Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you want story progression?

Comments

• Options
    agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    Only if we can toggle it off
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    agustd wrote: »
    @JoAnne65

You can add story progression through MCCC.

It is very basic, sims pretty much only get married, form relationships and get pregnant (at least I haven't noticed anything more in my own game) but to me personally that's better than nothing :)
    It certainly is. And can you set it? Because if a modder can do that, why wouldn’t the developers of the game?

Yes, you can turn different things about it on and off, for example you can set it so sims in the world have affairs and cheat on their spouses, but you can leave that option disabled. You can even set an exact percentage of how many autonomous marriages and pregnancies you want in the world. Other MCCC settings work amazingly with SP and you can truly customize it to suit your game the best, although that takes some time (at least it did for me until I figured out what works best for me)

It's not perfect but definitely makes the world feel more alive.

Considering Grant's recent tweets, the current team is afraid their vision of what story progression is may not overlap with other players' vision but if a modder can allow us to toggle off unwanted features so should they. It's just probably a thriving, naturally evolving world just isn't a part of their concept for this game. "You rule" - right? ;)
  • Options
    Simsister2004Simsister2004 Posts: 3,536 Member
    If I would use it or not. Or if I would want it doesn't really matter. I have it already, and that is without any mods. sometimes when I look through my unplayed families, and even those who "aren't in the world" all of the sudden I find a single mom with a baby or two. I get curious and place her in a house, let the baby/babies grow to toddlers and learn who the father is. Then I track him down and place him with the mother and the kids. Big success every time! Lots of Story Progression in my game, and I find it exiting. :wink:
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Yes
    @JoAnne65

You can add story progression through MCCC.

It is very basic, sims pretty much only get married, form relationships and get pregnant (at least I haven't noticed anything more in my own game) but to me personally that's better than nothing :)
    It certainly is. And can you set it? Because if a modder can do that, why wouldn’t the developers of the game?

Yes, you can turn different things about it on and off, for example you can set it so sims in the world have affairs and cheat on their spouses, but you can leave that option disabled. You can even set an exact percentage of how many autonomous marriages and pregnancies you want in the world. Other MCCC settings work amazingly with SP and you can truly customize it to suit your game the best, although that takes some time (at least it did for me until I figured out what works best for me)

It's not perfect but definitely makes the world feel more alive.

Considering Grant's recent tweets, the current team is afraid their vision of what story progression is may not overlap with other players' vision but if a modder can allow us to toggle off unwanted features so should they. It's just probably a thriving, naturally evolving world just isn't a part of their concept for this game. "You rule" - right? ;)
    Thanks! MCCC is a mod I don’t have yet, but I think I should...
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    AdalynAdalyn Posts: 5 New Member
    I think it should also have options .. Let's say your sim lives in willow creek
    Toggle: On or Off should be the top option (Will set defaults, so check that)
    Sims living in willow creek (your city) will create new relationships (defualt yes if toggled on)
    Sims living in WC will divorce / break up (default no)
    Sims living in WC will have children (default no)
    Sims living in WC will change jobs (Default yes)
    Sims living in WC will move (default yes)
    Sims living in WC will move out (default yes)
    Sims living in WC will move out of the "sims" play area (basically stop existing to create more houses to have new generated sims enter etc. Default no)
    Sims out of your city (different tab):
    Sims living out of WC will create relationships (default yes)Sims living in willow creek (your city) will create new relationships (defualt yes if toggled on)
    Sims living out of WC will divorce / break up (default no)
    Sims living out of WC will have children (default yes)
    Sims living out of WC will change jobs (Default yes)
    Sims living out of WC will move into WC if houses are available (default yes)
    Sims living out of WC will move into different worlds (default yes)

I've never tried MCCC so i'm not sure if this is how the mod functions, but this is how i'd like things to happen in the default game if this is added. I also want more developed relationships to come with it (aunt uncle step mother etc)
  • Options
    MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    Yes
    Please, yes.
    A toggle would be good for everyone's sake, and I do hope there would be one, but personally I just want my unplayed sims to move on with their lives and actually DO STUFF without me having to resort to using mods which need constant updating. Procrastinating on updating my MCCC mod is exactly what has been keeping me from continuing my legacy game. I need the world to be alive. :/

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    edited July 2018
    of course it was one of my favourite features from the sims 3.

also it was a feature like many from the sims 3 which was optional to use. so you could turn it on or off
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    Yes
    When it comes to game play, I think that TS2 is the best in the series. However, besides the aesthetic of the Sims, the lack of Story Progression is probably the thing most responsible for me not playing TS2 anymore. I've tried going back multiple times, but the thought of the static world always turns me off.

