May 23rd - It's time for a new Laundry List! You can read more on what's coming next here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do We Really Need Another Three Years? TS4 at Four Years Old

Comments

• Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,916 Member
    edited October 2018
    IngeJones wrote: »
    I know I am in the minority here, but I kind of see the new world as a side issue - just their way of giving us a few ready-made venues set up for exclusive VIP entry without messing up our existing worlds with new lots - remember how indignant we were in TS3 when they made festival lots that were designed to plop themselves into our already-edited worlds? The way I see an EP is I am buying new gameplay, any objects and worlds are simply in support of the new gameplay to get us started. I only have a few households that are suited to living in Hollywood, and they include Michael Jackson and Emma Watson. I also have members of the British royal family but they would hate it there, they have large country retreats in my game. All the other sims in my game will probably only go to Hollywood for evenings out. After all - it takes no longer to get from The Bluffs to a nightclub in the new world as it would to pop next door to the same club if you were already living there! :D

Agreed. Sims 4 style suits me and I make the game to suit me as well. It needs imagination and more control than previous games as the Sims have more AI to do their own thing. It seems to play better in Slow mode to thoroughly control it properly.
    I've played all of the iterations, bought everything and take each on it's own merits. I'm more interested in Terrain Tools than the expansion though.

Did you get your Royal family from the Gallery or did you make it yourself? Interested. :)

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2018
    Simburian wrote: »
    I know I am in the minority here, but I kind of see the new world as a side issue - just their way of giving us a few ready-made venues set up for exclusive VIP entry without messing up our existing worlds with new lots - remember how indignant we were in TS3 when they made festival lots that were designed to plop themselves into our already-edited worlds? The way I see an EP is I am buying new gameplay, any objects and worlds are simply in support of the new gameplay to get us started. I only have a few households that are suited to living in Hollywood, and they include Michael Jackson and Emma Watson. I also have members of the British royal family but they would hate it there, they have large country retreats in my game. All the other sims in my game will probably only go to Hollywood for evenings out. After all - it takes no longer to get from The Bluffs to a nightclub in the new world as it would to pop next door to the same club if you were already living there! :D

Agreed. Sims 4 style suits me and I make the game to suit me as well. It needs imagination and more control than previous games as the Sims have more AI to do their own thing. It seems to play better in Slow mode to thoroughly control it properly.
    I've played all of the iterations, bought everything and take each on it's own merits. I'm more interested in Terrain Tools than the expansion though.

Did you get your Royal family from the Gallery or did you make it yourself? Interested. :)

It hardly requires any imagination if everything is already laid out for you with fake backdrops where you must snuff out your imagination and forget building a small castle next to that wood pile (backdrop) in WC, it would be out of place next to that lumber yard. So, many ideas go down the drain. It takes more imagination to start from scratch, a blank template or world builder tool takes much more to start on a blank slate.

So I don't spam my own thread with too many posts I'll add this here. WB remains TS4 players' most loved world. There is a reason for that. It is more open, (Like TS3) Sims can go really far (like TS3) and though there may not be that much to do out in the middle of woods or fields it remains TS4's best world in many polls. It has more lots (another clue) and is very open. You would think Maxis would pay attention.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member

I think I got a couple of the characters off the gallery where I felt they'd captured them well, and also made some. It's just Charles, Camilla, Harry, Meghan, Kate, William (and their kids), and Beatrice. I wasn't happy I could get any likeness of the Queen as you really can't make the Queen full Sim height, it just doesn't look like her. I have Putin and Trump living together, who had been well made by a gallery artist.
  • Options

I think I got a couple of the characters off the gallery where I felt they'd captured them well, and also made some. It's just Charles, Camilla, Harry, Meghan, Kate, William (and their kids), and Beatrice. I wasn't happy I could get any likeness of the Queen as you really can't make the Queen full Sim height, it just doesn't look like her. I have Putin and Trump living together, who had been well made by a gallery artist.

