Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What type of houses do you have in your worlds?

I am in need of ideas! I wnder what type of houses you have in your worlds. Like the style of them. Are they representing certain traditional homes from specific countries or areas? Do you keep a strict rule to the type of houses you build in certain areas/world and should they match the surrounding homes or world design? Take me to a journey of your worlds!

What I have in my worlds are:

- Classic American suburban family homes in the mid-class area of Willow Creek
- Moroccan/Spanish style resorts and 'holiday homes' in Oasis Springs due to the desert vibes there
- Historical architectural detailed buildings in Winderburg that serve as any type of community lot
- Modern big family or starter homes in New crest. The houses have a combinations of wood, stone and concrete

Comments

• Options
    BloosmooBloosmoo Posts: 754 Member
    Haunted houses, old creepy builds, some modern houses, mostly though they are houses I see out and about in the UK and I think, hmmm that needs to be in my game or I take the challenge of building them in game. If you want a nosy I'm Purpleparasite on the gallery, prepare to be underwhelmed.
  • Options
    SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member
    I tend to stick to the architectural style of each world. With that said, I have Edwardian-inspired houses in the Goths' neighborhood in my current save file. In Oasis Springs, I have a more Southwestern, Spanish style. Windenburg is a mix of Tudor style and modern-ish (not too good with modern builds).

I've discovered I'm a bit of an architectural nerd.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    edited July 2019
    I like to break the worlds down into neighborhoods and give each neighborhood its own style of lots. One of the neighborhoods will usually fit the world itself quite well, and the others I try to get a bit more creative with. For example, in Windenburg I've got tudors in the "town" part, Mediterranean-styled homes on the island, and fairytale-like castles in the forest.

It usually doesn't matter to me whether or not the lots match the surroundings. There are some cases where it does (like on the exterior of SM penthouses, and in some areas of Newcrest)
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    edited July 2019
    I also like builds to look in keeping with the rest of the world they are in, so whatever style I go for will depend on that e.g. modern for the island in Windenburg, cute stone cottage in the countryside etc. Newcrest I tend to use solely for venues. I really hope we get more worlds based on different parts of our world so I can use more build styles and not feel like they look out of place.
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I tend to keep the architectural style the same when/if I redesign the worlds so I look for houses specifically built for specific worlds. For Newcrest I usually fill it with random suburban family homes because that's the vibe it gives me. Recently, I saw a person on the gallery who made some New Orleans shotgun styled homes for Willow Creek. I want to put them in my game so the world feels more like New Orleans.
  • Options
    GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,348 Member
    I often try to match the architecture style of the surrounding buildings because that challenges me to try things I haven't tried before, and it makes my building look like it belongs there better. But it's certainly not a strict rule. I have pretty much no strict rules. :smile:

I love trying to duplicate real buildings using the sims building tools. I have built up a huge file of reference pictures from various sources, with many different styles of architecture that I like the looks of. Different time periods, different uses, sizes, cultures etc. When I need a new house or community lot for my game, I open the file, pick something that seems like it would be good for what I want, and try to make a building that looks like that. Due to limitations of the tools, I usually have to get inventive, and it's never an exact copy, but it gets me started. I frequently use more than one reference and combine elements that I like.

I've made tiny houses, big mansions, some monasteries, and a huge temple inspired by some of the architecture of Florence Italy. I like Victorian and Gothic houses a lot, and I needed a bunch for my vampires, so I've made several of those. I came across a cool variation that most people were referring to as "Appalachian Gothic" which I really liked and I made some houses like that. Never would have even known about that style if I hadn't been poking around looking for random reference images. I've also had fun making some Tudor houses to add to Windenburg, and some modern Californian style houses in Oasis Springs. It just depends on what I want for my current story.

If you're finding yourself doing the same thing over and over, try doing some random reference hunting and see if anything new catches your eye.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,673 Member
    I love designing new houses, but in TS4 I more often stay with the premade houses. I might do some interior adjustments in order to turn one huuuge bedroom into 2 or 3 rooms, or to make a house more usable to a family. If I build a new house I normally go with the simple standard of kitchen/livingroom/diningroom downstairs, and 2-3 bedrooms + bathroom(s) upstairs. Depending on the family I might focus most on either the living area or the bedrooms (kids/teens' room should reflect their interests).

