Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do We Really Need Another Three Years? TS4 at Four Years Old

Comments

• Options
    mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member

I replied to that. It's really thinking really high about your product to think that you can't lose your core audience.
  • Options
    luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,649 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »

I replied to that. It's really thinking really high about your product to think that you can't lose your core audience.

I was thinking the same thing. Very conceited. I don't know if I'm considered a core player or not, but they have lost me if some drastic changes aren't made for 5. I haven't played 4 in months.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited April 2019
    I’m most certainly not a ‘core’ player. I stopped playing Sims 1, I missed Sims 2 and I fell in love with Sims 3 which is my favourite. I’d say core players are the ones who favour the original Sims games and played them all, knowing them all inside out. That’s what I consider the core players anyway. I also lack the loyalty based bond many people feel with the franchise and the company that creates it. Literally see people being hurt and feeling rejected because they are treated this way and while I fully understand that for those who have supported them for all those years, it’s simply not like that for me. That loyalty gene is missing from my Sims DNA. So no, I’m not ‘core’. I would like a great Sims experience though, not some pop culture embracing fad that ‘transcends’ a game (whatever that means).

(I’m a bit confused by the way, I know this twitterer worked for EA in the past, but not anymore I thought?)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    By “core” I assume they mean players who transitioned from Sims 3 to Sims 4. Playing Sims 1 or 2 is kind of irrelevant, sure they are nestled in the same broad group of legacy players but the majority of the “core” group of players are people who owned Sims 3 prior to Sims 4. Someone who hasn’t purchased a Sims product since the days of the original, or the second game is not a target of the marketing team at all and hasn’t been for years. Their money isn’t expected because they haven’t forked any over in years.
  • Options
    miandallasmiandallas Posts: 22 Member
    > @chloejones92 said:
    > I wish sims 5 would just hurry up I am still shocked at how disappointing sims 4 actually is.. even with all its packs.. I could play for hours on sims 1, sims 2 and sims 3 and never get bored yet with 4 i get bored in less then an hour.. Ive tried so many times to get into it and i just cant even after buying all the packs.
    >
    > I wish they would just take the sims 2 personality and almost everything about it and then mix it with the sims 3 open worlds create a pattern, create a world, supernatural and then take some of the funny things from sims 1 & makin magic then lastly take the sims 4 graphics. I don't know why EA just doesn't create this hybrid of a game it would be a dream of many!
    > I'm sure we all have things we would like to take from each game.

All of this! Sims 4 is a little frustrating to play, because while it's graphically much more user-friendly, it's missing a lot of the charm and quirkiness of Sims 1, the depth and personality of Sims 2 -- having to dig so deep for basic unique interactions is a challenge, and I hate how some interactions are locked to specific careers/career tracks. I got spoiled by the open worlds in Sims 3 and the levels of customization, even though it was and is still practically unplayable by the end of its run.
  • Options
    TS3 is still playable. I've been playing it for months after I quit playing 4. I just get too irritated with constant loading screens every time I travel while playing 4.

4 has been a mess from the beginning as far as I am concerned with buggy gameplay and poor performance. I realize that it's going to be quite awhile before 5 comes out, but I've been ready to move on to 5 ever since 4 was out for about a year. I'm probably not going to buy future sims games. I would love to see 5 really wow me, but I just don't trust them to produce a quality product and move the franchise in a direction that I would be happy with.
  • Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    edited April 2019
    TS3 is still playable. I've been playing it for months after I quit playing 4. I just get too irritated with constant loading screens every time I travel while playing 4.

4 has been a mess from the beginning as far as I am concerned with buggy gameplay and poor performance. I realize that it's going to be quite awhile before 5 comes out, but I've been ready to move on to 5 ever since 4 was out for about a year. I'm probably not going to buy future sims games. I would love to see 5 really wow me, but I just don't trust them to produce a quality product and move the franchise in a direction that I would be happy with.

I'm still playing Sims 3 as well, it will always entertain and keep me busy and it's never been "unplayable" for me.

I only bought the base game for Sims 4 and that was enough to turn me right off it. No going backward for me. I would hope better for Sims 5, if there is one, but I can see it being even worse than 4. Made as cheap as they can for the mobile apps crowd. I hope they prove me wrong.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    By “core” I assume they mean players who transitioned from Sims 3 to Sims 4. Playing Sims 1 or 2 is kind of irrelevant, sure they are nestled in the same broad group of legacy players but the majority of the “core” group of players are people who owned Sims 3 prior to Sims 4. Someone who hasn’t purchased a Sims product since the days of the original, or the second game is not a target of the marketing team at all and hasn’t been for years. Their money isn’t expected because they haven’t forked any over in years.
    We’d have to ask the twitterer what’s meant exactly then, because apparently it’s not quite clear to the community itself :D ’Core‘ literally means the part of something that is central to its existence or character. Sims 3 has always been considered ‘the odd one out’, so I can hardly imagine players who started playing that game are considered core for this franchise. I’m sure they don’t mean people who stopped buying since Sims 2 or 3 was released, I think it concerns people - like I said - who know the old franchise inside out. Which means Sims 3 ánd 1 and 2. The ones who care about the original idea of the game.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    miandallasmiandallas Posts: 22 Member
    I guess unplayable's not the exact word I'm looking for regarding Sims 3 - but there was a significant lag for me while playing, even on newer, but faster PCs, and several routing issues with certain worlds (Isla Paradiso) that had it not been for NRAAS's mods, I would've ended up avoiding entirely.
  • Options
    mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    edited April 2019
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    We’d have to ask the twitterer what’s meant exactly then, because apparently it’s not quite clear to the community itself :D ’Core‘ literally means the part of something that is central to its existence or character. Sims 3 has always been considered ‘the odd one out’, so I can hardly imagine players who started playing that game are considered core for this franchise. I’m sure they don’t mean people who stopped buying since Sims 2 or 3 was released, I think it concerns people - like I said - who know the old franchise inside out. Which means Sims 3 ánd 1 and 2. The ones who care about the original idea of the game.

Whatever they mean by core, I count myself as Core. I only had the base for The Sims 1, but from The Sims 2 era till like 2 years into The Sims 4 I bought everything, with the exception of store items. I had issues with The Sims 3, as after Late Night my laptop couldn't run it anymore, but I came back to it after I got a better PC. I was disillusioned with The Sims 4 at the start, but I believed their good intentions when they started patching in ghosts and pools, so I continued buying. Fast forward to City Living and it introduces simulation lag to my game. And yet I still, STILL purchased both Pets and Vampires! You know why? Because my stupid head believed that they will still fix this mess.

So I wonder how many people like me is there that they lost.

At the same time there are people like the writers at PCGamer and one of their member's wives that are completely okay with how things are, so I just end up feeling like I'm the odd sheep out here and everyone else is completely fine with what The sims 4 is.

https://clips.twitch.tv/UnusualObliviousClipsdadNotATK
  • Options
    @mirta000 You are not alone. I too stayed with 4 much longer than I should have, because I mistakenly thought they would fix things. Here we are over 4 years later and there is still things that haven't been fixed.

Even though I don't like the way the game is setup, I would have accepted it if the game performed well and they were accountable for problems they created with packs and patches and fixed them in an appropriate amount of time.

It took me awhile, but they aren't getting anymore money from me until I see the content and quality of the franchise improve dramatically. Unfortunately, I am not optimistic that it will happen. :(
  • Options
    miandallas wrote: »
    I guess unplayable's not the exact word I'm looking for regarding Sims 3 - but there was a significant lag for me while playing, even on newer, but faster PCs, and several routing issues with certain worlds (Isla Paradiso) that had it not been for NRAAS's mods, I would've ended up avoiding entirely.
    Lag in Sims 3 comes down to too much CC and/or a low end computer. When you keep your amount of CC within limits and play the game on a decent computer, there is no lag.
    (lag = player giving an order, game running but character not obeying)
    mirta000 wrote: »

Whatever they mean by core, I count myself as Core. I only had the base for The Sims 1, but from The Sims 2 era till like 2 years into The Sims 4 I bought everything, with the exception of store items. I had issues with The Sims 3, as after Late Night my laptop couldn't run it anymore, but I came back to it after I got a better PC. I was disillusioned with The Sims 4 at the start, but I believed their good intentions when they started patching in ghosts and pools, so I continued buying. Fast forward to City Living and it introduces simulation lag to my game. And yet I still, STILL purchased both Pets and Vampires! You know why? Because my stupid head believed that they will still fix this mess.

So I wonder how many people like me is there that they lost.

