Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you start a new game?

I keep starting a new game with two sims and sometimes a toddler, sometimes a pet, and then building a house for them before getting bored after a few days in game and starting again. I try to make my sims different but tbh they’re often very similar, especially the male sims since I much prefer playing female sims (my poor sims guys are often clones slightly modified lol)
I intend to play slow and enjoy it but I just speed through until another baby then get bored

Obviously I’m doing something that’s not working for me, so how do you start? With one sim? Do you take hours in CAS? Do you have a clear backstory? Idk what to do

Comments

• Options
    ohSnapohSnap Posts: 66 Member
    You're not doing anything wrong - one of the joys of the game is that there's so many ways to play!

Maybe just try something different. Have one single sim in a starter apartment and build up towards the happy (or not so!) family, instead of starting with it.

I find having a goal or a target helps keep me interested - find a partner, adopt a pet, have a baby and so on.

I've also been trying things I've never done before; careers, lots, playstyles and so on.

I started my first generational playthrough not long ago and I'm really enjoying it.
    I want to try playing rotationally and seeing if I can get into it - I think it'll be easier for me to branch out into doing things I haven't done before, like having a criminal sim!

I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions of new things to try :)
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    sunspriter wrote: »
    I keep starting a new game with two sims and sometimes a toddler, sometimes a pet, and then building a house for them before getting bored after a few days in game and starting again. I try to make my sims different but tbh they’re often very similar, especially the male sims since I much prefer playing female sims (my poor sims guys are often clones slightly modified lol)
    I intend to play slow and enjoy it but I just speed through until another baby then get bored

Obviously I’m doing something that’s not working for me, so how do you start? With one sim? Do you take hours in CAS? Do you have a clear backstory? Idk what to do

I have different ways of playing different saves, each has it's own theme. You stated that you like creating females, why not either randomize a male (let the game decide) or pluck one from the gallery. Maybe the randomness of a male you didn't create might add some flavor. And take the ugly ones too. They can be the most fun. Think of how the kids will turn out.

If you really want something fun, try creating (I'll call her Mindy) Mindy and a random guy and play them in one world. Then, give your created Mindy a new man and move them into yet another world. Then repeat with a new guy until all your worlds have a Mindy and guy living life. Then, you can compare how the Mindys are doing and which ones are thriving and which ones aren't.

But beware. If your Mindys meet, your game will explode! Kidding. :D
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    You might want to try a challenge. I'm doing the 100 baby challenge and it's a lot of fun. The other thing I like to do is play rotationally. I make a bunch of different families I want to play and put them all into the same game save file and turn aging off. Then I play each of them for two days and when I get to the last one I turn aging on for 2 days so they've all gone up two days by the time I get to them again. I give each file a totally different storyline and I do different careers so that I can try out all the different careers and stuff.
  • Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    Might help to have a challenge or look for one where you can alter the rules to make them what you prefer, me though I like a story in mind or to make one with the character playing with cc. Mccc helps too as I usually let it mess with unplayed sims a few days of just basic simming with a family popping out kids then I may have things to choose from if nothing comes to mind. Lilsimsie and plumbella have save files and instructions for installing them with new sims and builds or makeovers I think Plumbella put more work into hers but just playing there and then having my own saves is fun aside from taking a break and thinking of stuff I might want to play out. If nothing works then maybe you just enjoy starting fresh a lot which is nice too just to use them for a little while before you move on.

One other thing have a save file set for long, and full seasons if you have seasons, then have another save for the middle setting and another save that is the shortest bounce between them and see if stories keep you going or just have a legacy. Set a goal for a sim week or two if you're still interested keep adding more time and when it's done it's done.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    edited May 2019
    I don't think there is a wrong way to play. I do different things and have a few game saves.

First I started a new generational family just a few days ago. My goal is 10 generations. I was half way there with my old game but the hubby had the computer hardware updated and I lost my game files. So I start with a couple and randomize their look. Start with a starter home and build it as the family grows.

In another game I play with pre-mades bcuz I really some of them and want to get to know them better and see where their story goes.

When new content is introduced I start a new game and try out the new stuff with one sim.

I have more but I don't stick to just one game one family. It can get boring when I play the same family for long periods of time. Which is probably why it takes me forever to do generational play bcuz I don't constantly play the same family. I play roationally and I play with various Sims of all shapes colors sizes and occult.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • Options
    SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 963 Member
    I don't usually start a new game unless I have a specific idea in mind, but ideas for me can vary widely. It can be as simple as "I want a sim who lives in a sealed box and never talks to anyone but online!" or as convoluted as "I want to remake my New Mexico town from The Sims 2!!" which would entail editing every single townie to give theme appropriate Anglo-Hispanic names. I spend more time in CAS making outfits for sims than I do editing their face, really...
  • Options
    sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    edited May 2019
    My current game started with 3 separate households. Some made in CAS others were gallery finds. The only thing they have in common is a bit of a backstory. I play each household for a week.

