn't say TS4 and it could mean the whole franchise, they specifically said TS4 for the same $300-400 million projection in Q1.
    We are reiterating our guidance for the full year. We continue to expect The Sims 4 and Apex Legends to each deliver net bookings in the $300 million to $400 million range.
    Moreover, it says The Sims along with Apex Legends, so it's not even expected to generate all that by itself.
    No. You can read the previous transcript and see it's $300 million to $400 million each. They also separate called out the $300-400 million for Sims alone so it's definitely not two games combined.
    Obviously, Sims, we've called out that it's in the same range of $300 million to $400 million

What I've found is that you've become quite desperate and is now trying to deny everything by calling it "vague".

It says the sims, that includes Sims 3 Sims Mobile, Sims free play, and four.Its not separate.No one is saying the sims 4 is failing.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    It says the sims, that includes Sims 3 Sims Mobile, Sims free play, and four.Its not separate.

No. That $300-$400 million projection is TS4 only.
    We are reiterating our guidance for the full year. We continue to expect The Sims 4 and Apex Legends to each deliver net bookings in the $300 million to $400 million range.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    This thread is starting to remind me of the ProZD skit about liking things and saying so on the internet.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member

Basically telling us who don't like it and want a better game to "shut up and take it."
    I never liked it either and always made me think of this meme. Like Simmers trying to act like they work for EA or something which is silly because they don't.
    ea-shut-up.jpg

Then again hate when politics of any sort are brought into the Sims of why something shouldn't be added into the Sims 4. Such a debate about the game being politically correct, but then when it adds anything that is remotely worldwide inclusion, it is viewed as the most evil thing in the world. It is like people want the game to be inclusive but then when it is, people who play and don't play the game say the most hateful comments about people of other genders/cultures/religions, etc. Ex. Gender update and hijab and holiday updates. It is like keep the rich white supremacy out of my Sims games please. Game is great at representing one country's social media world but still falls short when representing the rest of the world and real life still even five years later. Ageism and CAS favoring females mostly really isn't helping the game at all. Politically correct is nothing more than a hoax and excuse to show hate towards others and sadly it has befallen the Sims community too. I come to the Sims to escape all that and if anything the Sims 4 has encouraged it and that is what bothers me most at the end of the day. Why would I want 5 more years of that?
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    It says the sims, that includes Sims 3 Sims Mobile, Sims free play, and four.Its not separate.

No. That $300-$400 million projection is TS4 only.

Oh sorry didn't see that.
  • Options
    Personal observation, the sims 4 is not going to have five more years.Three is to me the maximum.People say this is the longest.But that's because they do not have a sequel ready.When 3 launch four was bring work on.Same with two.The sims 4 will end.When 5 is ready .
  • Options
    dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    I need actual sources please of real numbers, not guestimates or hear-say (Linked-in doesn't count -anyone can make up a number there.)

I know EA has investors they don't want to lose, but I hate when they lie. It makes me not trust them even more. I'm definitely not pre-ordering anything from them anymore. I'm waiting to see if TS5 is good before I buy it.

PS - I've looked at their official financial reports and they never give any real hard numbers for any one specific game - it is all cumulative. So saying that TS4 is purely responsible for all the profits in The Sims series isn't true. More than likely, TS3 is actually helping out quit a bit (since it still sells so well) and all the other The Sims products.

Lol EA is a publicly traded company and it’s illegal for them to lie to their investors about their financials. I love how self-important some people are and think EA would ever care enough to lie to you, when in fact they couldn’t care less about what you think :D

TS4 crossing $1 billion revenue was announced during the Q2 FY2019 earnings call. You can read the transcript here:

https://s22.q4cdn.com/894350492/files/doc_financials/2019/q3/Q3-FY19-Transcript.pdf

TS4’s revenue growing ever year since its release in 2014 was announced during the Q1 FY2020 earnings call. You can read the transcript here:

https://s22.q4cdn.com/894350492/files/doc_financials/2020/q1/Q1-FY20-Transcript.pdf

During the Q2 FY2020 earnings call, EA CFO mentioned that they continue to expect TS4 to generate between $300-400 million for FY2020.

https://s22.q4cdn.com/894350492/files/doc_financials/2020/q2/Transcript.pdf

All of these numbers are specific to TS4, and not the franchise as a whole.

This is a lie. It says:

„Live services remain strong, and we continue to expect Apex Legends and The Sims to both deliver net bookings in the $300 million to $400 million range.“

It‘s about The Sims, not The Sims 4.

• Options
    @dearie_blossom

Read the other posts. You’re the third person who tries to use this excuse.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Options
    dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    @dearie_blossom

Can you post a screenshot of what you‘re seeing because I clearly see „The Sims“ and not „The Sims 4“.

jQjCWpk.jpg
  • Options
    @dearie_blossom

This $300-400 million projection was first stated in Q1 and it's explicitly for TS4. In Q2 they basically stated that they're still on track for that projection.

