Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do We Really Need Another Three Years? TS4 at Four Years Old

Comments

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2018
    Loanet wrote: »
    I often wonder how much money people who make the suggestion of the OP have spent so far on the game.

Are you asking me? I'm not sure, I can't remember which packs I purchased on sale. Limited Edition I know I got for half off the first week of TS4's release. Let's see which packs I do have and have played for the first three years.

GTW
    GT
    Vampires
    Dine Out
    Parenthood
    OR
    Spa Day
    Movie Stuff
    City Living
    Cool Kitchen

In order of release except OR I bought after GT.

And maybe a few more SPs or GP? I can't remember since I stopped playing last Aug. 2017 when my saves were wiped and out by the save system they had changed (twice, even my backups) and Origin was messing around and needed to be reinstalled every month or suggested by Origin to reinstall older version which also started to have to be reinstalled almost every month and then dealing with the three a month Origin patches each month. You might consider me a disgrunled player?

I probably am, but it sort of looks like I know what I'm talking about, doesn't it? Since I had the packs up until C&D. I mean I was purchasing packs and playing what for the first three years until they announced C&D which I wasn't going to buy anyway, not my cup of tea. My familiarity of the game has often been questioned, but anyone can find my builds on the gallery (under Cinebar) and my game videos (stories not Let's Play) on Youtube under wndy10010TS2.

I've pulled several older ones over the years as I had to make room for more with a newer games etc. Don't get a lot of traffic, don't care, but it's just something that says, yes Cinebar is an avid Simmer and knows all the games in detail.

Not proud of it, (channel etc.) since that means I've had to stay inside or wasn't well enough to go out anywhere and spent what days I do feel like learning something in The Sims. But it's been thearpy.

So, if anyone wonders, yes, I have created machinma and many others things like custom content for all these games, not saying I was ever any good, but fun to learn or experiment. I think TS4 is my least interested in making any cc for this game. I have to love a game to try that. Because sometimes, it's a big headache. :) Wonder if I have spent enough to know anything about TS4? :D

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Stormsview wrote: »
    EA/Maxis already said we are allowed 80 sims for optimal gameplay, and truly it's just 79, they will not allow 80.

The games says recommended number of sims is 200. where are you getting the number 80 from?

Our households in Sims 4, the ones with the hearts, you can go to unlimited if you like but not recommended. Recommended is 80, really 79

Actually that recommendation depends on your specs. My recommended on one computer says 200 and on a lower end computer is says 80.
  • Options
    StormsviewStormsview Posts: 2,603 Member
    edited November 2018

I do hope we are not forced to have less in our households.
    The households are still in the game if you want to use them you can just exchange them for a different Sim or family. The good thing is you can see them in the world, I do a lot, also I think they can be not inworld and have their home but will be grayed out. They are not deleted unless you delete them.
    just In years to come, I hope we are allowed more in our household.
    Post edited by Stormsview on
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
    Who said EA doesn't have a sense of humor
  • Options
    Should We Be Worried about the next 3 years?
    Kate 🔜 TwitchCon
    @SimGuruKate
    I've seen a good number of folks asking/commenting about the smaller size of Del Sol Valley. The simple answer to this is that as we create more and more packs we have to be very thoughtful about game performance and this includes the number of lots/Sims.

2:45 PM - Oct 22, 2018
    173 people are talking about this
    Twitter Ads info and privacy

Simmer Jes
    @ManSimmer
    · 17h
    Replying to @SimGuruKate
    So we will be getting smaller and smaller worlds from now on?

Kate 🔜 TwitchCon
    @SimGuruKate
    Not necessarily. But it definitely becomes a balancing act. And our amazing engineers are constantly at work on optimizing and improving performance.

2:47 PM - Oct 22, 2018
    See Kate 🔜 TwitchCon's other Tweets

Zii-Ghoul 🧟‍♀️
    @ziistel
    · 16h
    This is a bit of a bummer. Will we expect smaller worlds from now on?
    I’m assuming less is going to be in an EP because of gameplay performance?
    Or they chose to make smaller worlds, so that gameplay and items wouldn’t have to be cut out.