At the same time there are people like the writers at PCGamer and one of their member's wives that are completely okay with how things are, so I just end up feeling like I'm the odd sheep out here and everyone else is completely fine with what The sims 4 is.

https://clips.twitch.tv/UnusualObliviousClipsdadNotATK
    It’s clear a lot of people love Sims 4 and considering I genuinely can’t imagine why, it must mean they like things in the game that apparently don’t appeal to me. And don’t miss things that are essential to me to be able to enjoy it. Yes, I’d say you clearly meet the requirements to be considered a core simmer. Which apparently doesn’t mean anything anymore. If I may speak for myself, I consider simmers like the OP of this topic a core player, and actually also a number of forum members that dislike Sims 3 and can give valid arguments as to why. Which doesn’t make their arguments factual in general, but they are factual to them, they do know what they’re talking about. That for me defines being a core simmer (which is why I don’t consider myself one, because I don’t know Sims 1 and 2 well enough). For me ‘core players’ are the people who know thoroughly (by intensely playing every version prior to Sims 4) how those different versions played. What were the strong points and what were the weaknesses.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,096 Member
    I always think of core players as people who've played through more than one iteration and are still around. Whatever combination of the games that is, even if you don't play some of them anymore, you are still here and still paying attention, so you are the core. Anyone who has only played 4 is "new" to the franchise.
    Anyone like me who has played every game since SimCity is like inner core player...uber core? ;)
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    ClassicSimsClassicSims Posts: 49 Member
    I believe this game is superior to TS1, 2 & 3. And i want this game to be completed, i want it to have everything the old ones had, but with the way this one implements those topics, such as moods, in-house gameplay style, new worlds, etc.
    I love how this game developed itself quite differently to the previous ones, and im happy with how its looking for now. Hopefully we'll get many more EPs, GPs, and SPs before it ends. Farming, University, TimeTravelling, The beach, maybe even a few more patches with new ages like pre-teen, or more playability for babies so that they are not just an object in a crib. I feel like Maxis knows what they're doing, and I can't wait for all the new content that's right around the corner. :smiley:
  • Options
    james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    I’m most certainly not a ‘core’ player. I stopped playing Sims 1, I missed Sims 2 and I fell in love with Sims 3 which is my favourite. I’d say core players are the ones who favour the original Sims games and played them all, knowing them all inside out. That’s what I consider the core players anyway. I also lack the loyalty based bond many people feel with the franchise and the company that creates it. Literally see people being hurt and feeling rejected because they are treated this way and while I fully understand that for those who have supported them for all those years, it’s simply not like that for me. That loyalty gene is missing from my Sims DNA. So no, I’m not ‘core’. I would like a great Sims experience though, not some pop culture embracing fad that ‘transcends’ a game (whatever that means).

(I’m a bit confused by the way, I know this twitterer worked for EA in the past, but not anymore I thought?)

She don't work for EA anymore. But There are some things to consider. I believe that EA trying to get new players for the Sims franchise.

I think she really means target audience.(not target demo that can be something total different in each game company) Ea is trying to plan for the future. To be honest a lot of new players are not here on the forums. They don't understand make your base angry and you see the start the fall of the franchise.(Simscity 2013 disaster) I really hope that in the future that base games have a lot in it. The other hope is that they realize that long term customers can influence younger generation of simmers.
  • Options
    LaneBoy1995LaneBoy1995 Posts: 133 Member
    edited April 2019
    I consider myself a core player because I played The Sims since 2000, I played Sims 2 and also The Sims 3. I enjoyed and still enjoy/love this three games so much but EA lost me. I have everything from the past games and the base game of TS4. I was so frustrated in 2014 that I uninstalled the game a week after its release. I decided to gave some chances to the game because I love this series and since its so unique I don't have any option to play. I don't have any dlc for TS4 but I played all of them if you know what I mean... Everytime a pack comes the fun dies after 1 hour of gameplay and TS4 becomes repetitive and boring again. I also hate the way they built the worlds and the extreme lack of animations. I hate all the restrictions and for me the only improvement is CAS and its not even one super thing... Emotions are a failure in my point of view... and the graphics... in the beginning I was into them but now Im tired and I enjoy The Sims 3 graphics again! If The Sims 5 will continue on TS4 trend I would declare to myself that the game I fell in love with when I was a child just died in 2014 and I will be playing the old games and hoping for someone of other companies to make a decent competitor because the problem of The Sims is that the majority are casual players. Also other "core" players just enjoy everything no matter how the game is and theres literally no cohesion in this comunity and it would be very hard to make something impactful as protest that can influence sells. It didn't happened in the beginning and now is even difficult. No matter what, EA have always a lot of people buying every single 🐸🐸🐸🐸 they do for this franshise. There was a lot of loud toward My First Pet Stuff but for what? In the end of the day is one of the most selling packs of TS4. Its impossible. The only thing that we can do is sharing our frustrations even if they ignore us. Yes I will be continue to be negative because I just can't be positive. If someone love TS4 go ahead and play it! theres nothing wrong about that. But Im also sick and tired of the TS4 stans that complain about people complaining. This community is a mess right now and I don't see things going back to what it was before. As a core player, a loyal fan of this series since the beginning I feel betrayed by EA and EAxis again (because this Maxis is not the "real" Maxis) for giving us the game that would never be the rightful evolution of the previous titles. No matter how dlcs they make for this overpriced version of The Sims 1.2 (wich is kinda of an insult to the great The Sims 1) nothing will change. I saw SimCity (one of my biggest favourite games too) being killed by EA and I just feel like The Sims is going in the wrong direction. The game is too different and too far from the one I used to love. And Im sorry for my English. Im not a native neither a fluent speaker and I just try my best to communicate here.
  • Options
    @LaneBoy1995 English may not be your first language, but you captured exactly how I feel. I couldn't have expressed it better. Thanks so much for your input. It's good to know that I am not alone in feeling betrayed by a franchise that I have loved dearly over the years.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited April 2019
    @LaneBoy1995 English may not be your first language, but you captured exactly how I feel. I couldn't have expressed it better. Thanks so much for your input. It's good to know that I am not alone in feeling betrayed by a franchise that I have loved dearly over the years.

