Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you decide on the name to go with in a same sex marriages?

LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
Earlier today my game pulled a doozy on me. I ended up quitting without saving because it up and got my sim's new boyfriend married off to someone else. Also what happened was there were also several same-sex couples getting married. It was at that point I wasn't sure what to do, I get to decide on their last name at marriage.

So my question, when you have a same-sex couple get married, how do you decide on which name to go with? Do you name them after the older person, the younger person, or do you do a combination of their last names, such as Smith-Jones? Or do you do something entirely different?

Comments

• Options
    ohmyohmyohmyohmy Posts: 614 Member
    i just combine their names like i do with straight couples.
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    In my native culture we don't care about changing surnames when married, regardless if they're same-sex or otherwise. Therefore, I keep their names the same in most households. However, sometimes if I do like one of the married names better I will usually just combine it together like Smith-Jones, but only if it can fit in the text box. You can also combine their surnames into a brand new one, such as my own RL surname.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    I don't change the name? We don't get the option.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    In my native culture we don't care about changing surnames when married, regardless if they're same-sex or otherwise. Therefore, I keep their names the same in most households. However, sometimes if I do like one of the married names better I will usually just combine it together like Smith-Jones, but only if it can fit in the text box. You can also combine their surnames into a brand new one, such as my own RL surname.

I hadn't thought about this before. I really do like this, I am trying to change things up a bit in my game.
  • Options
    Simpkin wrote: »

I get this option because of the MCCC mod.
  • Options
    ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member

I usually rename them in CAS. I usually just choose which name I like better,
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • Options
    LaBlue0314 wrote: »

I hadn't thought about this before. I really do like this, I am trying to change things up a bit in my game.

Yup! My surname is comprised of portions of both my parent's first and last names combined together. It's a bit hard to pronounce though.
  • Options
    ldmarko wrote: »

I usually rename them in CAS. I usually just choose which name I like better,

That too, almost forgot about that one. The funny part was I just did this earlier today. My sim is a foster mom, and she adopts children and pets. I have to manually go in CAS to change the children's last name to match up with their adopted parents. If any are wondering this is another mod over at LittleMsSam.
  • Options
    EIisabettaEIisabetta Posts: 5,708 Member
    I let it choose one. If it's a sim related to my family, I'll go back into CAS and change it if it doesn't choose that name.
    moxiegraphix on Origin
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    I do it the same as I do for my opposite sex marriages.
    It depends on what I feel like at the time. I rarely change names, unless I'm playing a historical setting, or legacy or something like that.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Both names with a hyphen.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    Any that are game/MCCC generated I leave, I never bother changing unplayed Sims names. If it’s a Sim couple I’m playing, I usually choose the surname of the Sim that proposed.
  • Options
    LosaruTaiyoLosaruTaiyo Posts: 10,807 Member
    Depends on a couple things. Usually I go by who asks who or which last name sounds better. Sometimes I hyphenate if maybe one of them doesn't want to change it
    D6PfW.jpg?1322673184

I have no memory of this place. Time to start anew I guess
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    edited September 2018
    I usually hyphenate their names in alphabetical order if that makes any sense.
  • Options
    hunniboo1hunniboo1 Posts: 1,510 Member
    I thought the game chose automatically
    2llotup.jpg
    The Best of Hunni's Builds
    Feel free to follow my builds!!!!!!:)
  • Options
    hunniboo1 wrote: »
    I thought the game chose automatically

In Sims 3 maybe, but not in Sims 4 without mods.
  • Options
    kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    stuff like this is actually why i really dislike the fact that it was recently changed from 'sims keep their old name' when married. anyone that wanted them to take their partners name or anyone that wanted to hyphenate names would have to go edit them afterwards (and i was fine with that. i did it with more than a few households). now, anyone that wanted their sims to keep their old family names, or the husband to take the wife's name (...like happened with the landgraabs, if you read their bio) or want to hyphenate get to go edit the household after the ceremony/eloping

my 'main' household, the venatici family... the (alien) matron has the venatici surname. as do all the kids. the husband kept his surname of ritter. yet, when they changed the way names were handled post-wedding, suddenly ara was ara ritter. even though the sims got married real life years ago. it was frustrating having to fix that, and go back and double check every other already married household to change the ones that didn't take the man's name originally
  • Options
    JibartJibart Posts: 28 Member
    Depends on the family and story line, but usually just pick one .
  • Options
    sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    I hyphenate the surnames whenever possible, however, it tends to get unwieldy after the first generation.
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    edited September 2018
    I hyphenate. I put them in whichever order sounds the best to me. There's no real reason I put one name before the other rather than, I like the way it sounds better. Unless its a legacy, then the spouse takes the legacy family name. In the case of multiple generations of same sex marriages I default to the original familial hyphenate. So the Benson-Wylder family would remain the Benson-Wylder family throughout the remaining generations sort of like they've become their own legacy family.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    Changing your name when you marry is not a thing where I come from. I have since lived in countries where it's the common thing but it still really alien to me.
    So in game, everyone keeps their names. Sometimes if I make a married couple in CAS (straight or gay) I'll choose just one last name for both but it doesn't belong to any of them specifically since they don't have a back story at that point.
    Then if they have children I usually combine both parents' last names or I give the children the mother's (if I feel like it and it's a heterosexual couple).
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    My daughter and her wife combined their surnames into something that seems like a feasible surname, and so that is what I do. So, for example if I were to have Yuki Behr and Luna Villareal get married I would change the surname to Behreal or something similar.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member

You can set the option in MC Command Center to change names, either when Sims get married or a short time later. I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do; if I have control of the couple (like if one of my played Sims gets hitched) I'll either do a hyphenated name or go with whichever Sim is older.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    PearLadyPearLady Posts: 207 Member
    Interesting discussion. Usually a tricky deal for me, depending on the situation. MCCC helps out a bit and I'll change as need be. In my current legacy, I'm trying to keep with just one surname for the most part (everyone is married into the family), although there are "exceptions", like one of my sims I decided to hyphenate after the game or mod changed it to the husband's name. Helps me see the lineage at a glance when interacting with sims outside the main household.
    Don't anger the fruit. It may make her toot (at you). ;)
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited September 2018
    Depends. I usually go with the one I play the most or sometimes what sounds good.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)