Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I hope the pack has mermaids

Comments

• TheMagnoliaTheMagnolia Posts: 174 Member
    I hope that if this is a Tropical ep (won’t lie, I’ll be a little disappointed if it isn’t University) I don’t want it to be a vacation spot, but a livable world. Or there to be an option where you can do either. Have some lots be vacation rentals, and the other playable homes. Island Paradise was one of my favorite EPS from TS3 along with Late Night and University, so it would be disappointing to have a tropical world and not be able to live in it.
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    If we go by the assumptions that mermaids need to swim in saltwater like in IP, and that only the new world has ocean swimming, then mermaids would have to be in the beach world very often. If they don't live there, they'll have to make the occasional trip
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • GracieO312GracieO312 Posts: 1,291 Member
    I'm desperately trying to scale back my expectations for mermaids... I'll let myself out...
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member
    Cupid wrote: »
    Sorry.. I hope it doesn't :p

Rather avoid an aliens 2.0 situation where an occult gets thrown into the mix to hog resources away from the main theme of the pack, and still end up bland and uninteresting to play. I can only imagine how much better GTW would have been as an actual career pack if it had not been for all the focus on Sixam and the aliens; and how much better the aliens would have been if they had gotten their own thing instead.

Than we probably won't get them all.Metmaids can't be in gamepack.There is still a lot they can do with islands stuff with mermaids.
  • mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    Mermaids are my second favorite supernatural after Witches so I hope so as well.
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited May 2019
    @rudy8292 wrote: »
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Don't get your hopes up. Occults don't matter to this iteration of The Sims and people will whine about them OR they'll only be temporary or unattainable for your own sims.

We may not have gotten as many as I wish we would have by now, but if Vampires is any indication, when we get them, they will be spectacular.

True, but don't expect them to be spectacular with an EP where they have trade off after trade off.

They better dedicate full GP's to supernatural states instead of shoehorning them into some pack as a small side feature.

That’s basically what the Sims has always done since Sims 2 University, hardly a criticism of The Sims 4.

University, Nightlife and Apartment Life focus too much on the lifestate to give the EPs proper attention & the other occult’s didn’t really offer enough to be overly interesting.

And most of the occults in TS3 were visually interesting but gameplay wise had little to offer (same with Aliens in TS4).

Occult’s should be their own pack unless they’re an occult that doesn’t really need much gameplay (Zombies, Werewolf’s maybe).
    edited May 2019
    Personally, I'm going to get hate for this. They're not a lot of life states that could fit into game packs. People keep using Vampires. Ignoring that vampires had a lot of pop culture, and lore. Others like mermaids, fairies, robots, plants sims imaginary friend. Don't have a lot a lore that c I can not see in separate game packs.I can see a big expansion pack.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    I didn’t really get into the mermaids in Sims 3. Not my type of supernatural I guess I prefer edgier ones. Mermaids in a Sims game will always be more like the Disney imagining than the lore. I would be cool with having mermaids that eat Sims, but that’s definitely never going to happen lol
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    I didn’t really get into the mermaids in Sims 3. Not my type of supernatural I guess I prefer edgier ones. Mermaids in a Sims game will always be more like the Disney imagining than the lore. I would be cool with having mermaids that eat Sims, but that’s definitely never going to happen lol

Why not, though? The dark form options we had for vampires had some really evil-looking options. And sirens are a thing. They're way more hardcore than the Andersen/Disney mermaids
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    Personally, I'm going to get hate for this. They're not a lot of life states that could fit into game packs. People keep using Vampires. Ignoring that vampires had a lot of pop culture, and lore. Others like mermaids, fairies, robots, plants sims imaginary friend. Don't have a lot a lore that c I can not see in separate game packs.I can see a big expansion pack.

I can see robots being in a GP actually. My reasons...
    • Buildable by sims in game (new skill, materials, workstation)
    • Many styles (steampunk, android, high-tech plumbot and potential for cybernetic sims)
    • Different types of motivity (hover, fly, bipedal, wheels/tracks)
    • Trait chips/software/hardware upgrades
    • Minor bots (RC toys/battle bots, household helpers etc)
  • GracieO312GracieO312 Posts: 1,291 Member
    @Horrorgirl6 I agree with you. I think if they leave out hotels (which is a theme that could totally fit into its own gamepack a la dine out) and just concentrate on ocean swimming and beach/sea activities as the main features of the pack they could pull of some decent merfolk/scuba diving. Some simmers have been begging for sea activities so maybe the devs heard that and decided to concentrate on sea/beach life for this pack...?? Plus I feel that if they were to include hotels that all the objects would have a tropical/beach theme to them - putting hotels into their own gamepack would leave room to create some more generic looking items making hotels far more versatile.
  • ElizabethMcElizabethMc Posts: 103 Member
    edited May 2019
    " Minor bots (RC toys/battle bots, household helpers etc)"

