Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The sims should be like "pets" or "puppets" ?

LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
Hi,

I noticed that the sims don't communicate with the player anymore, they become a little more toys to control instead of living beings to help.
In real life, we don't behave the same way with our pets than with the objects, these behaviors give 2 different game experiences.

My question is what do you prefer ? The sims should be like "pets" or "puppets" ? How do you see them ?

Post edited by LeGardePourpre on

The sims should be like "pets" or "puppets" ? 86 votes

"Pets" : A living being obeying and disobeying, just they need your help to be happy.
46%
LeGardePourpreBluefairy286IcewolfIceyJColorist40lisamwittxoJessisimm621BloosmooinvisiblgirlNRowedrake_mccartyScarbo27zagboorulesspice3TrashDeBluncjupkmnhalloweenchildLissyK9CourtneyViolet 40 votes
"Puppets" : An obedient object. What makes you happy is more important, that is their purpose.
53%
icmnfrshoveronPlayerSinger2010Isb917CorkysPetalsasimbsimAnmirlakerryemmiebethsekojranaKirbySkywalkerLizzychicagoN0NoTToN0NJennyggBriel24taydevRosybearduhboy2u2FroilCaityTrinaMissmagoo2 46 votes

Comments

• Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    "Puppets" : An obedient object. What makes you happy is more important, that is their purpose.
    There is a stat that tracks how many times Sims ignore your commands. I thought that was an interesting discovery, yet confusing, because they’re supposed to do what you direct them to do by definition sooooo why does the game track how many times they don’t? Why are they even able to ignore your commands?
  • Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    Puppets. I hate when I tell sims to do something and they go the other direction. Especially when the command I give is, "Go pee before you wet yourself" and they choose....to get coffee instead :/
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    NRoweNRowe Posts: 7,898 Member
    "Pets" : A living being obeying and disobeying, just they need your help to be happy.
    I don’t think of my Sims a pets per se. But I like when they have a bit of their own personality and ideas. Sometimes I like when they won’t do what I asked.
  • Options
    Evie0602Evie0602 Posts: 634 Member
    I play with autonomy off because I want my sims to do exactly what I tell them to do. I think of my sims like dolls and I don't want them doing anything on their own.
  • Options
    simm621simm621 Posts: 1,037 Member
    I went back and played the sims 2 a couple of weeks ago. I had my sim do a few flirts with another and she looked at me and pumped her arms because she liked the interaction I gave her or when I told her to do something she clearly didn't want to like cleaning, she complained. I totally forgot they did that and I really wish they would do it in 4. It made them feel like they just had that little bit more character than they do now.
    Gallery ID: wiccanwonder
  • Options
    Missmagoo2Missmagoo2 Posts: 1,255 Member
    Puppets. I came for a "life/god" simulation.
    I come with a story planned and I have things that I want to happen. It would be quite frustrating for the sims to have a "mind of their own". I don't think I'd enjoy it as much. It wouldn't be a very "involved" game.
    Like SJM? Like Kpop? Like Greek Mythology?
    ☆゚.*・。゚ Follow me on the gallery ☆゚.*・。゚ Origin ID: Missmagoo2
    O(≧▽≦)O

(I work with CC so make sure you check that box to see my "hidden" content!)

L'uinversSims profile: https://luniversims.fr/profile/46983-missmagoo2/
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,343 Member
    I prefer my sims to not comment my commands in any way, because that would draw me into the game as a character, instead of hovering over the action.

For example why did Gavin and North brawl today? Because they dislike each other and because Gavin thinks North isn't good enough a girlfriend for his BFF Daniel. Now had he pumped his hands and winked at me before attacking, the whole drama would have gotten lost, because in this case the sims would have brawled not because of their issues, but because I told them. That's a different dimension. They might even have disliked having to fight each other, what would have gone 100% against the character they have in my head.

Or when the sims move in in Sims 2 and still have autonomy for the few seconds before I take that away, they clap at a random object. At that moment I feel like their interior architect instead of someone watching (or writing the expose to) a movie.

Long story short, sims as pets and nurture gameplay kill the immersion for me.
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    There is a stat that tracks how many times Sims ignore your commands. I thought that was an interesting discovery, yet confusing, because they’re supposed to do what you direct them to do by definition sooooo why does the game track how many times they don’t? Why are they even able to ignore your commands?

They did it a lot in Sims 2. Especially when I would que up about three or four things for them to do (simple ones like taking care of their needs). Do two and drop the next and just do what they want. Like they're somewhat aware that someone may be controlling them. Kinda funky really. :#
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I want them to do what I say.
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,096 Member
    edited April 2019
    I wasn't sure how to answer this. I want them to always do what I say. I hate it when they drop actions from the queue. BUT, I answered as pets because I miss the little quirks Sims used to have. Following the camera with their eyes if you told them to pose, looking at the camera and rocking on their feet if they were waiting for you to tell them something, complaining at the camera or pumping their fists in delight at something you told them that they disliked or liked.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I like them to do what I say but at the same time I wouldn't like for them to have no autonomy. Having sims as puppets that can only survive by being told what to do is not how I want my sims to be. I like that they can decide for themselves sometimes.
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited April 2019
    Chazzzy wrote: »

Sims have been able to do that since The Sims 1. When needs get low, they'd look at the player, wave their hands frantically, then go off to do something other than what you told them. It may have been a feature in TS2, also. I wasn't aware that it had been brought to TS4, however. In this game it just looks like cancelled interactions.
  • Options
    siminettesiminette Posts: 160 Member
    I want them to do what I want to. I already check or uncheck (don't remember) the box for them to have no autonomy XD
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Evie0602 wrote: »
    I play with autonomy off because I want my sims to do exactly what I tell them to do. I think of my sims like dolls and I don't want them doing anything on their own.

