Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Drama of the week! Do you agree with the stopEAabuse hashtag?

Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
edited October 2019 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
During this week the spanish speaking community of this game started the stopEAabuse hashtag on twitter as a form of protest and encorage players who agree to not buy anymore packs to The Sims 4. This is already a topic of discussion dividing the community even more! Some english speakers say that the hashtag its offensive and other people say that the word abuse have more than one meaning and in fact the original spanish word doesn't have the connectation that can trigger some people. Some people are also trying to replace with another hashtag named EAlisten instead so it can be easly accepted for some.
What do you think? Is this completely unnecessary, it should be done in different ways or do you totally agree and support this action? Do you think it can change something?

Edit :To give some context this is the idea behind the hashtag:

this is also a good article that explain what is happening: http://www.nerdbite.com/stopeaabuse-the-movement-calling-for-change-in-the-sims/
Post edited by Renato10 on

Drama of the week! Do you agree with the stopEAabuse hashtag? 181 votes

I agree and support the idea
27%
nickibitswardqtnikkiAyradyssEvil_OnebabajayneAeroprincess87Bagoas77Isa_MenezesFearlessButterflymock68SumoBSlayeurTownKalaniCoolKaeChan2089mlmeadowsSk8rblazePurpleSweetTartFoxrox77Logisitcsrambahadoer 50 votes
I understand but I will not take part
6%
GoldmoldartanakakifriendlysimmersMaggieMarleyLoves2draw1812Internal_ChaosSimsLovinLycanPeculiarPlumbobSigRaroEliteGirlnerdfashionbella_goth 12 votes
I think there are better solutions (tell in comments)
3%
GalacticGalTheSpotted_CEmmaVaneDragonCat159XxAirixXTS1299x4m1r4 7 votes
I think it will not change anything at all
13%
auroraael14Bluefairy286JasedanacnbrettthecatsredccllmmssdoogerieLindsaySeddon1Lemon405QueenMercyEnkiSchmidtdoedearSuperCoolRachaelcharlesbergIzzeh96Vivi_WillowTreeSimDestroyerNorthDakotaGamerMsKatieRoseListentoToppDogg 25 votes
I like #EAlisten more than #stopEAabuse
20%
CK213jeepjeepcatSimsILikeSimsSimQueenie9MagdaleenazagboorulesGabbyGirlJHestiaKhrisstyneDragonAge_300905VoltronLittlBowBubChuChuExpresssillyangel0906YBNS2468ScobreSimKonfetticalipossAmistri2016pinneduphair 37 votes
I think it is stupid and offensive
7%
VibseIsb917alanmichael1momboqueenSarahTheRedetoniaDoloresGreyFaberriesSimtown15puderosasimsDrakosjadonbakesQueenarellaEnnael 14 votes
I think it is totally unnecessary
19%
NighteyesSsimgoddessPlayerSinger2010KelleygirlWritin_ReginvisiblgirlluthienrisingcatloverplayerMissyHissyPegasysRebeccaThurstontaydevusualsuspectkatka_kynclovaTo7mChampandGirlieSindocatrjssimmkasmlHermitgirl 36 votes

Comments

• Options
    Vivi_WillowTreeVivi_WillowTree Posts: 452 Member
    I think it will not change anything at all
    They're not listening now, so why would they with a hashtag?
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Can't vote on this poll since I have no idea what people are protesting. What abuse? And or what do they want EA to listen about? I may not agree with them on either hashtag. Therefore, I can't vote for what to call the hashtag.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    I understand but I will not take part
    umm i'm pretty sure sexuality has nothing to do with the hashtag, it's all about the price and how they are slowly killing their game, anyways i was about to vote that this most likely won't change anything at all, ea is one of the most hated game companies but they just don't give a 🐸🐸🐸🐸, they still making money, people will forget about this and will continue buying their products, and if anything, ea can just wash their image and pretend nothing happened, like always
  • Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited October 2019
    The point of hashtag is like a vote poll to show which side the person supports for the cause their fighting. On one hand, it delivers the message that people are sicken tired of EA's 🐸🐸🐸🐸 and their tactics of peacemeal (mostly), but on the other - it's leaves up for guessing-intepretation for what change each individual person is proposing, without explicitly mentioning. Though from what I read who used it, explicitly mention the issue of peacemealing and barebone content/quality of content.