I find that having a backstory gives me something to use as a jumping off point or a direction to take.

For example, one of the households was a ya Hispanic gay male and his elderly mother. His father was never in the picture, so growing up he had to work at the same business where his mother was employed. There was never much money, but he did learn about business from the owner of the company. He is in the business career and is ambitious and looking for love. He wants to marry and adopt children, he wants a big family, a family unlike the one he grew up in.
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I find that I play best when I have a backstory/goal in mind fr the household. Otherwise I get bored quickly. I try to take my time and plan out the families and their personalities and lives days or even weeks before I actually make them and start playing.
  • Options
    JC1979JC1979 Posts: 491 Member
    My current save is due because of a ”single parent and broke” type challenge; which now I’m currently on a 3rd generation going into the 4th which has resulted in A LOT of rotational play surrounding the original household. So if you’re bored, try doing a challenge like other comments have mentioned.
  • Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    I like to download mods and CC to spice up my game a little bit (more so mods, CC is just too much of a hassle for me to use often). So if you're not opposed to this, getting some mods by KawaiiStacie, Sacrificial, Littlemssam, and many others can make gameplay much more fun, exciting, and dramatic.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    CorenrenCorenren Posts: 592 Member
    edited May 2019
    I tend to start a single sim and do a rags to riches style of game play. I find that starting my sim with nothing and working them up in the world really helps me get more attached to them. I usually play a sim until one of their children is a teen, then I focus on the teen more than my original sim.

When I get really really bored of game play, I just build. I like to google pictures of nice houses and recreate them in game.
    2ynjgg8.png
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    ohSnap wrote: »
    You're not doing anything wrong - one of the joys of the game is that there's so many ways to play!

Maybe just try something different. Have one single sim in a starter apartment and build up towards the happy (or not so!) family, instead of starting with it.

I find having a goal or a target helps keep me interested - find a partner, adopt a pet, have a baby and so on.

I've also been trying things I've never done before; careers, lots, playstyles and so on.

I started my first generational playthrough not long ago and I'm really enjoying it.
    I want to try playing rotationally and seeing if I can get into it - I think it'll be easier for me to branch out into doing things I haven't done before, like having a criminal sim!

A good way to start playing rotationally is to start with one family, then as the kids grow up and move out, add them to the rotation. That way you can ease into it gradually. I've done that; eventually I cut loose the elders and let fate and MCCC take their toll. B)
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    PlumbobCrossingPlumbobCrossing Posts: 8,455 Member
    Have you tried any challenges? That’s what I have recently started because I was tired of my typical gameplay style as well. It really does help you get out of your rut and makes you try new things and explore parts of the game you haven’t before.
  • Options
    eeeyuneeeyun Posts: 45 Member
    This used to be how exactly I felt when I played sims! I always used to make a happy couple in CAS, buy a fancy house in Willow Creek (a lot of the time with motherlode :D) and have them settle down and have kids. Most of the time I didn't even glance at build/buy mode and bought the house furnished, and didn't even focus on my sim's career. The way I found the game more enjoyable to play was by going out of my comfort zone and making challenges. I started off a legacy with a sim who had $0 and no house. It made me want to keep playing to try and buy a nice house. Also, by not making your sim a partner you have a chance to go on dates with different townies rather than being married to them straight away. Also, when my sims have kids I try to make them as different as possible traits wise (clumsy, kleptomaniac, dog lover, etc) and tried to plan out a clear life goal for each sim (deciding to make them a vet, criminal, celebrity, scientist when they grow up) to try and vary what type of things happen to them.

Hope this helped :)
  • Options
    sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    ohSnap wrote: »

A good way to start playing rotationally is to start with one family, then as the kids grow up and move out, add them to the rotation. That way you can ease into it gradually. I've done that; eventually I cut loose the elders and let fate and MCCC take their toll. B)

I play rotationally, I can't help it, once my sim gets a romantic interest I have to play them to start leveling up their career. And, when my sim makes a friend, I have to play them so they have skills and are not at entry level, plus, if my sim is married or involved, I feel bad if their friends are not also romantically involved. Yes, it's a vicious cycle.
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • Options
    BigCatlover26BigCatlover26 Posts: 215 Member
    I start with be spending HOURS in CAS and some days I save a sim at a certain point and then come back to it the next day. I spend a long time creating a sim because then I feel like I’m investing ten times more into their backstory.

In my opinion a strong backstory is the foundation of how you are invested in a sim. With a background you already have a personality for your sim. And how your sim will act, and dress, and what they like or hate. Their personal issues what they’ve been through etc. And before I actually play with a sim I create more sims to go with my main sim backstory and I add and delete venues so it’s not the same ones over and over again. And all of that is just the setup which takes couple a days. But by doing this when I play I by then have so many ideals running in my mind and write them and I just be so excited.

