Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 3 is awesome!

Comments

• Options
    shaebee10shaebee10 Posts: 22 Member
    Pary wrote: »
    shaebee10 wrote: »
    Are you guys able to like sims 3 without hating on four or do you have to bash one to feel good about your choices 🤔 anyways I like sims 3 for the mods. I like the story progression.

Oh please. There are a multitude of TS4 players INCLUDING a developer who do this, so don't spout such nonsense.

I don’t remember saying they didn’t 🤔 and just cause they do means y’all can ?
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    /facepalm

Oh good grief.
    There's just no hope for some people.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    shaebee10shaebee10 Posts: 22 Member
    /facepalm

Oh good grief.
    There's just no hope for some people.
    :( yeah I guess so. We can only hope though for the best. :(
  • Options
    Teslachick2Teslachick2 Posts: 442 Member
    edited October 2018
    Look, this senseless comparison has got to end. Just because others are doing it doesn't mean one must jump on the bandwagon, that's just wrong. Yes, the sims 3 is awesome, I agree, but I don't need to list TS4 faults or tell simmers who like the game that 'we're trying to make things better for you.' Same goes for TS4 fans. I have a brain, and I know how to use it, thank you very much.

I play sims 3 and 4, enjoy both equally and for different reasons, am definitely not a 'youngster' just a 34 year old who happens to like the sims 4. Frankly, I feel it's patronising when people try to force me into a niche just because of my preferences. 'Oh you write romance novels? Then you're not a 'true' writer. You play the sims? Not a true gamer. You like the sims 4? Not a true simmer, or you're too 'young' to know better or 'I feel sorry that you have been brainwashed by EA into liking a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 game, here's a gift card to a reeducation camp to cleanse your mind from the evil propaganda.'

Bah! A pox on you and your assumptions!

But I digress. If a person feels the need to put something/someone down just to make something else look better, then it kind of makes the product you're defending look...weak. TS3 doesn't need to be compared to any other iteration because it is an awesome game all by itself. This nonsense of 'my game is better than yours because reasons,' needs to stop! We're not preschoolers here...at least I don't think so.

Forgive my grumpiness, just haven't had my coffee yet and will probably regret writing this once my brain kick starts into sanity.
    I regret some of my life choices.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited October 2018
    Back to topic please because I think I’ll speak for anyone here when I say I can list a whole bunch of qualifications that sum up why this game has always been awesome for me, without needing to compare. Like I said before, the terrain tool feature worked as a trigger perhaps but fact remains that tool has provided me many awesome moments while building. I live in a totally flat country so I love that I can create gardens in the game that ressemble the beautiful terraced gardens I see when on holiday. Sometimes I even take pictures, planning to rebuild some ideas in my game.

Another awesome feature for me is CASt. I never really realized how special that feature is (since Sims 3 was the first game - in general - I played so intensely, which means you just accept everything the way it is handed to you). I always end up in some kind of trance while recolouring every single surface there is (and not just recolouring it, I love to play around with not obvious patterns and materials too). It’s awesome while building but it also contributes to a unique experience while playing. It enables me to really personalise my sim’s interior.

Open world turned out to be another very important feature. I remember when my daughter persuaded me to try out the game when she got it in 2009, she beamed (after I had created my sim and moved her into a house): “And now you can take her to town, she can really travel there!” I never realised how special that was, nor did I realise how essential it is to me. Turns out I’m a map addict, I need the cohesion of a world, the ability to know exactly where the shops are and where different sims live and where I can take my sim when he/she needs some fresh air and self time. Double clicking on my sim and driving along with them when going somewhere is a very important aspect for me. I never fail to do that when I send them somewhere.

And last but not least and this awesomeness was something that took the game a couple of years: all those different things you can do when you own all the packs. And the freedom to make things work that weren’t handed to you ready-to-go, like the apartment I built using the University roommate system. It works! And it’s fun! And I made it happen all by myself, which in a strange way makes the experience even better.

