Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Dishonest Trailer

124...Next

Comments

• Options
    ReksohReksoh Posts: 303 Member
    make more people want to buy the pack and get more money. I admire your bravery for pointing this out OP. I wish more simmers would speak up on their distaste with what practices they don't like going on with the game but I fear some if then are scared to do because of backlash.

That doesn't make any sense. The forum is largely negative criticism so I don't see why anyone would "fear" putting their opinion out there just because it's negative. In my experience people get attacked whether they have positive opinions or negative ones.
    And I also wish more simmers wouldn't downplay others simmers opinions of the game. If you have nothing nice to say about someone and their opinions or nothing to add to the discussion hats relevant it's best to skip this post and move on. 🤷

What you call downplaying is just disagreement. In my opinion, if the only misleading thing about this trailer is the noise that occurs 1 minute into the video, then it is already a vast improvement over all of the other trailers. And pardon you, but having a disagreement doesn't make a comment irrelevant to the discussion.
  • Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    edited November 2018
    Reksoh wrote: »
    make more people want to buy the pack and get more money. I admire your bravery for pointing this out OP. I wish more simmers would speak up on their distaste with what practices they don't like going on with the game but I fear some if then are scared to do because of backlash.

That doesn't make any sense. The forum is largely negative criticism so I don't see why anyone would "fear" putting their opinion out there just because it's negative. In my experience people get attacked whether they have positive opinions or negative ones.
    And I also wish more simmers wouldn't downplay others simmers opinions of the game. If you have nothing nice to say about someone and their opinions or nothing to add to the discussion hats relevant it's best to skip this post and move on. 🤷

What you call downplaying is just disagreement. In my opinion, if the only misleading thing about this trailer is the noise that occurs 1 minute into the video, then it is already a vast improvement over all of the other trailers. And pardon you, but having a disagreement doesn't make a comment irrelevant to the discussion.

You misinterpreted what I said. What I mean is if you have nothing to add relevant to the discussing, besides agreeing or disagreeing. What I mean by irrelevant is off topic like, for example, mentioning OP accepting other advertisements in her life which had nothing to do with the initial topic. I never said disagreeing was irrelevant to the topic lol. You're just putting words in my mouth. Let me also add I see a lot of positive things in the forums as well. There are just more criticism in the feedback section which should be expected. If you take a look at general discussion and you will see alot of positive posts about the game. Then again I guess that's really a matter of opinion. Like the whole glass is half full or half empty mindset. I've seen a lot of people get attacked, in the past, when they disagree with something about the game. This thread can be used as a perfect example. Some simmers hopped on OPs back about her feelings toward the trailer seemingly making her opinion seem irrelevant just because our society is surrounded by corporations who use the same techniques in marketing as EA with the sims 4.

And as far as my comment about about not saying anything nice, Telling a group of people in a thread that they lack common sense is pretty unnecessary and adds nothing to the discussion that's all I was getting at. We are free to agree and disagree that's what discussions are about. We should not be insulting each other though. I hope I cleared that up.

"Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    ReksohReksoh Posts: 303 Member
    edited November 2018

You misinterpreted what I said. What I mean is if you have nothing to add relevant to the discussing, besides agreeing or disagreeing. What I mean by irrelevant is off topic like, for example, mentioning OP accepting other advertisements in her life which had nothing to do with the initial topic.
    These posts are very much relevant to the discussion. They're not irrelevant just because you say so. If someone is going to make a claim as big as false advertising then it's important that they understand what it means. This is why people gave examples, because by the logic in this thread nearly everything is false advertising.
    I never said disagreeing was irrelevant to the topic lol. You're just putting words in my mouth.

Well, when you make a statement like "if someone doesn't have anything nice to say about someones opinion they should move on" it is clearly an attack on disagreement. I didn't misinterpret that or put words in your mouth, if anything maybe you simply miswrote what you meant.
    I've seen a lot of people get attacked, in the past, when they disagree with something about the game. This thread can be used as a perfect example. Some simmers hopped on OPs back about her feelings toward the trailer seemingly making her opinion seem irrelevant just because our society is surrounded by corporations who use the same techniques in marketing as EA with the sims 4.

