Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 - Update on Supported Systems

Comments

• Options
    LquinnLquinn Posts: 385 Member
    If you're not running on a 64 bit system, you should upgrade/ replace it. Especially if you are a gamer.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    What EA/Maxis should do is to allow those with lower specs. to download the Legacy Pack to keep as these types of PCs, Macs usually are used for other things like day to day work, emails, documents etc., which they might not want to upgrade to Windows 10 etc..

AND reward them if they upgrade or buy a new machine by letting them download all their packs again ready for 64bit without extra charge, in order to sell them new ones coming out! It would be good business practice EA.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited April 2019
    Simburian wrote: »
    What EA/Maxis should do is to allow those with lower specs. to download the Legacy Pack to keep as these types of PCs, Macs usually are used for other things like day to day work, emails, documents etc., which they might not want to upgrade to Windows 10 etc..

AND reward them if they upgrade or buy a new machine by letting them download all their packs again ready for 64bit without extra charge, in order to sell them new ones coming out! It would be good business practice EA.

The packs are 64 bit - they are backwards compatible so the 32 bit pcs could run them thanks to the Origin settings. The 32 bit settings are no longer being supported by all the various other components in 32 bit pcs - some of which the game requires - like updated video cards, ram, shading, even CPU and GPU speeds, etc etc - some video cards - both NVIDIA and Radeon has dropped support of many already, never mind operating systems are dropping support as well - it will no longer even be a good idea for people with 32 bit to even be online for anything if they also lose their anti-virus protections and updates. It is not just bad for them it becomes a hazard to other people they play games with etc. It's why when a system is dropped - all parts of the computers are affected because most companies that make those parts and software for those parts loses support. Like when 8 bit and 16 bit lost support you had to stop using those old systems and buy new or upgrade if possible to newer systems with support of all the systems parts.

It is the way technology works. In the long run it is how the system (the internet) in general become a better, safer place.

No one will ever be rewarded for updating - as players you reward yourself by updating. A game company or any other company that conducts business with us via the pc does not reward us for updating. What happens is when they drop support because they updated their systems and have no way to still support you, you either update to meet them to have their business or you lose doing business or in this case playing games with them. As it is - EA has supported 32 bit a lot longer than many other game companies - this is not just now happening but has been happening all around us for a year now or more. I know the two companies my husband plays games with the most updated over a year ago. And they did not even offer any legacy system to keep anyone playing their game. He was updated anyway - so not an issue - but we know people who are still not updated and cannot play their games at all. So feel fortunate EA at least is making it possible for them to still play - I'd call that a reward over several other big companies.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member

My understanding is that this is exactly what has been said is happening.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    @Writin_Reg

Windows 7 is supported by Microsoft until Jan 2020 but I keep an old 7 laptop completely offline to play my CD games back to XP times.

but .... if you download the Legacy Pack because you haven't got or cannot afford your upgrade laptop yet will EA charge you again for all those packs you already bought (pre Feb 29th) when you finally get it. (if you get my meaning). :)

PS: I have a 64bit gaming laptop. (I think I have about 7 ancient and modern)!
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    @Writin_Reg

Windows 7 is supported by Microsoft until Jan 2020 but I keep an old 7 laptop completely offline to play my CD games back to XP times.

but .... if you download the Legacy Pack because you haven't got or cannot afford your upgrade laptop yet will EA charge you again for all those packs you already bought (pre Feb 29th) when you finally get it. (if you get my meaning). :)

@Writin_Reg

My understanding is it's the same pack - the most they will have to do is reinstall the pack they bought is my understanding.

As far as i know the main difference was the setting the pack was using where they offer you 32 bit or 64 bit - you got to choose before, but after the change using the legacy download will still let it play in 32 bit. They just will not be able to buy new packs or get new downloads because those will not be covered by the legacy download as those will be made to only operate on 64 bit systems. At least that is what I understand they said.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited April 2019
    @Writin_Reg

Windows 7 and 10 are both free to upgrade to 64 bit. Only downside is that you need to reinstall your OS.

People that will have issues are the ones that can't add RAM to their system and have < 4 GB (which in my experience is actually very very few). or have computers that are still on 32 bit architecture .. computers that do have that date back to 2006.

You can get the legacy edition for free if you have Sims 4 base game added to your Origin account (or have Origin Access I assume). You will also keep your 64 bit version on your account as well as all your packs. So once you upgrade, all will still be there. How it all works in details with the packs hasn't been communicated yet. Guess we'll have to see how that works in detail. But you will def. not loose access to the 64 bit version just because you add the legacy edition to your account.