Thanks. Putin and Trump living together looks good especially if Brawl day comes round. Fight! :p I think Putin is quite small as well so it's a pity one cannot have sliders in CAS these days.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited October 2018
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    No, I don't? I was happy with those lots and downloaded them right away. Why did they make you indignant? For me a new world has always been a very important part of the whole experience. And for me it's more than something to look at.

It was because many (if not most) people had already made their large parks into different types of lots and didn't like having to choose between having the park back (now festival/seasonal changing) or keeping the lot they had been working hard on. And some people were caught off guard and did not notice they had a choice so it overwrote by surprise. The gurus are aware of this, that's why they mention being careful not to alter lots on existing worlds.
    Didn’t you have to add the lot manually..? Or was that just when you played a Store world, that’s possible.
    (I hate this spontaneous getting placed into the world thing as well, though the game will always pick an empty lot usually, except maybe when it concerns the festival lot in an EP world)

Anyway, off topic, sorry ;)

Indeed, three more years doesn’t mean three more good years, that remains to be seen. For those who love the idea I definitely hope it will be that though.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options

I don’t feel sims in 4 tend to do their own thing more than they do in Sims 3 and since everything is more scripted, I on the contrary feel how my imagination constantly gets overruled. Also I press speed 3 quite often because animations last longer.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options

I don’t feel sims in 4 tend to do their own thing more than they do in Sims 3 and since everything is more scripted, I on the contrary feel how my imagination constantly gets overruled. Also I press speed 3 quite often because animations last longer.

It's not your game then. Luckily you still like Sims 3 and play it. I played that and bought everything but now I prefer Sims 4 more. Takes all sorts.

I do feel that there is a successor coming sometime and come with a subscription type payment and with a Windows 10 update attitude, an occasional addition from time to time, rather like a serial on TV. If they get the right engine but whether Simmers would like that I don't know. It would keep employees in regular work.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

It hardly requires any imagination if everything is already laid out for you with fake backdrops where you must snuff out your imagination and forget building a small castle next to that wood pile (backdrop) in WC, it would be out of place next to that lumber yard. So, many ideas go down the drain. It takes more imagination to start from scratch, a blank template or world builder tool takes much more to start on a blank slate.

So I don't spam my own thread with too many posts I'll add this here. WB remains TS4 players' most loved world. There is a reason for that. It is more open, (Like TS3) Sims can go really far (like TS3) and though there may not be that much to do out in the middle of woods or fields it remains TS4's best world in many polls. It has more lots (another clue) and is very open. You would think Maxis would pay attention.

I don't agree with this .. well for everyone. People play differently. It might kill your imagination to not have a blank slate. It doesn't mine sometimes it sets it off. Do I want things I don't have yet... yes I want a swamp, I'd like a rural area with dirt/packed roads, and I want a more alien looking world to colonize on.. because I already have stories I'd like to tell and see them happening in these worlds. Nearly every other story theme I have though can be played out in the areas we have. Sometimes new areas but more so.. gameplay items, careers, places to go and props/build items tend to bring out more story ideas for me.
    I don't know if my machine was bad when I played it but I don't remember looking around Sim 2 while playing and even seeing much more than was on my lot that I was playing at that time. Usually it just looked flat and dull surrounding me while playing my sim. If I had the settings where I could see other homes they usually looked dull/distant or like they were missing windows ect. That was not only .. well ugly (although I didn't think about it like that then), it didn't add anything to the feel of being in a world for me. The world there was the lot my sim(s) was on. In Sims 4 it's there all around me. My sims look out the windows and their are engaging views beyond their lot. They jog in it. Everything they do is surrounded by it. It makes me feel good to be there in my sims telling their stories. It's like another layer. I wouldn't want to build those worlds from the ground up and I absolutely know I'm not lacking in imagination. It's just not my thing to do so. I could have an idea but I know I wouldn't have the drive to day after day build it up (building wise). I know Sims 3 was better in that respect.. I just couldn't tolerate the art style enough to attempt to enjoy it (that isn't an overall put down.. it's a personal feeling when I play. I know people loved the way it looked). I also don't look at the world view from overhead and ohh and ahhh over it in any game because.. it's not where my game play happens. It's a map. My stories for my sims take place with my sims directly in their houses and surroundings.
    I also wanted to comment on the Windenburg being the most loved world. It is for me also. It's the most beautiful one to me. But it isn't the most played one. I even vote for it on the polls but really I still start out way more often in Oasis Springs or Willow Creek. Mostly because the neighborhoods being closer in makes it easier for me to start my sims off, especially if they are starting from scratch. They might move on later to another world when they have the money to afford better houses.. and then I use all the worlds, some more than others but I try to mix it up so I'll see different things. If they are using telemetry to track what we actually play more I'm sure that feeds into what the way they chose to build the worlds.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    No, I don't? I was happy with those lots and downloaded them right away. Why did they make you indignant? For me a new world has always been a very important part of the whole experience. And for me it's more than something to look at.

