Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Tiny House Challenge

Comments

• MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
    @creativemetaphor: I just realized that the first two or three tiny cottages you posted on this thread never got uploaded. Did you completely lose them in that crash? :(:cry:
  • creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    @MiaSkywalker No, I just completely forgot to upload them. Thankfully I didn't lose *any* data in my crashes, just time and some work. I just couldn't play test there for a bit because the game was *so* crashy. But now that you've reminded me, I've started to play test/tweak them so I can upload :)
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    @jude525 I haven't played this one in winter yet, however it is not actually a missing wall. There is a wall and an arch there - the arch obviously is what creates the opening. But I *believe* that does make the interior function as an interior.

It does.

Instead of placing hot tubs outside on the deck, open for all to see, I like to place them in octagonal "gazebos" using arches on the walls placed with MOO. That way what happens in the hot tub stays in the hot tub. :) .
    @cwaddell Thanks for the confirmation! :* I was pretty confident that was true but admittedly I don't play nearly as much as I build so I don't always get the nuances right ;)
    edited February 2018
    To expand on the idea - in Sims 3 all sims in a room are aware of everything that happens in that room and the whole yard (including porches and decks) or everything on the lot that is outside of the building(s) is considered one room.

I found this out when a couple was in the process of woohooing in the hot tub on the upper deck in the back of the house. The back yard and side yards were securely fenced. Sims in the hot tub could not be seen from anywhere on the lot or from adjacent lots. One morning after the kids left for school the husband and wife decide to take advantage of some alone time by whoohooing in the hot tub when all of a sudden the wife jumps out to chase off the "peeping Tom". The newspaper boy was just delivering the paper and then on his way, completely scandalized by the goings on in the hot tub which he could not see but was aware of.

I later tried on another lot to completely fence in the whole yard and use the security gate. But there are those few spaces in front of the gate that are outside the fence but part of the lot. Paparazzi standing on one of the spaces are aware of everything that happens in the yard.

One of my first solutions was to place the hot tub in a "room" made of walls with arches but having no roof. I made a pergola of sorts. I don't remember if that solved the privacy issue (I think it did) but vampires using the hot tub during the day would burn up so that is when I started creating gazebos to hold the hot tubs. From that I would guess that sims in pergola covered rooms would be affected by the weather too.
  • SandraelleSandraelle Posts: 6,146 Member
    Just looked at this whole thread and there are such awesome tiny houses here! Great job everyone, each and every one is so different. And I love watching those Tiny House shows on DIY and HGTV. I could never live in one though. :p This is inspiring me to build one, lol.
  • mamabear1mamabear1 Posts: 25 Member
    I am enjoying making tiny houses. It's challenging trying to put in essential items to be able to keep the sims alive. But it's fun. I have made a few more, when I can I will try to post them.
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    Your page says you have 50 points @mamabear1, so you should be a full member soon.
  • KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    edited February 2018
    @CWaddle That is very interesting. I was wondering why one of my sims always get the "being watched" or "being hunted" moodlet. Maybe it's because she is not as secure in her house as I thought. It has an open air porch and she likes to sit around in her under wear and do graffiti on the floor. I was always wondering who was watching and from where.
  • mamabear1mamabear1 Posts: 25 Member
    Thank you all for the comments and the likes. I appreciate it and look forward to becoming a full member. :)
    I think you just need to have the minimum amount of posts now. Make more comments in some of the other threads about what you like and you'll soon be able to post pics and links.

I've been reading this thread and enjoy seeing all the tiny houses. I haven't played Sims 3 for months and the last few weeks haven't built anything either. Real life has been the priority. But I just finished a tiny tree house on a 10x10 lot in Hidden Springs. It is definitely not a starter home. Last time I checked it was close to $40,000.

v8tUExt.jpg

Hidden Tree House pictures

• KhemKat19KhemKat19 Posts: 129 Member
    I love all of these, downloaded all the ones I could find on the Exchange! So much creativity :)@creativemetaphor I'm waiting eagerly for the first three builds as well, they're SO CUTE! <3
    @cwaddell - Lovely build! It looks very easy to play with lots of room for a couple of sims.
    So like guess what I FINALLY did? I PLAY TESTED MY MINI BUILDS!!

And UPLOADED THEM! :open_mouth:

Littenby Cottage
    Micronesia
    The Little Princess
    Casa Pequeña
  • KhemKat19KhemKat19 Posts: 129 Member
    YAY! Just downloaded them all! :)
    I was looking through the worlds on the exchange the other day and I stumbled upon a world by Rflong7 called "A Tiny Town." It has around 30 empty 10x10 lots and a few slightly larger ones, 10x15 and a few 20x20 ones. Most of the common rabbit holes are there too.