It does not appear to me that these comments were made to make the OP's concern irrelevant. The OP has provided (in my opinion) good feedback on what they would have liked to seen for the ceremonies. I liked their ideas and I wish the pack were made the way yhey would have liked instead because I agree it would make it better. The point of disagreement is that the noise in the trailer makes it a scam or false advertising, which are very bold claims to make.

And I also think it is very important that people bought up old trailers to this discussion. Because as I said earlier, if the only dishonest thing in this trailer is that cheering sound, then it is a major step up in terms of accuracy when compared to older trailers. So instead of criticizing this particular trailer for being dishonest, maybe we should be praising it for being a major stride towards complete honesty.
  • Options
    vikixcvikixc Posts: 330 Member
    vikixc wrote: »
    Could you imagine if they used actual gameplay footage in the trailers? It'd just be a video of a Sim standing around with a creepy grin for 30 seconds after you tell them to do something or a snowball fight that takes an afternoon to throw 2 snowballs. I don't think they'd make any sales at all if this were how they did it :lol:

You aren't wrong. Thats the reality.

I can think of plenty of games this year that have shown in game footage only. It can be done. The past few trailers have always been misleading. Its not okay.

RDR2 is a prime example.

That game is even making me consider buying a PS4 just to play it. It wasn't rushed out and it really shows.
    2UFyFUV.png

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Reksoh wrote: »

You misinterpreted what I said. What I mean is if you have nothing to add relevant to the discussing, besides agreeing or disagreeing. What I mean by irrelevant is off topic like, for example, mentioning OP accepting other advertisements in her life which had nothing to do with the initial topic.
    These posts are very much relevant to the discussion. They're not irrelevant just because you say so. If someone is going to make a claim as big as false advertising then it's important that they understand what it means. This is why people gave examples, because by the logic in this thread nearly everything is false advertising.
    I never said disagreeing was irrelevant to the topic lol. You're just putting words in my mouth.

Well, when you make a statement like "if someone doesn't have anything nice to say about someones opinion they should move on" it is clearly an attack on disagreement. I didn't misinterpret that or put words in your mouth, if anything maybe you simply miswrote what you meant.
    I've seen a lot of people get attacked, in the past, when they disagree with something about the game. This thread can be used as a perfect example. Some simmers hopped on OPs back about her feelings toward the trailer seemingly making her opinion seem irrelevant just because our society is surrounded by corporations who use the same techniques in marketing as EA with the sims 4.

It does not appear to me that these comments were made to make the OP's concern irrelevant. The OP has provided (in my opinion) good feedback on what they would have liked to seen for the ceremonies. I liked their ideas and I wish the pack were made the way yhey would have liked instead because I agree it would make it better. The point of disagreement is that the noise in the trailer makes it a scam or false advertising, which are very bold claims to make.

And I also think it is very important that people bought up old trailers to this discussion. Because as I said earlier, if the only dishonest thing in this trailer is that cheering sound, then it is a major step up in terms of accuracy when compared to older trailers. So instead of criticizing this particular trailer for being dishonest, maybe we should be praising it for being a major stride towards complete honesty.

If you want to take what I said out of context so be it I know what I said and I know what I meant when I said it. I don't understand how telling a group of people they lack common sense is seen as a disagreement and not insulting, but I guess an insult is also a matter of opinion as well and that's fine I'm not losing any sleep over it lol. But I'm starting to see It's pretty obvious we stand on two different ground here when it comes to our opinions so it's best we agree to disagree and move on. Good day ✌️
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Could you imagine if they used actual gameplay footage in the trailers? It'd just be a video of a Sim standing around with a creepy grin for 30 seconds after you tell them to do something or a snowball fight that takes an afternoon to throw 2 snowballs. I don't think they'd make any sales at all if this were how they did it :lol:

I can think of plenty of games this year that have shown in game footage only. It can be done. The past few trailers have always been misleading. Its not okay.

RDR2 is a prime example.