It was because many (if not most) people had already made their large parks into different types of lots and didn't like having to choose between having the park back (now festival/seasonal changing) or keeping the lot they had been working hard on. And some people were caught off guard and did not notice they had a choice so it overwrote by surprise. The gurus are aware of this, that's why they mention being careful not to alter lots on existing worlds.
    Didn’t you have to add the lot manually..?

Later on I think they improved how it worked, but I remember a time when you got offered the lot to overwrite your existing park lot (which may have no longer even been a park at that time) or not use it at all. So it did cause some people to get fedup.

• Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member

Later on I think they improved how it worked, but I remember a time when you got offered the lot to overwrite your existing park lot (which may have no longer even been a park at that time) or not use it at all. So it did cause some people to get fedup.

Exactly.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    edited October 2018

It's not your game then. Luckily you still like Sims 3 and play it. I played that and bought everything but now I prefer Sims 4 more. Takes all sorts.

I do feel that there is a successor coming sometime and come with a subscription type payment and with a Windows 10 update attitude, an occasional addition from time to time, rather like a serial on TV. If they get the right engine but whether Simmers would like that I don't know. It would keep employees in regular work.
    It isn’t really, no (my game, though I do play it) and like I indeed said the other day to someone: playing Sims 3 (I hadn’t for three months and picked up the game again this week) is very bad for my Sims 4 tolerance level. That wasn’t my point here though ;) You said Sims 4 needs imagination, I say Sims 4 overrules the player’s imagination. You said sims have more AI to do their own thing, I say they don’t. You say it plays better in slow mode, I say the animations that last way longer than in the predecessors are a reason to in fact speed it up more. My post wasn’t about what game suits us, I was disagreeing with the reasons you gave.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options

Yes, I was playing in Sunlit Tides when they released Seasons and I remember I had to download the festival lot through the Exchange (a developer/guru had created it) and I had to replace the lot in my game. I don’t really understand the problem though (unless indeed you had changed that particular lot but I don’t really understand what should have been the alternative or what the connection is with the tiny world for GF).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member

Yes, I was playing in Sunlit Tides when they released Seasons and I remember I had to download the festival lot through the Exchange (a developer/guru had created it) and I had to replace the lot in my game. I don’t really understand the problem though (unless indeed you had changed that particular lot but I don’t really understand what should have been the alternative or what the connection is with the tiny world for GF).

IIRC, Seasons included festival lots for the EP worlds, but you had to place them manually. However, other lots would place automatically if there was an empty lot. I used a mod to stop that as bulldozing lots with buffs would remove the buff.
  • Options
    Felicity wrote: »

IIRC, Seasons included festival lots for the EP worlds, but you had to place them manually. However, other lots would place automatically if there was an empty lot. I used a mod to stop that as bulldozing lots with buffs would remove the buff.
    Yes, I guess they meant that as a gesture but it indeed was annoying, would have been better to just leave that to players.
    (still not sure however what this has to do with the tiny world in GF and this topic in general ;))
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Ok the point I had been trying to make was that they probably don't really want to give us any more residential lots at all, really, because the more residential lots there are to fill, the more sims we will make, the more of them will be "our" sims that we don't want culled etc, and we already know that total number of sims is one of the things that affects performance. So they would have probably preferred not to give us any more lots at all, which means no more worlds at all, so they're rationing the number of lots with each new world to try not to end up with more lots than the game can happily support by the time all the EPs and new worlds are out.