I love this game. I love it so much, that I’ve played it for years on medium settings without even realising or caring it didn’t look too good. Now that I installed a lighting mod, a custom skin to my sims and play on highest settins, even that aspect has become awesome.

This doesn’t mean I find everything in the game awesome, there are flaws too, and things I regret. But the fact even bugs never ever made me even consider to quit (and I had some awful ones...) speaks volumes.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    I used to play on medium settings too with my old Pc, and the game still looked really lovely. I love the fact that even after playing nearly every day since 2009 that I still haven't done everything that the game has to offer.

I'll never forget how I felt the day I got my game ( my sis preordered for us both ) and my sim could jog around the entire neighbourhood, and go in and out of people's yards, and visit her next door neighbours, without having to load anything. I was entranced by the whole world, it just felt so... revolutionary.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Thanks for the comments in this thread :smile: I have been busy over the weekend so not keeping up to date with things!

@Nikkei_Simmer No cars yet in TS4 either. Maybe in two years time? Or five years? Ten years? :no_mouth:

@CK213 I doubt that any University EP in TS4 would be as good as it is in TS3!

@JoAnne65 Thanks for trying to keep things on topic :smile: I hadn't realised that there was a debate going :(
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    Anyway a recent update from me: :smile:

Some familiar faces have moved into Bridgeport!

43288223_10155863137711497_415627653135990784_o.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_eui2=AeEI3HBNfpE9RK4V4WsnlcXwKdpNEGvFEg6Xu-NvFfHcB4aZdfHc6_6d-makhJsDvkymHhkg0bYGpgjfJUKcrp7MQcRDqZfsdnKwTKnVe7KctA&oh=bdea9160ed018c26f62f6863342685df&oe=5C5EB102

I even brought their house from Roaring Heights. (Note the pare bed in the upstairs hallway)

43408517_10155863137761497_3943326074229751808_o.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_eui2=AeEvW2vyWUaPuUTLKEzf0IqnRHPkN4fqWi8yhRYK1skpxxLUFltVKQs6Fo4Vh1YdenHyiYLXFX3KLaqGKIxkFAjON232jQ8agBDO7S8zazeUXQ&oh=fcb3e49b8e03a1b8985ec281db8428b1&oe=5C54C61C

No idea how they are meant to get the car in tough but as this is The Sims I am sure that the game can work that part out for itself

43573251_10155863138011497_3380903624396767232_o.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_eui2=AeFSKwlQMJxJXKiLtqOw__0IcLieYFY8ToNY9cAOFfftvAjOkzzwSEiYcgVf2QTFWFluodMPxGEdJG7znjAB-q9UkphFuksdZehmP78GUJJ58Q&oh=c2c2799a212048e4a0ad8d8b2a429029&oe=5C4CF419

View of Bridgeport from the garden

43244072_10155863138056497_3267532387751297024_o.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_eui2=AeGXnjymR258H202aI_NfLygYefblmVd_Vqbm_L9gFpkW5xhXl369CkBsLTqK8D1bYt9XbnzN8FesoHmzjTpF5P96s9E9_n_OeahaD0xgtIJ9w&oh=eded7b6dda9adbb7b9ed950fb347db5f&oe=5C4E9AE3

The sea

43408791_10155863138086497_2380701179626651648_o.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_eui2=AeFhJfoae5siHgxUREfTLfv_-SEvZMzWwQi64ivhteoPZAmekG2WkrWCScjmHeUNKqtubaTvN9nPBqQSc3JUQpVYqdv987mQwDdYLGNBeAA-4Q&oh=12a11907d98c5a9f1ba5910667247339&oe=5C48C5FA

From above!