That game is even making me consider buying a PS4 just to play it. It wasn't rushed out and it really shows.

If you know you took your time and really put an effort into a game then there is no reason to add any "extras" into the trailer. You can let your game speak for itself.
  • Options
    Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »
    There's false advertisement everywhere that food you see in commercials? Fake steam is probably wet tampons that been in the microwave for a few mintues. Ice Cream is (if the product being sold is a topping) probably mashed potatoes dyed. if it has something that needs foam on top it's probably is liqud soap. and if its cereal it's glue not milk on it..

Sometimes the "real thing" doesn't translate well on screen. So special effects are employed to make it as close to the real thing as possible.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • Options
    EA_LannaEA_Lanna Posts: 3,867 EA Community Manager
    edited November 2018
    Folks, reminder of The Sims forum rules:
    • Keep it on-topic. If someone created a thread, it's because they're looking for an answer to their question or want to discuss a specific topic. Changing the topic of the thread isn't helpful.
    • Be polite and kind. Respect others even if they have a different opinion. If you disagree with someone, you are free to do so politely, but please don't make it personal. Respect also means you never harass, embarrass, or threaten other players.

If you feel a post is breaking these rules rather than responding in the thread to it and further derailing things, please use the flag button and we can always check it out.
    • New Simmers, take a moment to read through this thread.
    • The Help Center is hosted on Answers HQ. Check out EA_Mage's thread on why.
    • Please post all Sims 4 Bug Reports, Technical and Gameplay issues in the AHQ Sims 4 Section.
    • Here is a quick link to The Sims forum rules
    oa2aib6yaucg.jpg

• Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Regarding what we can do, OP and the rest of us: The main site, whether EA in general or for the Sims, has a 'contact us' option. This is usually at the bottom of the page. I submit that we use it, tell them how we feel and why. I remember eons ago in undergrad days being told that 1 letter from a customer is counted as 1000, because most folks won't write. The numbers may be different now, but the principle is the same, politely but firmly and clearly tell them what you think and why.
  • Options
    Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    You have to take it with a grain of salt when it comes to what they show you in a video. It is scripted to look like more then it really is. Take the hot air balloon in Aurora Skies as a example. One of their catch phrases was, "Go sightseeing with friends!" They tried to make you believe the hot air balloon actually moved across the sky. It didn't. All it did was go up and down or you could use it to teleport. Not much excitement in that. Just a marketing trick.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Regarding what we can do, OP and the rest of us: The main site, whether EA in general or for the Sims, has a 'contact us' option. This is usually at the bottom of the page. I submit that we use it, tell them how we feel and why. I remember eons ago in undergrad days being told that 1 letter from a customer is counted as 1000, because most folks won't write. The numbers may be different now, but the principle is the same, politely but firmly and clearly tell them what you think and why.

Nowadays I believe social media is more effective, it makes it public and influences potential customers and has the potential to turn them away.
    UPS smashed one of my packages up, I sent them emails and they ignored all of them and I don't have time to sit on hold for hours so I decided to post pictures of the damage on Twitter. I had a response within seconds and a solution about 2 weeks after posting my complaint.

With EA though, their tactics are well known, they have shown time and time again they don't really care and they will carry on doing what they do to the point where countries have to create laws to stop them (loot boxes).

This part isn't directed at you but just as a general note for people saying: "don't buy the game if you don't like it." It's all well and good telling people not to buy The Sims, but EA doesn't have a serious competitor. If you want a life simulation there's nowhere else to turn, so we don't really have much choice.

I still wish Rockstar would take them on. Unfortunately, I doubt it will ever happen xD
    2UFyFUV.png

• Options
    QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member

Nowadays I believe social media is more effective, it makes it public and influences potential customers and has the potential to turn them away.
    UPS smashed one of my packages up, I sent them emails and they ignored all of them and I don't have time to sit on hold for hours so I decided to post pictures of the damage on Twitter. I had a response within seconds and a solution about 2 weeks after posting my complaint.

With EA though, their tactics are well known, they have shown time and time again they don't really care and they will carry on doing what they do to the point where countries have to create laws to stop them (loot boxes).

