Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 - Update on Supported Systems

Comments

• Options
    belpitabelpita Posts: 1,445 Member
    I play TS4 with my late 2011 macbook pro, so I guess I'll have to switch to the Legacy Edition after June. I'm not planning to buy a new laptop because this one still works smoothly, but I'm excited to see that there are big things coming!

Similar, but on an iMac from 2011. Granted, the game doesn't run all that smoothly on it already as it is now, and perhaps it's time to upgrade anyway. But I wouldn't do it just so I can upgrade/buy new packs for Sims4. It feels a little sad to say goodbye, especially not being able to access the gallery anymore after June.
  • Options
    MaNuSaMaNuSa Posts: 2 New Member
    My iMac 2011 is completely fine and runs the game perfectly. Had I known that all the money I spent wasn't worth it for you, I wouldn't have spent it. And so I will do it in the future. That's the end of The Sims for me. Shame on you!
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    is this good or bad news? I can't tell...

It is VERY good news, unless you have an ancient machine from the dinosaur ages.

I have never even heard of any game publishers supporting 32 bit in ages. It is obsolete. They will be able to keep performance less in mind now since better computers can handle more.

It probably came at our annoyance with smaller worlds because of performance etc.

This is all obviously just speculationb, but its good news either way.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    MaNuSa wrote: »
    My iMac 2011 is completely fine and runs the game perfectly. Had I known that all the money I spent wasn't worth it for you, I wouldn't have spent it. And so I will do it in the future. That's the end of The Sims for me. Shame on you!

To be blunt, it is not the sims fault your computer belongs in a museum.

You are holding us back, the developers had to keep specs in mind for your ancient computer despite you being in the vast minority.

This is the world of gaming. If you do not upgrade your computer you will be left behind.

Believe me, i know it sucks. I have spent thousands over the years to be able to keep up since i play games besides sims 4. But no other developer that i know of besides sims 4 has kept up support for 32 bit this long. World of warcraft ended support for 32 bit YEARS ago, and there were a few people upset their old computers couldn't run it too. Its a fact of gaming.

To put it in console terms, itd be like playing the gamecube and getting upset that you can't play Nintendo switch games.

• Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    edited March 2019
    I've never been so excited since Seasons. That's great, I want to see what's next! And maybe, bye bye small worlds like Del Sol Valley!
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Dianesims wrote: »
    Thanks ! I'm relieved. For once I'm safe because I play on a Mac :D
    Doesn't sound fair for 32 bit users though, not everyone can afford to buy a new computer just to play TS4, I couldn't. And the game isn't cheap if you add all EPs, GPs and SPs, so being able to play should be the least they (ea) can do for them.
    I have a macbook pro from 2015, is it ok with the update ? I have no idea if it's 32 bit or not.

macOS has been 64-bit since 2009 so you’re fine. The game has also only ever been 64-bit in macOS. The 32-bit only applies to Windows users.

The announcement about Metal only affects Mac users but if your Mac is a 2015 model then you will also be fine :)

Edit: I thought I read you weren't tech savvy, but I can't seem to find that now. I'll keep my things how ive originally written them though in case anyone else could use clarity.

@Dianesims
    I know you aren't that tech savvy, but trust me, it is fair, and it is a good thing.

Basically, these computers from 10+ years ago NEEDED to be able to run the game because they advertised it as 32 bit friendly.

These are horrible computers putting it bluntly. No other major developer even thinks about supporting 32 bit.

So since they advertised it as 32 bit friendly, all of their ideas had to be scaled back to keep them in mind. 32 bit users didnt have to be able to play well, but they had to be able to play it.

To compare, 32 bit users could probably only play for a couple hours at a time before their whole game crashed due to reaching their max ram.

64 bit can use any ram you have in your computer 8, 16, 32 etc. Most games recommend 8 but i think sims 4 is 6.

Ram is basically like counter space. The more space you have on your counters, the more you can make at once. Same with a computer.

32 bit could only use up to 4 GB of ram. (In reality, closer to 2)

So imagine if you entered a cooking contest. You have 8 counters of ram, but your competition only has 2. To make it fair the judges decided you can only use 2 counters as well, even though you have 8 counters available.

Now that EA is ending support for those machines, they can keep in mind that most people have 6 to 8 counters and design games around that, instead of having to be held back by 2 counters.

