Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 StrangerVille - A mystery only Sims can solve

Comments

• Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    @SimGuruGrant Thanks for looking into it! While you're at it the picture/painting frames could also use an update, there's just one colour.
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    kalaksed wrote: »
    oh, i'm exactly the same way, @fullspiral. i want to solve it on at least 3 different households, have 2-3 others get partway through and...if i like just how crazy the world can be when you're halfway through the story for it, i might just leave it there

no clue on how we can restart it, just that it can be restarted somehow. my guess is that we'll have an option to do something that destroys all those purple pods and that's the 'now the story is over, strangerville is a totally normal town again' ending that a lot of people will want (if they even begin delving into the story in the first place) while there could be another option of 'leave some pods growing so another sim can find them and start the whole thing over again'. that's just an immediate gut reaction, but we'll see in less than a week

Just a theory: Seasons came with an option to turn off thunderstorms and blizzards, and Get Famous gave us one to switch off fame for new sims and those who aren't already famous. Maybe there will be a similar option referring to the mystery of StrangerVille, one that is greyed out at first, but will receive a checkmark once you've solved it in your current save, and removing the checkmark starts the whole thing over again.

That's not how I would have done it, though. I would have made this entire mystery-solving story an aspiration instead, and once you've completed it, the mystery doesn't disappear, but that sim knows everything about it, resulting in a reward trait that makes them less susceptible to the weirdness. That way, the sim in question can continue living a normal life even in StrangerVille, while the mystery is still there for everyone else.
    Again, every. time. something like this has been introduced, there has been the associated skill with it. Skating. Boxing, Fishing. Gardening. Wellness. Every. Time.

Yep, and besides that, introducing a martial arts skill to TS4 has never made more sense than now. It goes well with military career, and I would be very disappointed if sparring with that dummy thing only built Fitness. I mean, it could of course build both skills at the same time, like cutting the bonsai tree contributes to both Flower Arranging and Gardening, but please not only Fitness, we already have more than enough in that regard.

Also, no more hidden skills like Skating, please! Nothing against Skating per se, but I'm still looking for a mod to make it visible. I don't see the point in not seeing what my sim has accomplished.
  • Options
    mavislurchermavislurcher Posts: 21 Member
    I saw the trailer when it was released, and I already have a sim planned.
  • Options
    MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    While that is nice they will add content but For me they have yet to produce features such as lot editors allowing one to add, subtract, alter lot size and an neighborhood creator which some would like instead of waiting for EA/Maxis to give us one which is thier vision and not mine. It would be great to use colors outside of the primary colors and basic color group. If this can be done I would say Sims 4 is complete for me and I will praise EA/Maxis for that until then they can add all the items they want and for me it will be just an average game.
    I agree; I always found player made worlds more interesting than EA worlds, for the most part. I think I tried out most of the EA worlds at different times (at least the store worlds), but many player made worlds were just so beautiful and appealing that I preferred them.

Lot editors - and being able to add lots to a neighborhood - would be awesome, but looking at the way their neighborhoods are set up, I'm not sure it will ever be possible. You'd have to have a way of editing a particular zone within a neighborhood; as it stands, the programming doesn't appear to be able to support that. They would have to add quite a bit of code to be able to do that, and I can't see them spending the resources on that. Maybe in future neighborhoods it might be made possible, but it's very difficult to modify things that are already made, than it is to change things that are still being created.

Now, a world creator like they had for Sims 3, that would give players another opportunity to express our creativity. The Sims devs seem aware that Sims is all about our creativity, so maybe? Although I think we would have one by now, if one was ever going to be available.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    edited February 2019
    alan650111 wrote: »
    Very true; please everyone, just because you saw something that's probably a confirmation of something in a trailer, doesn't mean that it is what you want it to be. Can't we all just wait for official confirmation before we all start concluding that any martial arts skill is returning? I mean, a military career was quickly confirmed, yet no answers have stemmed from confirmations of a martial arts skill...how strange, don't you think?

