Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Drama of the week! Do you agree with the stopEAabuse hashtag?

Comments

• Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited October 2019
    I think it is totally unnecessary
    Scobre wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Oh I agree, I was referring to little kids.Teens can have third freedom.
    I think that is why people question if Sims 4 target market are teens or children? Children need to be told how to handle their money because they can't earn it themselves or understand the concept of money management. Sims 4 is supposed to be rated teen and honestly with all the plum drama this year I don't think having the game target little kids is a good choice. Money isn't a problem with me either and I handle all my finances myself with bookkeeping and taxes. I think there are many reasons for people to support the EA listen hashtag beyond just the Sims franchise. Loot boxes towards kids with some of the other games are a huge cause for concern. I just know when I have kids and they want DLC or loot boxes they are going to work for them like I did. I appreciate that my sister is teaching that with my nephew now after the MLP incident. He works hard for his games and going to prepare him for when he is old enough to play Sims this year. I got him the Sims 4 when it was free this year.

No matter who the game is targeted for - at least here in the USA you have to be 18 and older to buy the game etc at Origin. It is not that waY in all countries I know and EA has to follow the laws of the countries - I heard the UK lets younger people buy - even though I am not sure about that it is still up to the countries what is allowed and what isn't. In the USA though buying takes an 18 year old or older. 18 in the USA is not a child. They are considered an adult except for I believe tobacco and alcohol - those two I believe you have to be 21. (I am not sure as i do not smoke or drink alcohol)
    Oh as far as Origin yes, but I was referring to the game rating. True with their rated E games too. Thing is Sims 4 is supposed to be rated Teen and with how safe they are developing it, falls under the E for everyone for nearly all games. At least in the USA, what has been allowed in gaming has gotten a bit less strict over the years. I guess Indie games are just more daring than just playing it safe for the millennials with their "triggers" and "need for a safe space". Sims is the only franchise that is play it super safe with their games when even common things like pronouns and cultural items are considered "controversial" when they are discussed. I have no problem discussing things like that with you because I know you are mature enough to handle it, but just gets tiring coming up with new ideas with Simmers whenever any new idea is discussed it is a trigger and although they want the Sims 4 to be a new game, nothing really new is discussed and with the development over the past years it has remained selling the same content over and over again not even revamping new themes to something new. I was really hoping with the new head of Maxis there would be, but I have yet to see the best of old and new come together for something different and unique.

I think that is because of marketing. They tend to say no to a lot of ideas - which seems to override anyone on the Sims teams. The trouble when a company becomes a public company.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I like #EAlisten more than #stopEAabuse

I think that is because of marketing. They tend to say no to a lot of ideas - which seems to override anyone on the Sims teams. The trouble when a company becomes a public company.
    Yeah I hate that. Just gets sad when I see Mattel come up with more daring ideas than the Sims these days and those are targeted towards little girls. I just wish they didn't play so safe. I did like how Witches are the first supernatural to have a negative to balance out the positive with their magic. Makes them more interesting to play with and makes me think harder. I think even with vampires they played it too safe and with aliens too. I just hope with future occults like werewolves they don't make them act like cute puppy dogs, but more true to the lore of werewolves.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    I think it is totally unnecessary

Yeah I hate that. Just gets sad when I see Mattel come up with more daring ideas than the Sims these days and those are targeted towards little girls. I just wish they didn't play so safe. I did like how Witches are the first supernatural to have a negative to balance out the positive with their magic. Makes them more interesting to play with and makes me think harder. I think even with vampires they played it too safe and with aliens too. I just hope with future occults like werewolves they don't make them act like cute puppy dogs, but more true to the lore of werewolves.

I really liked the Sims 2 werewolves the most because they started as Dire wolves. I hope they revisit those.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

edited October 2019
    I really liked the Sims 2 werewolves the most because they started as Dire wolves. I hope they revisit those.
    I do too. I didn't care for the Twilight ones. The alpha wolf was cool too. The ones from the Originals show were actually quite interesting and reminded me of the lore of them.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

Oh I agree, I was referring to little kids.Teens can have third freedom.
    I think that is why people question if Sims 4 target market are teens or children? Children need to be told how to handle their money because they can't earn it themselves or understand the concept of money management. Sims 4 is supposed to be rated teen and honestly with all the plum drama this year I don't think having the game target little kids is a good choice. Money isn't a problem with me either and I handle all my finances myself with bookkeeping and taxes. I think there are many reasons for people to support the EA listen hashtag beyond just the Sims franchise. Loot boxes towards kids with some of the other games are a huge cause for concern. I just know when I have kids and they want DLC or loot boxes they are going to work for them like I did. I appreciate that my sister is teaching that with my nephew now after the MLP incident. He works hard for his games and going to prepare him for when he is old enough to play Sims this year. I got him the Sims 4 when it was free this year.