43371524_10155863138316497_402795630885339136_o.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_eui2=AeEJEds5_7FZHWhvr-JlJvPo3XdAbyFd9Qw7r94mx_bfwq2N3L46CfohIU2Izck4vIQw9kNt2UyqRpY0cH1tMM2cZng2jrhpmXfjKWqKlf-MYQ&oh=91b5817ff3dd7936c847cc65e127fef8&oe=5C473AE4

The city

43350120_10155863138376497_133590516745895936_o.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_eui2=AeFon4KbOMZFXG7GOXcAT196lUbQtITys-1N0i6jK6ZTK8D_VP4CA4Mu4BI74T9lDDW1cQ_qZdsZzhZ-MfgTm0xqYNaBtlfdR5-DKgrEt5QEWw&oh=37a03a7439f10b9b84700db47999d376&oe=5C4FCF23

Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member

Comparisons are not a bad thing in themselves. I like apples, someone likes oranges. I think apples have a great crunch and burst of flavor, and oranges are too acidy. Someone else thinks apples are soft and mushy and thinks oranges are fresh and tangy. It is not the comparison that is the issue. It is the folks that get snarky about it that cause the problems just like we have seen here. It is okay to disagree and that is something that so many folks don't believe in anymore. :cry: Please mods, don't stop this thread because of someone not liking other folks comments. None of the comments were mean spirited, just comments and comparisons and that is not the bad thing. The bad thing is folks getting snarky and needing to call out others.

I can and will say I love the art style in Sims 3 and it is awesome in my eyes. I sure wish I had a better puter that took advantage of the style. I am not a fan of comic books anymore and don't like that particular art style as it is not pleasing to my eyes. One of my favorite things about sims 3 is seeing my sims in a world like in the picture below where she is painting a scene. The sphinx in the background is a part of the world and knowing that my sim can get on her scooter or teleport (she's a vamp) and visit it. No loading screens. It is not a backdrop. It is part of my game, my story. Sims 3 is not perfect, NO game will every be, but it is awesome and I'll take it warts and all.

30203493477_48bd9e9a5b_b.jpg
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited October 2018
    I used to play on medium settings too with my old Pc, and the game still looked really lovely. I love the fact that even after playing nearly every day since 2009 that I still haven't done everything that the game has to offer.

I'll never forget how I felt the day I got my game ( my sis preordered for us both ) and my sim could jog around the entire neighbourhood, and go in and out of people's yards, and visit her next door neighbours, without having to load anything. I was entranced by the whole world, it just felt so... revolutionary.
    To be honest I loved the way my game looked back then as well (I once proudly showed my Shang Simla pictures to my dad, who plays Tomb Raider, and he wasn’t impressed). I couldn’t go back to medium settings now though, I’m spoiled for good :p

@king_of_simcity7 Well, that’s quite easy in fact. You get out the car, stick it in your pocket, walk to the garage and take it out. Piece of cake B) Lovely pictures!
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member

I remember getting the game and the first thing I did was make a sim called Mary O'Brien. I discovered CASt by accidentally pressing the wrong button. I was that excited especially when I realised I could recolour firniture as well. Anyway I played around with CASt and Mary ended up with a black and white check dress. I was so pleased. The rest of the day was one wow after another. Not many games can enthrall player that quickly and keep them enthralled for nearly ten years. It is an awesome achievement and deserves to be celebrated..
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I agree, the sims 3 is awesome! It’s the only game I have a politician crazy with power live with a horse crazy spouse and in their spare time they can snorkelling and wind surfing.

I love the open world and CASt in particular. I love all the different activities our sims have with all the EPs and it’s a game where even though I have played it for years it still surprised me!
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,531 Member
    Thanks for the comments in this thread :smile: I have been busy over the weekend so not keeping up to date with things!

@CK213 I doubt that any University EP in TS4 would be as good as it is in TS3!

Maybe, maybe not.
    I still play TS4, but I can't go forward without University.
    I am hoping that they do more with Frats and Sororities and secret societies that TS3 University didn't have.
    They did at least mention them in their marketing survey.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    blazerntqblazerntq Posts: 2,409 Member
    @CK213 Having secret societies would be awesome. I like the one that you made up for your University story in the Sims 3.
  • Options
    cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member

But I digress. If a person feels the need to put something/someone down just to make something else look better, then it kind of makes the product you're defending look...weak. ...

I disagree. I think it makes the person look insecure in themselves and their opinions, not the product so much.

