Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Del Sol Valley was small on purpose

Comments

• Options
    slydog857slydog857 Posts: 68 Member
    Amiutza wrote: »
    slydog857 wrote: »
    There's a lot of people here making the assumptions that 'Smaller Worlds to reduce FPS drops, and improve performance is an invalid excuse' and I agree, but not entirely. Yes, it would help performance, we all have to admit it would improve performance, however, the fact that this game had performance issues IN THE FIRST PLACE is the problem, the fact stated above is true but what's also true is that this game performances well under average, and the people who said they are catering for lower-end hardware are 100% on the ball. A lower-end machine will statically preform better in this game to a certain degree. I have an i7-7700K, GTX 1080, 16GB and I still get performance issues in some worlds. There is one big problem and one simple answer/explanation to this:

It's 2014, and the sims team thought the best idea moving forward for CPU optimisation in this brand new game is to LIMIT the game to 2 CPU Cores, which was absurd for any game after 2011, to be honest. This was the worst development choice the company could have made, and for people who think the game has multi-core support, yes it does, but it still only uses 2 physical cores. Name 10 people who still use Dual-Core processors.

This then creates my problem, only 50% of my CPU is being utilised, I get performance issues, because the game doesn't use the entirety of a system! Too late to fix this now as it was part of the base code.

So, I appreciate smaller worlds to combat this, but they created the problem in the first place is what I'm saying.
    Add to this that the game runs on DirectX 9 as well. I’m no pc expert, but I don’t think your 1080 or my 1070 are necessarily getting much use either. As far as I understand, if they’d at least give an option to run it on 11/12 (i think they’re up to 12) we should get an overall increase in fps which might help with the random drops? Limiting people with good pcs really makes me sad. Also what is up with the sad excuse of antialiasing they have?

Off topic aside, still ok with the world size because im more of aesthetics >space in this particular case. And i plan to make a couple celebrities only neighborhoods in the fancy area of oasis springs, maybe the WB island too.

Yes. Updating to a more current DirectX would help preformance, the cpu issue would still be a problem though and DirectX is more to do with the graphics card which isn’t a huge problem, but DirectX 9... I mean Sims 4 has a worse DirectX preformance than world of Warcraft.

Specs:
    i7-7700K @ 4.2GHz
    Gigabyte G1 Gaming Edition: GTX 1080 8GB
    16GB RAM
    2 x 1TB HDD - Toshiba @ 7200 Rpm

maxresdefault.jpg
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    The world is so small it's sad. Like those homes on the beach, should have been actual homes. I am so sick of paying 40.00 for games that are worth 20.00!

Yeah but you could argue, and there will be some people who will argue this, you don't HAVE to buy them. If you don't feel they are worth $40, wait for a sale. Seasons came down in the Halloween sale (which has already ended... despite Halloween not even having been yet) for $30 approx. and that's 3 months. So if you are prepared to wait, do that. If not and you get it day one, then you can't say you are sick of spending $40, because YOU did.

So we should just wait to buy a subpar quality product? That is exactly what you insinuate. So far from everything I have seen this expansion is maybe worth only $5 to $10 dollars at maximum.
  • Options
    soko37soko37 Posts: 593 Member
    ChelleJo wrote: »
    Felicity wrote: »
    You know, Sims 3's worlds generally had 60 - 120 lots. I get the feeling that the entirety of Sims 4 will have fewer lots than just one store world of Sims 3. Why is this an issue with a closed world? Or is it a size thing? I know console users are limited in size, and it's really difficult to delete/disable a pack once you buy it.

Whatever -- this is kind of ridiculous that the game can't even handle a ton of lots with a closed system.

I suppose that kills the last hope of CAW.

The question is how will they continue to develop the game for 3 years if they can't even handle world with more than 11 lots. lol it's so ridiculous. ^^

This is exactly my thoughts. If they have 3 years planned out already, I am worried to see what those 3 years will be, if they are already limiting the crud out of our worlds. 11 lots is pretty pathetic.

There are so many valid points here, that I pray a Guru reads this thread and realizes their excuse it not okay.

Why not just say what you want to a sim guru on Twitter instead of praying?
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,579 Member
    You know, I just can't worry about it.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    TiarellaTiarella Posts: 661 Member
    Folks, let's watch the tone, please? I'm seeing some insulting comments; mods will shut the thread down if we don't clean up our act. Thanks. :)
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    They just keep coming up with excuses for ripping off fans... when Sims 4 was announced, didn't they specifically say the game's engine was designed to work better on older computers? lol Now suddenly performance is becoming an issue? When will the lies stop!?