Or in other words, it would be like Nintendo keeping the gamecubes capabilities in mind when making switch games. Imagine having to hold back your development because people don't want to get rid of tjeir old gamecubes.

Hopefully ive helped!
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    edited March 2019
    Oh I understand ram issues, I played TS3 on a white 4go macbook and saying it was buggy would be an understatement! Basically you're saying it's for the greater good. And no I'm not very tech savvy haha
    Doesn't sound fair for 32 bit users though, not everyone can afford to buy a new computer just to play TS4, I couldn't. And the game isn't cheap if you add all EPs, GPs and SPs, so being able to play should be the least they (ea) can do for them.
    I have a macbook pro from 2015, is it ok with the update ? I have no idea if it's 32 bit or not.

macOS has been 64-bit since 2009 so you’re fine. The game has also only ever been 64-bit in macOS. The 32-bit only applies to Windows users.

The announcement about Metal only affects Mac users but if your Mac is a 2015 model then you will also be fine :)

Edit: I thought I read you weren't tech savvy, but I can't seem to find that now. I'll keep my things how ive originally written them though in case anyone else could use clarity.

@Dianesims
    I know you aren't that tech savvy, but trust me, it is fair, and it is a good thing.

Basically, these computers from 10+ years ago NEEDED to be able to run the game because they advertised it as 32 bit friendly.

These are horrible computers putting it bluntly. No other major developer even thinks about supporting 32 bit.

So since they advertised it as 32 bit friendly, all of their ideas had to be scaled back to keep them in mind. 32 bit users didnt have to be able to play well, but they had to be able to play it.

To compare, 32 bit users could probably only play for a couple hours at a time before their whole game crashed due to reaching their max ram.

64 bit can use any ram you have in your computer 8, 16, 32 etc. Most games recommend 8 but i think sims 4 is 6.

Ram is basically like counter space. The more space you have on your counters, the more you can make at once. Same with a computer.

So imagine if you entered a cooking contest. You have 8 counters of ram, but your competition only has 2. To make it fair the judges decided you can only use 2 counters as well, even though you have 8 counters available.

Now that EA is ending support for those machines, they can keep in mind that most people have 6 to 8 counters and design games around that, instead of having to be held back by 2 counters.

Or in other words, it would be like Nintendo keeping the gamecubes capabilities in mind when making switch games. Imagine having to hold back your development because people don't want to get rid of tjeir old gamecubes.

Hopefully ive helped!
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Oh I understand ram issues, I played TS3 on a white 4go macbook and saying it was buggy would be an understatement! Basically you're saying it's for the greater good. And no I'm not very tech savvy haha

@Dianesims

Hopefully ive helped!

It's my belief that a good chunk of Sim's 3 would be a lot better off if it was 64 bit capable. I really think there are plenty of users that would LOVE it if they updated the game for them, but I'm not sure how feasible that is.

The issue was that sims 3 was produced back when 32 bit was still pretty common, so unless they wanted to lose a huge chunk of business they had to keep it in mind.
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited March 2019
    I hope they will always go with 64 bit only for the next iteration.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    MaNuSaMaNuSa Posts: 2 New Member
    > @Zeldaboy180 said:
    > MaNuSa wrote: »
    >
    > My iMac 2011 is completely fine and runs the game perfectly. Had I known that all the money I spent wasn't worth it for you, I wouldn't have spent it. And so I will do it in the future. That's the end of The Sims for me. Shame on you!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > To be blunt, it is not the sims fault your computer belongs in a museum.
    >
    > You are holding us back, the developers had to keep specs in mind for your ancient computer despite you being in the vast minority.
    >
    > This is the world of gaming. If you do not upgrade your computer you will be left behind.
    >
    > Believe me, i know it plum. I have spent thousands over the years to be able to keep up since i play games besides sims 4. But no other developer that i know of besides sims 4 has kept up support for 32 bit this long. World of warcraft ended support for 32 bit YEARS ago, and there were a few people upset their old computers couldn't run it too. Its a fact of gaming.
    >
    > To put it in console terms, itd be like playing the gamecube and getting upset that you can't play Nintendo switch games.

