Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Mermaid ? Why this vote ???

LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,236 Member
Hi,

I don't really understand this irrational choice, this life state can do nothing.
  • No power
  • Nowhere to swim in the existing worlds
  • Just a sim wearing a fishtail
  • No dolphin friend or sea pet
  • 99.99% of the time it's a standard sim in the everyday life.

Look at The Sims 3, Mermaid is a decorative life state, the gameplay is empty.

And after that, people complain about the lack of gameplay in The Sims 4... just it's insane !

Note: I like Mermaid but the restrictions of the game kill the idea.

Post edited by LeGardePourpre on

Comments

• Options
    MelodyElodieMelodyElodie Posts: 107 Member
    edited June 2018

I agree! They are currently second in the new poll (the final poll).

I'd prefer to have an upgrade to imaginary friends or fairies than to have mermaids.
    Witches I don't mind because actually the whole system for them can be very adaptable for normal sims instead of having a whole lifeform dedicated to them. Pretty sure it would be cool for any Sim to learn witchcraft/magic. (Shame we won't have werewolves [Lunar Moon Cycles] due to it being third in the previous poll)
    Fairies could really come under witchcraft tbh but they'd just be a different life form, their flying capabilities like vampires. If Fairies came in after Witches and Vampires, it may seem very repetitive since it would be taking stuff from other occults before it in that sense, if we get witches the next I wouldn't mind would be;
    Imaginary Friends. I think needs a revamp after how annoying they were previously. It would be a great addition to the game if done right.
    Sig.png

• Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,236 Member
    edited June 2018
    Maybe people are voting for it to have the waters opened up for swimming...

Certainly but it's not realistic.

Sadly, The Sims 4 won't be as fun as The Sims 3 Island Paradise due to the restrictions.
    We can imagine a tiny Mermaid world like Sixam where there is nothing to do, just swim laps.
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    @LeGardePourpre Sims 3 vampires weren't all that great either, but look what we've got now. As long as mermaids are placed in their own gamepack, they will definitely be better than what came before. Witches will win the vote, but with mermaids coming in second we'll likely get them at some point, too.
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member

Absolutely why I voted for it. That was a major factor, anyway.
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited June 2018
    A major thing is that mermaids can introduce ocean/open water swimming.

Also, some mermaids in some media do have a little bit of power (like charm singing, summoning fish, and/or communicating with fish, etc).

It would also be nice to have some challenge as well, since mermaids have to be in water often.

And, of course, I just love, love, love the aesthetics and fantasy of mermaids/merfolk themselves and their underwater worlds. :smile:
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited June 2018
    I feel like imaginary friends are like the stuffed animals already in game. You can talk to them but nothing happens. All they’d do is make it so they can come alive again. What’s the surprise or fun in that? Been there, done that. That’s the one I’m surprised is doing so well in the poll.

I think they could really flesh out mermaids. It interests me. If I were on The Twitter this is what I would’ve voted for. Plus, I feel they’d have to open up the ocean to swim in or at least make a new world that opens up the ocean to swim in. That’s worth the risk of voting for it in my opinion.
  • Options
    I want the official mer-tails, so I don’t have to rely on mods and CC anymore.

I would love to see how the devs would envision mermaids.

Even if there’s no ocean, I would still have my mermaids/merfolk go into all water sources. For example, in Sims 3, I put tons of pools in the world, lol. :lol:

Even if they do oceans a little like Sims 2 Bon Voyage ocean swimming (but maybe bigger range), I would still be happy.
    (She/her)
  • Options
    wormstache999wormstache999 Posts: 477 Member
    Technically you could say the same about each life state here. Each of these can be really boring, but if they actually take the ideas of the fans in consideration than every life state has a lot of potential.

Certainly but it's not realistic.

Sadly, The Sims 4 won't be as fun as The Sims 3 Island Paradise due to the restrictions.
    We can imagine a tiny Mermaid world like Sixam where there is nothing to do, just swim laps.
    I had the exact same thought - Maybe your Sim will transform into a mermaid when they go swimming and then they can uncover some secret/hidden underwater lot? Sounds like a good idea, but we definitely need more for mermaids. I'm not sure about supernatural abilities because most things I can come up with are too similar to vampires or witches, but maybe we can have a lot of special interactions and stuff.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    I would vote for witches, but can't because I'm not on Twitter. I wish they would put the polls on here :(
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    I guess people thought that since there's nothing to accomodate mermaids in the game right now, they would have to add all that stuff in with them. People jump to assumptions very quickly, though.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited June 2018
    I voted witches a couple of minutes ago and the voting so far to date is...…….

