Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Drama of the week! Do you agree with the stopEAabuse hashtag?

15678911...Next

Comments

• Options
    MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    I think it is totally unnecessary
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    It’s not visually stunning at all.

It is to some people, myself included. It's an opinion, not a universal fact.

*All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited October 2019
    MissyHissy wrote: »
    It’s not visually stunning at all.

It is to some people, myself included. It's an opinion, not a universal fact.
    I was responding to this statement:

“The Sims 4 is visually stunning; we’ve lost the gameplay and soul of the game as a sacrifice.”

That doesn’t read like an opinion to me, it’s a statement, presented like a universal fact, used actually as an explanation why gameplay had to be sacrificed. And it’s not. Sims 4 does have some eye catching qualities for sure, but in some fields it looks really very poor. The game simply doesn’t deserve this qualification. When someone says Detroit Become Human or Red Dead Redemption 2 look stunning, there simply is no denying. And guess what, gameplay didn’t even have to suffer.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    thecatsredthecatsred Posts: 327 Member
    I think it will not change anything at all
    When someone says Detroit Become Human or Red Dead Redemption 2 look stunning, there simply is no denying. And guess what, gameplay didn’t even have to suffer.

While those games are much more graphically advanced than sims, try to imagine Sims in that style and then imagine them doing something, sim-like ... ie, falling on the floor when passing out, or standing awkwardly at the sink in frustration when something is slightly clipping into the counter and preventing them from finishing a task, or when they fail to route somewhere correctly and flail their arms around.

That would go straight into uncanny valley territory FAST. I also think there'd be a lot of customization options removed to compensate for the high levels of detail in each sim as well.

Sims 3 was starting to get into that valley in some ways, and personally I'm glad they doubled back and went with the 'clay' look of sims and the environment because they have a recognizable sims "style" that's more than just "realistic".
  • Options
    thecatsred wrote: »
    When someone says Detroit Become Human or Red Dead Redemption 2 look stunning, there simply is no denying. And guess what, gameplay didn’t even have to suffer.

While those games are much more graphically advanced than sims, try to imagine Sims in that style and then imagine them doing something, sim-like ... ie, falling on the floor when passing out, or standing awkwardly at the sink in frustration when something is slightly clipping into the counter and preventing them from finishing a task, or when they fail to route somewhere correctly and flail their arms around.

That would go straight into uncanny valley territory FAST. I also think there'd be a lot of customization options removed to compensate for the high levels of detail in each sim as well.

Sims 3 was starting to get into that valley in some ways, and personally I'm glad they doubled back and went with the 'clay' look of sims and the environment because they have a recognizable sims "style" that's more than just "realistic".
    I agree Sims is better off with a more stylized art style, I don’t agree Sims 3 is anywhere near uncanny valley though. The game simply is not realistic enough for that, especially vanilla. Actually Sims 2 beats Sims 3 where it comes to realism, looking at for example rocks, or food.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    GodleyjeansGodleyjeans Posts: 336 Member
    I agree and support the idea
    I agree with it, but then at the same time memory of the person who was going to take them to trading standards comes to mind.

For personal reasons they chose not to, but that movement is what I believe we are better off doing.

No hashtags or fighting each other in the threads, simply take EA to trading standards or whoever deals with non fit for purpose products and see what they can do. There is evidence with all of the sims 4 content that shows the game is not finished or fit for release, so use it to hopefully get something done.

But that’s just me.
  • Options
    MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    I think it is totally unnecessary
    That doesn’t read like an opinion to me, it’s a statement, presented like a universal fact, used actually as an explanation why gameplay had to be sacrificed.

How can it be a factual statement when not everybody believes this to be the case?
    We've all got our opinions. With things like this, there is no universal fact. The game is bad for some people, brilliant for others. The fact is this is a subjective matter.

If the game crashed for every single person the moment they launched it, it'd be bad. Because the game doesn't feature everything you want or look the way you want it to look, it's being labelled as a 'bad game'. It's only bad in the eye of the beholder. What are bad or poorly implemented features to you aren't to me, for example. That doesn't make your opinion fact and mine not; similarly, it doesn't make my opinion fact and yours not. They're opinions.

The game is ideal exactly the way it is.

Now, the above could be taken as a statement, couldn't it? And I don't need to tell you what would happen if somebody actually presented that as a universal fact.

They'd be told they're wrong. They'd be told they're being abused or manipulated or controlled by EA. They'd be told they should go a play the older generations of the game in order to compare.

