January 11 - First Friday Highlight of 2019! Click here to check it out!

Tiny House Challenge

1234568...Next

Comments

  • creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,362 Member
    @Jessabeans <3 LOVE IT!!
  • Jude525Jude525 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Absolutely adorable. Love the common garden. And I'd be hesitant with a family in a tiny house, but I've seen it several times on the TV shows. But, then, I pretty much think the people opting for tiny homes with 3 or 4 kids are pretty much nuts. (Gee, hope I haven't just described someone here.) The only way I see it being viable is in a temperate climate where you can depend on outdoor living the majority of the time. Because then your actual living space spills outside all the time anyway.

    Actually, I was one of 8 children in a 3 bedroom, 1.5 bath house growing up. So, really, not a big step up. I think maybe it was tiny house living, just scaled up for 10 people. If you take a look at my Cute Street build you'll see my actual childhood home. Just imagine 10 people being there, ranging in age from 18 years down to about 18 months. In the Sims version the it would be a routing nightmare to squeeze that many people into that house. You'd get Sims stomping their feet all the time!
    aka Jude
    I own the store as of 1+7/17/17

    My Studio

    My Builds thread in the Creative Corner
  • JessabeansJessabeans Posts: 3,151 Member
    edited April 2018
    @Jude525 Once my sister was living in Louisville in this tiny studio over a bank, it's kitchen was the exact footprint of it's tiny bathroom. It had one of those toy looking ovens, and an intimating ladder to get up to her sleeping loft/bathroom. However her tiny living room had 16 foot ceilings and the bed loft looked over it. It never felt small inside there (which is saying a lot because we never amicably shared a room growing up and I was able to stay over when I visited her), even when she threw a party. I have had actual closets larger than her whole studio and for some reason I keep thinking back to how nice it would have been to pare down and live somewhere like that.

    I wouldn't try living in a tiny home with kids, I only have one 3 year old and she manages to always be at an arm's length from me in our 3 bedroom townhouse. If I didn't have the office to shut myself in at night with games or books (and occasionally wine) I don't think I could be ready to start again the next day. Some of my friends have lovely outdoor areas with decks or firepits and it's nice for the odd night or two with a group but I wouldn't like that as my only 'alone' space at night. I was around 8 children for an hour outdoors Wednesday and they were all over the place, I will never understand how your mother did it.

    I suppose that's the appeal of sims, letting them trying out things that would be less practical to try for yourself.
  • JessabeansJessabeans Posts: 3,151 Member
    It's not a home but have you seen @soocoolsim 's amazing tiny Victorian village festival lot?

    It's so cute and tiny!
  • Jude525Jude525 Posts: 1,439 Member
    I just grabbed it! Thank you for telling us about it. It's like a section out of Epcot's World Showcase. Yay!
    aka Jude
    I own the store as of 1+7/17/17

    My Studio

    My Builds thread in the Creative Corner
  • cianeciane Posts: 15,146 Member
    edited April 2018
    I was only one of four kids, but three of us were girls. We three girls all shared one bedroom, and we only had one bathroom in the house. Still, that is much better than your situation growing up. We have only to put things in prospective to see how good we have/had it, right?
  • EmmySimsEmmySims Posts: 47 Member
    Oof! All of you are such good creators!!! Keep up the good work
  • cianeciane Posts: 15,146 Member
    @Mmdrgntobldrgn was looking for smaller sized lots than the 10x10, so if any of you use the ANY SIZE LOT mod from modthesims...

    Are you interested in making functional tiny lots that might fit a 5x5 to 5x10 lot or some other random size less than 10x15?

    I'd love to see what you can do!!!
  • MmdrgntobldrgnMmdrgntobldrgn Posts: 6,390 Member
    ciane wrote: »
    @Mmdrgntobldrgn was looking for smaller sized lots than the 10x10, so if any of you use the ANY SIZE LOT mod from modthesims...

    Are you interested in making functional tiny lots that might fit a 5x5 to 5x10 lot or some other random size less than 10x15?

    I'd love to see what you can do!!!

    Not looking for per say just yet, but curious to whether anyone has run into routing issues with any of the micro/tiny houses.

