Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I hope the pack has mermaids

124...Next

Comments

• Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Gordy wrote: »
    I'd rather occults be in-game, with a way to look for them. Just plopping in a leader or making our own can be dull. I'd like to go out of my way, maybe on an adventure, and look for mermaids in a special location. Reward my sim for seeking them out.

I can see a toggle working best. But honestly, aliens are usually well-hidden, and I never notice which sims are vampires at first glance - other than the few that dress like Goth fashion disasters. An even if I do find them, I don't think they ever impacted by gameplay.

I thought it would be fun if you plopped the GF koi pond down in the tropical world, there might be a chance of meeting a merperson. Maybe, if your sim falls in, a merperson could save their life. Or they could jump up and grab some food from our sims who are feeding the koi fish. :D
  • Options
    suzyl3suzyl3 Posts: 513 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    I'd rather occults be in-game, with a way to look for them. Just plopping in a leader or making our own can be dull. I'd like to go out of my way, maybe on an adventure, and look for mermaids in a special location. Reward my sim for seeking them out.

I can see a toggle working best. But honestly, aliens are usually well-hidden, and I never notice which sims are vampires at first glance - other than the few that dress like Goth fashion disasters. An even if I do find them, I don't think they ever impacted by gameplay.

I thought it would be fun if you plopped the GF koi pond down in the tropical world, there might be a chance of meeting a merperson. Maybe, if your sim falls in, a merperson could save their life. Or they could jump up and grab some food from our sims who are feeding the koi fish. :D

That would be so good. Hahaha
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    We could put mersims in the pond and keep them as pets. If you don't feed them every day, they eventually die and float to the top of the water.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    suzyl3suzyl3 Posts: 513 Member
    We could put mersims in the pond and keep them as pets. If you don't feed them every day, they eventually die and float to the top of the water.

Oyyyyyy. That would look rather... interesting haha
  • Options
    ZussageZussage Posts: 141 Member

I agree that it's funner when you have to explore and look: I liked that about TS3. I think it would be best if they didn't appear unless you did some specific action, kinda like you said: explore a certain cave, maybe pour sea water on a mermaid statue, etc. That way, people who don't like occults can just never trigger them in game.
  • Options
    IrdiwenIrdiwen Posts: 574 Member
    I don’t care for mermaids, but I’ll have to buy it if they’re in there because my 6-year old will love them! Simming with kids :smile:
    Simmer since 2000! Sims 1, Sims, 2, Sims 3, Sims 4. Legacy player at heart.
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    You wouldn't need a toggle if occults (in this case merfolk) start the game in CAS. If you want merfolk, create them and add them. If you don't, avoid them in CAS and they will never appear. If an occult needs a "leader" (like vampires have Vlad) then that sim can be placed in our library for us to add or not. This way, we get to choose.

No way. Occults need to be loud and proud, not hidden away like something to be ashamed of! If I have to deal with crap like laundry, toddlers making messes, babies being annoying in general, then realism players can deal with occults.
  • Options
    mariajane216mariajane216 Posts: 83 Member
    You wouldn't need a toggle if occults (in this case merfolk) start the game in CAS. If you want merfolk, create them and add them. If you don't, avoid them in CAS and they will never appear. If an occult needs a "leader" (like vampires have Vlad) then that sim can be placed in our library for us to add or not. This way, we get to choose.

No way. Occults need to be loud and proud, not hidden away like something to be ashamed of! If I have to deal with plum like laundry, toddlers making messes, babies being annoying in general, then realism players can deal with occults.

You don't have to play with laundry or babies if you don't want to
  • Options
    ZussageZussage Posts: 141 Member

No way. Occults need to be loud and proud, not hidden away like something to be ashamed of! If I have to deal with plum like laundry, toddlers making messes, babies being annoying in general, then realism players can deal with occults.

You don't have to play with laundry or babies if you don't want to

The irony in your statement is that you can say the same thing about occults. I think that's the point they were trying to make.

Instead of just accepting that people like different things so they get put in the game, and learning to make concessions, everybody points the finger at everyone else to deal with it. (I shouldn't say everyone, but it's a common occurrence or at the very least a loud one.)

Yes, instead of complaining about toddlers making messes, they could just, not have babies or immediately age them up. BUT so can people who don't like Occults. Don't like them? Don't buy vampires! Don't like aliens? Don't interact with them! It goes both ways, and no matter how you slice it, the things one has to do to play the game they want will come with some inconveniences. We need to start appreciating each other instead of constantly pointing the finger. We can sympathize when someone is disappointed and still be happy for something we wanted and vice versa.