I saw a van driving around the streets of StrangerVille in the trailer, driven by govt agents spying on the Sims (which has been confirmed to be a branch of the military career under the term 'Covert Operator', but does that mean cars have been confirmed too and that our Sims can drive them if we become govt agents?

Again, every. time. something like this has been introduced, there has been the associated skill with it. Skating. Boxing, Fishing. Gardening. Wellness. Every. Time.

As for cars... of course not.There is no drivable cars in the game and won't ever be. The game does not support that kind of mechanic, just like it doesn't support open world.

I dont believe that. I think cars are a given at some point especially considering all the decorative cars they have in Del Sol Valley and the fact that they changed the travel icon from a plane to a car in a recent update.
  • Options
    ellipsismsellipsisms Posts: 9 New Member
    I'm so excited about this pack! I've even decided to come here and lurk around
  • Options
    shcshc Posts: 2 New Member
    Darn you EA *shakes fist*. Suckering me in with the Sims 2 nostalgia.

I'm hella excited for this pack. Gosh dang it I might even break my own rule about only buying when on special :/
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    edited February 2019
    musteni wrote: »
    @SimGuruGrant Thanks for looking into it! While you're at it the picture/painting frames could also use an update, there's just one colour.
    There are several colors (if you go into build mode you can change the color) but it would be nice to have more and more types of frames and I'm glad the gurus are looking into making picture frames on surfaces available. Also I wonder how they made that pic because I can't take a pic of more than two sims (selfie or with the photo studio).
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    edited February 2019
    Dianesims wrote: »
    musteni wrote: »
    There are several colors (if you go into build mode you can change the color) but it would be nice to have more and more types of frames and I'm glad the gurus are looking into making picture frames on surfaces available. Also I wonder how they made that pic because I can't take a pic of more than two sims (selfie or with the photo studio).

Oh you're right! When adding a frame there's only black colour so I keep forgetting there are options, three for the basic picture it seems. More frame types would be cool either way. I think they probably photoshopped the whole picture.

Edit: Paintings only have black frame available but that's another topic I guess.
  • Options
    Jfreeman09Jfreeman09 Posts: 8 New Member
    How come the price isn't listed for Strangerville and you can't preorder it????
  • Options
    tinahjalmartinahjalmar Posts: 1,595 Member
    This pack is gonna be fun! I love mysteries!
  • Options
    ellipsismsellipsisms Posts: 9 New Member
    I'm excited, TS4 is missing some mysteries and lore.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    I wonder since we have to wait for any additional neighborhoods, are we ever going to get anymore free neighborhoods that has substance w/o paying for them? How long ago did we get an free neighborhood wow it must have been eons ago. :)
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,309 Member
    Jfreeman09 wrote: »

I believe only EPs are pre-orderable, and the price will be $20 US, same as all game packs (unless they decide to spring an increase on us, which would cause a massive uproar).
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited February 2019
    Jfreeman09 wrote: »

I believe only EPs are pre-orderable, and the price will be $20 US, same as all game packs (unless they decide to spring an increase on us, which would cause a massive uproar).

Yeah, I think as well EPs are the only ones you can pre-order but I can be wrong, that is nothing new as EA/Maxis causes uproars already. :D
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    I wonder since we have to wait for any additional neighborhoods, are we ever going to get anymore free neighborhoods that has substance w/o paying for them? How long ago did we get an free neighborhood wow it must have been eons ago. :)

Another empty world is very much needed. I think we got Newcrest within a few months of Get To Work, due to the uproar of four paltry lots that came with the Magnolia Promenade. It's high time they give us another world. Since Newcrest seems like an extension of Willow Creek, they could do a desert themed extension of Oasis Springs. Or even another temperate region like Newcrest. It doesn't matter to me as long as I get more room!!
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,872 Member
    edited February 2019

Not quite an eon ago. :) Newcrest was released in June 2015. A new world for the 5th anniversary in September would be nice.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member

Another empty world is very much needed. I think we got Newcrest within a few months of Get To Work, due to the uproar of four paltry lots that came with the Magnolia Promenade. It's high time they give us another world. Since Newcrest seems like an extension of Willow Creek, they could do a desert themed extension of Oasis Springs. Or even another temperate region like Newcrest. It doesn't matter to me as long as I get more room!!