And now it comes to the actually playing it out. The Sims 4 gameplay at times is soooo boring if you dont use your imagination. In other sims games imagination wasn’t really necessary because it had so may surprises and activities but in Sims 4 it lacks. So use your imagination with your storytelling. Want a sim to cheat then cheat the relationship, when the sim to get fired out of nowhere, let them get fired, want the sim to get so drunk and accidentally get pregnant then don’t know who the baby daddy is then do it ohh and they also married so they have that on them DO IT!!

I think playing with the white picket fence and happy feelings is repetitive and boring. So stir the pot up a little bit you’ll be surprise how much fun you have.
  • Options
    SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member
    I get bored easily too. I couldn't tell you how many times I have spent hours getting a household, story, and world set up, only to get bored.

I agree with everyone saying try a challenge. One of my longest running saves started off as the "I'm a Lover" challenge but when I got to the second generation, I was so attached to the sims. I couldn't bring myself to follow the rules. That save file has a few firsts for me. It was the first challenge I had tried, the longest lasting save, and the first time trying rotational play. Even though I quit the challenge, it sparked a lot of other ways to play. I haven't played that family for a while now (mostly because I've been building a lot) but it's still my go-to file.

I'm not really a challenge player but sometimes I'll check them out just to spark an idea. The ones that require certain traits or aspirations may help, even if you don't actually do the challenge.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Options
    LissyK9LissyK9 Posts: 205 Member
    I almost always start with just one sim and no money cheats, and build my way up from there. I like building their house to suit their personality and needs as their family grows. I like to think that I like to play legacies and challenges, but it's rare for me to ever get past a second generations.

I do have a whole note file of ideas that I get for my gameplay, from designing sims around color schemes, to playing a personality type that spans packs and isn't technically in the game. I think my next goal is to play a sim from birth and make them a social butterfly & fashion focused sim. I want them to own a retail store and do the fashion career that game with the get famous patch. Basically, I always find it easier to stay engaged when I have a goal for my game.
  • Options
    EctotechbiologyEctotechbiology Posts: 5 New Member
    I recommend a trait randomizer, and possibly a number randomizer to see how many sims in your household and what traits they have. I've found that builds story for me. Try playing things you haven't before: evil genius sims with a serial romantic trait. Getting out of that rut is about starting different.

Also, set some goals or challenges for yourself, or follow a challenge someone else has made. It's a great way to feel like you've accomplished something. Sometimes sandbox games need a bit more structure to feel worth your time, and I 100% get that every now and again.
  • Options
    MoonCrossWarrior22MoonCrossWarrior22 Posts: 721 Member
    edited May 2019
    I start my game with 1 sim or when doing Incarnation Challenge; I start off as a baby with 2 or 1 parent and maybe siblings; depends on where the dice of fate rolls. :D
    In normal gameplay I'd give my sim a random appearance.
    If you are interested in challenges; check out the Reincarnation challenge right at this link! here! | If you want spectator mode; go to this link. (for sims 3) here
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    It depends on the file, some are legacy and some are challenge.
  • Options
    MindsimscreateMindsimscreate Posts: 414 Member
    I often play like this as well, even when I don’t intend to. For example, I decided I was done playing this same boring typical family and I wanted so diversity. So I plucked a female sim from the gallery, edited her a little to my liking, and (I’ll admit I used money cheats) moved her into a nice cottage in Windenburg. I was set on her not having children or getting married but... I did want her to have a boyfriend considering she was still straight. So, I shipped her off onto a blind date. She met a “proper celebrity” named Dirk Dreamer and he was also wealthy ($200,000 ish) so even though I’m very much not a gold digger in real life... things happen in sims... let’s just say she wanted a better life for her family so she married him right away instead of saying she’s a gold digger. So, they married and moved into a fancy $150k island windenburgian house- and I was so happy about this upgrade. I then had them adopt a cat, a baby girl named Jani, and have two baby boys (all quite close together but smh). Anyways, the whole point of me saying this is I now play the “perfect family”, but because I didn’t make them right off the bat and let my sim Jemma find success for herself it is a lot funnier. Just do different things to get the same family result since that’s obviously what you’re looking to play. Also, if you’re like me you’re probably desperately waiting for sims 5 so you won’t be bored anymore :/ sims 4’s just not it...
  • Options
    Cuppytale12345Cuppytale12345 Posts: 5 New Member
    HOW DO I START A GAME FROM HERE!!!! TELL ME NOW PLZ! HALP ME!
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,605 Member
    HOW DO I START A GAME FROM HERE!!!! TELL ME NOW PLZ! HALP ME!

Hello @Cuppytale12345 Welcome to the forums :)
    You need to load the Sims 4 game, then on the left hand side of the main screen there is a button labeled “ new game “ that you can press to start a new game.
  • Options
    Cuppytale12345Cuppytale12345 Posts: 5 New Member
    thank you