Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do We Really Need Another Three Years? TS4 at Four Years Old

Comments

• Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited April 2019
    Cinebar wrote: »
    mirta000 wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    It made me laugh the way he did it. One day talking about a sims game to draw simmers in and then a few days later saying something else to a different audience. He used to do things like that here. I laughed because he hasn't changed. I never got his point of drawing people in and then not coming through. He was a company man, for the company and less about the player after he draws them in with a little tidbit (like free computer for our sims) then didn't do much else he had said. Paradox has always said they wouldn't do a Sims game - it was too big and too expensive for their company and for Colossal who only did city and building Simulations. They even stated their own games were Strategy games not life simulations. When Colossal wanted to do one - Paradox CEO came in the discussion and said that - so knowing how Paradox felt about the Sims then have him say what he said about wanting to do one - then a few days later basically saying what Paradox stated 4 years ago. Well it made me snicker anyway.

Truthfully I have no idea whether or not Paradox has had a change of heart or not about life simulation games - or even if Rod is serious about what he said - seeing in the past he'd say one thing then do something else. I just saw the same old Rod.

The last I've heard of Paradox and simulation games, they never said that they don't want to do one, they said that just as city simulation they want to build towards one by doing other games first and testing smaller systems out.

JNvEckd.png

Original comment about wanting to test systems out first is on the bottom, recent developments are on the top. It seems that Paradox is both asking their players have they played Sims and talking actively about life simulation.

Oh, goodness, let's hope Paradox doesn't look at TS4 as a good place or the first place to figure out how to build sandbox/single player/life simulators. (question in the survey)

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/821662/paradox-has-no-plans-on-releasing-a-sim-game-confirmed

This was back when a bunch of us simmers were talking with Colossal Order and Paradox about making a Sims game over on their forums when Shamus had said they would love to make a Sims game and the next thing we knew simmers were going there in droves - and this got stated by the CEO of Paradox in the midst of literally weeks of us talking with them. I was not there on that forum when it was said - Catloverplayer and some other simmers saw it first and linked to it through his post. But it very much was said by Paradox CEO.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    VageniusVagenius Posts: 487 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »
    It made me laugh the way he did it. One day talking about a sims game to draw simmers in and then a few days later saying something else to a different audience. He used to do things like that here. I laughed because he hasn't changed. I never got his point of drawing people in and then not coming through. He was a company man, for the company and less about the player after he draws them in with a little tidbit (like free computer for our sims) then didn't do much else he had said. Paradox has always said they wouldn't do a Sims game - it was too big and too expensive for their company and for Colossal who only did city and building Simulations. They even stated their own games were Strategy games not life simulations. When Colossal wanted to do one - Paradox CEO came in the discussion and said that - so knowing how Paradox felt about the Sims then have him say what he said about wanting to do one - then a few days later basically saying what Paradox stated 4 years ago. Well it made me snicker anyway.

Truthfully I have no idea whether or not Paradox has had a change of heart or not about life simulation games - or even if Rod is serious about what he said - seeing in the past he'd say one thing then do something else. I just saw the same old Rod.

The last I've heard of Paradox and simulation games, they never said that they don't want to do one, they said that just as city simulation they want to build towards one by doing other games first and testing smaller systems out.

JNvEckd.png

Original comment about wanting to test systems out first is on the bottom, recent developments are on the top. It seems that Paradox is both asking their players have they played Sims and talking actively about life simulation.

Oh, goodness, let's hope Paradox doesn't look at TS4 as a good place or the first place to figure out how to build sandbox/single player/life simulators. (question in the survey)

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/821662/paradox-has-no-plans-on-releasing-a-sim-game-confirmed

This was back when a bunch of us simmers were talking with Colossal Order and Paradox about making a Sims game over on their forums when Shamus had said they would love to make a Sims game and the next thing we knew simmers were going there in droves - and this got stated by the CEO of Paradox in the midst of literally weeks of us talking with them. I was not there on that forum when it was said - Catloverplayer and some other simmers saw it first and linked to it through his post. But it very much was said by Paradox CEO.