If they decided to give us a free, blank, new world, I would like a city world laid out in city blocks. Not a downtown area like San Myshuno, but an area more on the outskirts where buildings are not so tall and I can add shops, brownstone apartments, cafes, pet shop, gym. etc. The look of the business district in Willow Creek is the look I would go for. With a few run down or abandoned lots.
  • Options
    SimGuruHoutsSimGuruHouts Posts: 73 SimGuru
    fullspiral wrote: »
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    @SimGuruHouts What happens if your sim goes to Strangerville, gets infected and goes home? You say sims in other worlds will not become infected, but does your sim revert back to normal once they are away from the Mother or do they stay infected in their home world? Is there a cure?

Further to that....what happens once it's solved? Will the infection come back again? Or will it just become a normal town? I want to know....lol. I night NOT want to solve it if it makes the strange in Strangerville just go away!

The infection won't spread outside StrangerVille. There are ways you can infect Sims in different worlds, but even that will be limited to what you make happen (it won't become some epidemic that grows out of control).

Once it's solved, there are ways to get rid of the weirdness or embrace it. I won't say more so you can discover it for yourself. :)
  • Options
    SimGuruHoutsSimGuruHouts Posts: 73 SimGuru
    I heard rumors on a YouTube comment thread that we may be getting spiral stairs, due to some speculation around a picture of the plane crash site(that is obviously a front for an underground bunker). Has anyone seen confirmation of this?

We aren't doing spiral stairs. I really want these too, but I don't want you all to get hyped for something that's not in the pack. Sorry!
  • Options
    kcarlile7kcarlile7 Posts: 7 New Member
    I'm SO excited for this! :)
  • Options
    AmaraRenaAmaraRena Posts: 6,533 Member
    While I'm still hoping for witches and other supernaturals I have to say I'm looking forward to this! Though I have to agree that an actual ode to Strangetown with lots of magic is still a thing I hope we'll also see. As much as I love the "town" in Vampires its small size is very disappointing. We need a large town to do our creepy characters justice! I loved the nightclubs and taverns in Supernatural in Sims 3 and was pretty bummed that there's nothing like that in Vampires.
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    @SimGuruHouts What happens if your sim goes to Strangerville, gets infected and goes home? You say sims in other worlds will not become infected, but does your sim revert back to normal once they are away from the Mother or do they stay infected in their home world? Is there a cure?

Further to that....what happens once it's solved? Will the infection come back again? Or will it just become a normal town? I want to know....lol. I night NOT want to solve it if it makes the strange in Strangerville just go away!

The infection won't spread outside StrangerVille. There are ways you can infect Sims in different worlds, but even that will be limited to what you make happen (it won't become some epidemic that grows out of control).

Once it's solved, there are ways to get rid of the weirdness or embrace it. I won't say more so you can discover it for yourself. :)

Okay. Thank you for answering! I just didn't want it to go away completely if I had a sim solve it. I want to keep Strangerville, well, strange!
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    Since there doesn't seem to be any customization available, and no new sandbox tools, I'm not sure what the point is. This isn't the sims to me, I can play hundreds of games with a linear story, I play the sims to make my own stories, not the ones the dev team thinks is fun. I want sandbox tools to create my own worlds and stories and this is clearly not it. I'm confused how the dev team seems to be so disconnected from what the sims is. Sure it might be fun to play once, but then what? When you already know the mystery, there is no reason to do it again.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I heard rumors on a YouTube comment thread that we may be getting spiral stairs, due to some speculation around a picture of the plane crash site(that is obviously a front for an underground bunker). Has anyone seen confirmation of this?

We aren't doing spiral stairs. I really want these too, but I don't want you all to get hyped for something that's not in the pack. Sorry!

Thanks for clearing that issue up. I hope we get them in the near future.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top