No matter who the game is targeted for - at least here in the USA you have to be 18 and older to buy the game etc at Origin. It is not that waY in all countries I know and EA has to follow the laws of the countries - I heard the UK lets younger people buy - even though I am not sure about that it is still up to the countries what is allowed and what isn't. In the USA though buying takes an 18 year old or older. 18 in the USA is not a child. They are considered an adult except for I believe tobacco and alcohol - those two I believe you have to be 21. (I am not sure as i do not smoke or drink alcohol)

I was curious about this, so I looked into it. It's 13.

As far as their legal descriptions go, it seems if you are old enough to register and maintain an EA account, you are old enough to make purchases using it, as well.

Australia, Canada, India, Singapore, South Africa, and the USA all share the 13 age minimum requirement.

Not quite true. Children under the required age (which does vary in Europe because of GDPR) can create an EA account but aren't able to make purchases or access any other online features. And creating an account (even adult, I believe) doesn't require registering a credit card or PayPal or anything like that. I think in some countries (not everywhere though).
    "child accounts are also unable to have Origin Access memberships or use EA Cash Cards."

Teen accounts have the option of registering a payment method for purchases/Access/etc, but the age must be verified (and the teen must have access to said payment method, which in most cases is a parent's since under-18s usually aren't legally allowed to have bank cards with online payment functions or Paypal).

I'm referring to the USA.

My apologies, I just went digging into credit cards etc for under-18s in the US. Seems like those rules are a bunch more lax than in Europe.

Point about child accounts still stands: under-13s are able to create an account but aren't able to make purchases or access the store at all. That is the part of your post that I was referring to. (fwiw, the child accounts can only be controlled by a parent directly, there's no "parental control" system in place like to change settings from the adult account. So essentially, the child is maintaining their account, which is heavily limited.)
  • XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    edited October 2019
    I think there are better solutions (tell in comments)
    No. I find it pointless and helps nobody. I avoid this stuff anyways. I didn't like Sims 3; but didn't start a movement against it and know it won't give me the change that I wanted.

Not getting what you want is not abuse and kind of insulting to claim abuse. I think it would be more productive for everyone to have civilized discussions and try communicating what they want or what can be improved on and fixed with sims gurus or EA. If more people due that, maybe we would get what we want (to be fair, we all want different things and they can't please everyone). Positivity is always better than negativity and people would be more willing to listen.

I honestly stop listening to negativity if it not constructive personally, so that is never the way to go in my opinion. Also less people support the game, the less I would get what I want and yes, I would be really angry if this ends up being the reason to not have a complete series or big changing I been hoping for years. At least wait until I get my story progression and all that.
    edited October 2019
    XxAirixX wrote: »
    No. I find it pointless and helps nobody. I avoid this stuff anyways. I didn't like Sims 3; but didn't start a movement against it and know it won't give me the change that I wanted.

Not getting what you want is not abuse and kind of insulting to claim abuse. I think it would be more productive for everyone to have civilized discussions and try communicating what they want or what can be improved on and fixed with sims gurus or EA. If more people due that, maybe we would get what we want (to be fair, we all want different things and they can't please everyone). Positivity is always better than negativity and people would be more willing to listen.

I honestly stop listening to negativity if it not constructive personally, so that is never the way to go in my opinion. Also less people support the game, the less I would get what I want and yes, I would be really angry if this ends up being the reason to not have a complete series or big changing I been hoping for years. At least wait until I get my story progression and all that.
    Really nice comment. True can't please everyone, but doesn't hurt to have more people support the game so that you can get what you want and have the game continue. I think that is what I'm worried about too is the history of the Sims 3 repeating itself with the Sims 4. In life I've learned to take the positive with the negative, but I agree constructive criticism is more effective in getting what we want with the franchise. Gurus aren't going to listen to any of us if we are negative to each other. :) But I liked your comment, it was intelligent and sounded like how a business person thinks especially with the less people supporting the game part. Always good to have more demand for a game. Also I didn't like the term EA Abuse either, thus why I voted that way.
  • Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    edited October 2019
    Evil_One wrote: »
    Uzone27 wrote: »
    It takes a movement to try and convince people if they don't like something they shouldn't buy it?
    Unbelievable. :/

Same with gambling addicts, companies (the bad ones) thrive on exploiting the brain's psychological investment/reward system in order to get people to keep buying stuff, be it games or 'surprise mechanics'.