Despite that, I think people should keep using it, If they truly sicken tired of EA's 🐸🐸🐸🐸. However, I would think it would benefit a bunch if they follow it with another hashtag what things should EA focus on bringing:
    - #TraitsOverEmotions
    - #GiveSimsPersonality
    - #MakeFamiliesGreatAgain
    - #GiveRomanticInteractions
    etc.

Although how I see, it doesn't matter because for EA, gamechangers come first than the guy she told not to worry about (the regular players). Fixing autonomy and AI of Sims is the least of their concerns, but oh boy if a yibs need a white shelf we must grant their wish. If Maxis cared, surely the first page of Feedback would no longer contain commotion threads of absent family content, how Sims lack personality, and all other popular controversies had they compiled with such suggestions as suggested by collective mind or bring necessary changes to make the game interesting as it's own in it's unique take.

As what for better solutions I voice my vote for? Well first, this going without repeating, is vote for your wallet. If you're really not fond off of the peace-meal content and their quality being watered-down, than I think you should boycott the game entirely, or at least partially. And yes, you'll have to explain your reason for why you chose to do that. Other.... well actually I can't think of any effective one than that one.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    bellagoth_ wrote: »
    umm i'm pretty sure sexuality has nothing to do with the hashtag, it's all about the price and how they are slowly killing their game, anyways i was about to vote that this most likely won't change anything at all, ea is one of the most hated game companies but they just don't give a plum, they still making money, people will forget about this and will continue buying their products, and if anything, ea can just wash their image and pretend nothing happened, like always

Sad but I agree
  • Options
    LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member
    edited October 2019
    If #bringbacknationaldex isn't going to work for a company that actually cares about its games and community (Nintendo/gamefreak), then #stopeaabuse or whatever the heck it is isn't going to do anything.

Just let it die and burn out.
    LR3g0ni.jpg
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    I'm going to need some context here. What happened? Why did they start the hashtag and what's the original spanish word?
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2019
    To7m wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Can't vote on this poll since I have no idea what people are protesting. What abuse? And or what do they want EA to listen about? I may not agree with them on either hashtag. Therefore, I can't vote for what to call the hashtag.

Basically? One tweeter was talking about how not being able to make a non binary sim (which I’m sure we can) is abuse. I lost interest right there and then.

I think people need to grow the heck up and feel lucky they don’t know what real abuse is.

—T

So, it's not about ignoring gameplay requests? Or GPs sold at EP prices? But another avartar feature.....not interested.

I have one, hashtag, Maxisstopthebuynowfixlatermoto. Hashtag: Maxisstopthesafespacefocusandaddmesomegameplay.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member

Basically? One tweeter was talking about how not being able to make a non binary sim (which I’m sure we can) is abuse. I lost interest right there and then.

I think people need to grow the heck up and feel lucky they don’t know what real abuse is.

—T

So, it's not about ignoring gameplay requests? Or GPs sold at EP prices? But another avartar feature.....not interested.

I don’t know, I only saw that one tweet. Either way, I don’t think ‘abuse’ is really the right way to go about it.

—T
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    The point of hashtag is like a vote poll to show which side the person supports for the cause their fighting. On one hand, it delivers the message that people are sicken tired of EA's plum and their tactics of peacemeal (mostly), but on the other - it's leaves up for guessing-intepretation for what change each individual person is proposing, without explicitly mentioning. Though from what I read who used it, explicitly mention the issue of peacemealing and barebone content/quality of content.

Despite that, I think people should keep using it, If they truly sicken tired of EA's plum. However, I would think it would benefit a bunch if they follow it with another hashtag what things should EA focus on bringing:
    - #TraitsOverEmotions
    - #GiveSimsPersonality
    - #MakeFamiliesGreatAgain
    - #GiveRomanticInteractions
    etc.

Although how I see, it doesn't matter because for EA, gamechangers come first than the guy she told not to worry about (the regular players). Fixing autonomy and AI of Sims is the least of their concerns, but oh boy if a yibs need a white shelf we must grant their wish. If Maxis cared, surely the first page of Feedback would no longer contain commotion threads of absent family content, how Sims lack personality, and all other popular controversies had they compiled with such suggestions as suggested by collective mind or bring necessary changes to make the game interesting as it's own in it's unique take.

As what for better solutions I voice my vote for? Well first, this going without repeating, is vote for your wallet. If you're really not fond off of the peace-meal content and their quality being watered-down, than I think you should boycott the game entirely, or at least partially. And yes, you'll have to explain your reason for why you chose to do that. Other.... well actually I can't think of any effective one than that one.