So, I got all the tiny builds here downloaded (as long as I was sure there was no CC attached) and some I had made in the past and almost filled it up.

I'm going to do a little walk through and I'll post some pictures of it in a few days, It's adorable and tiny :)

PS here's the link to the world -> https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=5489542
    Great find @Kgaff! I left a rec. I'd love to see what your pics reveal and then, I too, might download and have fun there.
    ciane wrote: »
    Great find @Kgaff! I left a rec. I'd love to see what your pics reveal and then, I too, might download and have fun there.

I also remembered a Build n Share when we did a 10x10 build so I went and got those too! It was called Phoenix Rising (I think :/ )
    Here is a link of A Tiny Town. I used all the lots I could find from this thread, a BnS challenge and some that I already had in the bin.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/154029363@N06/?

If anyone knows of more tiny builds, 10x10, either residential or commercial please leave a link to the download or to the studio where they can be found. I still have a few open spots. Thanks
  • Jude525Jude525 Posts: 1,696 Member
    edited March 2018
    So, last night, with all the talk of tiny towns, I started playing with a variant of an idea I'd seen elsewhere. On another thread about customizing rabbit holes I'd seen someone bury a standard rabbit hole and build something unique on the property above it. Since I am currently playing in Lunar Lakes, I kept driving by all those (ugly) rabbit hole pylons. Then I realized something.

They were small. And all the same size. 9x8. This means I would be able to place any rabbit hole that has a Lunar Lakes variant on a lot as small as 13x15 while leaving an exterior wall with only a minimum of one floor that can be designed to suit any town aesthetic.

Now, this technique is not new, nor my own. But, I've never seen it applied to the LL public buildings or specifically to reduce the footprint of those types of buildings without being stuck with the LL aesthetics. Unfortunately, my experiments were conducted on a much larger lot. Now that I know the minimum lot size, I will replicate the process on that size as a template to build others upon. Getting the building the correct depth underground should be interesting on the smaller lot, since I accomplished this by stacking a couple layers of basements. But, since these measurements leave a two tile wide area for a set of stairs to get from street level to the actual building entrance, I may have just enough room to make this happen. If not, I may have to increase the lot size a couple squares.

I know it is an unusual lot size, but of course it could be placed on any larger lot. I want to keep the template as small as possible.

I'm going to continue this project in my own build thread, but, since I was inspired here, and thought it would be of interest, I wanted to include you all directly.

Sidenote, I really need to play with constrain elevation more. I suspect it would have made finding the burial depth easier. But, for this project, my sub-basement solution works. However, using CFE would allow the burial to be more precise and allow the construction of a ground floor with a venue. And possibly use an elevator instead of a staircase from hell. Or, rather, to hell. :D Hmmm, that may be worth pursuing before this project goes any further.

EDIT
    Okay, so, looking for hints, and... yes, it's been done. I still get to be proud of myself for thinking of it. Gonna go back and find out the rest though. And I'll come back with a link for y'all.

PPS,
    Surprisingly, though it's mentioned in a couple places, not finding the actual solution. Reaching out to a couple Simmers that have referenced it that I've had contact with in the past. Okay, officially moving this to my thread now.
    Post edited by Jude525 on
    aka Jude
    I own the store as of 1+7/17/17

My Studio

My build thread in the Creative Corner
    I use the LL rabbit holes, but don't bury them. I build my rabbit hole around them on the ground floor. I have a few buildings like that in my studio. I use the entrance to the rabbit hole as an entrance to the locker room in a gym or a hallway in a spa. I also just put walls around it an give a door. Most buildings will be two story any way, so it's just a matter of building around the rabbit hole. But put it in a basement if you like.
  • Jude525Jude525 Posts: 1,696 Member
    @Hidehi has shown me her solution of placing the LL buildings in a basement on as small a lot as 10x15. I'll share her info here once I get the details. Or a link to her builds. Whichever she prefers.
    aka Jude
    I own the store as of 1+7/17/17

My Studio

My build thread in the Creative Corner
  • fleshjennfleshjenn Posts: 4,919 Member
    edited March 2018
    Hi everyone. So I spent the last few hours trying to build a tiny stable house. it sits on a 10x15 lot that will eventually be across from the equestrian center. I am quite satisfied with the ground floor and marked it completed but the window placement on the upstairs is driving me crazy. if it looks good in the rooms, then it looks bad on the outside and vice versa. I got to the point where I tore down the interior walls.
    can any one here offer me some suggestions?
    screenshot-442.jpg
    screenshot-443.jpg
    screenshot-444.jpg