Maybe though, some people are playing the game without making comparisons. Maybe some people didn't like the way things were done in the last three generations of the game. Maybe some people think the game is perfect as it is. Guess what - they're not wrong, are they? It might be perfect to them. It certainly is to me.
    ... used actually as an explanation why gameplay had to be sacrificed.

Another opinion, which I don't share. It's not a universal fact, it's an opinion. It's neither right nor wrong. It is what it is. You're not wrong to dislike the game as much as you do. I'm not wrong to like it the way I do.

Expressing that opinion as a 'universal fact'? That's not right. These forums are for expressing opinions, which incidentally is what this thread was about, too. Opinions. Not presenting them as facts and implying that anyone who disagrees is wrong.
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I like #EAlisten more than #stopEAabuse
    That doesn’t read like an opinion to me, it’s a statement, presented like a universal fact, used actually as an explanation why gameplay had to be sacrificed.

How can it be a factual statement when not everybody believes this to be the case?
    We've all got our opinions. With things like this, there is no universal fact. The game is bad for some people, brilliant for others. The fact is this is a subjective matter.

If the game crashed for every single person the moment they launched it, it'd be bad. Because the game doesn't feature everything you want or look the way you want it to look, it's being labelled as a 'bad game'. It's only bad in the eye of the beholder. What are bad or poorly implemented features to you aren't to me, for example. That doesn't make your opinion fact and mine not; similarly, it doesn't make my opinion fact and yours not. They're opinions.

Now, the above could be taken as a statement, couldn't it? And I don't need to tell you what would happen if somebody actually presented that as a universal fact.

They'd be told they're wrong. They'd be told they're being abused or manipulated or controlled by EA. They'd be told they should go a play the older generations of the game in order to compare.

Maybe though, some people are playing the game without making comparisons. Maybe some people didn't like the way things were done in the last three generations of the game. Maybe some people think the game is perfect as it is. Guess what - they're not wrong, are they? It might be perfect to them. It certainly is to me.

Another opinion, which I don't share. It's not a universal fact, it's an opinion. It's neither right nor wrong. It is what it is. You're not wrong to dislike the game as much as you do. I'm not wrong to like it the way I do.

Expressing that opinion as a 'universal fact'? That's not right. These forums are for expressing opinions, which incidentally is what this thread was about, too. Opinions. Not presenting them as facts and implying that anyone who disagrees is wrong.
    I think you just summed up divisions of the Sims community perfectly and what I have been trying my best explaining for years. There really isn't a right or wrong about any of the Sims games and I do agree about it being bad or good or somewhere in between on the eye on the beholder. I know I have Sims experiences completely different from other Simmers and play very differently too. We all just share opinions, none or right or wrong, just subjective. Thankfully within some of those opinions you can find diamonds in the rough and have interesting ideas sprung out of nowhere for the Sims games. I'm stuck in the middle and can get quite tiresome getting attacked on both sides for having a different opinion in either direction. What I do know is the Sims is bigger than ourselves and the statement I keep hearing within the community "you can't please anyone" is making a lot of Simmers unhappy. It stems from the generalization, "Millennials are the most highly educated and culturally diverse group of all generations, and have been regarded as hard to please when it comes to employers." What is the point of the Sims if it doesn't please some? It should and I know not every pack is going to be someone's cup of tea, but just seeing the Sims games please a Simmer at least once is a victory. If we are going to combat the assumption that every person in Generation Y and X is a Generation Me, we have to look at the bigger picture and thank you for doing that.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    edited October 2019

I said Sims 4 doesn’t look stunning, certainly not stunning enough to explain any gameplay sacrifices. I never said anything about disliking the game, you’re putting words into my mouth.

Also, if someone says the game is ideal the way it is, that indeed is incorrect, that’s not a statement one can make in general. One can say “it’s perfect to me”. That’s fine, Nobody will try and argue that. So I don’t quite understand what you’re trying to say there. One doesn’t have to repeat “I think”, “I feel” or “this is my opinion” all the time. But when I say “Sims 3 is the absolute pinnacle in this franchise, it blows all the other versions out of the water”, that would most definitely sound way too factual and generalizing. It would also be utter nonsense. Sims 3 is my favourite version for various reasons that only tell us something about my playing style and preferences. And it’s not a perfect game, lord how much better it could and should have been.

Now, suppose I do say this: “Sims 3 is a perfect game”, then, indeed, I’ll have to accept this is a forum where people will immediately jump in to counterpose and argue with me why it’s not. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. If you make a quality statement (‘looks stunning’, ‘is perfect’) you’ll have to be prepared other simmers will place their own opinions against that. Giving an opinion doesn’t mean others need to shut up.