OOhsdDw.png

Do not automatically assume "The Sims" means the franchise as a whole, as context matters. For example in Q2 EA's CFO used the word "The Sims" when he was specifically talking about TS4.
    Yes. No, we were implying growth for the Sims as well. We've continued to grow that title every year for the -- since it was shipped, what, 7 years ago and we feel that, that continues on.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Options
    @dearie_blossom

Can you post a screenshot of what you‘re seeing because I clearly see „The Sims“ and not „The Sims 4“.

jQjCWpk.jpg

In regards to the above, it also clearly states this:

"As Andrew noted, The Sims is now a $5 billion franchise for us and it continues to grow, driven by new content and new platforms."

This statement right here first addresses the franchise as a whole when stating "The Sims", as a 5 billion dollar franchise, but it specifies right after what is now making the money ("continues to grow") when they state, "driven by new content and new platforms".

The Sims 3 is not new, it is not producing new content, it is not a new platform. The Sims 3 did rake in money in its day, but that day is passed.

These reports also continue to talk about the DLC content for both the year and the quarter, and how it has positively affected their numbers. It looks to me that they were often referencing packs. It was even addressed somewhere in one of those reports where they specified GPs and EPs were performing very well, and projected to do even more after the success of the base game promotion (when they offered it for free), which brought in seven million new active players. In one week.

So yeah, they do mention the franchise as a whole several times throughout the reports, particularly regarding the "over 5 billion" lifetime sales. I'm sure Sims 3 is included in the general positive outlook of overall numbers coming in from all platforms. But the clear moneymaker is definitely Sims 4.

Thanks @elelunicy for finding and sharing these reports. I find them really interesting. :)
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Yeah from the reports, Sims 4 is earning somewhere in the $300 to $400 million range. Sims 4 seems to be pieced out in DLC like the Sims 3 sets in making a few high demanded objects with filler items. Silly to assume Sims 3 isn't making money anymore considering it is still being sold in a higher traffic game engine with Steam for now and the Sims 3 store is still running. Sims 1 and 2 however aren't being sold to the public in any game engine currently. Only existing copies are being resold.
    https://store.thesims3.com/setsProductListing.html?scategoryId=14442

The Sims as a franchise is 5 billion which includes anything from mobile, console, side games, etc. So as much as people like to put down previous Sims games, Sims 4 has made 6-8% of the profit as a whole which means the Sims 4 could never have been funded if it were not for the support of the 92%-94% of the other games. Sims I think is the only franchise I've heard of that the company puts down their previous products and sad to see Simmers copy that trend. Every other franchise is proud of the history and profits of their previous games. But one thing I do know, Sims 4 profits will help fund the Sims 5 and whether that game happens before or after Paralives comes out is up to Maxis. Either way Paralives will be in the life simulation genre and whether or not Sims franchise chooses to enter that market again is up to Maxis, but technology is going to and has already changed a lot since 5 years ago, so with more time Sims 4 will show its age with graphics and its engine.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited January 2020
    @Scobre wrote: »
    Silly to assume Sims 3 isn't making money anymore considering it is still being sold in a higher traffic game engine with Steam for now and the Sims 3 store is still running.

I don't know Maxis never talked about the Store.
    (Note: $5 per visit would reach more than $2 MM)
    Store.thesims3.com Traffic Estimate

store.thesims3.com has received an estimated 493,700 visits over the last 30 days.
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • Options
    @Scobre wrote: »
    Silly to assume Sims 3 isn't making money anymore considering it is still being sold in a higher traffic game engine with Steam for now and the Sims 3 store is still running.

I don't know Maxis never talked about the Store.
    (Note: $5 per visit would reach more than $2 MM)
    Store.thesims3.com Traffic Estimate

store.thesims3.com has received an estimated 493,700 visits over the last 30 days.

Well that is somewhat profit.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited January 2020
    No matter the money if The Sims 4 become technically unstable and/or obsolete, there will be no other choice.
    Just imagine if Maxis decide to do a more flexible Build Mode similar to Paralives, TS4 is not technically able to do it.

The features that Maxis wants to bring us may decide the fate of The Sims 4.
  • Options
    Scobre wrote: »
    Yeah from the reports, Sims 4 is earning somewhere in the $300 to $400 million range. Sims 4 seems to be pieced out in DLC like the Sims 3 sets in making a few high demanded objects with filler items. Silly to assume Sims 3 isn't making money anymore considering it is still being sold in a higher traffic game engine with Steam for now and the Sims 3 store is still running. Sims 1 and 2 however aren't being sold to the public in any game engine currently. Only existing copies are being resold.
    https://store.thesims3.com/setsProductListing.html?scategoryId=14442

The Sims as a franchise is 5 billion which includes anything from mobile, console, side games, etc. So as much as people like to put down previous Sims games, Sims 4 has made 6-8% of the profit as a whole which means the Sims 4 could never have been funded if it were not for the support of the 92%-94% of the other games. Sims I think is the only franchise I've heard of that the company puts down their previous products and sad to see Simmers copy that trend. Every other franchise is proud of the history and profits of their previous games. But one thing I do know, Sims 4 profits will help fund the Sims 5 and whether that game happens before or after Paralives comes out is up to Maxis. Either way Paralives will be in the life simulation genre and whether or not Sims franchise chooses to enter that market again is up to Maxis, but technology is going to and has already changed a lot since 5 years ago, so with more time Sims 4 will show its age with graphics and its engine.