OMG drones that will take scenic pictures or group shots... !!!!!
    51933350_10157123903496029_4290593889716273152_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_oc=AQm2LuB9LApTdQSKlxPj0cx6XqQg9IesqTg0FX_Cs5sogqyRjcisK6oNSbsY0N0_9lwt4vNOYOiUqMNjNLvZACdN&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-1.xx&oh=6ab7359b62d930c33633ffd719730e38&oe=5D5F18F9
    Check out my Random Sims Skills Generator and more.
  • ZussageZussage Posts: 141 Member
    I think occult life states are best suited for their own GP, like Vampires. I think vampires showed how amazing they can be when given the individual attention, and it allows for realistic players to avoid them by just not buying the GP. When in an EP, it's a lot harder to avoid if you want all the other features.

That being said, I really DO hope if we get some kind of Island Paradise-like expansion, it has mermaids as a life state. This is the only occult I think deserves to be in an EP and would be unfair to have otherwise, and that's because they are dependent on a lot of interactions not available in the base game. Vampires, witches, werewolves, fairies, whatever have you, they can be added in. But Mermaids would likely require swimable ocean and dive spots: things that would unlock in a tropical EP if they add scuba diving, surfing, snorkeling, etc. To separate mermaids out from the EP into a separate GP would likely mean the GP would require you have this EP to get it. Unless they patched the base game to include these things (and why would they, it would defeat the purpose if buying the EP to begin with), I could see it being very controversial. Players would be forced to buy a whole EP for one GP they were interested in.

If we don't get mermaids in the EP, then I don't think we'd get them period for the reason above. I think they'd be too complex/controversial to add as their own GP later. And I don't pretend to think we will have very occult lifestate we had before in TS3. But, the players who like supernatural aspects are a big part of the fanbase and they've constantly gotten the short end of the stick this time around. And I don't want it at the expense of everyone else's happiness, I want it in addition to their happiness. I want realistic players to get university, and hotels, and a snowy vacation spot, and all that they ask for. I just hope, as a community, even if it means more waiting for us when something we wanted doesn't come out but something someone else did does, we can be happy for them and in return they can respect our disappointment.

I feel super natural players deserve, at the very least, witches, vampires, mermaids and werewolves before TS4 wraps up. I feel those four are very basic and offer enough different styles of play with differentiating enough themes to capitalize on. Of course I'd like everything, but I can see them skipping zombies, fairies, and genies more easily. And I think they do want to start adding them back in. With the Strangerville GP and the recent poll asking what the top lifestate was, it tells me they are aware of the demand and trying to ease into it.

In my mind, mermaids would fit right in this EP and be one of the few Lifestates I think shouldn't be in their own GP. It would be great though, if they made it so that mermaids didn't appear in the game unless you did a simple but specific action (like read a book on mermaid folklore or splash seawater on a mermaid statue in town). That way, realistic players wouldn't be bothered by them and occult players could still enjoy them! In theory, they wouldn't even take that much to make. You could essentially take the concept of vampires and re-skin it by replacing the dark form with a sea form and swapping out the abilities. It would be mostly cosmetic: still a lot of animations to make and brainstorm, but you wouldn't be coding it from the ground up!
  • FallenPrinceFallenPrince Posts: 928 Member
    Same. Honestly, Island Paradise was one of the best sims experiences I've had in general. The exploration which lead to discovery of mermaids was so incredibly fun.
  • RedSunBluesRedSunBlues Posts: 143 Member
    edited May 2019
    I hope we get ladders! They came with island paradise last time, aaaaahhhhh that woulds be so amazing, call me crazy but I think I'd honestly buy it JUST for that.

Also mermaids are amazing and there are different types we could make, either more fish like, or less, with tails or just leg scales, cute helpful collectors, or beautiful evil tricksters. Im happy with any or all of it.

Lol how funny would it be if they gave us some mermaids where the top half is the fish XD
  • ZussageZussage Posts: 141 Member
    I hope we get ladders! They came with island paradise last time, aaaaahhhhh that woulds be so amazing, call me crazy but I think I'd honestly buy it JUST for that.

So many tiny-house builds would benefit.
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    If every occult was confined to being created in CAS, then players who don't want occults simply don;t make them for their game and they can still have the build/buy stuff.

If an occult requires a head occult like Vampires needed Vlad, that sim could be placed in our library for us to put into our game if we desired them in it. No toggles required.
  • JadesimmerJadesimmer Posts: 76 Member
    Yay, mermaids and deep ocean with creatures that lets sim to discover. Possible to add a new diving skill?
    4kTG3iX.png
  • cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    i'll be rather upset if they dont have mermaids in this tbh. i really love mermaids and i was going to buy sims 3 initially cause they had them but i ultimately went with 4 with the hopes that they would eventually add them.
    edited May 2019

Sorry but that's just objectively false. Mermaids, fairies, and robots have a lot of lore. Lore can also be created, the devs could add their own that fits TS4. Mermaids could come with their own underwater world and powers like vampires do. Around the world there are different versions of mermaids and sirens who are dark and malevolent, not cute Disney type mermaids who only sing which is what you're probably thinking about.