It's funny - I play with autonomy off, too, for the same reason, but I chose 'pets' because I don't mind if they complain a little. And they do still complain at times, usually when I won't let them do something they desperately need to do (like use the toilet when I know they've got just a eyelash left to complete a skill level). I find it amusing when they jump out of the shower and throw a little hissy because they've splashed water all over the floor and now, it's wet (as if this is my fault!).

Part of the reason they don't complain as much now is that the routing is better. Quite often, an item gets dropped from the queue because another Sim is in the way. In S3, they'd wait, which is one of the reasons you'd end up with crashes when NPCs got stalled in interminable actions. They don't waste time throwing their hands up and stomping around when you tell them to do something that is impossible, they just drop it from the queue. (They give their feedback in thought bubbles - you'll see a question mark if they can't do what you want them to do.)

Also, they're not as, I don't know - picky? In previous games, you had to get the kids into a good mood to do homework; now, as long as their fun isn't in the red and they're not suffering from total emotional meltdown, you can make them do it. I very rarely have an action greyed out because a Sim is too sad or tense or whatever to do it.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    KirbySkywalkerKirbySkywalker Posts: 511 Member
    Puppet. Just 1, the one I’m controlling. I like to play it like a video game where I control my player and the rest are NPCs who go about their daily business that I can interact with.
  • Options
    bythedreadwolfbythedreadwolf Posts: 832 Member
    simm621 wrote: »
    I went back and played the sims 2 a couple of weeks ago. I had my sim do a few flirts with another and she looked at me and pumped her arms because she liked the interaction I gave her or when I told her to do something she clearly didn't want to like cleaning, she complained. I totally forgot they did that and I really wish they would do it in 4. It made them feel like they just had that little bit more character than they do now.

And I find that quite cute, but I guess that's part of the charm in TS2. I personally wouldn't want that in TS4. I guess my playstyle since TS2 has changed. I'm more of a control freak now, and I think having the sims break the 4th wall by interacting with the player like that is not my thing anymore. And I certainly don't want sims cancelling the things that I tell them to do. I mean, if you have autonomy on, then maybe that makes sense, but I play with it off for a reason, I expect them to follow my commands and stop with their weird shenanigans. TS4's autonomy is a special kind of nightmare.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    I've been more of "puppets" person in the past, but would currently pick "pets". I would like my sims to have a say who they're romantically interested for example.
  • Options
    halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    I have to say that I agree with a lot of the other commenters here about how the sims used to have personality, like how they'd approve or disapprove of certain actions. Makes me realise how much I miss it.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Options
    halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    [/quote]TS4's autonomy is a special kind of nightmare.[/quote]

Yeah, it's a bit like that, "hey game I want to play you, not watch you play yourself..." One could argue it's a weird quirk of sims being able to multitask, but again I'm not overly sure.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Options
    LindsaySeddon1LindsaySeddon1 Posts: 284 Member
    A very tough choice, but I went for pets because even though I like a lot of control, I tend to end up playing in roughly the same way every time, and on the odd time they disobey, I usually enjoy the result or at least learn something new.
  • Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    I don't see them as either. I see them as people I'm in charge of and responsible for keeping alive. And who knows? Maybe I'm disobeying the person who's playing with me. There is a chance we're in a simulation you know.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,348 Member
    edited April 2019
    This was actually a difficult question to answer for me. I had to think about it for a while. Lol! :tongue:

When I first started playing the Sims (unfortunately, I missed out on the Sims 2 experience, and started with Sims 3) I originally played with them very much like pets. I even called them "my people pets". I enjoyed how they seemed to acknowledge me from time to time and was amused by their antics. But over time, and especially since I now play mostly Sims 4, my play style has become more and more story focused, and more geared toward getting exactly the screen-shots I want. This is just how I'm having fun with it now. And I tend to get annoyed now when they don't do what I want, and I use "autonomy off" a lot, though I usually turn it back on when I'm done getting the screen shots I want, because I do still enjoy seeing what they will choose to do on their own.

I think what I really want is for them to be puppets when I want puppets, and pets when I want pets.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    This one was tough for me. I think I'm somewhere in the middle or perhaps neither like nerdfashion commented. I like my sims to obey me, but at the same time I like them to have and express their own personalities and thoughts/feelings, not behave like mindless dolls which I think sounds quite boring. I don't see them as pets though, more like virtual children. :D
  • Options
    jupkmnjupkmn Posts: 98 Member
    Difficult question, but maybe more pets because I want them to be happy. I never understood people who like to keep killing their sims or idk, use some mods like teen pregnancy or drug abuse.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Pets I guess. The purpose of Sims having A.I. is to give them a life, although Sims 4’s A.I. is really bad and does a bad job at making Sims with personality. They don’t communicate with the player like they used to, and they really don’t disobey either. Actions will cancel but that’s just a bad design, your sims will never actively disobey an order you have given them. In Sims 2 your sims would refuse to do anything if they were low in certain needs. In Sims 4 they will do what they are told, unless the action is cancelled by some other action.

A puppet requires complete and total input from the user to do anything. I think that is unenjoyable, but for players who want their sims to do nothing until directed they have an option already. I think Sims 4 sims are more puppets than pets, but I would prefer it the other way around.