Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will Your Computer Support The Sims 4 after June 2019?

Comments

• Options
    soko37soko37 Posts: 593 Member
    edited March 2019
    Yes
    They should have started 64bit to begin with instead of chopping off consumers play in the middle of production. My computer is a beast, so no matter what they do, I can take it but I do feel bad for those that are getting cut off.

That being said, if I did have a 32 bit computer, I wouldn't even expect to play games on it. I cant believe they tried to support that really.

For me it's good news.
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Yes
    Okay, so I read the article for the fourth time and apparently I'm an plum. I have a MacBook Pro, but managed to overlook or confuse it with a normal MacBook three frigging times. So I'm not affected. But this whole situation is still really messed up. You bought a base game for around 50/60 bucks, with all features, regular updates and access to the gallery. Maybe even purchased a few expansion packs. Then, suddenly, your computer isn't supported anymore? In the middle of the game, with new content still being produced for it? That's simply not right. Like I know stuff gets outdated quickly, and I would have understood it if TS4 was finished. But it's not, so this is just really, really unfair in my opinion. These news still anger me.

Sorry to @SimAlexandria and especially @ChelleJo for reacting so rude. I was outraged and also kind of devastated when I read this for the first three times (🤦‍♀️), and I let it out on you. My apologies. I'm not really in a good state at the moment.

Please excuse the rant everyone.

I'm sure they're doing this with the knowledge that hardly anyone has a 32-bit system anymore.
  • Options
    simm621simm621 Posts: 1,037 Member
    Yes
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    MMX wrote: »
    So_Money wrote: »
    You'll still be able to play, but won't be able to download new packs released after Strangerville.
    I know. But honestly? This is a HUGE downer for me.

It’s the ugly reality of how the constantly evolving nature of PC gaming affects long-term service-based products like TS4.
    It's also the kind of thing you have to expect when you have a bottlenecked PC. A gaming PC from ten years ago would not compare to modern gaming PCs if you don't upgrade them.

I never seen an developer make an drastic chage mid stream like this eithier, they wait until the end of its production cycle and make the necessary changes going forward in the new version.

Then you forget - EA did it midway with Bon Voyage in Sims 2 when they changed the disks from cds to dvds before most players just had CDs and dvds were still too expensive. Bon Voyage and H & M plus all remaining disk took a DVD player in order to use them.

Dragon Age Inquisition did something similar. They stopped support or making content available for consoles before the last DLC or 2.
    Gallery ID: wiccanwonder
  • Options
    SamadamsPlayerSamadamsPlayer Posts: 583 Member
    edited March 2019
    Yes
    I hope so
    not knowing that much
    It is a 64 operating system we need a way to check if we can run it before this date
    Happy simming everyone
  • Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    Yes
    Honestly I had no idea that it supported 32 bit PCs back in 2014. I just assumed it was 64 bit only from the beginning.

Neither did I. I guess I never paid much attention since I've run 64 bit since windows 7 years ago. I'm glad they are making a legacy version that will still play for the people who won't or can't upgrade their 32 bit systems to 64 bit though. It would be really bad for them not to be able to play a game they'd already paid for and gotten hooked on!
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited March 2019
    Yes
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    MMX wrote: »
    So_Money wrote: »
    You'll still be able to play, but won't be able to download new packs released after Strangerville.
    I know. But honestly? This is a HUGE downer for me.

It’s the ugly reality of how the constantly evolving nature of PC gaming affects long-term service-based products like TS4.
    It's also the kind of thing you have to expect when you have a bottlenecked PC. A gaming PC from ten years ago would not compare to modern gaming PCs if you don't upgrade them.

I never seen an developer make an drastic chage mid stream like this eithier, they wait until the end of its production cycle and make the necessary changes going forward in the new version.

Then you forget - EA did it midway with Bon Voyage in Sims 2 when they changed the disks from cds to dvds before most players just had CDs and dvds were still too expensive. Bon Voyage and H & M plus all remaining disk took a DVD player in order to use them.

Actually, I remember that but that is not what I am talking about. I never seen an company change from one program coding mid stream as EA/Maxis is doing. However it is all good but I do sympathize with the users out there that are less fortunate than others to make an quick update to 64 bit.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    edited March 2019
    Yes
    They should also abandon DX9 for Windows and move to DX11 entirely. People who still use extremely outdated graphics cards that only support DX9 should just throw their entire computer to trash. Lol jk they can also continue to play a legacy edition.

I’m tired of having low FPS on large lots w/ tons of objects due to how terribly inefficient DX9 is at draw calls. For example, if you place 10 of the same chair in one build, in DX9 this means the CPU needs to set up the draw call info (position, rotation and scaling of the chair) & call it, and then repeat this for 10 times. DX11 meanwhile supports instancing and allows you to draw 10 chairs at once, dramatically cutting down the CPU time. DX12 would be even better due to multithreaded draw calls, but I guess a lot of players still don’t have a DX12 card.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    Yes
    elelunicy wrote: »
    They should also abandon DX9 for Windows and move to DX11 entirely. People who still use extremely outdated graphics cards that only support DX9 should just throw their entire computer to trash. Lol jk they can also continue to play a legacy edition.