Honestly, I wish they would just admit that 'Get Famous' was originally created to be a game pack, but EA decided to make it an expansion pack because it would be more profitable. That honestly sounds A LOT more believable than the excuses they're telling us.

Sadly some things never change :(
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Sanriel85 wrote: »
    Size doesn't matter ;)

In The Sims it does
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    I know my upcoming question may not received well by others, but I'll ask it anyway, because I'm actually curious - how are those of you who are tight on space running out of room? Do you play mega-legacies and keep all your generations plus spares going? Do you try to keep all your sims in one world (e.g. all sims in Oasis Springs, or all sims in Brindleton Bay)? Do you play with aging off, have kids but nobody dies?

The reason why I'm asking is I have never come even close to running out of room. Yes it might be tight in a specific world, or I might be tired of a world, or I might have to kick out some townies, but there's always been a number of lots available even with my biggest save (my largest save right now is something like 7 generations spread across a handful of worlds.) I do have all game/EPs, and I will let sims age and die, however, so maybe there's that?
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited October 2018
    Pegasys wrote: »
    I know my upcoming question may not received well by others, but I'll ask it anyway, because I'm actually curious - how are those of you who are tight on space running out of room? Do you play mega-legacies and keep all your generations plus spares going? Do you try to keep all your sims in one world (e.g. all sims in Oasis Springs, or all sims in Brindleton Bay)? Do you play with aging off, have kids but nobody dies?

The reason why I'm asking is I have never come even close to running out of room. Yes it might be tight in a specific world, or I might be tired of a world, or I might have to kick out some townies, but there's always been a number of lots available even with my biggest save (my largest save right now is something like 7 generations spread across a handful of worlds.) I do have all game/EPs, and I will let sims age and die, however, so maybe there's that?

I run out of room in Forgotten Hollow all of the time. Five lots is not a lot when you're trying to have vampires in the world. Here's the thing -- there is space for three mansions in the game. I know that I will have at least one megastar, but probably several, and I won't be able to have them all live in DSV (awkward, I will keep calling it VDS by mistake I know it).

I still have free lots in Oasis Spring and Willow Creek. That's really not the point. Newport really doesn't have a neighborhood that looks super exclusive or else I'd move there. I've started moving my vampires to Windenberg since it has the second most amount of night time.

Really, though, I don't like traveling between worlds because they are all so different. It doesn't make sense to me that you can teleport halfway around the world and have your neighbors join you in the blink of an eye. Especially with Seasons now that there are worlds with different climates.

I really wish they had done something like Sims 2 with sub neighborhoods, added downtown area, etc. But the highly specialized neighborhoods really do hurt from lack of lots. My celebrity couple gets divorced so one has to move to an apartment in SM? Okay, but that's a heck of a commute to work.
    Post edited by Felicity on
  • Options
    TiarellaTiarella Posts: 661 Member
    @Pegasys: can't speak for anyone else, but I play a large rotational game, aging off (I age everyone up manually when it's time). The teens I started out with in 2014 are elderly now (or ghosts), but they're mostly still around; their grandkids are toddlers.

I do have empty lots and houses, but I'm particular about who goes where, and those lots and houses are empty because they're not right for the story. The sims need to live in the right town for them, and then in the right lot and house. All too frequently, the lots available aren't right for my newly aged-up sims. (We don't have that many small lots, so mine are already occupied.)

I make do, but I really miss the ability to place additional lots in the gameworld.
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member

I assume its people that play rotational for many legacies.

I have SP so I only play with one family. So I have no room issues, although I don't know what will do when the kids age up since I've never played a save that long. I don't want to abandon them but I don't want to play rotationally.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Many more years of content to come guys, the game can only handle 11 lots because of performance now guess we should not expect any better in the years to come because its only going to get worse.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member

To answer for myself, I'm a population player, which means I kick out premades and fill the worlds with my own Sims. I have a lot of eccentric, fantasy, special era and occult Sims throughout my towns. I do play with aging off and I rebuild all of the lots using awesome builds from the gallery to customize my neighborhoods. I also have a variety of commercial lots, like thematic nightclubs, pubs and parks, to mix up a change of scenery instead of having one or two of the same places to hang out. I create clubs so I can have specific Sims hang out in certain places thematically.

