Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you decide on the name to go with in a same sex marriages?

Comments

• Options
    VanPelt81VanPelt81 Posts: 2,990 Member
    hyphenated names if they're equals otherwise the dominant/breadwinner sim is the one that keeps their last name (unless a sim is a doctor in that case they both keep their last names).
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    I often just let both spouses keep their names. And hyphenate their kids' if they decide to have any. But because of length limits, I sometimes have to truncate or blend the names instead.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    VannaMarieVannaMarie Posts: 39 Member
    I normally go with whichever surname suits them both best. When my Paige West and Lana Hayes got married, I decided to change Lana's last name, just because I thought Lana West sounded better than Paige Hayes. :smile:
  • Options
    I usually just leave them with the name they had unless I really hate it
  • Options
    citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    edited September 2018
    Hyphenate or leave it alone. I do this with pretty much all my couples.
    Post edited by citysimmer on
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• Options
    Phantasi33Phantasi33 Posts: 181 Member
    I don't change the surnames for same sex couples. I have MCCC, so I just let the mod determine which person takes on their spouse's new last name.
  • Options
    SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,227 Member
    Most of mine end up hyphenated, either alphabetically or in whatever order I decide sounds better. Though with one of my legacy families, I decided to keep only the name of the 2nd generation heir, not her wife's.
    image.png
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,673 Member
    I didn't marry many same sex couples yet, but in my game it would be the same rule no matter. It's always the couple with the highest social status (which often means bringing the most values into the relation), that keeps the lastname. If none of them own a house, it will be the highest social status alone, which I keep track on through my on the side DNA. But I guess you will normally have a feeling for which of them being the most fortunate etc. The only exception might be if the lastname is already used by many households, say if there were many siblings all well situated, then I might go for the other sim's lastname, or make a new variant by combining the two.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    ernesdoernesdo Posts: 1,476 Member
    MCCC does the older sim's name for same sex couples, but for my own ones it depends on the couple - they'll either keep their own names, hyphenate, or both take one sim's name. The only thing my sims haven't done (yet) is make up a new last name by mashing up their last names (they have named kids with that name though!).
  • Options
    TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    Depends on the story for me. If one is marrying into a higher-status family and it's a story where that matters, they usually take the higher-status name. Otherwise I base it on the personality of the couple. I wish we could have longer surnames because most of my names won't hyphenate properly.
  • Options
    EmihahneEmihahne Posts: 40 Member
    I like the idea of combining the last names!
  • Options
    AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member
    I just go with what the game gives me.
    F€€Ł ŦĦ€ ŴΔV€ ØF ŞØỮŇĐ, ΔŞ ƗŦ ĆŘΔŞĦ€Ş ĐØŴŇ

ĴØIŇ UŞ ĆØŇŞUΜ€ ŦĦ€ FŘUIŦ ØF ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ KŇØŴ P€ΔĆ€
  • Options
    thatsnotswegthatsnotsweg Posts: 697 Member
    Usually I just don't change their names, unless it's a Sim I'm playing, then I will either choose whichever is the legacy name or hyphenate it depending on what I'm feeling at the time.
    gallery ID: thatsnotsweg

vYCrjvm.png
  • Options
    LoriTSpLoriTSp Posts: 451 Member
    I generally let MCCC choose the last name for same sex couples. I will, however, on occasion, make the last name the same as the person who proposed.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    LoriTSp wrote: »
    I generally let MCCC choose the last name for same sex couples. I will, however, on occasion, make the last name the same as the person who proposed.

I always combine the two last names with a Hyphen.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    LanieBorneLanieBorne Posts: 74 Member
    I sometimes come up with an entirely new name that suits them.
  • Options
    QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    LoriTSp wrote: »

I always combine the two last names with a Hyphen.
    What do you do when two sims with hyphenated names marry?
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    I will either hyphenate the two surnames together or keep them the same and give their children both surnames hyphenated.
  • Options
    MuggyQuasarMuggyQuasar Posts: 169 Member
    I double barrel if I can, or just choose whichever feels most appropriate if not. My Legacy family is always a double barrel to indicate the different generations.

Side note, in real life when I got (same sex) married, I took my wife's name simply on the basis that it was way cooler than mine.
    lgYUYx0.jpg
  • Options
    HepburnismHepburnism Posts: 33 Member
    I normally hyphen both of their last names
  • Options
    taydevtaydev Posts: 912 Member
    My same sex couples either keep their own last names or combine them.
  • Options
    Aeriexo11Aeriexo11 Posts: 646 Member
    I do different things based on whatever I decide. For example, in my legacy save I have a same sex couple (or had, rip one of them) and they conjoined their names. Their names are Beatrix Vatore and Jalisa Spencer. I decided they would both change their names to Vancer. Then I have other couples in game who simply keep their own names, hyphenate, take one name, etc. Just whatever I decide to do at that moment. Sometimes I even do this to couples of the opposite sex. It spices up gameplay and adds to the story lines I create for them.

I love that you can make up your own rules on some topics.
  • Options
    Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,184 Member
    In my country we don't have the traditional lastnames or surnames and the wife never takes the guy's name and vise versa. But as I play the Sims in english with english names (yes, even Sims that I create myself) I just do it the english way. Either the wife takes her husband's name or they hyphenate. My gay couples hyphenate. I have a lesbian couple where the girls just didn't bother and both have their original surnames. They find their dedication to each other and their wedding bands is quite enough. I also have a straight couple where the wife didn't take her husband's last name till ages after they were married. And their first child bore her last name only even though they were just about married when the little girl was born. But that was for story reasons.
  • Options
    Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    edited January 2019
    I've only ever played same-sex male couples in any of the sims franchises. I remember being able to hyphenate their names easily in ts3, but I don't think I could in ts4. I don't think that it ever gave me that option.

Since I rarely play ts4, I've only ever played one same-sex couple... so when they got married I had to let them keep their individual names because there was no other option. Annoyingly, I still get the notice that they want to get married when they're already married. Another annoyance is the notification that they want to "try for baby" when they're both cisgender males.
  • Options
    CorenrenCorenren Posts: 592 Member
    Depends, sometimes I combine the names. If the names are too long to combine, then I just use the name of whoever is more "manly", or I use which one I like best, or whoever I have played longer.
    2ynjgg8.png