• Options
    GarethlexGarethlex Posts: 159 Member
    edited October 2018
    You guys talk about budget as if this is a blockbuster movie.... it’s a game ! They have different departments under one roof that work on different aspects of the game ! There’s a concept which is followed and I’m guessing the time frame and game optimisation is what makes this game fall short especially this whole thing about lots so they will simplify what we get in future packs but they will continue to charge us a fortune great !
  • Options
    luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,653 Member

Ok the point I had been trying to make was that they probably don't really want to give us any more residential lots at all, really, because the more residential lots there are to fill, the more sims we will make, the more of them will be "our" sims that we don't want culled etc, and we already know that total number of sims is one of the things that affects performance. So they would have probably preferred not to give us any more lots at all, which means no more worlds at all, so they're rationing the number of lots with each new world to try not to end up with more lots than the game can happily support by the time all the EPs and new worlds are out.

That's what I've been thinking. I don't imagine that was their original vision for the direction of the game. So something must have happened performance wise for them to decide to put out a new world with such a small number of lots in addition to a hidden lot.

From what I've seen so far, I don't have a lot of faith in their ability to fix the problem of poor performance. Which is just another reason that I think it's time to move on to The Sims 5. However, while they are making a lot of money on The Sims 4, that's not going to happen any time soon. :(
  • Options

I don't know if this is exactly it but I do wonder if it plays into it. In my game I set it to 80 sims... I think the next level is 150 so I know when I hit 80 the game tells me. At that point I'll set to 150 and won't go past that in the save. I'm very aware that even though I can make more sims I'm in the "cool it" phase. I played on the top end once I forget what the cull number is there if at all but I have multiple 8 sim families (all celebrity caricatures) and I do have problems with my games when I play it. Loading times are longer and although I was playing with a mod I got more pausing and standing around and other things happening.
    I rarely go past 80 because I play multiple saves and just don't have to have more than that many played saved sims going usually.
    I think there is a segment of simmers who would set the game to max even if their computer couldn't run it but complain about performance overall .. like it is the games fault. When they should know those culling limits are there for a reason.
    Please don't assume I'm lumping everyone that experiences problems in with this though by the way, but I'm sure simmers some fit in this area. There are simmers that just want to keep building and building and filling and filling. If they have a super machine and no problems they can have at it.
    Even though I love getting more areas and worlds I won't be filling them. Sometimes in one save most of them live in one or two worlds. Extras might live in an outskirt area.
    Unfortunately they EA/Maxis maybe feeling like they have to hold our hands a little here if we can't police ourselves.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    @Hermitgirl I like the idea of playing with a cap of 80 sims. Possibly a viable option for simmers who aren't using high end machines. However, I'm thinking there's more to the problem than just the number of sims/lots played. For example, I've experienced a lot of lag ever since Cats and Dogs when I never had that problem before. I could play at 200 sims with no problem. Now, I experience lag even when starting a new save with a minimum number of sims in the game. Admittedly, i don't have a gaming computer, but my desktop is still good enough that I shouldn't have problems when playing the game with only a minimal number of sims. I believe there's a performance issue within the game itself. I'm no computer expert so I could be totally wrong, but it seems like common sense to me. Why am I having a problem after Cats and Dogs when i had no problem before that (other than the usual bugs most of us had to deal with since the start of The Sims 4). In my opinion, it shouldn't be that way and something is wrong with the game performance wise.

What you say may have merit. The number of sims/lots seems to play into game performance since they have started putting a cap at 80, 200, etc. However, there are some simmers who have a lot of programming/computer knowledge that say the number of sims/lots should have nothing to do with performance. Which makes sense to me since we don't have the entire game world loaded at one time. We are just playing in the neighborhood we are in at any given moment.