TS3's Story Progression gave me everything that I had been wishing for but couldn't have with TS2 -- a living, breathing world that evolved and grew with or without input from me.

If it weren't for MCCC, I wouldn't have bothered with TS4 at all.

That said, when I saw the poll, my first response was a resounding Yes! I didn't read any further. :D However, I wouldn't be opposed to a toggle for the players who prefer more fine control.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    I am the type of simmer that likes to play rotational (sims 2), but also likes to play generational (sims 3). They should have implemented that since day 0.
  • Options
    sikasika18sikasika18 Posts: 343 Member
    No
    No thank you.
    I want total control and freedom in MY game and don't want EA "story progression" to ruin it!
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    No
    No, not one bit of it. I needed NRaas to fix it in the sims 3. And I really hated that when you toggled it off it was never completely off. Like your sims would still adopt pets and stuff. Just...no...Also, I know I am in the minority but I don't want my townies getting married and having babies unless I instruct them to. Moving Sims into vacant homes and townies aging in sims 4 is even too much progression for me. Again, I know I am in the minority. I just remember what royal pain Sims 3 Story Progression was without my game being modded. Story progression was honestly why I had so many saves in the sims 3. It ruined rotational play for me because the game "thought" it knew what I wanted to do with my sims.

EXACTLY this - was my experience as well. OFF did not seem to mean completely off. I don't want the game playing itself - it's my game and I like the option of deciding what ALL the sims do - period.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    Yes
    Absolutely. I take it for granted that we could turn it off though, but it's just so sad when I send my Sims kids away and they end up lonely forever.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,915 Member
    edited July 2018
    I got so upset about my grandparents being killed off recently that I want a toggle for lots of things!

I don't want a mod to do it for me.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    I’m in between yes and no. While I don’t really want it for my own households, I would like it for unplayed households. I think it’s weird that families just die off completely.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Yes
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Absolutely. I take it for granted that we could turn it off though, but it's just so sad when I send my Sims kids away and they end up lonely forever.
    Exactly. Because doesn’t that mean the game is playing itself as well? Every sim I send out there staying single till they die? All couples I move out being childless forever? That tells a tale as well and for me a very sad one.

I played rotational once by the way, back in 2010. Moved to a different sim and played the stylist career with her (so I was with her for quite some time). When she married the heir of my legacy and he joined my active family again, nothing had happened to him. Really absolutely nothing. Just that he hated his dad but that made sense, his dad had made his girlfriend pregnant. Households do get pets. There’s nothing easier that freeing a family of a pet though.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    thunal33thunal33 Posts: 5 New Member
    Yes
    I definitely think there should be story progression. I've had to do it myself in some cases (especially with members of the main family I no longer control), and this would be so much easier and more interesting. A toggle would be nice, but I would still like it even without a toggle.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited July 2018
    No
    I disliked it totally in Sims 3 and kept it shut off - so if they do offer it - and patch it in - I hope it comes with an off button. The thing I hated most in Sims 3 SP besides non-played sims procreating worse than rabbits - was when the SP would go after my own sims I played in rotation - ones I did not want to have a job outside of the household until they had degrees and I was planning their futures - I experienced even SP making them have babies when I did not want them to have babies. I played so my sims didn't have babies until they were established in their career, had Uni behind them - got married and had turned adult age - but sp didn't see it my way. Rotational play in Sims 3 was hard enough without the game doing it's own thing when ever it felt like it because there were not enough babies in the neighborhood - it had no business touching mine.

If I wanted to watch a story I never planned - I'd watch tv - EA sp is just too agressive - as I saw modder made sp a lot less agressive and I did not even use that. So No - unless it can be shut off - then please no SP. Sims 2 was fine with no sp.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,915 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    I disliked it totally in Sims 3 and kept it shut off - so if they do offer it - and patch it in - I hope it comes with an off button. The thing I hated most in Sims 3 SP besides non-played sims procreating worse than rabbits - was when the SP would go after my own sims I played in rotation - ones I did not want to have a job outside of the household until they had degrees and I was planning their futures - I experienced even SP making them have babies when I did not want them to have babies. I played so my sims didn't have babies until they were established in their career, had Uni behind them - got married and had turned adult age - but sp didn't see it my way. Rotational play in Sims 3 was hard enough without the game doing it's own thing when ever it felt like it because there were not enough babies in the neighborhood - it had no business touching mine.