My iMac 2011 is 64-bit and the MacBook Air 2016 that I also have has lower specs than my iMac, so the game runs far less smooth. Metal is only a GPU API. I can run games like Subnautica perfectly and encode videos without any problem. In fact, I could install Bootcamp in my iMac and run the non-legacy game and the specs would be the same, so that means that there won't be any meaningful change for Macs. Why are they leaving us behind and users with PCs of the same age can run the game? Macs last longer than PCs. I'm not planning to change that "piece of museum" you say I have if it's working as the same day I purchased it.
  • Options
    leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    For all simmers I also take this announce as hidding other, than if you are intelligent, you had read it:

Do not expect packs for March, April, May

As gurus said than Legacy Edition will be only upto Strangerville, the more logic is than next pack will be for normal version when it become 64-bits only
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    leo3487 wrote: »
    For all simmers I also take this announce as hidding other, than if you are intelligent, you had read it:

Do not expect packs for March, April, May

As gurus said than Legacy Edition will be only upto Strangerville, the more logic is than next pack will be for normal version when it become 64-bits only

We might get free base game type of content and patches. Because going that long without anything seems like a long time
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    Apparently something is being announced “soon” so we’ll have to see.

• Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    QueenMercy wrote: »
    Apparently something is being announced “soon” so we’ll have to see.

Hopefully it will be be something that has substance to it and some bite. :)
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    EA_MaiEA_Mai Posts: 1,800 EA Staff (retired)
    edited March 2019
    Hey - a reminder to please keep this discussion on topic. For speculation on future content or announcements, please, head over to the Speculation and Rumor section >> https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/speculation-and-rumor
  • Options
    MaNuSa wrote: »

My iMac 2011 is 64-bit and the MacBook Air 2016 that I also have has lower specs than my iMac, so the game runs far less smooth. Metal is only a GPU API. I can run games like Subnautica perfectly and encode videos without any problem. In fact, I could install Bootcamp in my iMac and run the non-legacy game and the specs would be the same, so that means that there won't be any meaningful change for Macs. Why are they leaving us behind and users with PCs of the same age can run the game? Macs last longer than PCs. I'm not planning to change that "piece of museum" you say I have if it's working as the same day I purchased it.

Same. I rather took offence at that outburst about museum pieces. :(
    You can probably get a decent gaming PC for cheap, and then keep upgrading or buying a new one as your gaming changes. But a Mac doesn't really work that way.

It seems I may be able to continue playing Sims4 on my Macbook from 2015, even if it's not ideal because the game makes the computer overheat if played too long. Plus, controls are a little clunky without a mouse.

I suspect the issue for us Mac users has more to do with Apple's decisions than EA, though. The new Metal upgrade is a way of pushing owners with older products to buy new ones, because there will be no more updates or support on the old generation.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    Boy I feel sorry for legacy players cause not only are they getting no new packs ever but no updates as well.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,873 Member
    Boy I feel sorry for legacy players cause not only are they getting no new packs ever but no updates as well.

I wouldn't say ever. Those players may eventually upgrade their systems and be able to continue with the series.
  • Options
    fiercephoenix91fiercephoenix91 Posts: 175 Member
    I just got a new computer (second desktop ever) and it has Windows 10 Home 64. Does that mean mine will be supported?
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member

It is only good news for me if they actually use it to enhance options or the technology in the game and if they do not then to me it is bad.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    I just got a new computer (second desktop ever) and it has Windows 10 Home 64. Does that mean mine will be supported?

Yes, you will not have to switch to the legacy edition.
  • Options
    Goldmoldar wrote: »

It is only good news for me if they actually use it to enhance options or the technology in the game and if they do not then to me it is bad.

I think a lot of people seem to be forgetting this in their disappointment or relief about the changes.
    From one of the videos SimSupply did with the devs, it does appear that the current version of Sims 4 has been limited in its features and abilities because they have taken into account that older computer setups are still around. It was a way of being inclusive, but it has probably also meant that many players were disappointed in what the game could actually do, especially when compared to previous versions.

Hopefully, this is indeed good news for the game itself, even if it will leave some of us out (temporarily?).
  • Options
    leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    edited March 2019
    Of course is good be 64 bits only

With 32 bits game, at a 32 bits operating system can use upto 2 GB of RAM, and at a 64 bits operating system, upto 4 GB of RAM
  • Options
    Honey_Pie_360Honey_Pie_360 Posts: 240 Member
    Well at least thank God they brought out seasons before this announcement.