    I've got a possibke town mapped out for caw on a tiny map, which means a limit on lots and sizes. In caw a 2x2 lot is possible, lol no building on that size, with the largest being 64x64. So I'm considering a set of 5x5 or similar up to 5x10 as a set of usable baraks for the town.
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Raised on satire. Exploring the universe through imagination since 1969.
    Save Game Often o:)
    repair & clear caches often
    S3 Studio
    S3 blog: The Avani's complete story, s3 store breakdown, & lists of empty lots by world
    Behrooz Family: An apocalypse challengcy
  • cianeciane Posts: 15,146 Member
    @Mmdrgntobldrgn - The main problem with 5 as a lot option means that you can't truly get a big bed in it. MOO will let you finagle it in and can be used. As long as only one sim tries to go that way, no problem. Of course you can put the bed on a rooftop/balcony, but then it's only good for nice weather really.

    I did manage to create a 5x9. I didn't play test it yet.
    It's here:
    l2wu_original.jpg
    https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9234608

    I put a double bed on the top floor without walls and I stuck a crib and bunk beds in the basement. I was thinking of a NPC family living there.
  • MmdrgntobldrgnMmdrgntobldrgn Posts: 6,390 Member
    ciane wrote: »
    @Mmdrgntobldrgn - The main problem with 5 as a lot option means that you can't truly get a big bed in it. MOO will let you finagle it in and can be used. As long as only one sim tries to go that way, no problem. Of course you can put the bed on a rooftop/balcony, but then it's only good for nice weather really.

    I did manage to create a 5x9. I didn't play test it yet.
    It's here:
    l2wu_original.jpg
    https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9234608

    I put a double bed on the top floor without walls and I stuck a crib and bunk beds in the basement. I was thinking of a NPC family living there.

    Barracks, single sim, single bed, no families. :)
    Hence only a small handful of that size small lots. With a few larger lots nearby for families and officers.

    I do like that you tried for a family accommodation in such a small space.
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Raised on satire. Exploring the universe through imagination since 1969.
    Save Game Often o:)
    repair & clear caches often
    S3 Studio
    S3 blog: The Avani's complete story, s3 store breakdown, & lists of empty lots by world
    Behrooz Family: An apocalypse challengcy
  • cianeciane Posts: 15,146 Member
    edited July 2018
    Okay, @Mmdrgntobldrgn - I used my any game starter to create a base game environment and this time I went with the 5x5 lot size and a 3x3 building. With the patches, a ladder and basement are options.

    I really like this one:
    roof_up_original.jpg
    https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9234879

    The main floor has a complete kitchen, table and chair, and laptop.
    l0wd_original.jpg

    The basement has the plumbing and bed.
    l0wu_original.jpg
    Without using store content, a single tile wall t.v. or dresser wasn't an option.

    I also made a second story option:
    https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9234887

    It has a work-out room on the second floor.
    roof_up_original.jpg
    Post edited by ciane on
  • MmdrgntobldrgnMmdrgntobldrgn Posts: 6,390 Member
    ciane wrote: »
    Okay, @Mmdrgntobldrgn - I used my any game starter to create a base game environment and this time I went with the 5x5 lot size and a 3x3 building. With the patches, a ladder and basement are options.

    I really like this one:
    roof_up_original.jpg
    https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9234879

    The main floor has a complete kitchen, table and chair, and laptop.
    l0wd_original.jpg

    The basement has the plumbing and bed.
    l0wu_original.jpg
    Without using store content, a single tile wall t.v. or dresser wasn't an option.

    I also made a second story option:
    https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9234887

    It has a work-out room on the second floor.
    roof_up_original.jpg

    Impressive, how did your tester sim like it. :)

    I'll be starting work on the world I have in mind next week I think. I'll post the link for details as I work over on mypages.
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Raised on satire. Exploring the universe through imagination since 1969.
    Save Game Often o:)
    repair & clear caches often
    S3 Studio
    S3 blog: The Avani's complete story, s3 store breakdown, & lists of empty lots by world
    Behrooz Family: An apocalypse challengcy
  • cianeciane Posts: 15,146 Member
    @Mmdrgntobldrgn - Everything worked fine. The only disappointment was not being able to work out to the radio. Adding a t.v. to the top floor though allows plenty of work out room. As is, the paper girl delivers the paper to the back of the lot. Planting a garden there should force her to move the paper, but I didn't play through that long. My tester was very happy with everything, and happily worked out after I added a t.v., worked on charisma at the mirror, burned her waffles and washed them up in the sink, and got on the computer. She had no problems using the plumbing either. The one thing I noticed later is that I should have added a book case instead of a night stand! (My sims usually go to the library to read as they skill faster that way.)
  • GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,255 Member
    Jessabeans wrote: »
    Okay I'm giving it a try, mind the mess this is a really early WIP.