There isn't really much too loose. If you can't afford a computer with 4 GB or more RAM, just wait until you can. I think EA is doing this in a very fair way cause everyone can still play the game they bought, except for updates and gallery access and once you can afford a better computer, you still have everything you bought and you can go from there.

I think mac users are really more affected by these change than Windows users. I do see the occasional people at AHQ that are still at 32 bit but a lot of them have 4 GB and can just upgrade their Windows 64 bit for free.

If anyone is unsure or needs their current system looked at, head over to AHQ and post here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/PLEASE-POST-HERE-Questions-regarding-drop-of-32-bit-OS-Support/td-p/7681382/ .. it has a little FAQ and you can also post your specs to be looked at.

If you're on a mac, the mac helpers in the mac forum are also happy to help out: https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/bd-p/The-Sims-Mac to see what the best course of action is for them.
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    @Writin_Reg

EA no will charge for packs you bought
    Only thing is if you have 32-bit SO, you must uninstall The Sims 4, install The Sims 4 legacy Edition, and re-install all packs you had
    ALL FOR FREE
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member

That’s literally what’s happening tho lol
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    I don't mean to sound disrespectful but why change over now? It seems a bit unfair. Wouldn't it be better to keep it at 32 bit (Granted, I have 64 bit but that is because of some programmes I have which require Windows 64 bit.) for those who don't have Windows 64 bit until the release of Sims 5? It just seems odd that EA/Maxi would change the system so late into Sims 4 I could understand if it was just a few packs into the Sims 4 but there are a lot of packs and I'm sure that you will come out with more before releasing Sims 5. It's a bit unkind to Simmers who have Windows 32 bit. They shouldn't be made to buy a new copy of Windows 10 or a new computer as a result just to play this game as regular 64 bit and made to play a legacy version.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited April 2019
    drakharis wrote: »
    I don't mean to sound disrespectful but why change over now? It seems a bit unfair. Wouldn't it be better to keep it at 32 bit (Granted, I have 64 bit but that is because of some programmes I have which require Windows 64 bit.) for those who don't have Windows 64 bit until the release of Sims 5? It just seems odd that EA/Maxi would change the system so late into Sims 4 I could understand if it was just a few packs into the Sims 4 but there are a lot of packs and I'm sure that you will come out with more before releasing Sims 5. It's a bit unkind to Simmers who have Windows 32 bit. They shouldn't be made to buy a new copy of Windows 10 or a new computer as a result just to play this game as regular 64 bit and made to play a legacy version.

I understand what you are saying in some aspects I can agree. In some sense going 64 bit is not going to change the engines parameters much unless it has flexibility. However, going forward if features are not some gimped and it adds substance to the game then it is was worth it and if not then it would not be so much. Yes, they can still throw content such as items in the game but for me it is nice but I like good features that at the moment Sims 4 lacks. Yes, in other games I seen specs change as far as GPU's, etc, but not an OS architecure mid production they always waited until it's production cycle was over and then on the new version the OS was updated.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    MantaManta Posts: 1 New Member
    I'm pretty angry and sad about this! If they think the technology is so old why don't they make a new the Sims game? Sims 4's base isn't the best anyway.
    If the legacy edition could still connect to the online features I wouldn't mind but I feel like I'm being cordoned off from the game and the community for not being rich enough...
  • Options
    leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    edited May 2019
    Manta wrote: »
    I'm pretty angry and sad about this! If they think the technology is so old why don't they make a new the Sims game? Sims 4's base isn't the best anyway.
    If the legacy edition could still connect to the online features I wouldn't mind but I feel like I'm being cordoned off from the game and the community for not being rich enough...

but what is the problem?
    32 bits processor, are even older than The Sims 3
    Also 32 bits was the main cause why The Sims 3 with its open world and features added by Expansion Packs, be so laggy and cause some errors to save long played games (3 or more generations or rotational players)
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    leo3487 wrote: »

but what is the problem?
    Also 32 bits was the main cause why The Sims 3 with its open world and features added by Expansion Packs, be so laggy and cause some errors to save long played games (3 or more generations or rotational players)

That may be true but EA/Maxis was not keeping up with the tech that was there and what was coming. Even though 64 Bit was around some opted for the 32 bit to save some money which was an dangerous move as some know now. Heck, MS was talking alot about 64 bit back then and apparently EA/Maxis gives me the impression that they dropped the ball and should have alerted all back then what was coming and maybe the change would have been softer. I think most can make the change if their desktop allows it and some laptops may not be able to make that change as it ability to upgrade like an desktop is limited.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member

I haven't heard legacy simmers won't be able to connect to the gallery.
  • Options

Well for Legacy Simmers who dont have the money to upgrade the console is 64 bit and will continue to have new packs.