I remember that whole thing. Paradox did recently open a new studio though, Paradox Tectonic. Rod Humble is set to be lead over development. He was Linden Labs Second Life CEO and exec vice president of sims at EA. They haven't announced what the game is yet but most of the speculation is a sims competitor. The speculation comes from putting Rod in the position. It could be anything but maybe, just maybe The Sims will finally get some much needed competition.
  • Options
    chloejones92chloejones92 Posts: 913 Member
    edited April 2019
    I wish sims 5 would just hurry up I am still shocked at how disappointing sims 4 actually is.. even with all its packs.. I could play for hours on sims 1, sims 2 and sims 3 and never get bored yet with 4 i get bored in less then an hour.. Ive tried so many times to get into it and i just cant even after buying all the packs.

I wish they would just take the sims 2 personality and almost everything about it and then mix it with the sims 3 open worlds create a pattern, create a world, supernatural and then take some of the funny things from sims 1 & makin magic then lastly take the sims 4 graphics. I don't know why EA just doesn't create this hybrid of a game it would be a dream of many!
    I'm sure we all have things we would like to take from each game.
    My origin- chloejones92
    laddd44.gif
  • Options
    NAPK1NSNAPK1NS Posts: 116 Member
    I don’t want a sims 5 until the sims 4 has reached its potential. If the sims 5 happens to come out and happens to believe up to the standards of TS2 or 3, then I’ll buy it, but my faith isn’t exactly too high rn because I feel like we’ll be getting charged way too much for too little content.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    I wish sims 5 would just hurry up I am still shocked at how disappointing sims 4 actually is.. even with all its packs.. I could play for hours on sims 1, sims 2 and sims 3 and never get bored yet with 4 i get bored in less then an hour.. Ive tried so many times to get into it and i just cant even after buying all the packs.

I wish they would just take the sims 2 personality and almost everything about it and then mix it with the sims 3 open worlds create a pattern, create a world, supernatural and then take some of the funny things from sims 1 & makin magic then lastly take the sims 4 graphics. I don't know why EA just doesn't create this hybrid of a game it would be a dream of many!

What you are asking for is not really possible - seeing number 1 - every sims game was built on it's own specially built by EA/ Maxis game engine. What worked in a particular Sims game most likely could not work properly in any other one. Sims 1's game engine was a 2D Unity type game engine. Sims 2 was a 3 D game engine of a totally different style. Sims 3 was another advanced 3 D game engine combined from Sims 2 style engine and rebuilt for open world from the ground up. Sims 4 was a whole new concept and design based on Smart technology, AI control etc.

Number two - game engines like each four of the different game engines takes a long time on it's own to be designed and built from the ground up.

Seeing the call for new people to start work on a new Sims game only went out last Spring (and even that we are not sure was even for the Sims 5) - we just suspect or hope it is - as nothing has officially been stated or even leaked from EA and probably won't be up until the point is reached that the game engine is complete and the base game work is in a stage where it looks like it will be a go and EA officially announces it.

EA has never officially announced a new Sims game in production until it has at least 14 months before coming out - (usually longer - sims 4 was officially announced at the 2013 Gamescom and came out almost 14 months later but most people agree it was a mess because it came out too soon, was rushed, and very unfinished - and nobody wants that issue again. Keep in mind work on the game engine goes back to at least 2010 - when rumors first leaked - with even some people claiming before that even with the Olympus Project that started before Sims 3 was even finished.

But no matter what or how much we wished for all the best of all the sims games were in one game coming - technically that is not possible. There will always be more different than a like in a new game using the play of those games because of every game engine being different. Devs can try and duplicate some things but it will never be the same on a different game engine.

ETA - Say what you will about Sims 4 - I still think Sims 4 has the best Vamps and toddlers we have ever had and build mode is so much easier than it's ever been - I would really hate to lose these things in the next rendition and go back to what was these things in the earlier games - even as much as I love Sims 2 and 3, and parts of Sims 1 - I can not love them enough to be happy just playing what those games offer with out these things in this game. Keep in mind I could not even stand to play Sims 4 for the first 2 years it was out - it took toddlers and Vamps to bring me back - and now I get issues playing just those games. So - just like you even though I wish we could have bits and parts of all the games - realistically I know it cannot happen that way.