    I have the pool roughed out and one tentatively decorated so far, I am thinking of putting in garden and a sauna area maybe.
    tumblr_p6kfewWd8S1x95scjo3_r1_1280.jpg

    I mapped out 10x10 sections of the lots, so even though they are on a larger shared 30x30 each house's footprint and deck would have fit on a 10x10 lot.

    tumblr_p6kfewWd8S1x95scjo4_r1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_p6kfewWd8S1x95scjo5_r1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_p6kfewWd8S1x95scjo6_r1_1280.jpg

    This is very nice!
    NO BACKDROPS IN TS5, PLEASE!

    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)

    Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
  • Jude525Jude525 Posts: 1,439 Member
    ciane wrote: »
    @Mmdrgntobldrgn - Everything worked fine. The only disappointment was not being able to work out to the radio. Adding a t.v. to the top floor though allows plenty of work out room. As is, the paper girl delivers the paper to the back of the lot. Planting a garden there should force her to move the paper, but I didn't play through that long. My tester was very happy with everything, and happily worked out after I added a t.v., worked on charisma at the mirror, burned her waffles and washed them up in the sink, and got on the computer. She had no problems using the plumbing either. The one thing I noticed later is that I should have added a book case instead of a night stand! (My sims usually go to the library to read as they skill faster that way.)

    I always forget this aspect of the game. Of course, my Sims are far more likely to get the Stir Crazy moodlet than not in my games. I often get so caught up in household activities that I forget to get around town. Strange when you consider how many public lots I've built.
    aka Jude
    I own the store as of 1+7/17/17

    My Studio

    My Builds thread in the Creative Corner
  • seasseas Posts: 37 Member
    What a cool idea!
  • Jude525Jude525 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Attention Players and Builders: We are considering re-opening the Gift of Creation Game this month. It serves two purposes:

    1) The opportunity for any player to request a custom build that they would like to have for their game, to be made by other players

    2) The opportunity for builders to find inspiration and help out other players who have ideas for something special in mind, but maybe not necessarily the building skills to get them done. Oh, and if we get a few people interested, win some store points.

    If you think you may be interested in either aspect, please take a hop over and take a look. Thanks.
    aka Jude
    I own the store as of 1+7/17/17

    My Studio

    My Builds thread in the Creative Corner
  • SimmortalitySimmortality Posts: 39 Member
    I love the concept of tiny houses - and I love building them for my Sims :D
    This is one I built as part of a building challenge with a friend. I found a picture of a similar house on pinterest and just had to try and recreate it! <3

    Visit Sonrisa on YouTube!
    Don't miss out on new Tutorials, Let's Plays and more!
  • cianeciane Posts: 15,146 Member
    That was fun. Thanks for sharing it with us. Can sims really sleep upstairs or is it just for looks?
  • Jude525Jude525 Posts: 1,439 Member
    edited September 2018
    @Simmortality When I started watching the video I thought how cute it was that English was popping up as like, every fifth or sixth word. And even some of the words that weren't English were close enough to ours that I could understand them. Then I thought, oh yeah, this is looking cute.

    THEN YOU BUILT THE ROOF OF THE GREENHOUSE!!!!! Oh my goat!!!! I SO need to learn that trick. I've only played with constrainelevations a little and have never seen anyone do what you did. I use greenhouses all the time, so am always happy to find a new approach to building them. This was amazing! And then you used glass floor tiles on the porch area, which was also new to me. And would also be a useful option on a larger greenhouse. I am just overwhelmed right now.

    So, I kinda can't think clearly enough to comment on other details of your build that I enjoyed, but there are others. I will say that I don't often watch speed builds. It was fun to see that you seem to approach landscaping the same trial and error way that I do. It was fun watching you experiment with the walking path.

    Anyway, lovely house. And thank you for the ideas. BTW, do you know of a tutorial that specifically teaches how to angle the roof the way you did?

    EDIT: Okay, found your tutorial on the greenhouse roof. But, German isn't THAT close to English (really, there are only about four words in the tiny house video I was able to "translate" anyway *grin*,) so I'm gonna have to see what I can figure out from the video alone. Unless you do happen to have a similar video you can recommend.
    aka Jude
    I own the store as of 1+7/17/17

    My Studio

    My Builds thread in the Creative Corner
1234568...Next
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top