Kate 🔜 TwitchCon
    @SimGuruKate
    It doesn't mean all new worlds will be smaller. But it does mean not every new world will be "large". Some will be on the smaller side, while others will be on the larger side.

2:57 PM - Oct 22, 2018

PhDSimmer
    @PhDSimmer
    · 16h
    Replying to @SimGuruKate
    But the pack price remains the same? I'm confused...

Kate 🔜 TwitchCon
    @SimGuruKate
    Worlds aren’t the only part of a pack. There’s gameplay and items that contribute to the overall size of a pack.

3:02 PM - Oct 22, 2018

PhDSimmer
    @PhDSimmer
    · 16h
    Replying to @SimGuruKate
    But all other expansions have new careers, gameplay etc? I have been avoiding spoilers but I hope the rest of the pack makes up for the smaller world.

Kate 🔜 TwitchCon
    @SimGuruKate
    I’d say check out our upcoming streams if you want to know more and help you decide if it’s worth it for you. I can tell you that new fame system is extremely detailed and so customizable. And the active Acting Career is something incredibly unique and well done.

3:05 PM - Oct 22, 2018

aidanstein 🧟‍♂️
    @aiidaannn
    · 16h
    Replying to @SimGuruKate
    I personally don’t think you guys need to worry about game preformance. You guys made a good base for The Sims 4 to work on preformance wise and almost every other pack hasn’t really affected the game’s preformance for TS4 from what I’ve seen.

Kate 🔜 TwitchCon
    @SimGuruKate
    The reason it hasn't impacted the game's performance is because of the care and attention that is paid to ensuring optimization with each new pack that is released.

3:43 PM - Oct 22, 2018

These comments are hard to swallow, knowing players were told this game would be 'better' than open world, since so many blamed open world for performance issues, and here we are in closed world, again, and there has to be extra care and smaller worlds (and closed) for performance sake. That hype about how much better it would be hasn't panned out if players have to sacrifice real estate for lack luster EPs and smaller worlds (closed) and still can't have more than three lots in a district.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    Kate 🔜 TwitchCon
    @SimGuruKate
    I've seen a good number of folks asking/commenting about the smaller size of Del Sol Valley. The simple answer to this is that as we create more and more packs we have to be very thoughtful about game performance and this includes the number of lots/Sims.

Simmer Jes
    @ManSimmer
    · 17h
    Replying to @SimGuruKate

Kate 🔜 TwitchCon
    @SimGuruKate
    Not necessarily. But it definitely becomes a balancing act. And our amazing engineers are constantly at work on optimizing and improving performance.

Zii-Ghoul 🧟‍♀️
    @ziistel
    · 16h
    Or they chose to make smaller worlds, so that gameplay and items wouldn’t have to be cut out.

Kate 🔜 TwitchCon
    @SimGuruKate
    It doesn't mean all new worlds will be smaller. But it does mean not every new world will be "large". Some will be on the smaller side, while others will be on the larger side.

PhDSimmer
    @PhDSimmer
    · 16h
    Replying to @SimGuruKate

Kate 🔜 TwitchCon
    @SimGuruKate
    Worlds aren’t the only part of a pack. There’s gameplay and items that contribute to the overall size of a pack.

PhDSimmer
    @PhDSimmer
    · 16h
    Replying to @SimGuruKate
    But all other expansions have new careers, gameplay etc? I have been avoiding spoilers but I hope the rest of the pack makes up for the smaller world.

Kate 🔜 TwitchCon
    @SimGuruKate
    I’d say check out our upcoming streams if you want to know more and help you decide if it’s worth it for you. I can tell you that new fame system is extremely detailed and so customizable. And the active Acting Career is something incredibly unique and well done.

aidanstein 🧟‍♂️
    @aiidaannn
    · 16h
    Replying to @SimGuruKate
    I personally don’t think you guys need to worry about game preformance. You guys made a good base for The Sims 4 to work on preformance wise and almost every other pack hasn’t really affected the game’s preformance for TS4 from what I’ve seen.