I only have a few houses with extremes, like very minimalistic or a style where one would expect to find a dead body buried in the basement. 99% of my homes are quite ordinary ;)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    edited July 2019
    Nice ideas everyone :)

I am thinking of having Victorian and Historical wooden Roma/Istanbul houses in the tram part of WC. I already made some years ago, but with so much new content and build tools, I will definitely upgrade those and turn them into some cute hotels and maybe boutiques.

4-7-19-17-19-39.png
    4-7-19-17-19-18.png

The lot side of it is staying residential with 2 different household living 'side to side'. And in the empty lot front of it I am planning to build a big square/park with a open terrace that serves as a Italian like street restaurant/café.
    The other lot side of the park is going to be a single residential Victorian styled home for a rich family.

• Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I try to go with the general look of each neighborhood. My favorite house style is probably modern though.
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    Neighborhoods for me develop around the Sims' personalities and which Sims I would like to have know whichever other Sims. For example, I wanted Spock and Uhura to know my Sims who live in Willow Creek, so now a house that looks like the Enterprise is in Willow Creek. 😄
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    bombtoribombtori Posts: 30 Member
    I have been playing a 20th century generations family for months. Right now I am in the late "1960s", so for the past generation I have made a lot of Mid Century style homes. Mostly ranch style but I made a really cool mid century mansion for my movie star in the hill of del sol valley. I also made a Laurel Canyon bungalow for my late 60s rock star in Oasis Springs. Besides that, I tried to make houses that were period appropriate, like post war style homes in the 1940s. It's been a lot of fun looking at older floorplans!
  • Options
    QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
    If you're looking for ideas, I really like the New York brownstones. I'm playing Victorian right now, so in Willow Creek, I'm making a section with that type of brick building you'd find in a city in the 1800s. In Windenburg, I have the tudor style and some classic victorian.
    BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
    On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com
  • Options
    DRIFTRYDRIFTRY Posts: 5 New Member
    all kind of types, well I am a builder, but most of them are on the "Modern type" yet for each map, i try to build houses with modern look BUT keeping some of the map uniqueness in the building :)
  • Options
    bombtori wrote: »
    I have been playing a 20th century generations family for months. Right now I am in the late "1960s", so for the past generation I have made a lot of Mid Century style homes. Mostly ranch style but I made a really cool mid century mansion for my movie star in the hill of del sol valley. I also made a Laurel Canyon bungalow for my late 60s rock star in Oasis Springs. Besides that, I tried to make houses that were period appropriate, like post war style homes in the 1940s. It's been a lot of fun looking at older floorplans!

Now that you mention it. I also had a late 70's vibe going on recently where I decorated all homes with mint and bright orange colors :) Loved it! You are giving me ideas.
  • Options
    sarabeth2984sarabeth2984 Posts: 849 Member
    Willow Creek is supposedly based on southern U.S turn of the century style, like New Orleans, so I have been making a lot of house styles based on that in Willow Creek and New Port. I have madeover Windenburg to have Tudor to Swedish homes. I am rebuilding Oasis Springs and Stangerville with Southwest/Victorian style. I grew up in small historic town in Texas so I have a lot of inspiration to draw upon. I don't like to build huge houses. I have been able to fit two houses on one lot. I have a few cute trailer parks and townhome blocks too:)
  • Options
    alyssa123alyssa123 Posts: 323 Member
    Willow Creek and Newcrest: classic suburban, craftsman, contemporary or modern. maybe a ranch home or two
    Oasis Springs: Spanish colonial, Mediterranean, contemporary or modern
    when gravity falls and the earth becomes sky, fear the beast with just one eye
  • Options
    Flexono1Flexono1 Posts: 326 Member
    Typically Victorian
    yHINxpB.png
    FQ9EzFl.png
    WlEiBWS.png

Gothic
    TpIAtlI.png
    ZCbG0D7.png
    C5gOOqK.png
    CvNjbVb.png
    FML4PG5.png

Or Gilded age Mansions
    f5VMcy1.png
    q6Gvlez.png
    x8BVGKu.png
    qJW05PK.png
    DPiB7Ir.png
    vqoz8Nm.png
  • Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    No clue about the style but I'llhave whatever I can build lol and I can't build at all so...
    A few examples:
    46428304285_e959f1dea5_b.jpg
    46428304115_84ca034637_b.jpg
    The house is riddled with windows on one side I know. But I want that midday bright sun inside of my house on all floors!