On the other hand this thread seems to be in response to the closing of another thread that linked to an article on another site criticising the graphics of Sims 3 in comparison to Sims 4. So it is only natural that some comparisons between the 2 games be made or between Sims 3 and other games. Sometimes we don't appreciate what we have until it is missing. In that way Sims 4 probably helped some to realize how awesome Sims 3 is. :)

• Options
    MemoriiValentineMemoriiValentine Posts: 1,911 Member
    I think i just heard sims 3 music in a 23 and me commercial. I think it might have been build music . Kinda creepy and kinda awesome at the same time lol
    Happy Simming!♥
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,531 Member
    No TS4 University this year. :p
    Looks like my intuition was correct and starting up TS3 now is perfect timing.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    @CK213 Nah just more 'celebrity stuff' and this time quite literally so I heard. Glitz and glamour but without cars unless I am mistake? :no_mouth:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    Anyway I have made a new Sim!

Gareth Owen

Traits:

Ambitions
    Artistic
    Eccentric
    Schmoozer
    Vegetarian

A different Sim to my usual

43879242_10155870830476497_1285472866900377600_o.jpg?_nc_cat=111&oh=b95f2fda30290cc696282862445645df&oe=5C17DE0A

Moving into the Warren house and he even has the same hair as Warren but he is nothing like Warren. He is smart, charming and forward thinking. Ready to take on the world into the world of journalism. Hoping for a better world for everyone lead by a new kinder type of politics.

43740013_10155870830706497_5584983933356867584_o.jpg?_nc_cat=100&oh=7d661d790ae41066ad98b6cd8b674af9&oe=5C1455DE

In this city and Sims world the injustices should be challenged. Why do Sims randomly get moved around different households against their own will. Why is their actually no welfare for Sims? If you cannot pay your bills everything gets taken away by cruel repo men? If you cannot afford a burglar alarm the police don't care and turn up to late? What about those who cannot afford a fire alarm?

43695505_10155870830691497_598686722728919040_o.jpg?_nc_cat=102&oh=59c59cad6f76d82e22d5f3a59cd93c0f&oe=5C4DC714
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    vikixcvikixc Posts: 330 Member
    I think i just heard sims 3 music in a 23 and me commercial. I think it might have been build music . Kinda creepy and kinda awesome at the same time lol

I hear it quite often now. It is strange :smiley:
    2UFyFUV.png

• Options
    Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    I have played The Sims since 2000 but the game I choose to play as my primary life simulator is TS3. It's always nice to go back and play TS and TS2 but it no longer has what it takes to keep me as invested how I am with TS3. When I think about it, I find improvements and advancements made is too great to give up and go back to all the limitations that I have become used to not having around anymore. So going backwards, though it is fun and amazing is not what I now value in what used to be an expanding, improving and advancing foundation.

So here are the reasons why I'll always choose The Sims 3 as my main game instead of any other Sims game.

The Open Seamless World
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6gXiw5URNM
    -Not only can other Sims still visit but now I can visit other Sims in the neighborhood
    -Vehicles in the base game further establishes the freedom and enforces the concept of the open world without loading screens
    -Switching between multiple Sims no matter where they are in the world flawlessly. This also helps with time management realistically
    -Watching Sims actually go to a work building than disappear off the screen
    -A more realistic and subtle simulation of the progression of time throughout the day
    -The fun and excitement of exploring the whole world without a 'Wait! Okay, now go'
    -The weather effects and seasons are stunning and impressive
    -The ease of editing existing lots and/or creating my own
    -Finding collectibles and pets is unique and enjoyable to discover
    -Etc

Create A Style
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8tHeWnl8X8
    -Why would I ever want to go back to only picking from presets with no freedom of my creativity to design however I want
    -The more creative options, the more time and effort I put into my gameplay which also affects the longevity of gameplay

The A.I.
    My main mode of playing is with high free-will on. There are all kinds of noticeable things I observe which imitates a lot of human behaviors and I love that because it makes the Sims feel alive in a virtual sense and makes perfect sense for the genre it represents. I'm sure all deep thinkers and those who are keen about things like that are aware of it when getting deep into gameplay and the psyche of their Sims AI. Which one would have to spend a good amount of time with each Sim in order to really get to know them. This goes beyond the traits given to Sims and there's something special about each and every Sim which is what truly makes them all completely different from each other. I wonder if there are any psychologists who play TS3 and can easily pinpoint a lot of their observations.