Witches 52%

Mermaids 28%

Fairies 9%

Imaginary Friends 11%

17,684 votes

2 days left
  • Options
    safersavioursafersaviour Posts: 507 Member
    I'm glad Witches are dominating, but I'm not as against Mermaids as some. It all depends on implimentation, and Mermaids as a life state have a great deal of potential. I'd rather see them given their own Game Pack though. That way we could get an underwater section that's at least as big as Forgotten Hollow. Maybe.
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    This is what I was thinking mermaids=beaches to go to if probably what a lot of people were thinking.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    I"m sure they can do a lot better with mermaids in this game than they did with the other supernatural life states as that was a fairly boring pack, even with witches there was nothing truly impactful with gameplay or the magic spells that were just meh. Mermaids were definitely more of an aesthetic choice in supernatural than anything.

I'd actually like mermaids to be a bit more dangerous honestly in the way that there's a chance one might drown your sim.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    I think people are going along the lines of, if mermaids will, then the devs will actually have to work on unlocking all the bodies of water.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    PurrdaleckiPurrdalecki Posts: 972 Member
    I voted mermaids because I was hoping they could expand upon them. Just because a life state is done one way in one iteration doesn't mean they will be done same in the next, take vampires for example. Also I'm not a fan of imaginary friends, I love zombies outside of the sims but I wasn't so sure the more modern take on zombies you see in films like Warm Bodies or shows like iZombie that are one my favourite types of zombies would be done, I love classic zombies too but the sims has an age rating and I feel the full thrill of classic zombies can't be replicated in the sims with it's current age rating.

Robots, hm, they're cool, cyborgs would be even cooler, but I have the most interest for mermaids. I'm not voting them on the final poll though, witches get my vote on that because that's the main thing I'm after and if mermaids don't win I can always fall back on the mermaid mod that exists by Nyx on mts...
    tumblr_inline_o2epubgZOk1tbsl8q_500.gif
    My sims 4 studio with poses for download and stuff: click
  • Options
    mommy19959699mommy19959699 Posts: 226 Member
    Not gonna lie, I was a bit bummed to see Mermaids make it so high up too. They are boring for me and will probably be as desperate for water as plantsims in TS4, a real needy pain. I'd have to download a mod just to play them.
    I voted witches the first round and robots the second, then of course witches again for the final round. I just hope they get done right and not end up cute witches.
    It really got on my nerves that SO many people were voting because of the water, that's probably gonna happen in a paradise pack if it's going to anyway. But! who knows, maybe we'll get a few of the occults anyway somewhere down the line.
  • Options
    Not gonna lie, I was a bit bummed to see Mermaids make it so high up too. They are boring for me and will probably be as desperate for water as plantsims in TS4, a real needy pain. I'd have to download a mod just to play them.
    I voted witches the first round and robots the second, then of course witches again for the final round. I just hope they get done right and not end up cute witches.
    It really got on my nerves that SO many people were voting because of the water, that's probably gonna happen in a paradise pack if it's going to anyway. But! who knows, maybe we'll get a few of the occults anyway somewhere down the line.

I voted mermaids because I LOVE mermaids in general, period. :blush: (I love mermaids, fairies, angels, witches, werewolves, and vampires. Mermaids are usually number one for me.)

I hope for witches, they provide a nice variety and diffferent types of witches, so the simmers like me who like cute witches can get their options, and the ones who don’t like cute witches get their own scary or devious witch options as well. :smile:
    (She/her)
  • Options
    Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    Hence there is the rub. Given the history of EA taking the short cut I would say witches are going to win this so called poll. Mermaids are going to require EA to open the water for swimming and other things. While a witch is already a Sim needing a few sparkles and broom calling it a day.
  • Options
    mommy19959699mommy19959699 Posts: 226 Member
    @bunny-🐸🐸🐸🐸 Yes, of course. We should have options. And if you voted because you love mermaids than good, on the other hand, MANY people were admitting to voting purely for beaches, THAT sucked to see! lol.
  • Options
    poltergeistpoltergeist Posts: 1,411 Member
    origin id: kuhpflanzen ∘ tumblr
    tumblr_inline_p3itdx0yaH1v2uzv2_1280.gif

• Options
    RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    edited July 2018
    Technically you could say the same about each life state here. Each of these can be really boring, but if they actually take the ideas of the fans in consideration than every life state has a lot of potential.

Yes!
    In all of these states is potential, just because some people lack the imagination (or knowledge about the creatures/states?) doesn't mean they couldn't be great. Now, generally not being interested in fairytale creatures I could understand (I am generally not very interested in aliens, robots or zombies...) but saying they could only be boring is unfair, cause you never know what lovers of mermaids and devs with enough imagination might be able to do.
    I have already written and read alot of ideas for mermaids on this forum alone...

So yeah I would vote mermaids everytime, especially since I really love what they did with the vampires,so I got high hopes for equally well done other stages (with there own litte worlds including lots to build on and use/live on, not like the hidden "worlds"), also imagine the build and CAS objects this could bring....but I digress...

In conclusion:
    I am all for mermaids! Mermaids forever! Mermaids for the win!!!!
    Post edited by RavenSpit on
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Merfolk bore me.

Witches, werewolves and zombies are what the game lacks.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif