Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you find The Sims challenging?

I am talking about no cheats being used.

I am in the middle because I often struggle with keeping needs up constantly. I do not like having small families which throws in that challenge part of not being able to keep all my sims needs in the green all the time. Low needs mean low performance at times so without any cheats it can be a bit challenging.
2llotup.jpg
The Best of Hunni's Builds
Feel free to follow my builds!!!!!!:)

Do you find The Sims challenging? 172 votes

Very challenging
1%
Babykittyjadegroovyboa 2 votes
Sort of challenging
33%
Akl500PNh6650JeanUzone27dreamergrl84Colorist40PlayerSinger2010simlish1StrangerthanSimQueenie9Mariefoxprice83cchant86fruitsbasket101Mindofyhunniboo1FroilpapertonguehalloweenchildMoonfoxNightcryNinja-Dan22 57 votes
Not challenging at all
56%
Bluegayleauroraael14CK213GoldmoldarBluefairy286Kita5399IcewolfLaBlue0314SamadamsPlayerjeepjeepcatBlkBarbiegalHowGreatThouArtlisamwittCamkatAlrynnIsb917trifidmeerkatkeekee53MeteoraStormelanorbreton 98 votes
Other:
8%
applefeather2Tiipiimock68ChampandGirlieFelice_EnellenSindocatHermitgirlSimtown15RedShoe7OEII1001CABALalyssa123SimSweetySimmyFroggytelemwill 15 votes

Comments

• Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,651 Member
    Sort of challenging
    For the most part, it's not that challenging. But some jobs have quite time consuming tasks or requirements to get promoted, and for someone like me who only plays the game like 1-2 hours at a time (about 2-3 sim days), it can feel like a long time for the sim to get promoted and stuff.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    Sort of challenging
    I find that it gets more challenging when you have more than one sim in the household. Have to keep all their needs up, have to try to fulfill all their whims and aspirations which can be different from others so you can't always fulfill them all at once, etc...

Also why I don't like playing with toddlers as it takes so much time without cheats to care for them and make sure you max out all their skills. Leaves little time for to do anything else. My sims seemed stressed out as they don't get to fill up their fun bar unless I cheat.
  • Options
    CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    Not challenging at all
    I don't find it challenging at all, but that could probably just be due to the way I play. I sort of play TS4 like a strategy game vs a sandbox LOL
  • Options
    Prink34320V2Prink34320V2 Posts: 156 Member
    Sort of challenging
    Only when I reach 6 or so household members, especially in Sims 2 where you have to manage their satisfaction and fears omllll
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Other:
    I find The Sims engaging. "Challenge" isn't really what I am looking for here. It's not a game you win. I am frequently treated to in game events that spark new ideas, and help me play my Sims better, and sometimes have to push through to achieve goals, but "challenge" doesn't fit the bill. It's not a contest or a conflict or a competition. And I like that it isn't. That is in fact a huge part of the attraction for me.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Sort of challenging
    I've been playing with very large 8-sim households and set goals, and yes, it's been sort of challenging xD and I do still use cheats sometimes :joy:
  • Options
    Felice_EnellenFelice_Enellen Posts: 102 Member
    edited September 2019
    Other:
    Depends on what you're doing.

Are you just goofing around with one or two flirty sims and letting the chips fall where they may? Not very challenging.

Are you doing the 100-baby challenge and trying to get it all done with a single matriarch before she hits simopause? CHALLENGING AS #?$%.
    Post edited by Felice_Enellen on
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,389 Member
    Sort of challenging
    There are things that are not challenging at all, like making money or keeping Sims needs up, but trying to take care of several toddlers at the same time can be a bit challenging sometimes. Also having a full house of Sims if I want to achieve their aspirations is not the easiest thing to do.
  • Options
    Felice_EnellenFelice_Enellen Posts: 102 Member
    Other:
    Kimmer wrote: »
    but trying to take care of several toddlers at the same time can be a bit challenging sometimes.
    Yeah or *shudder* infant triplets.
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,209 Member
    Sort of challenging
    I find it sort of challenging to play around the bugs sometimes. The first time I tried to age up a toddler via birthday cake, it took me six attempts until the adults involved finally got it right, making me question whether I'm even supposed to do it that way. That kind of thing happens a lot, unfortunately.

Other than that, one thing I would call challenging is building relationships. The bar seems to fill up slower than in previous games, and since I usually want my sims to do more interesting stuff, I quickly get tired of spamming the same interactions around other sims to get them to like each other. The Friend of the World aspiration is a nightmare for me.
  • Options
    SimSweetySimSweety Posts: 73 Member
    Other:
    I find the older games challenging, but the only time I find TS4 hard is when you have toddlers in the household :/
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Other:
    It depends on what I want out of it on a particular day. When I do a challenge or a specific play type, I can make it challenging for myself. But other times I want to just faff about and relax and don't want the game to be challenging and I can do that. Best of both worlds.

The bigger the household, the harder it is to keep every Sims's needs up so in that regard, it's a challenge. But then it also depends on how fast I want to get things done like promotions etc.

Some things can be challenging even when I don't want them to (rotational play and the freelancer career are interesting in that regard and taking care of multiple toddlers and a god in one family is also an adventure) and some challenges can be made super easy depending on the choices taken but in general it has just the right amounts of challenge that I'd expect from a sandbox game like this.

• Options
    phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    Not challenging at all
    I've been playing Sims for so long that I've got keeping a large household's needs met down to an art. The 7 Toddler Challenge was hard, but I managed it. It took a lot of practice and getting into the rhythm of the game, and I do use the pause button quite a bit. Pause, check everyone's needs, assign feeding/bathrooming/whatever, unpause.

It helps to have multiple bathrooms, to set out food and let people (especially toddlers!) grab a plate instead of everyone trying to get leftovers at the same time, and if you have a really tough household, to have people's sleep/wakeup times staggered.
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,733 Member
    edited September 2019
    Not challenging at all
    Depends on your household and if you are playing with restrictions...but I just always take care of my sims needs when they are yellow and I never seem to have any problems no matter which household I play.

That said, I do not find challenging that fun either...I for example found out that the easiest way to take care of many toddlers is to convert your home into a daycare. Put the food on the floor, have separate rooms for playing and sleeping etc. But then you are not really playing as a family any more.
  • Options
    GrouchybeastGrouchybeast Posts: 149 Member
    Sort of challenging
    It can be pretty challenging or pretty easy, depending on how you're playing and what goals you've set yourself. I guess that's just part and parcel of being a sandbox game. If you have one or two adult sims, and you give them access to everything in the game, it's definitely on the easy side.

At the moment I'm playing an off-the-grid game (with a few mods to improve the flavour), and my sims are only allowed to make money with yard sales. Then I forgot that I left autonomous Try For Baby turned on in MCCC and those Family aspirations took hold, and now they're about to have a toddler running around in the mix. So I expect things to get more challenging very soon!
    "Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live." - Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Sindocat wrote: »
    I find The Sims engaging. "Challenge" isn't really what I am looking for here. It's not a game you win. I am frequently treated to in game events that spark new ideas, and help me play my Sims better, and sometimes have to push through to achieve goals, but "challenge" doesn't fit the bill. It's not a contest or a conflict or a competition. And I like that it isn't. That is in fact a huge part of the attraction for me.

That's how I play - when I start to feel anxious about juggling Sim needs and their schedules, it means I've got too many people in the household. I get enough stress at work, I don't need to simulate it.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    ScarletSimEaterScarletSimEater Posts: 126 Member
    Not challenging at all
    You have to go pretty far out of your way to make sims challenging, and frankly TS4 doesn't have enough randomness to really force you to adapt on the fly. Once you've planned your path out, implementation isn't all that hard.

Still, I have other games I play when I want to be challenged. Sims is for when I want to play god to their electric lives.
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Not challenging at all
    I played the first iteration of The Sims for 15 years straight. Changed to Sims 4 and found it was too easy.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,410 Member
    Sort of challenging
    I tend to take things slow and play the way that suits the character. That gives me some limitations. The difficulty of keeping their needs up depends on the house and what items I have provided them, how many bathrooms per sim for example or do they have electronic devices. Earning money without writing/painting/gardening can also be a challenge. I just recently played a celebrity sim who doesn't do a ton of social media stuff and it took a while to get him from two stars to three. Get Famous is probably the most challenging addition to the game this far and I like it for that.
  • Options
    ambaraambara Posts: 47 Member
    Not challenging at all
    I don't find it challenging but for me this isn't really supposed to be that kind of game anyway.
  • Options
    TiipiiTiipii Posts: 103 Member
    Other:
    Not challenging at all (I accidentally selected Other. I'm typing this on my phone). I wish the game was much more challenging.
  • Options
    BluelleBluelle Posts: 327 Member
    Not challenging at all
    I'm a micro manager. I need 100% control all the time, and to fullfill this need of mine I have a daycare household that I sometimes play. I've set household max limit to 10 which means I have 1 adult sim and 9 toddlers, and I don' find it hard at all. It's not difficult in the slightest (if you don't count in the bugs) to keep everyone happy. I understand that some people find that having just 1 toddler is too much but I feel like 9 is pretty easy...

So, in short, TS4 is the easiest game I've ever played
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 9,004 Member
    Not challenging at all
    most of the time there is no real challenge to this game which I like and hate at the same time

I like being able to play with no real problems at times and making problems for myself should i choose to but its just way too easy to get to stage where your sim has completed multiple careers is a millionaire and has mastered every skill and aspiration in the game

the biggest "challenge" is just my sims trying my patience when there is simulation lag or bugs and i know itd be so much faster if i just cheated the motive than keep resetting my sim

now if we talk of ts1 though "depression" was bit too real with that one and i feel the "challenge" to be bit too much when my supposed-to-be loner witch keeps being depressed not talking to goths everyday and can't do magic :joy: so there is definite limit to how challenging I want my game to be
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    JeanJean Posts: 1,243 Member
    Sort of challenging
    Sort of challenging, because you can make it as challenging as you want by doing challenges (lol).