And another one:
    39368576320_639e50c01a_b.jpg
    42089702051_e9962898f1_b.jpg

I haven't really built much else. I've just redone ready made houses a little. They're cluttered and very lived in, homey. If anyone can give them a style, I'd love to know it :D
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    LivinityLivinity Posts: 455 Member
    There's this dude on YouTube that builds realistic houses based on architecture from different countries so there is loads of variety, it's great! DutchSims4Master check it out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osXKmBzcuFk I like this farm, for example. It feels like a real place you could walk in instead of that dollhouse feeling most houses in this game gives me, he is a great builder.
  • Options
    Livinity wrote: »
    There's this dude on YouTube that builds realistic houses based on architecture from different countries so there is loads of variety, it's great! DutchSims4Master check it out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osXKmBzcuFk I like this farm, for example. It feels like a real place you could walk in instead of that dollhouse feeling most houses in this game gives me, he is a great builder.

Wow.. just WOW! I am dutch and this brings back so much memories for me. Didnt grow up in a farm house or anything, cause I was born in the city, but traveling through these fields of farm houses while sitting in the train on the way to the airport or to other cities in Holland, brings back so much memories when I look at this amazing build. Need to download it right away and put in the country side of Windenburg! Thanks for sharing this amazing build!

I always wanted to play a farmer family, can't wait for a farm pack to be thing. Come one already EA!
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    Simpkin wrote: »
    No clue about the style but I'llhave whatever I can build lol and I can't build at all so...
    A few examples:
    46428304285_e959f1dea5_b.jpg
    46428304115_84ca034637_b.jpg
    The house is riddled with windows on one side I know. But I want that midday bright sun inside of my house on all floors!

And another one:
    39368576320_639e50c01a_b.jpg
    42089702051_e9962898f1_b.jpg

I haven't really built much else. I've just redone ready made houses a little. They're cluttered and very lived in, homey. If anyone can give them a style, I'd love to know it :D

You "can't build at all?" Those are gorgeous! :open_mouth:

And I'll call them "contemporary style." :blush:

Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    simlimbsimlimb Posts: 52 Member
    I'm pretty terrible at building so I import a lot of modest modern homes from the gallery.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    I try and match the style of whats in a world - mostly and always start with a 1-2 bedroom starter and add as the households grow.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    LivinityLivinity Posts: 455 Member

Wow.. just WOW! I am dutch and this brings back so much memories for me. Didnt grow up in a farm house or anything, cause I was born in the city, but traveling through these fields of farm houses while sitting in the train on the way to the airport or to other cities in Holland, brings back so much memories when I look at this amazing build. Need to download it right away and put in the country side of Windenburg! Thanks for sharing this amazing build!

I always wanted to play a farmer family, can't wait for a farm pack to be thing. Come one already EA!

Talk about a coincidence! That's awesome, I'm happy I helped you find it then, I hope you enjoy. I also love this farm, I played like 3 generations there and made a huge orchard in the back, I'm also craving a farming pack!
  • Options

Talk about a coincidence! That's awesome, I'm happy I helped you find it then, I hope you enjoy. I also love this farm, I played like 3 generations there and made a huge orchard in the back, I'm also craving a farming pack!

Sounds great! I was thinking of placing it in the country side of Windenburg or Maybe Brindleton Bay (love the beach there!) and keep it as a BB type of lot for sims to escape to and have a weekend vacation with big families or a group of friends. And then If I ever have a farm family, i will let them buy the house and live of farming. But yes, there will need to be a farming pack.