Kate 🔜 TwitchCon
    @SimGuruKate
    The reason it hasn't impacted the game's performance is because of the care and attention that is paid to ensuring optimization with each new pack that is released.

Considering this, my answer to the OP question is NO.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    EA/Maxis already said we are allowed 80 sims for optimal gameplay, and truly it's just 79, they will not allow 80.

The games says recommended number of sims is 200. where are you getting the number 80 from?

Our households in Sims 4, the ones with the hearts, you can go to unlimited if you like but not recommended. Recommended is 80, really 79

Actually that recommendation depends on your specs. My recommended on one computer says 200 and on a lower end computer is says 80.

My computer cost close to $2000, USA, not expensive but not low end. I would think 800, and less would be low end?
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
  • Options
    The Twitter answers don't make any sense since they said the new EP world is tiny because of game performance? But in the future they can build bigger worlds with more lots, sometimes, and perforamance will be o.k. Is anyone buying any of that? I mean does that sound logical to you? No, this new EP world had to be smaller, but hold on, we can add bigger ones maybe next time? How is that logical? Or how does it make any sense if the reason the newer EP is so small (world) is because of performance...down south, that dog doesn't hunt.
  • Options

We already do not have an open world. I do not want to be restrained further. They are telling us a little at a time, and the news is not getting better. And they want us to trust another 4 years of this. Why force us to watch them beat a dead horse.
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member

My computer cost close to $2000, USA this came with cats and dogs, if you do not have cats & dogs it would not show for you.

My high end self-built gaming rig shows recommended as 200. My daughter's laptop shows recommended as 80. I do own all the packs thus-far as I got a majority of them on sale for 50% off. I only purchase sims packs for 50% off or more btw, so we will see how long get famous takes to be put on sale.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    The Twitter answers don't make any sense since they said the new EP world is tiny because of game performance? But in the future they can build bigger worlds with more lots, sometimes, and perforamance will be o.k. Is anyone buying any of that? I mean does that sound logical to you? No, this new EP world had to be smaller, but hold on, we can add bigger ones maybe next time? How is that logical? Or how does it make any sense if the reason the newer EP is so small (world) is because of performance...down south, that dog doesn't hunt.

The logic makes no sense that’s for sure. If you are making sacrifices at this stage then the engine is not as good as they make it out to be. (A Guru said it was a better engine than 3)

It’s just such a confusing tweet. If right now they are making small worlds, why should we expect bigger worlds further down the line whe even more content is added? Doesn’t make sense.
  • Options
    luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,649 Member
    I totally agree. What they are saying is not making sense at all. Makes me think there is another reason that they don't want to tell us. Which further destroys my trust in them.

My experience with The Sims 4 has not been a very good one so far. Which really upsets me as i really do love the game and have played it for years. In the beginning the game was very buggy. Then I have had to deal with problems every time they patch or a new pack comes out. I waited on vampires (to give them time to work out all the bugs) and I have been really happy with it. One of the few things they have done really well in The Sims 4 in my opinion. That restored my confidence enough to get Cats and Dogs (again waited quite awhile before buying it). Biggest mistake I have made. Now my game is experiencing a lot of lag.

I still play, but not as much as I used to. Unless I see some major improvements (which I highly doubt is going to happen), I am probably done buying more packs for The Sims 4. My game is currently barely playable as it is.