Yes, I think there were an lot that felt betrayed when Sims 4 was released and looked going forward that it will never be the same as far as creativity. CL for me was another let down as most heard apts was going to be in it and assumed we will be able to build apts from scratch and when it came out that was not the case and to add salt to an open wound, no apts in other neighborhoods.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    Goldmoldar wrote: »

Yes, I think there were an lot that felt betrayed when Sims 4 was released and looked going forward that it will never be the same as far as creativity. CL for me was another let down as most heard apts was going to be in it and assumed we will be able to apts from scratch and when it came out that was not the case and to add salt to an open wound, no apts in other neighborhoods.

City Living frustrates me so much. The apartments are like the castle in The Sims Medieval basically. Elevators are a joke and festivals are repetitive and almost not distinct, just different set dressing.They implemented lot traits but if I choose the same apartment traits in a normal lot the gameplay will be the same but with a different set dressing. Basically City Living are 40 dollars of set dressing...

Get To Work seemed to be the most promising pack but it was poorly done. Get Together is just a weird theme for a 40 dollar pack. Cats and Dogs are the huge let down in the franshise. Seasons its not that bad because the simple fact of having weather changes everything but I still disappointed about deep snow... the roofs look really ugly and weird without snow depth. Get Famous is another huge disappointment for just giving us actor career. In the end all of this packs are too much overpriced for what they are giving us. Its less content and don't try to say that they are more detailed because we can look at The Sims 2 Open for business and compare to Get To Work and see how lame GTW is. And this is just one example. Game packs are cheaper but they are basically gameplay taked of from previous expansions and adding its price for the price of eps, the same old experience will be much more expensive. Stuff packs are the same. In the end, despite of some more detailed features like vampires or toddlers, the experience is almost always the same one recycled over and over again with a different look. I don't care about having thousands of furniture or clothes when its always the same. Its disappointment after disappointment.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I'm not sure I am a core fan. Maybe, but to me a core customer is one who keeps returning. Like if you own a store, and without those core customers who keep returning, you wouldn't last very long. And for a company to have the mind set they aren't as important anymore but rather the 'brand' and spreading that brand into areas (or transending it) where no one heard of it or actually cares about is seems like a huge risk and throwing the core customers under the bus while insulting them, by saying their (customers') forums (feedback and any discussions) is trash, and it's not about them anymore seems like (to me) it would be time those core fans find another 'brand' to keep returning as a loyal customer. I mean I can wait all day on a 'new' customer, who may not buy much, may only buy one thing or browse and not buy anything. But my core customers would return weekly, or montly or yearly or when ever and keep my business going. I don't know, seems like pure narcissism to think you don't have to think about the core customers as much, only to try to break out into markets you probably don't belong. I would also think developers wouldn't care about breaking into markets they may not wish to go but would rather focus on what their fan base or customers like or don't like and get back to building games. My two cents, and respectifully my personal opinion.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Yes, that might indeed be what’s meant here come to think of it, a customer who keeps returning no matter what. Understand the ‘your money is almost guaranteed’ better now. Is it though. I genuinely think that group of ‘core’ players is shrinking, their money no longer guaranteed at all. And what’s left are the ones they consider their target group. The ‘teen girls’.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    SeloBeeSeloBee Posts: 177 Member
    edited April 2019
    I completely agree, @Cinebar, and I think you hit the nail on the head calling it "pure narcissism." Before TS4, I would've definitely considered myself a core customer of the Sims franchise. Now? I think definitely NOT. If it weren't for the core fans, this franchise wouldn't be anywhere close to where it is today, and to just completely disregard their wishes, desires, and true passion for the game is worse than a slap to the face. Personally, I'm just about absolutely sick of the entertainment industry as a whole, mainly games. Most of them seem to have this idea that they can just make utter crap (aka put the least money into something they can but then charge full price for it) and people will still pay for it in droves. And the worst part is that they're not entirely wrong. We vote with our money, and unfortunately it's proving that the majority of people will throw money at just about anything these days. It's so sad to me.. :pensive:
    The world is quiet here
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited April 2019
    I consider myself a core fan. I bought nearly EVERYTHING for each iteration except TS4. And in a sense, I do "return" because I've been hovering around this forum for any news of TS5 since 2016. I am very much vocal for what I hope to see in the next iteration if there are plans for it, but at the same time, I often encourage TS4 players to expect more for what they pay, and I'm vocal about that too. I just don't think it's fair that they pay so much money and get so little. I want them to experience the same "Oh my gosh, WOW!" feelings I've had for each iteration from TS1 to (especially) TS3 and the wonderful feeling of being overwhelmed that there is so much cool gameplay!