5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    PurpleSweetTartPurpleSweetTart Posts: 167 Member
    @nightowl1 Here is a giant hug for you. You've said everything I have been thinking and/or trying to explain. Thank you so much for sharing, and articulating my points of view. We're missing a lot that we should, have that would be easier to implement because they've done it before. I miss cars and bikes. I'd rather have prank calls instead texts saying, "Hey, I heard you became friends with [Insert Sim Name] he/she is pretty cool." I don't gripe much about gameplay. I'm more concerned with their refusal to listen to their fanbase. These packs are overpriced for what we get and we keep sharing our views and ideas and they just keep making the game the want to make/their bosses told them to make. Also, we tell them there are major bugs, (Not just the whole MacOS Catalina fiasco) but that the whim system dies after traveling from lot to lot and they ignore that and release patches that allow a door to be locked when facing a certain way. They don't fix it, they just give us the option to shut whims off. That is a major game mechanic. Whims and aspirations are basically the entire premise of the game because they are the result of the emotion system. I feel that that makes the entire emotion system pointless. If you take out the emotion system, CAS and build mode are the major changes to the Sims 4. (Again, this is an opinion.) They might not be able to please us all but they can at least hear our ideas and think about them very hard before they decide that what we suggest can't or shouldn't be done.

The chief thing I would like to see in game is disabled sims/injured sims because I am disabled, and we have an active hospital career that can enhance and justify such a feature/change. I could go on, I won't right now. Anyway, thanks ever so much for your voice and passion for the game. I love this game too and want it to be all that it can and should be.

nightowl1 wrote: »
    Most games go forwards with their sequels while EA takes two steps backwards, we haven't progressed and it is more than evident. Just because a person has a preference over a game, whether that's for the mods or how clean the graphics look, there is still a big downgrade from gameplay. You may still enjoy it, but that doesn't stop the fact that the Sims 4 is an entire downgrade and would've been better recieved as a spin-off from the series. It's own game, if you will. But nope, as part of the series it should've improved.

We have gone from having babies in cribs (Sims 1) to babies freed and then placed back into cribs once the Sims 4 came along. That is just a simple way to put it, and I don't like to have my emotions get in the way. It's just logic. You see what is happening and choose to ignore it to benefit your own emotions. I don't feel there is anything that is going to be lost by accepting how pathetic this is, for EA to cut down on content, to include missing content in other packs, to cut down on sims personality and leave them bland and boring.

Accepting this would not bring anything bad to you, in fact it would help show EA how much we care about this game, that they cannot keep playing these games. Any other game company who played this game would've already recieved massive criticism from the fanbase, but for some reason we are the special ones over here, who quietly accept what is going on as the guilt we feel for having feedback over something we spent hundreds of pounds on going to waste.

If it was a free game and EA personally released this for free, then we wouldn't be right to criticise. It would have been something to appreciate, to be grateful for, and those who would've criticised would be entitled since they did it for us personally. Like a heart-warming gift or just something to make our lives that much brighter. But it wasn't, this is a multi-million games company who are known to turn good things bad. Fifa, Sim City... we've seen it. Once Skylines came out you saw those people flock over. You tell me, in all honesty that if someone produced a version of the Sims with the things we are lacking in this version, with updated graphics, that could run happily on your computer without lag, that you wouldn't take it.

Because I am sure, most would. It would make us all happy. Now, I hear this arguement a lot. "EA can't make you all happy! That's too much of a demand" - yes, I agree. If things weren't left out and we continued to nit-pick at what wasn't released as a game pack, if we started to spew out our own ideas and feel upset for not having control over the Sims developers, then yes it would be right to say "you can't make everyone happy, so just accept what you've got".

But the difference is, we are asking for what they cut out of the game. Things that should've been achieveable. No, not open world as I know that's too much to ask and would require an entire rewrite of the codes and everything - it is not managable as this game would've originally been released as another version of 'Sims Social'. So I understand this, but for simple things like adding more traits, trying to make the sims behave more unique from each other, even at least attempting it. Freeing the babies from those cribs. Adding more things for children within new GP/EPs. Just basic things, more basic than open-world. They've still got time. They've still got money, we keep paying them. So instead of sitting around and being grateful, we should be allowed to be critical. Even for those who love the game, you can't pretend these things aren't real.

If you brought a faulty product, would you keep your mouth closed because the manufacturer worked so hard on creating that product for you? Whoever left negative feedback on that product, would you tell them that they can't please everyone and should at least keep quiet so those who loved the product and found no faults could continue to enjoy that product without feeling "threatened"?

Okay, this is a lot of rambling. I'm suprised I came out with this much, but this is why I agree with the movement and think it is a splendid idea.