I’m tired of having low FPS on large lots w/ tons of objects due to how terribly inefficient DX9 is at draw calls. For example, if you place 10 of the same chair in one build, in DX9 this means the CPU needs to set up the draw call info (position, rotation and scaling of the chair) & call it, and then repeat this for 10 times. DX11 meanwhile supports instancing and allows you to draw 10 chairs at once, dramatically cutting down the CPU time. DX12 would be even better due to multithreaded draw calls, but I guess a lot of players still don’t have a DX12 card.

^ This. I have a pretty new computer and it's kinda poopy having to deal with lag just cuz the engine or whatever stuff they use restrict this.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited March 2019
    Yes
    elelunicy wrote: »

Agree
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    Honestly can't remember the last time I touched a 32-bit computer... It's been YEARS. This is unfortunate for those who will be affected by this. I agree 64-bit should have been in place from the start. (DX11 would be nice)
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    dfstonedfstone Posts: 215 Member
    Yes
    2 things to check, that your system is 64bit and your OS is 64 bit. Unless you are running some 12 year old original un-upgraded copy of Windows 7, you are probably using a 64 bit OS. Macs have been 64bit since OS X first came out. Intel and AMD have been using 64bit since the 90s. So really if you aren't 64bit compatible then you need to upgrade regardless 'cause that means your rig is as old as the hills and is probably on its last leg anyway.
  • Options
    ChuChuExpressChuChuExpress Posts: 3,228 Member
    Yes
    Yep, my laptop is 64 bits, so this should handle the game fine. I'm tempted to upgrade the RAM to the maximum my laptop can handle, which is 16 Gigabytes. It's currently got 2 4GB ram cards, totalling 8gb. But It should be fine.
    e6581e69b0d7d8f9e02cb1e30b50f464959bfb2a.png
    Sims 4 Family: Benjamin, Shine, Princess Roddy, Sophia and Hamish Furystrykar and Shelly Heart. Princess Roddy is my avatar, and he's a boy!
    Let those smiles spread!
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    Yes
    It's 2019
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    NausNaus Posts: 405 Member
    Yes
    Are people still on a 32-bit OS? There's no reason not to upgrade your OS if you have at least 4GB of RAM, which I think it's the standard since 2014.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited March 2019
    Yes
    @Naus

I've got a second computer (2006), it was compatible with Windows 7 64-bit but Windows 8 upgrade did a downgrade to 32-bit because the 64-bit drivers aren't available.

Sometimes Microsoft installed 32-bit system on 64-bit computer.

• Options
    BradyGalaxyBradyGalaxy Posts: 306 Member
    Yes
    I'm nowhere near affected by this, but it still kind of upsets me that other people who happen to have 32bit systems won't be able to get updates or get anymore DLC.
    Proud simmer
  • Options
    mock68mock68 Posts: 696 Member
    How can you tell what bit your computer is???
  • Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    Yes
    I'll be fine, but I am concerned for those on the affected systems.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    Yes
    My computer is hella powerful, so I'm good. I do sympathise with those who have less powerful machines, but I also hope this will be a good thing in the long run for the game and for most players.
  • Options
    papertonguepapertongue Posts: 130 Member
    No
    I've been meaning to get a new computer forever. I guess this finally gives me the kick in the butt to do so.
  • Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    Yes
    @mock68 follow the second link in the first post. It says there how to find out.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    mcruddmcrudd Posts: 11,696 Member
    Yes
    My previous one would have just just probably coped, but thankfully I had to buy a new laptop recently and that one is good to go :) Its an alienware 15 R4. ;)
  • Options
    HeiwieeHeiwiee Posts: 21 Member
    Yes
    Fortunately, yes ! But I feel bad for the people who don't have that chance :(
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,095 Member
    Yes
    soko37 wrote: »
    They should have started 64bit to begin with instead of chopping off consumers play in the middle of production. My computer is a beast, so no matter what they do, I can take it but I do feel bad for those that are getting cut off.

That being said, if I did have a 32 bit computer, I wouldn't even expect to play games on it. I cant believe they tried to support that really.

For me it's good news.

That was my sentiment when 4 came out. Why are they going with the lower standard? Sims 3 crashed after a period of time on Macs specifically because the game was only allowed to access a portion of what the computer actually had.
    I mean, I'm not unsympathetic, I lost Sims 3 altogether when I finally updated my OS recently. And If I had to replace this laptop right now, I just wouldn't be able to.
    But, tech progresses. We didn't halt production on cell phones because people still had land lines. And games/PC's won't stop progressing because some people still have older machines.
    Mine's a 2013 and is 64bit, that's nearly 6 years old. Most things in the tech world only a have a few years before they are outdated. Honestly, I think we are lucky it hasn't moved on.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,184 Member
    Yes
    It better be as I just upgraded my little beast and had to install the dreaded (to me) Windows 10 in the process. I just checked and my computer is the 64bit and it even was so before I had to upgrade.