This part isn't directed at you but just as a general note for people saying: "don't buy the game if you don't like it." It's all well and good telling people not to buy The Sims, but EA doesn't have a serious competitor. If you want a life simulation there's nowhere else to turn, so we don't really have much choice.

I still wish Rockstar would take them on. Unfortunately, I doubt it will ever happen xD

Oh yeah I definitely want the sims made by a company that expects 100 hour weeks.
  • Options
    QueenMercy wrote: »

Oh yeah I definitely want the sims made by a company that expects 100 hour weeks.

:rollseyes:

2UFyFUV.png

• Options
    edited November 2018

To be honest I think every company has its faults so it really wouldn't matter who would be the candidate to make their own version of the sims. Players would always find something to hold against the company (not saying they shouldn't just speaking in general here) But I think a little competition never hurt. Maybe that's what Eaxis needs when it comes to the sims.

If someone who is in track and always wins at hurdles because there is no one to compete with them can they really say they are doing their best? Now imagine if a competitor comes along. They actually have to prove they are the best.

Despite Rockstars Employment practices (100 hour weeks), I am curious as to see what type of "Sims" game Rockstar would make if they actually put an effort into doing so. As I do love their GTA games and RDR2 has really caught my eye. I wonder if they could successfully create what Maxis has done and if they would take a "darker" play style as well... But I too don't see it happening as I see we're stuck with Eaxis until the franchise is finished.
  • Options

Had to wait for my break to be able to elaborate on this.

They weren't working 100 hour weeks every single week, they said in an interview that is what they were doing when it came close to the launch to get everything ready.

"There seems to be some confusion arising from my interview with Harold Goldberg. The point I was trying to make in the article was related to how the narrative and dialogue in the game was crafted, which was mostly what we talked about, not about the different processes of the wider team. After working on the game for seven years, the senior writing team, which consists of four people, Mike Unsworth, Rupert Humphries, Lazlow and myself, had, as we always do, three weeks of intense work when we wrapped everything up. Three weeks, not years. We have all worked together for at least 12 years now, and feel we need this to get everything finished. After so many years of getting things organised and ready on this project, we needed this to check and finalise everything."

I'm working 60-80 hour weeks atm due to the run up to Christmas.

You have the ability to opt in and out of a maximum working hour week directive, you cannot be sacked or treated differently if you choose not to opt out, it is completely up to the individual. They're not forced into it.

2UFyFUV.png

• Options

To be honest I think every company has its faults so it really wouldn't matter who would be the candidate to make their own version of the sims. Players would always find something to hold against the company (not saying they shouldn't just speaking in general here) But I think a little competition never hurt. Maybe that's what Eaxis needs when it comes to the sims.

If someone who is in track and always wins at hurdles because there is no one to compete with them can they really say they are doing their best? Now imagine if a competitor comes along. They actually have to prove they are the best.

Despite Rockstars Employment practices (100 hour weeks), I am curious as to see what type of "Sims" game Rockstar would make if they actually put an effort into doing so. As I do love their GTA games and RDR2 has really caught my eye. I wonder if they could successfully create what Maxis has done and if they would take a "darker" play style as well... But I too don't see it happening as I see we're stuck with Eaxis until the franchise is finished.

Could you imagine a GTA 5 styled world with the ability to build and populate it yourself? :love: I'd love a story mode return to the Sims, I love R*'s story telling.

A serious competitor would definitely make EA step up their game and give them a run for their money. Like I said there's nowhere else to turn to when it comes to the Sims, hence the shady trailers and the whole "less for your money" feeling it has currently.

2UFyFUV.png

• Options
    edited November 2018

Had to wait for my break to be able to elaborate on this.

They weren't working 100 hour weeks every single week, they said in an interview that is what they were doing when it came close to the launch to get everything ready.