• Options

The chief thing I would like to see in game is disabled sims/injured sims because I am disabled, and we have an active hospital career that can enhance and justify such a feature/change. I could go on, I won't right now. Anyway, thanks ever so much for your voice and passion for the game. I love this game too and want it to be all that it can and should be.

I am disabled too. Did you see the new uni trailer yet? It had a girl with a robotic arm at about 38 seconds into it. I'm like yes. Actually cool how the movie and comic Alita inspired companies to create prosthesis for people who are missing parts of their limbs. I actually hoping for a superhero pack to represent people more like having a rocket wheelchairs, x-ray vision, sonic hearing, and canes that kind of act like the screwdriver from Doctor Who with multiple benefits.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    I haven't seen the trailer but if we're getting robotic arms, it's most likely that the sim has a tech major or something. I at least want manual and power wheelchairs, blind canes, the ability for dogs to train as guide dogs, like a career or aspiration for them. as well as blind and deaf traits. Perhaps if they were feeling really generous and ambitious, they could give us a Simlish Sign Language too. Also, the ability to wear braces on your feet and be able to have swatches for them. My braces are purple and have butterflies on them but I know people who have black ones with skulls on them. The color swatches for wheelchairs could get crazy too. And different walkers and canes would be nice. Oh, almost forgot, working elevators because some people can't use stairs...we've had that before, we should have it back.
  • Options
    I also confess I have never seen Dr, Who, although all of my friends have encouraged me to start watching. I'm a Star Wars/Star Trek person. I want to see Alita: Battle Angel so badly, I haven't yet.
  • Options
    I haven't seen the trailer but if we're getting robotic arms, it's most likely that the sim has a tech major or something. I at least want manual and power wheelchairs, blind canes, the ability for dogs to train as guide dogs, like a career or aspiration for them. as well as blind and deaf traits. Perhaps if they were feeling really generous and ambitious, they could give us a Simlish Sign Language too. Also, the ability to wear braces on your feet and be able to have swatches for them. My braces are purple and have butterflies on them but I know people who have black ones with skulls on them. The color swatches for wheelchairs could get crazy too. And different walkers and canes would be nice. Oh, almost forgot, working elevators because some people can't use stairs...we've had that before, we should have it back.
    I love those ideas. A Simlish sign language would be really cool to see. I have boring black braces but yours sound really pretty.

Yeah Doctor Who. I wasn't walking for like three weeks, so I binge watched five seasons of Doctor Who. I love Star Trek and Star Wars too. I really would recommend seeing the show. It is like a space Sherlock Holmes. The latest Doctor is the first female Doctor Who too and she is really good and was in a show called Broadchurch with one of the actors that played Doctor Who David Tennant. The show itself started November 23, 1963 and sadly it is really hard to get all the episodes since then especially if you don't live in Britain. Starting from the 9th Doctor wouldn't be a bad idea to get into the show and then you can always go back and watch the older episodes. It's a sci-fi show that has been around awhile and still has fans from multiple generations.
  • Options
    I just watched the university trailer and I like it. I feel that's it's kind of like Get Together though with more of the same school game mechanic that they already have. Well, at least that's my fear of why it might be just okay. If we had more expensive and cool objects to buy in our games, we'd want to go to the university to get the career head starts but it's not that difficult to get to the top of your career or max out your skills anyway, so is the whole point of the pack just to be able to play juice pong and woohoo in the shower? Or do you thing going to University has a bigger effect on other parts of gameplay? Maybe the trailer just didn't show more aspects, or were my my expectations too high?
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    I’ve always disliked the social groups system in Sims 3’s university, because it didn’t do much other than giving you the option to choose and extra trait (I think; I so dislike it that I’ve never really explored it or remember the affects really when my vampire born sim (who learned things on ultra speed) reached the highest level in all groups). For Sims 4 however, thanks to the club system, it could add actual gameplay. Hope it will. Not impressed by the trailer so far but I have been in the past and that turned out to be a disappointment. Who knows it’s the other way around now, which would be better.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    EliteGirlEliteGirl Posts: 537 Member
    edited November 2019
    I understand but I will not take part
    I agree with you, Scobre and ShockJupiter on having Sims with disabilities. It would make the game more realistic. But to have disabled sims as superheros would be really cool! I like the sound of superpowers such as healing, x-ray vision, super speed, Time Travel (such as the 60's, the 90's and the 80's), and more. There aren't enough disabled characters, unless you count Daredevil, Charles Xavier, and Rogue.
  • Options
    CemirrorCemirror Posts: 61 Member
    I think it will not change anything at all
    Yes, abuse is a bit much, but even as a new player who sees SO much potential in this game, it's really jarring to realize that a TON of the game is a repeat of the games beforehand and that those games had even more in them. Not to mention this game has been around for five years! I can definitely feel how upset the community is getting. No one wants to feel taken advantage of, and it's hard not to feel that way when you can sense yourself being 🐸🐸🐸🐸 on each pack that has less than the corresponding pack from the previous game.
  • Options
    Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    edited December 2019
    Cemirror wrote: »
    Yes, abuse is a bit much, but even as a new player who sees SO much potential in this game, it's really jarring to realize that a TON of the game is a repeat of the games beforehand and that those games had even more in them. Not to mention this game has been around for five years! I can definitely feel how upset the community is getting. No one wants to feel taken advantage of, and it's hard not to feel that way when you can sense yourself being plum on each pack that has less than the corresponding pack from the previous game.