I know I want open world and color wheels. I want to build my own worlds but I don't want the difficulties of building with a fickle CAW, or the limits of Sims 2 build (Sims City 4 system), and desire the ease of Sims 4 build expanded to building our own worlds. I realize that is not possible in Sims 4 of course because of the world design - but it does not keep me from wishing it was possible. LOL.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    edited April 2019

1. Why do you expect any different quality for TS5 when TS4 is in the condition it is and you have hope from the same exact developers and publisher that somehow TS5 would turn out like the life simulator it should be concerning both players and developers visions and not just the developers? Not to mention, no major nor real improvements to TS4 has been made and the real reason is because the game engine was never meant to be used for a life simulator in the first place the way I see it. You cannot turn an apple into an orange.

2. Fewer polygon counts will have less detail. Sims and/or objects look more angular than round and smooth. Textures are also very lackluster and not much detail goes into that either from what I have seen. Everything looks very bland and unmemorable to me. TS4 is the only main PC game that included an art style...a stylized one. Which is different than graphics itself. Some will like the aesthetics of this unnecessary art style which for me aids to make light of the actual hardships of life when ironically it's supposed to be a life simulator. Why does it seem that everything is a joke in that game? And of course, some will not care at all for the aesthetic/overall tone of it's only sunshine and rainbows with sparkly glitter rain. Oh joy! Seriously, I have no idea how anyone can take anything in TS4 seriously with the so-called emotions whereas TS/TS2/TS3 all did so way better and intelligently besides realistically for the most part. And obviously, I will say TS3 emotions are the best I have ever seen so far in a video game run by A.I. with free-will that can literally learn and adapt from other Sims, the player and I guess the environment.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSRFnYpZD8I

In addition, the aesthetic can also have decent graphics or why are you paying the price for a so-called AAA game if gameplay itself lacks to keep one's attention span? (Edit: What? Sometimes words fail me. :D I'm trying to say just because TS4 has an art style does not mean that it is an excuse for the graphics to suffer. There are plenty of examples of video games that have different art styles that looks and plays flawlessly in tune with the whole experience. Everything is carefully designed for the appeal of the overall aesthetic of the game. One of the best examples, I think, being Journey. I still can't get over how everything comes together so beautifully.

Something pretty to look at but has no gameplay value is bad, something with gameplay value but not so pretty to look at is most likely tolerable, but something with both gameplay value and is pretty to look at will excel as some of the best games in my opinion.)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fbO2-egZ3U
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJsVaY19NhY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU3nNT4rcFg

Graphics and Aesthetics are two different things and is not one in the same.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oK8UTRgvJU
    I say aesthetics alone, is not the answer either. I think both graphics and aesthetics are equally important in order to achieve a good balance that sets the tone of the whole game. And obviously, gameplay is just as important too. Missing puzzle pieces means something is missing whereas having it all completed means seeing and experiencing the complete work of art instead of seeing and experiencing an incomplete work of art.

TS4 took a turn backwards and then sideways as TS/TS2/TS3 were progressing to a natural blend between both cartoony and realism. Although, honestly I wouldn't mind a more realistic and mature life simulator. I have grown up seeing how the graphics improved and advanced so it's not something new to me. Not sure how intense graphics could be as well as A.I. and still run superb with everything on recommended requirements. I would definitely love to see improvements in graphics starting with TS3 but more so love to see more improvements and advancement in gameplay and A.I.
    Post edited by Deshong04 on
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    SeloBeeSeloBee Posts: 177 Member
    @Deshong04 Man I would absolutely LOVE to see remasters of each Sims game, starting with the OG of course. :smirk:
    The world is quiet here
  • Options
    luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    I'm with you @chloejones92 I just want them to take all best parts of each game and mush them into an amazing Sims 5. It's annoying to wait when I feel like there's so much potential. Lol I'd do it myself if I could!

I've said this in other places, there are lots of things I like in 4. But it remains the game I have the most issues and disappointments with, not to mention bugs. Maybe it's because I'm older now and know what I want. I'm a more educated buyer. Regardless, unless they plan on actually doing something with 4 instead of rehashing all the same stuff, I can't see a reason to justify 3 or more years.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited April 2019
    luxsylvan wrote: »
    I'm with you @chloejones92 I just want them to take all best parts of each game and mush them into an amazing Sims 5. It's annoying to wait when I feel like there's so much potential. Lol I'd do it myself if I could!