I love my world and it's always growing as I get new ideas for Sims to create. So for me, that's how I run out of space. :)
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    soko37soko37 Posts: 593 Member
    I have problems with the 200 sims max. I can't even allow my sims to have anymore kids. If it stays 200 how will more lots and worlds even get filled after awhile? Am I missing something? Does nobody else have this problem?
  • Options
    pixiejuicepixiejuice Posts: 711 Member
    It's going to bother me forever that they only gave us half the street in that lower-priced neighborhood. How would it really kill performance to open up that whole street instead of half? To knock down the three or four deco houses and give us three or four more generic 20x20 starter lots instead?

In these recent worlds, they just keep putting fake deco houses in spots where it would be super easy to give us another basic lot to use.

I wish they would give us world editing tools like we had in TS2 and TS3. Maybe then we could decide for ourselves how many lots our games and computers can handle. We could knock down the deco houses ourselves and put down lots wherever we need them, in whatever size and placement we need them. Instead we're all stuck with the same thing, no matter what our computer specs. I would like to hope that our new terrain tools are a step towards eventual world editing, but I won't hold my breath.
  • Options
    KiaraSims4ModsKiaraSims4Mods Posts: 2,782 Member
    I don't have to buy of course, but I am a fan and I want to buy. The world should be bigger and have more lots.
  • Options
    citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    Tiarella wrote: »
    Folks, let's watch the tone, please? I'm seeing some insulting comments; mods will shut the thread down if we don't clean up our act. Thanks. :)

Just gonna quote this.
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• Options
    edited October 2018
    The world is so small it's sad. Like those homes on the beach, should have been actual homes. I am so sick of paying 40.00 for games that are worth 20.00!

Yeah but you could argue, and there will be some people who will argue this, you don't HAVE to buy them. If you don't feel they are worth $40, wait for a sale. Seasons came down in the Halloween sale (which has already ended... despite Halloween not even having been yet) for $30 approx. and that's 3 months. So if you are prepared to wait, do that. If not and you get it day one, then you can't say you are sick of spending $40, because YOU did.

So we should just wait to buy a subpar quality product? That is exactly what you insinuate. So far from everything I have seen this expansion is maybe worth only $5 to $10 dollars at maximum.

Then don’t buy it. Stop complaining about it. No one is forcing you to spend $40 on it. And I think as low as $5 is a bit naive of you, and makes you look a bit of a cheapskate.

Not naive, just a very smart consumer. I researched between Sims 3 and Sims 4 in 2015, learning which one might fit my gameplay style better. I know what I am willing to pay for any products since I never get them on impulse. So, I have never purchase any Sims content for full price. Got the base game for $35, expansions for around $25 or less, game packs for around $15 or less, and even I got a majority of stuff packs on sale for about $2.50 (that was about 2016). What I have learned is to wait and only purchase packs on sale, because they are not worth full price. Now many of the game as a service updates have made the game worse in my opinion as well. This is why I said that from all the content I have seen thus far, this pack is maybe worth $5 to $10.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    As for my worlds being full, personally I play one legacy household per save. I fill all the lots in that one world I decide they will live. The rest of the worlds are only visited IF I need a change of scenery. I do build restaurants, pools, a wedding venues, spas, etc to fill the open lots in the other worlds but never have my heir live in the other worlds for any reason. The spares might be dropped into the other worlds, but I allow MCCC to handle them.
    Post edited by NorthDakotaGamer on
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    It's a lame excuse for sure.

Like I get making a detailed backdrop of a world can give performance issues. Some worlds are a bit laggy due to movements like water waves and trees swaying. But I don't see how the number of lots tie into this. The world loads a neighborhood/district one at a time when you're active on it. I get that it might affect the performance a bit if they had like 5 lots cramped into one district but that doesn't mean they can't split the 5 lots into 2 districts.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited October 2018

Give it a year or so, and you'll likely find the expansion at that price.
  • Options
    HimRumiHimRumi Posts: 1,444 Member
    edited October 2018
    It would be cool if high performance computers had sort of a privilege. The team could consider creating a sims 4 store for worlds that are more larger. This way people who have high end laptops/desktops can enjoy larger worlds without consequences resulting in smaller worlds. I purchased a laptop specifically for gaming to enhance gameplay performance and download content capacity. I only feel that it is fair for those who invested in high quality and high performance computers.

I love open world, create a world tool and larger worlds. Although I do not despise the team for creating smaller worlds due to performance issues, I hope they consider for simmers who invested a lot of money in their computers as well.
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    In view of the input from the folks who know computers and 64 bit, which strongly points to there should be no performance issues, am wondering what the 'low end' EA is reportedly targeting is? 486-66? Maybe a P-3? The by now old TS2 could handle a heavier load. What gives with this version?