As a fan since The Sims 1 its really upsetting to me and I ended up in a state that I felt tired of trying to force myself to accept a game that now I found totally unacceptable! Specially when this franchise is so unique on the game industry, making trillions of dollars in this two decades and as an old fan I wonder if our money was well invested in the game. The Sims 4 came as flat, uninteresting with little to offer. Easier tools and debatable better graphics don't justify a new entire game in my opinion. I can safely say we all expected The Sims 4 to massively improve on The Sims 3 (that wasn't perfect but it is technically superior) and making it also innovative so I would feel like my loyalty to this franchise was well rewarded!
    It was hard to realize because in the beginning I was kind in denial and always trying to find something positive and building hope on something that I found later it wasn't worth it and it felt like a waste of time. It is like an abusive relationship and in the end I feel betrayed and sad, sometimes translated in a bit of anger. The Sims 4 was and stills a huge disappointment and comparing to any other past version feels unfair and kinda offensive to me now because even with its all limitations, the love I feel for The Sims 1 aswell to the others, its something I will never feel about The Sims 4 and I think its easy to understand that as a huge fan of this franchise that ends up being really frustrating! And for someone who saw another franchise that I loved, SimCity, being totally killed by the same owners, that made fear and feel even more reticent.
    In the end of the day The Sims 4 existence after 5 years ended up being not only disappointing but also totally pointless to me.
    And I feel sorry for new players! For you The Sims 4 must be awsome and a lot of you don't understand the backlash but Im tremendously sorry for the fact that some of you will never know how incredibly this game was because from my long time experience The Sims 4 doesn't portray half of the awesomeness this franchise used to be and that is a result of a divided sims community.

Anyway I think its time to move on. And now off topic I want to wish a Merry Christmas to everyone and also an Happy New Year!
  • Options
    budget_zendayabudget_zendaya Posts: 42 Member
    > @Sk8rblaze said:
    > I think it's extremely dramatic to call it abuse, but I do support the fact people aren't just blindly buying packs anymore and expecting better quality from EA. They are better than what they've been pushing out, and we deserve better than what they've been pushing out.

Totally agree. I think "abuse" is the wrong word to describe it, and honestly if the twitter user who started the hashtag speaks english as a second language, that's totally understandable as a mixup. However, I absolutely agree that we as players should be vocal when we don't like a pack or think it was poorly done. The Sims 4 is a very expensive game and fans have every right to be upset when the product they are paying for us clearly lackluster and could be improved. I certainly don't think fans should harass the gurus on twitter, but they have every right to ask questions of them and critique their work when it's sloppy. It's their job to make this game, and if they're doing their job poorly and making fans pay for content that isn't finished/tested properly/etc, they should expect backlash.
  • Options
    ravynwolvfravynwolvf Posts: 1,073 Member
    edited December 2019
    I can't vote, because you lumped stupid and offensive in one choice. It isn't necessarily both to people. And honestly, if you're offended by the use of the word abuse in this context, you really need a sense of proportion, considering the world we live in right now.

Besides, isn't it more self abuse if we choose to keep buying packs? I blame EA for not making software that lived up to past sims standards, but I'm the only one to blame for continuing to buy it (which I wouldn't, if I hadn't gotten fairly good at modding it to work closer to the way I want to).

...and if I had noticed how old this thread was, I wouldn't have helped dredge it back up.
  • Options
    shorty943pshorty943p Posts: 255 Member
    I disagree strongly with the term abuse for a start.
    Surely we the paying customer have right to expect at least bug free code updates from this corporation.
    That could be construed as abuse of consumers rights by EA, at least under my countries Consumer Laws, as for the EULA that is a perversity of a whole new level. EA STOP abusing you customers.
    Microsoft learned a tough lesson about anti trust that you had better take notice of.