Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I hope the pack has mermaids

Comments

• Options
    ZussageZussage Posts: 141 Member
    Okay, here is the thing, every occult has enough stuff to be it's own GP. Especially mermaids, if anything, they have the most because you could create a whole underwater world for them. But literally everything has the potential to be a GP. People have written entire series, made tv shows, heck entire genres exist around these things. There is more than enough to fill a $25.00 GP with. So, I personally think the "it doesn't have a enough stuff to be a GP" is just a poor argument.

Now, just because it COULD be a whole GP, doesn't mean it's likely that they will put in the work to produce evey single one, and that, I think, is the real crux of the thing. It has nothing to do with not having enough folklore to build a GP around, it's is it profitable/popular enough to put the energy and resources into it. That is a LOT of GPs. I could see witches and werewolves coming eventually, simply because they are more popular in North American Pop Culture. There are SO MANY lifestates introduced in TS3, unfortunately I just don't think they could devote a GP to everyone on a practical level. They'll have to get picky and choosy. If they do try and bring back all of them, they will likely have to start combining two in a GP, or putting things like robots in a SP instead, heck they might even try and fit four in an EP just to have the time to get them all in.

And some lifestates might even make it into an EP. Mermaids, as I said before, I think would have to go in an island/tropical EP because it would rely on them opening up the ways interactions for it.
  • Options
    SweaterKatSweaterKat Posts: 36 Member
    I think that if we do get them (be it in an island pack or an occult specific pack) it would be really cool if had a need bar for water. I'm not sure what it would replace though; maybe hygiene because presumably you could shower or take a bath to refill this need. There are a lot of little things like moodlets that could be added I feel. For example, happy from "natural diet" for eating something with fish, energized or maybe a skill building boost from "smell of the sea" from being outside near a body of water, uncomfortable from "itchy fins" from not swimming in a while (regardless of aforementioned need that can be filled by showering).
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,192 Member
    Now, now. Mika was not rude or snarky at all. She stated her opinion strongly and well, and included facts. Let's play nice, simmers.

Nope she was rude."Have you ever watch a tv show lamo"
    mika wrote: »
    Personally, I'm going to get hate for this. They're not a lot of life states that could fit into game packs. People keep using Vampires. Ignoring that vampires had a lot of pop culture, and lore. Others like mermaids, fairies, robots, plants sims imaginary friend. Don't have a lot a lore that c I can not see in separate game packs.I can see a big expansion pack.

Sorry but that's just objectively false. Mermaids, fairies, and robots have a lot of lore. Lore can also be created, the devs could add their own that fits TS4. Mermaids could come with their own underwater world and powers like vampires do. Around the world there are different versions of mermaids and sirens who are dark and malevolent, not cute Disney type mermaids who only sing which is what you're probably thinking about.

And I suggest you look into Irish and Scottish mythology about fairies. They are far more than tiny people with wings and have arguably the most lore of all fantasy species. As for robots, haven't you ever seen a movie lmao? Anything involving advanced technology and artificial intelligence works as lore for them.

I really dont understand this belief among many in the sims community that only Vampires have enough individuality to get their own pack. Most of the lifestates could easily have their own GP. It's just that y'all dont know much about the other supernaturals to care for them , and mainstream media promotes vampire, werewolf (and lately, witch) stories more than any other mythological creature so you're convinced there is "better" content for them.

Did you had to be snarky? Yes I know they are lore from other countries.I have read some of them.Im fan of monsters,and supernatural creatures.To me there is still not a lot of lore or pop culture that can go to separate pack.Witches I can see maybe.Faries no and mermaids. I did not also said they can't be dark or evil.

There also stuff you can't do in gameplay.Take the sirens? What can you do with Sirens. You can't kill anybody in the game . I guess you can make the power to make a sim fall in love with you

Also, my point is not every supernatural creature can be in their own pack. Do you rely believe stuff like Genie, plant sims, imaginary friends, and every sim life stage can be in their own pack.I personally don't.

Please stop judging me or others, because I don't have the same opinion as you do.

I wasn't being "snarky", I have not insulted you or your perspective at all. People are allowed to disagree with your claims, it's not my problem if you get offended by it.

I don't care if you disagree with me.But some things you said were rude. " Have you ever watch a tv show?" The "It's all you don't know about the other supernatural to care about them?" To me those statements are rude.
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    I agree with you @Horrorgirl6 Not every occult has enough background to fill a GP. Many would do well added to an EP. I hope merfolk are a part of a tropical pack, it just makes sense. Plus, if we get occults in EP's where they fit, we won't get a glut of occults at one time and they can be added into our game at a pace that we can handle.