If I wanted to watch a story I never planned - I'd watch tv - EA sp is just too agressive - as I saw modder made sp a lot less agressive and I did not even use that. So No - unless it can be shut off - then please no SP. Sims 2 was fine with no sp.

It can be very upsetting at times as in Sims3. I found the parents dead but left the babies in the house
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    No
    No. My sims world consists of my sims. I don't want the game deciding who hooks up with who, or who gets pregnant, or who works where. That's MY decision when I decide to make it happen.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Yes

The question is ‘do we want story progression’, not ‘do we want Sims 3’s crippled version of story progression’ (so crippled that after a few years they patched it out of the game). And I think it’s a misconception people who like story progression in their game want the game to be a tv show. Unplanned stuff happening around your sim isn’t like watching a tv show at all, on the contrary, because for players who love that (I for instance don’t care to play rotational at all, for me that would be a bore) it’s in fact the surprises that hand the gameplay. When the girl I had put into my game to become the love interest of my sim appeared to be pregnant after a sim week, I had to deal with that (I loved it and decided to raise the kid). Because it’s the player who will have to decide how their own sims are going to react. Unlike a tv show where everything’s scripted by others, including the lives of the main characters.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member

The question is ‘do we want story progression’, not ‘do we want Sims 3’s crippled version of story progression’ (so crippled that after a few years they patched it out of the game). And I think it’s a misconception people who like story progression in their game want the game to be a tv show. Unplanned stuff happening around your sim isn’t like watching a tv show at all, on the contrary, because for players who love that (I for instance don’t care to play rotational at all, for me that would be a bore) it’s in fact the surprises that hand the gameplay. When the girl I had put into my game to become the love interest of my sim appeared to be pregnant after a sim week, I had to deal with that (I loved it). Because it’s the player who will have to decide how their own sims are going to react. Unlike a tv show where everything’s scripted by others, including the lives of the main characters.

Exactly.

They don't have to repeat their mistakes this time around. I do agree the original SP was a bit aggressive so to speak, but a lot of polls and a good listen to the community would allow them to better that feature. And obviously there's the perfect scenario of SP+ability to turn it off that's still possible. People are so fixated on TS3 having issues but it is not TS3 we're talking about. SP in TS4 could be something completely new and customizable. If a modder can create SP for TS4 and make it so households chosen by you are bypassed (and it 100% works) no reason to think developers with ivy league degrees can't do it even better.

Just like rotational players don't want their families being out of control, I find the lack of progress in town sad and immersion breaking. There are no toddlers in my town unless I personally make sure to create or download them. At some point all your neighbors just die off having left absolutely nothing behind, not having impacted the world in any way. It's not realistic. When my sim has 5 children, I'm not gonna play every single one of them later on to develop their story. Just like irl, I want them to move out and have lives on their own while I'm focusing on just one heir. I think SP very much belongs in a life simulator, just well designed and customizable. We all want something different from the game but that's why we should be calling for options, not cancelling features important to others. I don't like supernaturals but if I had the power to somehow, magically influence EA decision makers to never ever include them in the series again I would never decide to do that.
  • Options
    soko37soko37 Posts: 593 Member
    edited July 2018
    No
    I make my own story progression. I don't want anyone else doing it for me. Not in sims 4 at least. In sims 3 I liked it, but mostly played with it turned off.
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited July 2018
    I would hope there are options for Sims 4 story progression, if there is to be major story progression in Sims 4.

I would be a very, very angry customer if I was forced to do story progression.

ETA: You know how some simmers complain about Sims 4 not following the “You Rule” selling catchphrase?

That is how I feel about Story Progression—especially without toggles or choices. I would definitely not “rule” in that kind of situation! :rage:

No toggles or no options would be inconsiderate and rude towards some playstyles.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Yes
    I feel about no SP like others feel about yes SP. It’s spoiling the experience, I don’t feel like my sims are living in an actual world (that includes Sims 3 after they got rid of it and before I discovered mastercontroller). This game is only good with no SP when you like playing rotational. Not everyone does. If you’d be angry when they’d implement SP, maybe you can understand a little how those who do want SP feel without it.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    No
    This game is only good with no SP when you like playing rotational.
    I don't play rotationally and would not like SP. I don't think it's necessarily about playing rotationally vs not playing rotationally.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)