The fact is, occults have been super neglected in TS4. It's totally okay if you don't want them and won't miss them, but I think people could be a little more sympathetic to each other. I have no desire for a university expansion personally, but I understand those who want it and would be upset if the next EP isn't universities. I hope one day soon they will get their expansion. And if the next EP is universities, even though I'll be disappointed it's not something I want, I'll be happy that they are enjoying it. Like, some people get so upset that not every expansion released it not something they personally wanted. Like, get angry, be disappointed, rant, but is it too much to say at the end of it "I'm happy for you?"

I feel like some people just get mad at people for liking the things they like. Don't be mad someone wants toddlers, or witches and are put in the game because of it.
  • Options
    Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    edited May 2019
    GGgkkg wrote: »
    Personally, I'm going to get hate for this. They're not a lot of life states that could fit into game packs. People keep using Vampires. Ignoring that vampires had a lot of pop culture, and lore. Others like mermaids, fairies, robots, plants sims imaginary friend. Don't have a lot a lore that c I can not see in separate game packs.I can see a big expansion pack.

I also have to disagree with this. Faeries, witches, merfolk, robots, etc. have held special positions in both general media and their own specialized lore for centuries. I do agree, however, that vampire lore is more accessible, especially with the media attention they've gotten in recent years, and as such they were probably low-hanging fruit for EA, easy to implement with fun lore things like garlic and reflections, ties to the vampire state which there may not be as immediate equivalents for with other occult types.

With all that said, however, I'm disappointed werewolves have yet to make a comeback. At the end of the day, all I can do is be thankful for what we are given, but how non-vampire occult states have been handled thus far (i.e. not included at all or, as with aliens, hardly anything they can do) just seems like EA ignoring a sizable demographic of the fanbase. Although, as a supernatural fan, I also find it ridiculous that we don't have an occult toggle yet. Maybe if we do get some dedicated occult pack, but I'm not holding my breath. :(

On-topic, mermaids would be AWESOME but, not holding my breath for them either.
    Briana2425 wrote: »
    What would mermaids do exactly?

I suppose this comes back to the question about "lore". There's plenty they could do: siren song (to quickly increase friendship / romance and/or lure a sim to their watery grave, though somehow I doubt that last part would be implemented [although Get Famous introduced sims being eaten by sharks so who knows???]), communicate with aquatic life, explore hidden away underwater areas (similar to hidden locations already in the game), perhaps increased fishing and fitness gain (fitness from swimming all the time) and find underwater collectables, maybe even turn other sims into merfolk. EA could play up the tides + moon connection and make them similar to vampires, stronger in moonlight with increased / enhanced powers. While not the same, they could create a link between merfolk and selkies, have them appear as seals whenever they're on land and transform when in water. There's a lot that could be done with mermaids, if EA really wants to include them and make them any good, here's hoping.

That's good but how would it be under water? Like what would they eat, and how would they sleep? Then traveling from land to water I can see how in Sims 3 because it was open world but in Sims 4 we'll transform into merfolk and have a loading screen n to go under water because it would be a world. I'm curious.
  • Options
    GracieO312GracieO312 Posts: 1,292 Member
    They could sleep in giant clam shells similar to vampire coffins and the pods from Get Famous? They could plant and eat kelp like in the TS3...
  • Options
    Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    edited May 2019
    GracieO312 wrote: »
    They could sleep in giant clam shells similar to vampire coffins and the pods from Get Famous? They could plant and eat kelp like in the TS3...

Oh yeah mermaids beds are giant clams haha I forgot but didn't know they ate kelp learn something new. Thanks.
  • Options
    GracieO312GracieO312 Posts: 1,292 Member
    You're welcome :)
  • Options
    AngelluluAngellulu Posts: 634 Member
    I'd definitely love to have mermaids! <3:D All the votes wooo! I seriously miss more supernatural states, just having aliens and vampires is boring. Yes, vampires this time around are AMAZING but I want more! Witches, mermaids, fairies, etc. Cmon already, I need them! Been waiting for so long, supernatural sims are literally my most favorite thing about Sims series. So it being taken away takes away that joy for me... joy of discovering what kind of new supernatural pack comes with. :s
    Please, bring them back...