I believe they are having a performance issue which they don't want to tell us about. Maybe they will figure it out, maybe they won't. I just know it's been an unending series of problems from the start and i'm getting very tired of having to deal with it. It really saddens me as I have been a huge fan from almost the very beginning. :'(

sorry about the really long post. It was necessary to fully explain where I am coming from. And, again, I may be way off base. lol
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Omg, lol, some statements here have made me dread the future of this game and the series. For instance, the fact if they are building TS5 or a Triple A game I would like, I might have to go back to using Windows 10 :s:'( I can't stand that OS. I tried it, uninstalled it and went to repurchase Windows 7 after the free offer of W10 to users. That is so cringe worthy. :/

The fact you guys have said maybe they are limiting lots because yes, I would create more of my own Sims to live in those lots and that hurts performance (I know this game has a problem with too many Sims) and that would mean they were tying my hands, again, because when I was playing TS4 I had Sims in every district of every world. That's how I roll as a rotational player. That is also cringe worthy and makes me dread any new worlds they may decide to limit. :/

ETA: It's my understanding that mannequins count as Sims and so do the pets, so yeah, that limits how many you can have if you want your own population and rid your game of Maxis townies. It limits how many I put in my stores, and how many pets my Sims could have. Because as I said I played every district in every world.
  • Options
    @Cinebar thanks for the insight on Windows 10. I'm still using Windows 7 and haven't gotten a new computer since Windows 10 came out. Now I'm dreading getting a new computer. lol :o

as for the limits of the game, I feel your pain @Cinebar. :(
  • Options
    Well I still play smooth as long as I stay at the mid range with all EP's added I was really worried about Cats and Dogs when it came out. Seasons doesn't seem to affect it. The only thing so far that seems to affect it for me is having the upper end of sims/their housing plus mods. So that's telling me as non-technical as I am that for me adding too much in does affect my game.
    Again I'm happy my play style is what it is. A new save game for a new theme. When people say they have been playing the same save since day one and have no room .. I can't even imagine.
    My computer does meet requirements but it's getting a little long in the tooth. It doesn't meet requirements for some of the newer games out there.
    So @Cinebar you don't pay attention to culling limits at all? Does your game run smoothly when you play it?
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    @Cinebar thanks for the insight on Windows 10. I'm still using Windows 7 and haven't gotten a new computer since Windows 10 came out. Now I'm dreading getting a new computer. lol :o

as for the limits of the game, I feel your pain @Cinebar. :(

I still play a lot of my old games of all sorts that are on discs. Windows 10's OS has a built in feature to block any cd with SafeDisc as the DRM. There are very few work arounds for this (unless you find the game as a DL) if you want to still play those old games. TS2 is one of them. Though EA did give away TS2UC but have now tied it to Origin just like they did TS3. It also can't use a lot of programs and utilities some of us would still like to use. It also dumped Media Center which was their short sightedness, because now people are actully cord cutting the cable etc. going with streaming providers and or an antenna for free broadcast TV. Media utilities are very limited in 10 unless you want Google, or someone always looking over your shoulder. Remember if an app is 'free' it's tracking everything you do. That's why it's free. And though people think they have turned off their apps in such an OS they really haven't. You have to read fine print for any app and Opt Out and then they are pretty much useless. There is never anything actually free in life, and all those apps and offers are hooks. ETA: And MS thinking they should tell users what updates to install (they can't really refuse them now) is pompous. :D
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited October 2018
    I had no problem at all going to Windows 10. Also some of the issues users most complained of in the beginning has been fixed so it actually is very easy to use now. I love Windows 10 so much better than Windows 7 now - I could never go back. LOL.

I use Windows 10 home and hubby has Windows 10 Pro - and we both prefer them now over 7 - but it was not like that when we first got it. All the updates and redo's they have done to 10 really does make it easier than using Window 7.

Also windows 7 is losing all support from Microsoft in the next year and a few months (January 1 of 2020) - so using it will not be a good idea anyway.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    I had no problem at all going to Windows 10. Also some of the issues users most complained of in the beginning has been fixed so it actually is very easy to use now. I love Windows 10 so much better than Windows 7 now - I could never go back. LOL.

Green Eggs and Ham, I don't like apps, and I like a file system that makes sense. :) Apps are for phones. :#
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top