I'm at the point right now where I'm not even sure if I want to get The Sims 5 when it eventually comes out. The devs have just totally lost my confidence in their ability to make a stable/reliable game. Which is a shame, because I've been a simmer since Sims 1 and have really loved the game. I really hate to say this, but it will take a lot of really good reviews from this forum for me to even consider investing further into this franchise.
  • Options

Truth mine can be at 200, but that was not the point, the point was when I was playing when Cats and Dogs came out it did do a drop of recommending to have no lag and I did want my game to play as smooth as possible so yes I did the recommended. but when I did I notice they did not allow 80 even when they said 80, that was the point I wanted to make. I only have 32 sims on this one so I can not even check properly. This was a big deal when we got Cats and Dogs, and even @Rosemow came and help everyone learn how to set it as unlimited. Because it was thought to make your game run best. Not that you could not. So it became a practice for me
    If you set yours at 80 they would do the same I am sure, but why I do not know. Someone may test it out.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    I did have plans to buy Get famous, but after reading all of this about smaller worlds, and less content, I am not sure.
  • Options
    GarethlexGarethlex Posts: 159 Member
    Kate 🔜 TwitchCon
    @SimGuruKate

Simmer Jes
    @ManSimmer
    · 17h
    Replying to @SimGuruKate

Kate 🔜 TwitchCon
    @SimGuruKate

Zii-Ghoul 🧟‍♀️
    @ziistel
    · 16h

Kate 🔜 TwitchCon
    @SimGuruKate

PhDSimmer
    @PhDSimmer
    · 16h
    Replying to @SimGuruKate

Kate 🔜 TwitchCon
    @SimGuruKate

PhDSimmer
    @PhDSimmer
    · 16h
    Replying to @SimGuruKate

Kate 🔜 TwitchCon
    @SimGuruKate

aidanstein 🧟‍♂️
    @aiidaannn
    · 16h
    Replying to @SimGuruKate

Kate 🔜 TwitchCon
    @SimGuruKate

These comments are hard to swallow, knowing players were told this game would be 'better' than open world, since so many blamed open world for performance issues, and here we are in closed world, again, and there has to be extra care and smaller worlds (and closed) for performance sake. That hype about how much better it would be hasn't panned out if players have to sacrifice real estate for lack luster EPs and smaller worlds (closed) and still can't have more than three lots in a district.

Sorry but they need to dismount from twitter because these responses are ridiculous!!!!! They have the nerve to sit there confidently justifying why the new world is so compact and... 6 residential Lots !!!!!!! Nah man EA/MAXIS end production of any further games your taking the mick! And to think she goes on to say check out the new streams and see if it’s right for you so basically if you don’t like it lump it ! Sorry but your catering to a very small audience if you have that attitude ! A majority of the Stan sims followers do not want a bare minimum game we want depth and quality this game lacks in all 4 corners of the game box it comes in...

As stated above you scrapped the idea of and open world ! You went back to the old sims 2 method of playing you havnt thought carefully about how the sims 4 would show correction for all past mistakes and lessons learnt in previous series .... we are in 2018 and games are playing in HD at maximum resolution and open world ! And we get this constrained junk that still has limitations and boundaries like are you for real !!!??? When you create a platform !!! You make enough space and durability for what goes on top! I don’t think this method of thinking has been implemented !

Seriously this game does not need another 4 years ! What a waste of money that would be...
  • Options

@SimGuruKate tells the truth, maybe we can take it as a warning. No one else told us the truth, I do think others want to warn us as well, Are we like cattle being led to the slaughterhouse. We want to trust them the next 3 years on out, but is it reasonable?
  • Options
    @SimGuruKate tells the truth, maybe we can take it as a warning. No one else told us the truth, I do think others want to warn us as well, Are we like cattle being led to the slaughterhouse. We want to trust them the next 3 years on out, but is it reasonable?

No...
  • Options
    @Stormsview maybe it is a warning of more junk to come in the next few years and we will just have to watch streams and gamer reviews to decide if “it’s for us” I quote ... no longer can we put our trust in Maxis to deliver something new immersive and next Gen ! As EA have now taken over and completely diluted the concept of a broader game with new possibilities!
  • Options
    RnM92RnM92 Posts: 222 Member
    edited October 2018

The logic makes no sense that’s for sure. If you are making sacrifices at this stage then the engine is not as good as they make it out to be. (A Guru said it was a better engine than 3)

It’s just such a confusing tweet. If right now they are making small worlds, why should we expect bigger worlds further down the line whe even more content is added? Doesn’t make sense.