The A.I is something that drives the gameplay to be what it is. It's one of the major features that shoudn't be forgotten about and is a part of the core of The Sims. Because without a decent AI system in place, all the Sims would be boring, the same and I just wouldn't care about any of them.

Story Progression
    I don't usually play with SP on so I don't really have much experience with this feature. But I definitely feel they were heading in the right direction and again makes perfect sense for the genre it represents. The only thing I think that makes this feature not a favorite of mine is because they forgot that options, options and more options for the players are the best way to go. At least, they have an on/off button but it would have been so much more versatile if they gave players the opportunity to control every single aspect however they want. The more advanced the A.I. the more I can relate and get more attached to all my Sims. Not just the current active household and I don't want any of them moving out of the neighborhood and being lost forever, etc.

There's a lot of other features I like about TS3 and there's some I don't like and/or wish it were different. But overall, TS3 is the most realistic life simulator ever created and there's nothing else like it...unfortunately. However, TS3 does a great job of keeping me entertained for this long so it's all good. Here's to 9+ years of still playing. Longer than any other Sims game. <3
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    fxchrfxchrfxchrfxchr Posts: 329 Member
    Deshong04 wrote: »
    Story Progression
    I don't usually play with SP on so I don't really have much experience with this feature. But I definitely feel they were heading in the right direction and again makes perfect sense for the genre it represents. The only thing I think that makes this feature not a favorite of mine is because they forgot that options, options and more options for the players are the best way to go. At least, they have an on/off button but it would have been so much more versatile if they gave players the opportunity to control every single aspect however they want. The more advanced the A.I. the more I can relate and get more attached to all my Sims. Not just the current active household and I don't want any of them moving out of the neighborhood and being lost forever, etc.

Yes, I agree they should have given us more than an on/off button, so I had it turned off until I discovered the NRaas version of SP. Now I can control every aspect if I wish. No more Sims randomly moving out and there is much more progression than EA's. I must add that modders have helped make this game much more playable.
    Firby nurbs!
  • Options
    ameliaandcynthiaameliaandcynthia Posts: 42 Member
    edited October 2018
    I still love Sims 3. Sims 4 is not for me... one reason is because the Sims 4 sims all look like potatoes.
  • Options
    FrigidChickFrigidChick Posts: 59 Member
    I actually enjoyed playing Sims 4. I modded it, and on my old rig, it ran so much better. I just kept coming back to Sims 3. I can't explain it, but I just eventually stopped buying packs and expansions for 4 and stuck with 3 until my old rig died. I got a new rig now, and starting a new Sims 3 save. Back in the day, I knocked Sims 4 real hard, but not anymore-- I think it's pretty cool, I just like Sims 3 more.
  • Options
    Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    I love sims 4 for a lot of reasons and I find it did some things better than 3, but I also like sims 3. I’ve found myself being drawn back to it recently. I don’t know if it’s because I have a computer that can actually play it (still lags but alas what can you do?) or if I just miss it.

I played it a lot today and just a few things I enjoy in the game that aren’t in sims 4 (some yet) or things 3 did better.

-CASt (I do miss this, it’s really fun to play around with)
    -swimming in oceans
    -ponds
    -university (yeah I need this in sims 4 too, I’m sure it will come though)
    -scuba diving (it’s such a cool skill)
    -hilarious glitches (sims 3 wins here and it’s not a bad thing)
    -witches (only occult I like)

This is just from a day of playing after months of not and before that years. So I’m sure there is more I haven’t discovered again. I still played sims 4 today too, it’s nice to be able to enjoy both. I take them as they are, not for what either doesn’t have. It makes them more enjoyable to look at them as separate games instead of comparing them. They are both great for different reasons.