And yes, they were very rude, take it from someone who knows. :D

I agree also that not every occult will have enough to fill a GP, although lore can be created solely for the game.

Also, there's not one rude sentence in Mika's entire post.
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Now, now. Mika was not rude or snarky at all. She stated her opinion strongly and well, and included facts. Let's play nice, simmers.

Personally, I'm going to get hate for this. They're not a lot of life states that could fit into game packs. People keep using Vampires. Ignoring that vampires had a lot of pop culture, and lore. Others like mermaids, fairies, robots, plants sims imaginary friend. Don't have a lot a lore that c I can not see in separate game packs.I can see a big expansion pack.

Sorry but that's just objectively false. Mermaids, fairies, and robots have a lot of lore. Lore can also be created, the devs could add their own that fits TS4. Mermaids could come with their own underwater world and powers like vampires do. Around the world there are different versions of mermaids and sirens who are dark and malevolent, not cute Disney type mermaids who only sing which is what you're probably thinking about.

And I suggest you look into Irish and Scottish mythology about fairies. They are far more than tiny people with wings and have arguably the most lore of all fantasy species. As for robots, haven't you ever seen a movie lmao? Anything involving advanced technology and artificial intelligence works as lore for them.

I really dont understand this belief among many in the sims community that only Vampires have enough individuality to get their own pack. Most of the lifestates could easily have their own GP. It's just that y'all dont know much about the other supernaturals to care for them , and mainstream media promotes vampire, werewolf (and lately, witch) stories more than any other mythological creature so you're convinced there is "better" content for them.

Did you had to be snarky? Yes I know they are lore from other countries.I have read some of them.Im fan of monsters,and supernatural creatures.To me there is still not a lot of lore or pop culture that can go to separate pack.Witches I can see maybe.Faries no and mermaids. I did not also said they can't be dark or evil.

There also stuff you can't do in gameplay.Take the sirens? What can you do with Sirens. You can't kill anybody in the game . I guess you can make the power to make a sim fall in love with you

Also, my point is not every supernatural creature can be in their own pack. Do you rely believe stuff like Genie, plant sims, imaginary friends, and every sim life stage can be in their own pack.I personally don't.

Please stop judging me or others, because I don't have the same opinion as you do.

I wasn't being "snarky", I have not insulted you or your perspective at all. People are allowed to disagree with your claims, it's not my problem if you get offended by it.

I don't care if you disagree with me.But some things you said were rude. " Have you ever watch a tv show?" The "It's all you don't know about the other supernatural to care about them?" To me those statements are rude.

Well, have you?
  • Options
    IceyJ wrote: »

Well, have you?

Yes, I do watch tv shows.
  • Options
    bluelightingbluelighting Posts: 704 Member
    i'd love mermaids and i'd like the hula dance. they could add witches in the expansion. personally i dont watch tv anymore, so no comment on your conversation.
  • Options
    mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member

Most people understand sarcasm as a humor device and are not offended by it.
  • Options
    ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    Zussage wrote: »
    Okay, here is the thing, every occult has enough stuff to be it's own GP. Especially mermaids, if anything, they have the most because you could create a whole underwater world for them.

I love this idea!

Gallery ID: LDM2
  • Options

Oh sorry then. I didn't know what you said was sarcastic.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member

People never seem to understand sarcasm when I do it. I'm told that I'm mean and immature and need to grow up. Maybe we all need to step back and take a breath.
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member

People never seem to understand sarcasm when I do it. I'm told that I'm mean and immature and need to grow up. Maybe we all need to step back and take a breath.

I mean it's not like there's a shorthand notation for sarcasm or anything, right? /s
  • Options
    EmmaVane wrote: »

I mean it's not like there's a shorthand notation for sarcasm or anything, right? /s

What might a sarcasm emoji look like? The WINK smiley face? ;):D
  • Options
    SimsBroSimsBro Posts: 134 Member
    Mermaids are if anything the only Occults that fit an EP like a glove - for their inclusion we need underwater/ocean diving and swimming, that's quite an extensive feature that truly belongs in an EP.
    It's quite different from most other Occults that basically only needa few unique customization choices and some perks/special interactions.