And I suggest you look into Irish and Scottish mythology about fairies. They are far more than tiny people with wings and have arguably the most lore of all fantasy species. As for robots, haven't you ever seen a movie lmao? Anything involving advanced technology and artificial intelligence works as lore for them.

I really dont understand this belief among many in the sims community that only Vampires have enough individuality to get their own pack. Most of the lifestates could easily have their own GP. It's just that y'all dont know much about the other supernaturals to care for them , and mainstream media promotes vampire, werewolf (and lately, witch) stories more than any other mythological creature so you're convinced there is "better" content for them.
    mika wrote: »

Sorry but that's just objectively false. Mermaids, fairies, and robots have a lot of lore. Lore can also be created, the devs could add their own that fits TS4. Mermaids could come with their own underwater world and powers like vampires do. Around the world there are different versions of mermaids and sirens who are dark and malevolent, not cute Disney type mermaids who only sing which is what you're probably thinking about.

And I suggest you look into Irish and Scottish mythology about fairies. They are far more than tiny people with wings and have arguably the most lore of all fantasy species. As for robots, haven't you ever seen a movie lmao? Anything involving advanced technology and artificial intelligence works as lore for them.

I really dont understand this belief among many in the sims community that only Vampires have enough individuality to get their own pack. Most of the lifestates could easily have their own GP. It's just that y'all dont know much about the other supernaturals to care for them , and mainstream media promotes vampire, werewolf (and lately, witch) stories more than any other mythological creature so you're convinced there is "better" content for them.

Did you had to be snarky? Yes I know they are lore from other countries.I have read some of them.Im fan of monsters,and supernatural creatures.To me there is still not a lot of lore or pop culture that can go to separate pack.Witches I can see maybe.Faries no and mermaids. I did not also said they can't be dark or evil.

There also stuff you can't do in gameplay.Take the sirens? What can you do with Sirens. You can't kill anybody in the game . I guess you can make the power to make a sim fall in love with you

Also, my point is not every supernatural creature can be in their own pack. Do you rely believe stuff like Genie, plant sims, imaginary friends, and every sim life stage can be in their own pack.I personally don't.

Please stop judging me or others, because I don't have the same opinion as you do.
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I agree with you @Horrorgirl6 Not every occult has enough background to fill a GP. Many would do well added to an EP. I hope merfolk are a part of a tropical pack, it just makes sense. Plus, if we get occults in EP's where they fit, we won't get a glut of occults at one time and they can be added into our game at a pace that we can handle.

And yes, they were very rude, take it from someone who knows. :D
  • ElizabethMcElizabethMc Posts: 103 Member
    Now, now. Mika was not rude or snarky at all. She stated her opinion strongly and well, and included facts. Let's play nice, simmers.
    51933350_10157123903496029_4290593889716273152_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_oc=AQm2LuB9LApTdQSKlxPj0cx6XqQg9IesqTg0FX_Cs5sogqyRjcisK6oNSbsY0N0_9lwt4vNOYOiUqMNjNLvZACdN&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-1.xx&oh=6ab7359b62d930c33633ffd719730e38&oe=5D5F18F9
    Check out my Random Sims Skills Generator and more.
    edited May 2019
    Now, now. Mika was not rude or snarky at all. She stated her opinion strongly and well, and included facts. Let's play nice, simmers.

Apparently disagreeing is rude lmao. Those two (especially Dannydanbo) have attacked me for my opinion and on my own threads before so I honestly should have just blocked/reported them by now, my mistake for engaging with immature people. Thanks for understanding I wasn't being rude.

mika wrote: »

Did you had to be snarky? Yes I know they are lore from other countries.I have read some of them.Im fan of monsters,and supernatural creatures.To me there is still not a lot of lore or pop culture that can go to separate pack.Witches I can see maybe.Faries no and mermaids. I did not also said they can't be dark or evil.

There also stuff you can't do in gameplay.Take the sirens? What can you do with Sirens. You can't kill anybody in the game . I guess you can make the power to make a sim fall in love with you

Also, my point is not every supernatural creature can be in their own pack. Do you rely believe stuff like Genie, plant sims, imaginary friends, and every sim life stage can be in their own pack.I personally don't.

Please stop judging me or others, because I don't have the same opinion as you do.

I wasn't being "snarky", I have not insulted you or your perspective at all. People are allowed to disagree with your claims, it's not my problem if you get offended by it.