I don't think anyone was trying to say that Sims 3 wasn't making any money anymore, (after all, with its store, it is also a live service, which EA keeps raving about in general,) just that it's not the one making enough to carry the franchise. Why would it? It's not in production anymore, not being marketed, and it's an older game, showing its age. That's not "putting down" Sims 3, that's just the way things are, expectedly so. The newest game is always the one to draw the larger crowd because it's new, it's pushed by the company, and it takes on the next generation of gamers. It's been that way for the whole Sims franchise, I don't know why someone would be offended by that. If Sims 3 was raking in significant money, it would have been mentioned more in these reports either by name or as a "previous title", as this language was used to reference the revenue performance of other games.

The success of each game does most likely contribute to funding the next one. I imagine that's where the money comes from. Just like Sims 2 funded Sims 3 and Sims 1 funded Sims 2. And moving forward, no doubt Sims 4 will fund Sims 5, so it's a good thing that it is successful. Without that funding, the Sims franchise would end. Does anyone really want that? I know people are excited for Paralives, and I hope it turns out to be a good contender for life simulation games, but it's way too early to say if that will be true. I'm not making any premature predictions until I see some actual gameplay. Making a good build simulator is one thing, but making a good build simulator that can also encompass life simulation gameplay without routing errors and be comparable to The Sims? That is a very ambitious endeavor. I wish him the best and I look forward to finding out more.

Regarding your estimate that sims 4 has made only 6-8% of the entire franchise's profits...I'm sorry, but you are mistaken. It seems you got those numbers from the estimated $300-$400 million earnings, so I can see why you came to that conclusion. From my understanding, that estimate is only for one fiscal year of performance. $400 million is almost half a billion dollars. In one single year. In five years' time, the Sims 4 has already passed the billion dollar mark, as of, if I recall correctly, last year's report. I remember a thread was made with the link and a discussion followed. So according to those numbers, Sims 4 is actually responsible for more than 20% of the revenue for the franchise. So, again, this is a good thing for a future Sims 5. I don't know why this would upset some people, especially those who are eager for a new iteration.

Anyway, I look forward to reading the end of year report to get a better idea of the actual numbers for how Sims 4 performed this year.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Sims 4 is actually responsible for more than 20% of the revenue for the franchise.

TS4 actually accounts for about 25% of the franchise's total revenue. TS4 passed $1 billion in Q3 FY2019 and the franchise passed $5 billion in Q2 FY2020 (i.e. 3 quarters later). Since we know the projected revenue for TS4 in one year is $300-400 million, we can estimate that TS4 is roughly at $1.25 billion at the end of Q2 FY2020 which means it's 25%.

25% would be average if the The Sims franchise only had the 4 main games. However, there have been dozens of spin-off games, console games, and mobile games like Bustin' Out, The Urbz, The Sims Online, Life Stories, Pet Stories, Castaway Stories, The Sims Medieval, The Sims Social, The Sims FreePlay, The Sims Mobile, as well as many other games with the same title as the PC game, but are clearly a different game altogether (The Sims 3: Ambitions on mobile for example). With this in mind, you can clearly see why TS4 at 25% is enough for it to be the best selling & most successful Sims game to date, just as SimGuruDuke claimed.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Options
    Sims 4 is actually responsible for more than 20% of the revenue for the franchise.

TS4 actually accounts for about 25% of the franchise's total revenue. TS4 passed $1 billion in Q3 FY2019 and the franchise passed $5 billion in Q2 FY2020 (i.e. 3 quarters later). Since we know the projected revenue for TS4 in one year is $300-400 million, we can estimate that TS4 is roughly at $1.25 billion at the end of Q2 FY2020 which means it's 25%.

25% would be average if the The Sims franchise only had the 4 main games. However, there have been dozens of spin-off games, console games, and mobile games like Bustin' Out, The Urbz, The Sims Online, Life Stories, Pet Stories, Castaway Stories, The Sims Medieval, The Sims Social, The Sims FreePlay, The Sims Mobile, as well as many other games with the same title as the PC game, but are clearly a different game altogether (The Sims 3: Ambitions on mobile for example). With this in mind, you can clearly see why TS4 at 25% is enough for it to be the best selling & most successful Sims game to date, just as SimGuruDuke claimed.
    Thanks for calculating it. Always interesting to see how the numbers work out. :)
  • Options

Okay, that's more around what I was thinking. (I had originally typed 25% and changed it.) I was underestimating to avoid bloating the numbers (or being accused of doing so) because I couldn't remember exactly what last year's report had given for figures. I only remember it being over a billion.

Thanks for clarifying! :smile:
    #Team Occult