Agreed. What they are not doing imo is not constructive enough. There are a lot of advocates in the past that works such as toddlers and pets, specific enought for the devs to get ideas. Instead of this trend.
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member

—T

I have one, hashtag, Maxisstopthebuynowfixlatermoto. Hashtag: Maxisstopthesafespacefocusandaddmesomegameplay.

The community is really split up if that is true. Gonna left social media for the sims except the forums. Being doing that for the past month and happy that I can focus on my life more. Now I am just happy that our forums while sometimes can become negative, not as heated as those on social media,
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    If #bringbacknationaldex isn't going to work for a company that actually cares about its games and community (Nintendo/gamefreak), then #stopeaabuse or whatever the heck it is isn't going to do anything.

Just let it die and burn out.

Oh my God, #bringbacknationaldex is annoying too. It's too late for GF to add every 'mon into the game, and honestly, I'd bet the majority of them that are left out are legendaries/Tapus/Ultra Beasts.

Anyway, while I do agree that EA is a shady company and TS4 has suffered because of the 180 they had to do between 3 and 4, the basis behind THIS particular issue makes no sense.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I have no idea what to vote to be honest. I have no idea how popular the hashtag is and how many people share the emotion. I’m not a fan of the word abuse here, not because I fail to understand a word can have several meanings or think it can only be used for the strongest one (from now on when we say abuse we only mean the very worst case of abuse and whenever we use the word we have a respectful minute of silence first), but rather because also in the meaning of the word ‘misuse’, I don’t think it’s as simple as that. I think EA is convinced they are doing the right, modern, young, flashy thing for this franchise and clearly they have a point. This whole gamechangers nonsense for instance, that program, I just can’t get my head around the very principle it’s a good idea to favour a small group of Special Fans, hand them everything for free, listen to only them (black door? black door!) and form this clique like atmosphere around them. If every fan out there was a tiny bit like me the result would be hilarious because it would have no affect at all, it rather would completely backfire even. And there’s the thing: clearly not everybody is like me, people apparently love it. People can write down walls of thorough, very constructive feedback here, as soon as some charismatic boy or girl on YouTube fills 20 minutes to say the very same thing (or utter nonsense, that too) it all of a sudden is gospel. And right there for me is where the actual problem lies (and where I begin to feel like an alien who is unable to participate in this poll). Fans apparently loving to be treated like this. Fans going more an more over the topish crazy over stuff that was just... there in the past.
    Oh, that’s a bare game... meh.
    Oh, swimming pools: yaaay!
    Wait what, toddlers: squeeee!
    Terrain tools? Scream!!
    Stairs: I’M CRYING!!! AND I’M MAKING THIS VIDEO IN WHICH YOU ALL CAN SEE I’M ACTUALLY CRYING! STAIRS!

Who am I to tell EA to listen if this clearly works this way. They run a business, if it works this way it does, good job. I mean, I’m gone (well, my money is) but what do they care :D As long as enough people buy and scream and cry over stuff that’s just quietly been hanging in there in the earlier games from the very beginning, they have no reason to change a thing. That’s how companies work.

All I can think when I see that hashtag now is sorry guys, but we told you so years ago, when ‘potential’ still was the magic word.

5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    I like #EAlisten more than #stopEAabuse
    I think hashtag campaigns are about as useful as boycotting businesses. And the use of "abuse" is way off mark. Sure, it has different meanings but the vast majority of English speakers (native or not) will not go to "abuse of power" or "misuse", they'l go to violence and severe mistreatment. I've seen at least one person respond that they thought it was about EA's employees rather than a game.

Not to mention that if it's about Sims, there's nothing in the hashtag that indicates that.

It's obviously necessary for those participating, I just personally think it's pointless.
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited October 2019

—T

It's not about that. I don't like the hashtag, but I like the idea behind it (if I'm understanding it correctly). Basically it's about how EA is milking the Sims and giving less and less content for more and more $$. The reason I don't like the hashtag is "abuse" is a very loaded term and I think it makes it easy to brush off the complaints or have misunderstandings of what it actually means.
  • Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    Felicity wrote: »

—T

It's not about that. I don't like the hashtag, but I like the idea behind it (if I'm understanding it correctly). Basically it's about how EA is milking the Sims and giving less and less content for more and more $$. The reason I don't like the hashtag is "abuse" is a very loaded term and I think it makes it easy to brush off the complaints or have misunderstandings of what it actually means.

I agree with you. I’m just saying what I saw on Twitter, I did not venture beyond that one tweet.