What you're implying is that the law of supply and demand doesn't apply here because the Sims is addictive.
    That people are buying the product in spite of themselves and it's up to Simmers with savvy and will power to help them stop.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited October 2019
    XxAirixX wrote: »

I’m glad some people did. Because it triggered EA into adding some changes I’m grateful for to this day. Why do people insist on this strange straw man this hashtag is about Sims 4? It’s about EA and the Sims franchise in general. Yes, the problem started with Sims 3. It’s not about liking a game, it’s much broader than that.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • PurpleSweetTartPurpleSweetTart Posts: 167 Member
    I agree and support the idea
    It's abuse because they are unfinished, overpriced, overhyped and disappointing. We made them famous and rich by buying games that were fun to play and they reward us by giving us content without fixing what we've asked them to fix repeatedly, from bugs to broken whim systems. They don't give a crap about the playerbase and the only people they pay attention to are famous Twitch streamers, YouTubers and "Game Changers:. (I have Twitch streaming friends) but it's basically free advertising and hype for EA. It's like advertising the latest model of a car, and then giving us a car that has been pieced together with rusted, spare parts from a junkyard. Would you like it if you shelled out money for a new car and that's what you got. You'd make complaints, tell your friends not to buy from that dealer and fight for your money back. Instead of fighting for our money back, we're going to respond by no longer giving them our money. They can't make new content without money. When they fix things that are already broken, they can have my money. Until then, we can and should speak up for ourselves and not give them what they want and need most, our hard earned money.
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    edited October 2019
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Why do people insist on this strange straw man this hashtag is about Sims 4? It’s about EA and the Sims franchise in general. Yes, the problem started with Sims 3. It’s not about liking a game, it’s much broader than that.

No.. it's about TS4. Whoever started it is specifically referencing TS4 and future products, not past ones (see original post.)

Would the whole thing sound deeper, more meaningful, and more impactful if it were talking about the series as a whole? Sure. But it doesn't really work that way; where you can just take your own thoughts and apply them to someone else's "movement" to improve it.

So, it's not really a "strange straw man" for people to respond to what the creator of the hashtag has plainly written.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
    edited October 2019
    Cupid wrote: »
    Why do people insist on this strange straw man this hashtag is about Sims 4? It’s about EA and the Sims franchise in general. Yes, the problem started with Sims 3. It’s not about liking a game, it’s much broader than that.

No.. it's about TS4. Whoever started it is specifically referencing TS4 and future products, not past ones (see original post.)

Would the whole thing sound deeper, more meaningful, and more impactful if it were talking about the series as a whole? Sure. But it doesn't really work that way; where you can just take your own thoughts and apply them to someone else's "movement" to improve it.

So, it's not really a "strange straw man" for people to respond to what the creator of the hashtag has plainly written.
    You’re right (reread it). But what the hashtag isn’t about, is liking or not liking the game. You can perfectly like Sims 4 and still agree with what the hashtag stands for. So that part of my post still stands. “But I happen to like Sims 4 and I didn’t like Sims 3 and never complained” simply isn’t what this is about.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    So that part of my post still stands. “But I happen to like Sims 4 and I didn’t like Sims 3 and never complained” simply isn’t what this is about.

I agree with that completely,
    I was only responding to the particular part that I quoted :D
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
    Cupid wrote: »
    So that part of my post still stands. “But I happen to like Sims 4 and I didn’t like Sims 3 and never complained” simply isn’t what this is about.

I agree with that completely,
    I was only responding to the particular part that I quoted :D
    Yes, you were correct about that.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I think a hashtag for speaking up is totally necessary at this point and I applaud this! #EAListen may very well be a better one, I could go either way.
    As for not buying the skimpy packs, I have been on board with this since Island Living, and took huge breaks during the whole series while PATIENTLY waiting for them to get their stuff together. It’s been one disappointment after another.
  • TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member
    edited October 2019

And also, a lot of players have said and implied that they just can't stop buying, even though they hate the way things are going because maybe it'll get better, they have to complete the collection, they love the gurus and don't want them out of a job, we won't get The Sims 5 if The Sims 4 isn't successful.

remember that individual who pressured players to buy this low quality product and said they wouldn't be making TS5 unless TS4 makes the money moves. the was the greatest abuse of authority i've encountered in my life.
    y'all got bread?