Of course it doesn't make sense, it's a convoluted lie to cover up the real reason that they're not allowed to admit to. Obviously we don't know exactly what that is, but it'll probably be either a design choice, lack of money or time to finish the pack to how they wanted it, or done deliberately so they could make as much money as possible with minimum effort (and expenditure). It seems highly likely to be one of the above, considering how EA treats all their other games (I follow gaming news quite closely). EA do seem to be the masters of coming out with pathetically bad excuses for limitations or downgrades in their games, which they often get caught out for. An example is when they didn't give players the option to customise characters in Star Wars BF2, saying they chose not to as they didn't think pink Darth Vaders looked right, only for people to do some digging and find out that this function had been coded in and removed before release, so that was clearly a lie. They do like to dress up failures and refusals to add features as "design choices", the same way they claim lootboxes are "player choice". It's so blatant to see. I'm honestly nauseated by the excuses that sims devs come up with, I'm sick of hearing how they couldn't do x or decided not to let the player do y. Some of these people worked on the Sims 2, so there really is no excuse for it. I don't think it is all just EA executives behind this though, some of the devs seem to have terrible attitudes and some pretty crazy ideas about this game.

And tbh, I don't even hold out much hope for the Sims 5. Afterall even if it's not exactly the same devs working on it, it'll still be the same EA and EA's company culture dictating how the game is made as the Sims 4. And looking at how other EA franchises have panned out recently (each subsequent game being worse than the last and more cash grabby), I think it's safe to say it'll be even worse. That's if we even get a Sims 5 and EA doesn't just decide to shut down Maxis after they're done with the Sims 4. I personally think they'll carry on with 4 for as long as possible and milk it for as long as it's worth. It seems to have become another one of EA's beloved "live services".

Also another thing I just remembered, a while back we found out they laid off several people from the EP team, so this could be why this EP is lacking, if they've had less people working on it. So it's likely it is that they didn't have enough resources to create a big enough pack.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    RnM92 wrote: »

Of course it doesn't make sense, it's a convoluted lie to cover up the real reason that they're not allowed to admit to. Obviously we don't know exactly what that is, but it'll probably be either a design choice, lack of money or time to finish the pack to how they wanted it, or done deliberately so they could make as much money as possible with minimum effort (and expenditure). It seems highly likely to be one of the above, considering how EA treats all their other games (I follow gaming news quite closely). EA do seem to be the masters of coming out with pathetically bad excuses for limitations or downgrades in their games, which they often get caught out for. An example is when they didn't give players the option to customise characters in Star Wars BF2, saying they chose not to as they didn't think pink Darth Vaders looked right, only for people to do some digging and find out that this function had been coded in and removed before release, so that was clearly a lie. They do like to dress up failures and refusals to add features as "design choices", the same way they claim lootboxes are "player choice". It's so blatant to see. I'm honestly nauseated by the excuses that sims devs come up with, I'm sick of hearing how they couldn't do x or decided not to let the player do y. Some of these people worked on the Sims 2, so there really is no excuse for it. I don't think it is all just EA executives behind this though, some of the devs seem to have terrible attitudes and some pretty crazy ideas about this game.

And tbh, I don't even hold out much hope for the Sims 5. Afterall even if it's not exactly the same devs working on it, it'll still be the same EA and EA's company culture dictating how the game is made as the Sims 4. And looking at how other EA franchises have panned out recently (each subsequent game being worse than the last and more cash grabby), I think it's safe to say it'll be even worse. That's if we even get a Sims 5 and EA doesn't just decide to shut down Maxis after they're done with the Sims 4. I personally think they'll carry on with 4 for as long as possible and milk it for as long as it's worth. It seems to have become another one of EA's beloved "live services".