Unfortunately if they don't come with this supposedly new EP, I don't think they'll be coming at all unless we get free oceans and dive lots for the base game in a free update.
    I wonder if that hinted change that made TS4 go to 64bit is part of the whole new free oceans.
  • Options
    aws200aws200 Posts: 2,262 Member
    edited May 2019
    Its Sims 4, you have to wait for Sims 4 Mermaids Game Pack for $20.
    That's how Maxis City works. B)
    1. The Sims 2
    2. The Sims 3
    3. The Sims 4 (5 years later its decent)
    4. The Sims 1
  • Options
    WaitWhatYTWaitWhatYT Posts: 512 Member
    edited May 2019

I also have to disagree with this. Faeries, witches, merfolk, robots, etc. have held special positions in both general media and their own specialized lore for centuries. I do agree, however, that vampire lore is more accessible, especially with the media attention they've gotten in recent years, and as such they were probably low-hanging fruit for EA, easy to implement with fun lore things like garlic and reflections, ties to the vampire state which there may not be as immediate equivalents for with other occult types.

With all that said, however, I'm disappointed werewolves have yet to make a comeback. At the end of the day, all I can do is be thankful for what we are given, but how non-vampire occult states have been handled thus far (i.e. not included at all or, as with aliens, hardly anything they can do) just seems like EA ignoring a sizable demographic of the fanbase. Although, as a supernatural fan, I also find it ridiculous that we don't have an occult toggle yet. Maybe if we do get some dedicated occult pack, but I'm not holding my breath. :(

On-topic, mermaids would be AWESOME but, not holding my breath for them either.
    Briana2425 wrote: »
    What would mermaids do exactly?

I suppose this comes back to the question about "lore". There's plenty they could do: siren song (to quickly increase friendship / romance and/or lure a sim to their watery grave, though somehow I doubt that last part would be implemented [although Get Famous introduced sims being eaten by sharks so who knows???]), communicate with aquatic life, explore hidden away underwater areas (similar to hidden locations already in the game), perhaps increased fishing and fitness gain (fitness from swimming all the time) and find underwater collectables, maybe even turn other sims into merfolk. EA could play up the tides + moon connection and make them similar to vampires, stronger in moonlight with increased / enhanced powers. While not the same, they could create a link between merfolk and selkies, have them appear as seals whenever they're on land and transform when in water. There's a lot that could be done with mermaids, if EA really wants to include them and make them any good, here's hoping.
  • Options
    InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    I. Love. Mermaids. I would spend so much time in CAS making pretty pretty mermaids, especially if we can choose the color and shape of the fins!!!
  • Options
    GracieO312GracieO312 Posts: 1,292 Member
    @InuMiroLover imagine if we could paint the tails like with cats and dogs <3 I don't think I would ever leave CAS tbh...
  • Options
    InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    GracieO312 wrote: »
    @InuMiroLover imagine if we could paint the tails like with cats and dogs <3 I don't think I would ever leave CAS tbh...

*imagines it*

giphy.gif
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited May 2019
    If it's a gp - yeah I could see mermaids - but I fear if it is an ep - a lot of players who don't want occults or non-humans in their games will riot and go ballistic!

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    SimsBroSimsBro Posts: 134 Member
    edited May 2019
    I don't see how hard it is for the devs to add something as simple as a toggle for Mermaids/Vampires/other Occults. It's 2019.
    Unlike Vampires or another Occult themed GP, this EP has a lot more features than just a new lifestate, anyways, including something extremely popular in a lifesim game and real life - tropical vacations.
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    If it's a gp - yeah I could see mermaids - but I fear if it is an ep - a lot of players who don't want occults or non-humans in their games will riot and go ballistic!

Yup, that's my fear too. Because occult players can never have anything nice without people whining about it.
  • Options
    You wouldn't need a toggle if occults (in this case merfolk) start the game in CAS. If you want merfolk, create them and add them. If you don't, avoid them in CAS and they will never appear. If an occult needs a "leader" (like vampires have Vlad) then that sim can be placed in our library for us to add or not. This way, we get to choose.
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    edited May 2019
    I'd rather occults be in-game, with a way to look for them. Just plopping in a leader or making our own can be dull. I'd like to go out of my way, maybe on an adventure, and look for mermaids in a special location. Reward my sim for seeking them out.

I can see a toggle working best. But honestly, aliens are usually well-hidden, and I never notice which sims are vampires at first glance - other than the few that dress like Goth fashion disasters. An even if I do find them, I don't think they ever impacted by gameplay.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017