Only thing missing from console is the gallery but their working on that now. Graham plays TS4 on the Consoles.
  • Options
    leo3487 wrote: »

but what is the problem?

True had they upgraded Sims 3 to 64bit it would have probably played much better.
  • Options
    edited May 2019

This was taken from an post that EA_Mai posted on 13 March 2019 listed in this thread "Will any online features still work in The Sims 4: Legacy Edition?

The Gallery, game banners, and social integrations will be disabled. The Sims 4: Legacy Edition will not display or allow any purchases of content released after February 2019."
    It is sad that this will not be available to Legacy players but I can see why is cannot be allowed as anything created with an 64 Bit must be 64 Bit and they do not want to set up an gallery just for 32 Bit users as that would require maintenance as well.
  • Options
    Pipersfun2Pipersfun2 Posts: 710 Member
    is this good or bad news? I can't tell...

I was wondering the same thing myself.
    while we are playing them,WHO IS PLAYING US?
  • Options
    Goldmoldar wrote: »

This was taken from an post that EA_Mai posted on 13 March 2019 listed in this thread "Will any online features still work in The Sims 4: Legacy Edition?

The Gallery, game banners, and social integrations will be disabled. The Sims 4: Legacy Edition will not display or allow any purchases of content released after February 2019."
    It is sad that this will not be available to Legacy players but I can see why is cannot be allowed as anything created with an 64 Bit must be 64 Bit and they do not want to set up an gallery just for 32 Bit users as that would require maintenance as well.

Ahh man that's disappointing for Legacy simmers. I somehow missed that.
  • Options
    Goldmoldar wrote: »

Ahh man that's disappointing for Legacy simmers. I somehow missed that.

Yeah it is and I know for some it looks discouraging and an downer.
  • Options
    I'm being a bit greedy but I would like both. I don't use mods at present but would like a finished pack so that I could try mods out on my older 2014 laptop which does have an older NVidia videocard and 64bit but tends to overheat with Sims4 now.

I'd also like to continue buying new packs to finish the set on my new gaming laptop which can cope with anything current I can play
    Probably EA/Maxis would make one choose only one of the two options though?.
  • Options
    Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited May 2019
    Here we go lets explain what a 32 bit proccessor is, they are likely all dead by now, the Intel 386 x86 processor, 486 x86 =32 bit proccessor Intel pentium single core processors are x86 systems from pentium, to pentium 4, with top clock speeds of 486mhz which was fast at the time. proccessor speeds now are double the speed of the 32 bit proccessors, and the chances you have one that still work is very slim, that technology needs to be sent to the graveyard. If your computer is 1.0Ghz its a 64 processor, which is 1000mhz. Even intels pentium core 2 processors fail under the 64 bit proccessors with speeds of 2.13ghz that is 2.1333333mhz still fast enough for some solid work today. They where later rebranded as intel core 2 duo so that they didn't get mixed up with the other line of core i3, i5, i7, there was more put though became the popular of the processor line. i3 proccessors are single core to duo core processors with a speed of 1.5Gmz to a speed of 2.50Ghz
    i5 proceossors are a multi core processor from 2 cores enabled at lower end to 4 cores enabled at higher end, speed of though processors are 2.50ghze to 4.0ghz at higher end. The i7 are pretty commonly refered to as the Maxed out proccessor with some of the newer versions reaching a top speed of 5.0Ghz on a single core. There are two versions of the i series, the lower LGA 1155 socket first generation to 3rd generation, ivery bridge being the last of the first 3 generations of the i serries proccessors, the second version uses the LGA socket 1151 and can support the i3 i5 i7 i8 i9 in the LGA 1151 socket and they also have Generation 1, 2,3,4 in that chipset, also Haswell Generation 4 is the middle ground proccessor that is both the first generation of the new socket type and the 4 generation of the older socket type. There may be some rare prototype proccessors that used haswell on boards that supported the 2011 socket, theese where high end gaming boards. As far as AMD most AM4+ sockets where 64 bit proccessors. I hope this helped clearify that the chance of finding a working 32bit proccessor is mynute.
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

"Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    I hope for Legacy Simmers EA gets the bug fixed were you cant spay cats or dogs before the Legacy Version releases.
    Post edited by catloverplayer on