I consider myself a core player because I played The Sims since 2000, I played Sims 2 and also The Sims 3. I enjoyed and still enjoy/love this three games so much but EA lost me. I have everything from the past games and the base game of TS4. I was so frustrated in 2014 that I uninstalled the game a week after its release.... (cut to save space) ....and I just feel like The Sims is going in the wrong direction. The game is too different and too far from the one I used to love. And Im sorry for my English. Im not a native neither a fluent speaker and I just try my best to communicate here.

I felt that way too when I tried out TS4. I was so UPSET!!!! I don't understand why some people are allowing their loyalty to be taken advantage of by EAxis. Because the way I see it, EAxis isn't being loyal to me when they produce such shoddy and shallow work on TS4 (and for more money too - the nerve of them!). I just don't feel the need to be loyal to them in that case.

Also, I bet your English is better than my attempt of whatever your language may be, so please continue to post as much as you want here. I think I and everyone here completely understands what you're saying!

Post edited by ClarionOfJoy on
  • Options
    Charlotta11Charlotta11 Posts: 399 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »

Yes, I think there were an lot that felt betrayed when Sims 4 was released and looked going forward that it will never be the same as far as creativity. CL for me was another let down as most heard apts was going to be in it and assumed we will be able to apts from scratch and when it came out that was not the case and to add salt to an open wound, no apts in other neighborhoods.

City Living frustrates me so much. The apartments are like the castle in The Sims Medieval basically. Elevators are a joke and festivals are repetitive and almost not distinct, just different set dressing.They implemented lot traits but if I choose the same apartment traits in a normal lot the gameplay will be the same but with a different set dressing. Basically City Living are 40 dollars of set dressing...

Get To Work seemed to be the most promising pack but it was poorly done. Get Together is just a weird theme for a 40 dollar pack. Cats and Dogs are the huge let down in the franshise. Seasons its not that bad because the simple fact of having weather changes everything but I still disappointed about deep snow... the roofs look really ugly and weird without snow depth. Get Famous is another huge disappointment for just giving us actor career. In the end all of this packs are too much overpriced for what they are giving us. Its less content and don't try to say that they are more detailed because we can look at The Sims 2 Open for business and compare to Get To Work and see how lame GTW is. And this is just one example. Game packs are cheaper but they are basically gameplay taked of from previous expansions and adding its price for the price of eps, the same old experience will be much more expensive. Stuff packs are the same. In the end, despite of some more detailed features like vampires or toddlers, the experience is almost always the same one recycled over and over again with a different look. I don't care about having thousands of furniture or clothes when its always the same. Its disappointment after disappointment.

CL frustrates me too. I do really like sims 4 but hate that i have to live san myshuno to live in apartments and how Del sol valley does not have apartments since u can only live apartments in world that came whit CL.. pff. Del sol valley is LA based world, yet there is still not apartments and we cant place/build apartments there. Or anywhere else. Also we cant change apartment lot traits whitout mods.
    Hope Sims team would some day change that.
    11.3.2019_1.06.18.png
  • Options
    ... Also, I bet your English is better than my attempt of whatever your language may be, so please continue to post as much as you want here. I think I and everyone here completely understands what you're saying!

Thank you! I speak european portuguese (Portugal) and Im still learning english. I think I speak better than I write but I will keep learning. I feel the need to share my opinion because despite the sims community here in Portugal not being active on internet, Im in brazilian forums and groups dedicated for The Sims and I know a lot of people that feel the same way although they cant express themselves.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top