I've said this in other places, there are lots of things I like in 4. But it remains the game I have the most issues and disappointments with, not to mention bugs. Maybe it's because I'm older now and know what I want. I'm a more educated buyer. Regardless, unless they plan on actually doing something with 4 instead of rehashing all the same stuff, I can't see a reason to justify 3 or more years.

Not only that some game players that are familar with how an game evolves within an franchise do not take cutting features to the bone mid way through it life very well even if to make performance more managable and bearable which in Sims 4 case made the gameplay for some not technology cutting and boring. Sims 4 may improve but it will still be an gimped version for me.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Like the new freelance careers. I didn't get to find out much about them yet, but wait isn't one of them going to be more painting? I don't know, reusing what's already in game isn't what I have been dreaming about. Nectar making...that might be the one new thing in that free patch as far as not reusing what's already in game.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    One thing I do know is that Sims 4 being in year 5, the excuse "the game is still early in development" can't be used anymore of why features aren't in the game yet. I don't care what number is on a Sims game. If it isn't making majority of the Sims community happy by year five, it is never going to be a great game. Maybe a subpar game, but never a great game. I am happy with how Gallery turned out even though it isn't the most secure program and I am happy with the advancements with the Alexa Skill and having console versions and the first person view as far as technological advancements, but as far as the Sims 4 being a memorable game, I don't ever think it will be like the first 3 games have been down the road. At least with these few advancements something can be down with future games. I also think the Sims 4 has the best toddlers and children so far, so I hope that future games will carry that forward. The terrain manipulation tool despite not having pond tool yet is a cool advancement as well. I hope that with future Sims games, the trait system goes away to something new and more advanced. I also hope that gradual aging and procedural generated worlds occurs with the Sims 5 to take the franchise to a more modern level of gaming.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    It does not start year 5 until after Sept. 4th - first of all and under the management of someone who did not build pc games ( and darn sure she didn't play the game until she came here or ever visited the forum before then either or she would have known a lot more than she did). She saw no reason we needed toddlers or cars or colorwheels or babies not being objects and anything else the base game was missing. To me it seemed that to her Sims was all about parties and little else. It's no wonder Sims 4 was a disaster the first two years. You can't forget about all that, Technically this game was not even a base game until 2017 - so yeah it's behind - it's been behind since it started. You cannot even begin to compare it with any of the first 3 and I for one don't.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I can hardly imagine the state Sims 4 is in and will always be (some of the sacrifices will never be rubbed out because they’re in the foundation of the game) comes down to one person, used as some kind of figurehead, all the blame put on her. Life’s not that simple and companies don’t work that way. She’s long gone and I still see the creators making decisions that go against the basic principle of the franchise. Regardless whether you regret those ‘new’ directions or not (new to the franchise), that can hardly been denied. They’re presented as inevitable even, (still using shortcomings in their own predecessor as an argument; not only did they severely mess up things in the past for that game, it’s being used now to excuse short cuts and sacrifices, which in all honesty frustrates and sometimes even infuriates me. “We had to get rid of that, look how poorly it worked in the past!” Can’t begin to express how much it saddens me how complaints of simmers who broke their own Sims 3 games themselves with all kind of external bells and whistles, are being used as fact and argument by the team who develops this game now (which in a way I even understand because they hear it so often). There I am, running a totally smooth and well functioning Sims 3 after more than nine years now, with each and every pack available installed, and I have to read and hear that over and over again as if it’s gospel and as if I nor my experiences exist.

Sims 4 is older than the other games have ever been in terms of being built upon, that’s the situation we’re in. Potential days are really over, what it is now is what it will always be. For some it means perfection (referring to another topic running in this section atm and I fully appreciate that), for others not so much. But fact remains: this is it and this is what it will remain to be.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Bagoas77 wrote: »
    If EA were to finally successfully create a single-player, online version of The Sims it could be an iteration of a PC version of the game that could last for years longer that previous sims' versions (each of which we're required to pay $500 or more for full content access anyway).

As long as it was a consistently maintained, stable/bug-resistant, constantly content-expanded, persistently graphically-updated version I would be happy to pay monthly for that then what I think (in my humble opinion) we currently have.