And also, a lot of players have said and implied that they just can't stop buying, even though they hate the way things are going because maybe it'll get better, they have to complete the collection, they love the gurus and don't want them out of a job, we won't get The Sims 5 if The Sims 4 isn't successful.

remember that individual who pressured players to buy this low quality product and said they wouldn't be making TS5 unless TS4 makes the money moves. the was the greatest abuse of authority i've encountered in my life.

Why should we let them make 5 when they can't get 4 right? If they really want to make 5, they could ask to borrow money from the FIFA team, they're rolling in it.
  • AlexSimmermanAlexSimmerman Posts: 80 Member
    I agree, although The Sims 4 is visually stunning; we’ve lost the gameplay and soul of the game as a sacrifice. Sims feel very shallow and generic and the gameplay is extremely dull, limited.
    Even if we had more aspiration choices or the option NOT to have an aspiration, and change the whim and reward system, even if we never get complete MacOS Catalina stability or disabled sim representation, I might smile a little, but it's almost 2020 and I don't think any of those are too much to ask.
    I agree, although The Sims 4 is visually stunning; we’ve lost the gameplay and soul of the game as a sacrifice. Sims feel very shallow and generic and the gameplay is extremely dull, limited.
    It’s not visually stunning at all.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    I think it is stupid and offensive
    EA is not abusing the simmers. The whiny simmers are abusing EA.
    Simtown15 wrote: »
    No.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member

Bad simmers spending hundreds of pounds/ whatever your currency on their products. Bad!

How dare they have an opinion!

Bad simmers spending hundreds of pounds/ whatever your currency on their products. Bad!

How dare they have an opinion!

@MidnightAura I'm getting out of my power wheelchair and into my walking trainer so I can literally give you a standing ovation! <5 mins of standing applause>
    edited October 2019
    Nah I've seen plenty of fans send death threats and applaud whenever a community manager and Gurus are fired. Many current Game Changers for EA also are demanding better Sims products too, so the whole "sides" debate is null and void by now. Proof is in the pudding. I do not condone the behavior of any real abuse on someone's life Simmer and Guru alike. Begs to question who are the real ones abusing EA? I've seen plenty of self proclaimed fans say, "If you don't like it don't buy it" or "go back to playing the Sims 3". Now I see the hypocrisy of those words when Simmers actually act on that threat provided by those that claim they don't "whine" and choose not to support the movement they themselves started with those common sayings. Sorry Simmers listened and have been provided that fuel by fellow Simmers. Calling Simmers abusive is going to support the movement rather that prevent it. Why people say don't fight fire with fire. You want to help the Gurus out, help sell the products instead of helping scare all the customers away. Welcome new Simmers. Prevent illegal activities like pirating and pedophiles from occurring even if it is occurring in your cliques. It hasn't be an easy year with changes with the rules within the Game Changer program because of illegal incidents, but often I find people like to point the finger at anyone even if they don't know all the facts of a situation or don't bother to listen to all sides of a story. I am disappointed in the Sims community this year and seen plenty of Simmers turn a blind eye to illegal activities within it just because of cliques. Nothing gets done by doing nothing. Negativity comes in all forms and nothing is truly a success without some failure to it.

A previous movement that occurred in EA's past:
    https://ea-spouse.livejournal.com/274.html

Change didn't happen by the EA community doing nothing them. EA community and employees came together to enact change and it proved positive results in the workplace. This thing is bigger than just the Sims. But it goes to show "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." Remember history and what other companies have done helps prevent it from it occurring in the future. This isn't the first time a movement has happened especially in the Sims 4 lifetime. It happened a few years ago too. I helped end it entering a giveaway of all things. I was abused for my efforts. But seeing it repeat again goes to show Sims community has failed again at making the Sims 4 a game worth selling to other Simmers even five years later its initial release. You don't have to be a Game Changer to support the Sims 4 or have a voice for it and until Simmers realize they aren't better than fellow Simmers and Gurus, nothing is going to change. Gurus are just as much Simmers as we are if they choose to play the game. Not every Maxis employee or Simmer is going to play the Sims 4 or any of the Sims games. I don't know how to end it this time but I know it cannot be done with negative comments. Going to have to be a positive act and wouldn't it be neat if it was you this time that brought Gurus and the community together? Guru Garages are one method Gurus are trying to combat this movement and having Simmers not support it and call it pointless isn't helping the Gurus out. Gurus are trying to find a common ground with Simmers in a more relaxed environment. I hate when even positive efforts are torn down by the self-proclaimed fans that Gurus try. So let the Gurus try.

But anyways I know you are a good person and was nice enjoying the Guru Garage with you.
    Post edited by Scobre on