I agree , I am fairly confident there is more to this than meets the eye. But here isn’t the place to have that discussion.
    I don’t think the sims 4 needs 3 years, but in all honesty I have no hope for the sims 5.
  • Options
    RnM92RnM92 Posts: 222 Member

I agree , I am fairly confident there is more to this than meets the eye. But here isn’t the place to have that discussion.
    I don’t think the sims 4 needs 3 years, but in all honesty I have no hope for the sims 5.

Same here.
  • Options

Also another thing I just remembered, a while back we found out they laid off several people from the EP team, so this could be why this EP is lacking, if they've had less people working on it. So it's likely it is that they didn't have enough resources to create a big enough pack.

Lol I think it’s safe to say wouldn’t you have major attitude if you was restricted to what you could implement in such a huge project or the fact that a large majority of the sims community is throwing negative feedback from day one ! ... oh I’d be miffed too... or I would just leave like all the other producers and creators ....
  • Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member

Great points...

I think regardless of whether we want it to continue or not EAxis will keep making packs for TS4 until this game is even more unplayable as they claim TS3 is. Which is sad... Because people spent their hard earned money on this game and deserve better. Will they even make a sims 5? Who knows. Maybe this is finally the end of the road or they will keep milking this franchise because if they messed this iteration up I don't know how people can trust they won't mess the next up. I know for sure if 5 is announced in the near future, as I said before, this is the end of the road for me. There have been too many downs to ups in this iteration for me to count and I've grown tired. I will have to put my focus on another game and just come back to the sims on occasion. It's been a nice run though. I have had the fondest memories with this franchise.
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Garethlex wrote: »

Lol I think it’s safe to say wouldn’t you have major attitude if you was restricted to what you could implement in such a huge project or the fact that a large majority of the sims community is throwing negative feedback from day one ! ... oh I’d be miffed too... or I would just leave like all the other producers and creators ....

They don't leave a good job because of feedback, they either get offered something else or laid off, or decide to work somewhere else where they have more leadership or more money. It has absolutley nothing to do with fans. They go to school to do this stuff (some of them) so of course they want to go where it's better for themselves and their families, and where they may be able to shine more so than at Maxis. Like on other games, where their talent is needed more than what is used for TS4 or Maxis. It has nothing to do with fans. But the companies and their own policies and HR. ETA: How Maxis spends their budget has very little to do with EA, once the contract is set, Maxis decides how things go, not EA.
  • Options
    luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,649 Member

Great points...

I think regardless of whether we want it to continue or not EAxis will keep making packs for TS4 until this game is even more unplayable as they claim TS3 is. Which is sad... Because people spent their hard earned money on this game and deserve better. Will they even make a sims 5? Who knows. Maybe this is finally the end of the road or they will keep milking this franchise because if they messed this iteration up I don't know how people can trust they won't mess the next up. I know for sure if 5 is announced in the near future, as I said before, this is the end of the road for me. There have been too many downs to ups in this iteration for me to count and I've grown tired. I will have to put my focus on another game and just come back to the sims on occasion. It's been a nice run though. I have had the fondest memories with this franchise.

It saddens me as well and i regrettably agree completely with what you are saying.
  • Options
    Garethlex wrote: »

They don't leave a good job because of feedback, they either get offered something else or laid off, or decide to work somewhere else where they have more leadership or more money. It has absolutley nothing to do with fans. They go to school to do this stuff (some of them) so of course they want to go where it's better for themselves and their families, and where they may be able to shine more so than at Maxis. Like on other games, where their talent is needed more than what is used for TS4 or Maxis. It has nothing to do with fans. But the companies and their own policies and HR. ETA: How Maxis spends their budget has very little to do with EA, once the contract is set, Maxis decides how things go, not EA.

@Cinebar I think your misunderstanding.... when I mentioned negative feedback from simmers I meant this would have a major negative impact on the culture of the workplace ! These things have a knock on effect just my assumption as to why they have such a foul attitude .... You nor I work there so we are non the wiser but this is what I meant..
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top