I would like to see EA attempt this... a monthly fee plus some kind of in-game store would rake in even more money for them and we would get a decent game worthy of The Sims mantle. If they succeed... then cool. If not... well. They seem to always land on their feet. I'm sure they'll be fine.

Well you will still spend outrageous amounts of money on the game, but unlike the offline single player games (which make sense) you won’t be playing that online single player game once EA eventually shuts the servers down.

Would be in everyone’s best interest if they kept “The Sims” as an offline single player game. They can invest in a spin-off for online if they really think that will do good, but the core game would be absolute trash (even compared to Sims 4) if they made it require the internet to play.

online would be bad
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    Well, afer reading the previous CM's tweets about how it's more important to get those kids on instagram rather than focus on core fans who have propped up this game for the past five years almost I would think everyone would be ready to move on.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,879 Member
    I don't care who they're trying to attract. We've known since almost the beginning who their target audience was. Teen girls. That didn't suddenly change with Drake's comments. As long as they release content I enjoy I'll continue to buy. And even if they release a pack with Moschino clothing I doubt it would be the flashy runway looks we've been seeing but some of their less extravagant designs.
  • Options
    Lilypink79Lilypink79 Posts: 115 Member
    EA are really trying to squeeze every last penny/dime out of it's loyal fanbase. I have sadly been disappointed with the lack of content in every pack
    I've got 99 problems and TS4 glitches are 99 of them
  • Options
    fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    Couldn't agree more with what is being said here.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • Options
    I don't care who they're trying to attract. We've known since almost the beginning who their target audience was. Teen girls. That didn't suddenly change with Drake's comments. As long as they release content I enjoy I'll continue to buy. And even if they release a pack with Moschino clothing I doubt it would be the flashy runway looks we've been seeing but some of their less extravagant designs.

No, what has changed with TS4 isn't they already have teen girls (who may be core fans) but getting those who never played. Since TS4 it's not been about what the core wants (which also includes teen girls) but how to get those who never played. Now, if they try to gain and please those who never played, because you know, our money is guaranteed anyway (no matter what EA has said we buy anyway) then it's never been about what their core base have ever wanted since TS4 was born.
  • Options
    LaneBoy1995LaneBoy1995 Posts: 133 Member
    What concerns me the most about this is how they are acting like The Sims is a game for girls. How many boys love this game too? And being really honest The Sims 4 is maybe the less appealing to the "boy stereotype"!
  • Options
    What concerns me the most about this is how they are acting like The Sims is a game for girls. How many boys love this game too? And being really honest The Sims 4 is maybe the less appealing to the "boy stereotype"!

I don't think Drake or EA has said teen girls, all I have seen is the term teens used. And where to find them..on instagram and youtube.
  • Options
    LaneBoy1995LaneBoy1995 Posts: 133 Member

I don't think Drake or EA has said teen girls, all I have seen is the term teens used. And where to find them..on instagram and youtube.

Yes. She said!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="pt"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Here is the current reality. The "core" Sims player is no longer the marketing target. Why? Because your money is almost guaranteed at some point (either pre purchase, launch, bundle, or sale). The target demo are Teen Girls, most of whom aren't browsing Reddit, Forums, or Twitch</p>— Mana 🌴 Alola 🔜 Galar (@ManaDrake) <a href=" de abril de 2019</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js&quot; charset="utf-8"></script>
  • Options
    I stand corrected. I guess they know dream their demographic better than I would.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member

They did actually specify teen girls. Just alienating more people that way. :|

My theory is that they chose this direction for Sims 4 because they had to. A lot of the core players were upset with the base game because EA had released an incomplete frankengame that was made to be multiplayer and salvaged into single player. With all the things that were (and still are) missing and the gaping holes in the core gameplay, the only chance they had to save a sinking ship was to recruit new players who had nothing to compare it to. They probably chose girls specifically because their research showed that girls are more likely to flock to "trends". (Again, just theory.)

But apparently, it worked. The game is successful, right? Although now that they have an even bigger mix of players and preferences, what does that mean for a potential Sims 5? More compromise. The Sims as we knew and loved it isn't likely to return at this point, I'm sorry to say. I play Sims 4 and can still have some fun with it, but it's more of a casual thing for me and nowhere near the passion I had for Sims 2. The gameplay is too frustrating to enjoy in any extended play.
    #Team Occult
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top