"There seems to be some confusion arising from my interview with Harold Goldberg. The point I was trying to make in the article was related to how the narrative and dialogue in the game was crafted, which was mostly what we talked about, not about the different processes of the wider team. After working on the game for seven years, the senior writing team, which consists of four people, Mike Unsworth, Rupert Humphries, Lazlow and myself, had, as we always do, three weeks of intense work when we wrapped everything up. Three weeks, not years. We have all worked together for at least 12 years now, and feel we need this to get everything finished. After so many years of getting things organised and ready on this project, we needed this to check and finalise everything."

I'm working 60-80 hour weeks atm due to the run up to Christmas.

You have the ability to opt in and out of a maximum working hour week directive, you cannot be sacked or treated differently if you choose not to opt out, it is completely up to the individual. They're not forced into it.

Good to know! Thanks for the info 😊

Also wanted to add a response to your last post. I can only image how awesome it would be. I really enjoy their story lines! And their world's are immaculate as well! Heck I'd be willing to wait just as long (if not longer) as it took for them to finish RDR2 just to get a sims game from them.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    DreamaDove wrote: »
    I wasn't going to make a thread for this, but the more I think about it the more annoyed I get.

The new trailer for Get Famous advertises having award ceremonies like this:

https://youtu.be/pvMPTkj_HcQ?t=1m27s (1:27 mark)

notice the roar of a crowd? This suggests that these ceremonies will have hundreds of sims in attendance, which is realistic.

However, in the live stream they did an award ceremony with a total of 6 chairs, each sim had to be told to sit, and if they weren't they were just standing around like at weddings. When the sim getting the award started singing, they all crowded around her which would *not* happen at an actual award ceremony.

https://youtu.be/DV0WT8jPEPw?t=28m2s (28:07 mark)

The two portrayals of the award ceremony are vastly DIFFERENT. The trailer which suggests TONS of people showing up is straight up lying to consumers as what they acutally get if you they the expansion pack is not even close to that. I would have been happy with a couple dozen, but 6!?!?!!?

This is dishonest. It is false advertising. It is tricking consumers into buying a product and it. is. wrong.

and really, after seeing that misrepresentation, I can't help but wonder about the other aspects of the pack and whether what I get will be anywhere like what the trailers show. I don't like watching multiple 1.5 hr streams because I want to discover things myself. Therefore, I rely on trailers to know weather I will like something or not and so I want them to be a fair representation of the pack.

Not. A. Lie.

Yes, but they have been hoodwinking players since 2000. Marketing is not the place to go to see what is in the game, and or what might happen or not. But they aren't the only ones, many games do this and use CGI etc. to advertize their game and then you load it (old game) and find out it was in 2D. lol I remember that from one old game and I was like what? Because the game trailer and box art were all in 3D and then I opened the game to see it was all graphically challenged. As long as players over look marketing schemes it will continue from now on. It's been going on for hundreds and hundreds of years.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member

A serious competitor would definitely make EA step up their game and give them a run for their money. Like I said there's nowhere else to turn to when it comes to the Sims, hence the shady trailers and the whole "less for your money" feeling it has currently.

Somehow, I don't think that EA's reaction will be to compete. It's easier to sue. Or, in the case of Sim City, throw their hands up in defeat and not play at all.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    joyofliving37joyofliving37 Posts: 106 Member
    These trailers have always made it their priority to grasp your attention and your need to buy it, so a whole lot of video editing software and careful placement of things to make everything look good makes for a great trailer; not exactly the most accurate trailer, but the one that will get you nonetheless. I know it sure had me when I only just watched the City Living announcement trailer a month ago after having CL for almost a year now, and the trailer definitely got me excited, even though I knew in my heart that all of this was staged to look very, very well made.

Tell me the trailer didn't excite anyone when you first saw it? The song may have also helped a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W458QnCVQik

Absolutely! I also think the music in the trailers excites me and influences me more to buy new packs.

I love the game trailers and am never bothered that they don’t completely represent actual game play.
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member

RDR2 is a prime example.

IKR? XBox One X are going on sale within the next few days and I'm seriously considering it.

Really, I don't believe I thing I see in the trailers at this point. Sims 4, at least in my games, is now deader than Sims 3 ever was. It's a fun game, though, nonetheless. But nothing like the trailers.