—T
  • Options
    Marduc_PlaysMarduc_Plays Posts: 416 Member
    #savetheplanet
    Parcour - the art of jumping to conclusions.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

—T

Especially that. It’s the perfect straw man material, drawing away the attention from the actual issue. So the hashtag is counterproductive.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I have no idea what to vote to be honest. I have no idea how popular the hashtag is and how many people share the emotion. I’m not a fan of the word abuse here, not because I fail to understand a word can have several meanings or think it can only be used for the strongest one (from now on when we say abuse we only mean the very worst case of abuse and whenever we use the word we have a respectful minute of silence first), but rather because also in the meaning of the word ‘misuse’, I don’t think it’s as simple as that. I think EA is convinced they are doing the right, modern, young, flashy thing for this franchise and clearly they have a point. This whole gamechangers nonsense for instance, that program, I just can’t get my head around the very principle it’s a good idea to favour a small group of Special Fans, hand them everything for free, listen to only them (black door? black door!) and form this clique like atmosphere around them. If every fan out there was a tiny bit like me the result would be hilarious because it would have no affect at all, it rather would completely backfire even. And there’s the thing: clearly not everybody is like me, people apparently love it. People can write down walls of thorough, very constructive feedback here, as soon as some charismatic boy or girl on YouTube fills 20 minutes to say the very same thing (or utter nonsense, that too) it all of a sudden is gospel. And right there for me is where the actual problem lies (and where I begin to feel like an alien who is unable to participate in this poll). Fans apparently loving to be treated like this. Fans going more an more over the topish crazy over stuff that was just... there in the past.
    Oh, that’s a bare game... meh.
    Oh, swimming pools: yaaay!
    Wait what, toddlers: squeeee!
    Terrain tools? Scream!!
    Stairs: I’M CRYING!!! AND I’M MAKING THIS VIDEO IN WHICH YOU ALL CAN SEE I’M ACTUALLY CRYING! STAIRS!

Who am I to tell EA to listen if this clearly works this way. They run a business, if it works this way it does, good job. I mean, I’m gone (well, my money is) but what do they care :D As long as enough people buy and scream and cry over stuff that’s just quietly been hanging in there in the earlier games from the very beginning, they have no reason to change a thing. That’s how companies work.

All I can think when I see that hashtag now is sorry guys, but we told you so years ago, when ‘potential’ still was the magic word.

This is the best response! Thank you for sharing it!
  • Options
    ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    I don't much about it either. If it is about how they're treating players with the personality cloned Sims and piecemealing content and stuff, then yeah. I say rock on. The non binary thing, since Maxis is all about looking diverse wouldn't be a major issue for them. Or rather I don't think it is, it's just a matter of how easy or difficult it is to implement and doing it because we see how they are just adding relation options.

Abuse may be a strong word to some because it's not like someone was holding a weapon to their heads and saying buy or else (which I agree with) but on the flip side I would say there was some manipulation and scare tactics with the whole 'No Sims 5 if Sims 4 doesn't succeed.' thing and lying to players to get them to keep pre-orders, maybe gaslighting with telling us lies about how well the previous Sims games did certain things to make Sims 4 look good. They know people love this series and that right now they're the only choice in their field and they use that to their advantage. Also, after all this time the most popular things that can be said about the game are still great graphics (which usually they mean the art style which isn't all that great in my opinion), and it runs well.

Some of us have been pointing out the issues that seem to be gaining more traction from the start but we were told we're overreacting and hating because we wanted the previous Sims game redone. Better late than never but I think it's too late for them to change it up for The Sims 4 now. It's not going to change anything in the short term, but hopefully seeing something as shocking as stop EA abuse will make them think for The Sims 5.

I've been seeing a number of articles and comments lately about disgruntled game players who all happen to play a game made by EA and feel cheated. Literally anyone playing a game by EA who feels ripped off could take advantage of that hashtag which I think could be a good thing on the part of whoever started it. Having other EA game players helps boost their voices but I don't know how much will actually change, even if EA does try to stop this narrative. But when I first read stopEAabuse in the title I thought it was simmers taking advantage of a hashtag started by FIFA or Anthem players.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • Options
    KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    Not like it's gonna do anything but..good for them for standing up.
  • Options
    happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    I don't really care as I don't participate in sims communities (outside of occcasional snarky comments on this here forum) but I'm always there for people recognizing corporations aren't their friends and sticking it to the man.
  • Options
    fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member

—T

This. I get what they are trying to say but that hashtag is way off the mark.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn