Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Mermaid ? Why this vote ???

Comments

• Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,091 Member
    With all the current worlds with no swimmable oceans lakes or ponds Mermaids sound as fun as Vampires you cant hunt.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    I’m glad mermaids are a choice, and that mermaids were one of the higher choices. At least it shows there is interest in one of my fave supernaturals. :smile:
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,325 Member
    edited July 2018
    Well, now I understand better your point of view.

@ChadSims2

Note: You can hunt vampires by freezing them with the SimRay, the sunlight will kill them at the end.
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    I actually liked mermaids, but I think they can get creative with them in TS4. If they had a similar power system like TS4 vampires, it can work. I'd like it if a mermaid could lure people using a siren song or summon sharks, for example. Although I think mermaids would work best if scuba diving and underwater worlds would return, which I'm unsure of in this game.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    triniwaytriniway Posts: 16 Member
    Actually, every time a new type of Sim is introduced in the game, they're coming with a new GP or EP. They're not just coming out of nowhere. So probably the people who voted for Mermaids, had in mind that there would be a new seaside world where you can interact with the sea and swim, interact with other sea species, have beaches and other stuff like new skills or even a new lifeguard career?

When we vote we have an idea about how this new introduction would work out with the new gameplay and the already released packs
  • Options
    agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    I think after Vampires being so well done, people kind of fell into a trap of assuming that every single supernatural life state from now on will be amazing. That's the reason mermaids won - they could've been much, much better in TS3 so people hope this iteration will flesh them out.

I personally can't see mermaids coming. This game doesn't even have an ocean. I know y'all will say - they can always add a world with an ocean, but think about it. EA won't include such widely requested feature in a GP. The amount of work required for implementing oceans in TS4 is EP worthy, and they've stated supernaturals won't be included in expansions anymore, after GTW aliens backlash. The only way I see them giving us oceans is a vacation EP, but then... How would they even advertise mermaids in a GP? Buy this cool GP but you need a vacation DLC for it to work? Nope. They won't do that.

And for some reason, a supernatural EP seems unlikely now, when we have the GP format that already gave us vampires. Nothing adds up here.
  • Options
    Luuciia1Luuciia1 Posts: 71 Member
    Mermaids are one of the most beloved, beautiful, and mysterious mythical creatures. They can be good or evil, and they definitely can have powers. There are as many versions of mermaids as there are vampire ones so it could be full of content if done like they did with vampires.

The ability to swim in bodies of water is a MUST for mermaids and I think people that voted for them knew that very well. They would have to implement that. Then it also opens the possibility of diving and of an underwater world. Done well, mermaids could be part of an awesome DLC.

This was precisely my opinion, I hope they end up doing something like this too, even if it is not for mermaids. I would love to see something new are refreshing, the game-pack of vampires and the seasons one has my hopes high and I wish they would take this opportunity to keep the content in the same line progression
  • Options
    Movotti wrote: »
    Merfolk bore me.

Witches, werewolves and zombies are what the game lacks.

Do you have an Idea of how you would like to see zombies in the game? I dont know you but i hated zombies in sims 3, they were useless and super annoying... since sims team hates for some reason bringing real repercussions and like bad negative aspects of life to the game for some reason, I dont really see how they would add zombies and make it fun. Thats why, how would you do it ?
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited July 2018
    I agree mermaids in Sims 3 are pretty meh (they can swim and catch/eat fish, that’s it basically; and it’s beyond me why they swim so slowly instead of jetski speed), but the poll doesn’t say “mermaids Sims 3 style” does it? I’d love it if they could create an underwater world/neighborhood for example, an Atlantis like kind of world. Mermaids do have a special power by the way: they can breath under water.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I agree mermaids in Sims 3 are pretty meh (they can swim and catch/eat fish, that’s it basically; and it’s beyond me why they swim so slowly instead of jetski speed), but the poll doesn’t say “mermaids Sims 3 style” does it? I’d love it if they could create an underwater world/neighborhood for example, an Atlantis like kind of world. Mermaids do have a special power by the way: they can breath under water.

Exactly I am for a vocational world like we got with selvadora but with not so much detail ( cause that would be too much asking lol ) and a complete underworld water with houses, cafeterias, shops, water furnitures for the mermaid creatures, mermaid families !!! That people would discover only by diving into the water and befriending them... I would love them to bee very different styles of mermaids and that they could be both extremely cute and adorable as lethal and mean like drawing to death a diver to suck its live force and gain more years to live or gain their knowledge or both ahha ( but yeah guess this is probably asking to much from them too :disappointed: )
  • Options
    mikamika Posts: 1,734 Member
    How do you know they won't be given powers or marine creature pets? They may have not been as interesting in TS3, but 4 is a different game. They could very well be expanded upon and even given their own underwater world in this iteration. I personally love mermaids as much as I love witches and vamps, and have faith they'll be a unique lifestate this time around.
  • Options
    mika wrote: »
    How do you know they won't be given powers or marine creature pets? They may have not been as interesting in TS3, but 4 is a different game. They could very well be expanded upon and even given their own underwater world in this iteration. I personally love mermaids as much as I love witches and vamps, and have faith they'll be a unique lifestate this time around.

Thats exactly how I thought, If they ever make them i hope they do something to the sort
  • Options
    worldofdrakanworldofdrakan Posts: 329 Member
    edited July 2018
    Not going to lie, I'm very disappointed with the poll results. Witches were a given, but mermaids? I think people fell into a trap, not only because of how well done the vampires were, but because of the same thing that happened with Laundry Day. Don't get me wrong, I like Laundry Day, but just like how people flocked to the Eco-Friendly pack idea because of the idea of laundry, people probably thought that introducing mermaids would mean that the oceans would be opened up in all worlds. But now we have confirmation that this is more than likely not going to be the case.

Sims Team, I would greatly consider a re-vote on the second part of the poll with this being explained to everyone. I'd suggest teasing some of the features that each would have (and what they wouldn't have) to be fair. If this were to be done, I believe that there would be a significant difference in the results.

I really would have preferred imaginary friends over mermaids. I'm also really disappointed that werewolves weren't even an option that we could pick.
    Post edited by worldofdrakan on
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited July 2018
    I’d be fine with mermaids not being able to go into the sea in every neighborhood, as long as they’d always be able to return to their water world. And that in Sims 4 is very possible.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    I would love a underwater-watery world! :smiley:

And I would not mind pools for mermaids. I did that in a few worlds.
    In some mermaid shows/episodes/movies, some people turned into merfolk whenever they come into contact with any water, not just ocean water. So bathtubs, pools, sprinklers, etc.

ETA: Still, the fact that they put mermaids on a poll makes me optimistic for some kind of ocean swimming, even if it’s a limited area, sort of like in Sims 2.
    (She/her)
  • Options
    Petarce123Petarce123 Posts: 493 Member
    Mermaids actually do have powers sometimes. Just look at shows like H2O: Just Add Water and Mako Mermaids. If they're done that way, they'd be perfect. :smile:
    I want Seasons and Island Paradise for The Sims 4!

• Options
    skelebeeskelebee Posts: 101 Member
    I agree completely and I'd much prefer zombies tbh, if only to be able to play an apocalypse-type scenario. Robots would be cool, too, and I liked them in the Sims 3.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    skelebee wrote: »
    I agree completely and I'd much prefer zombies tbh, if only to be able to play an apocalypse-type scenario. Robots would be cool, too, and I liked them in the Sims 3.

If zombies come, I hope there is an option to turn them off or ways to cure or kill them off...
    (She/her)
  • Options
    JouvayJouvay Posts: 834 Member
    It's a horrible idea but I get why people voted that way - a world where your sims can swim in the ocean.
  • Options
    JouvayJouvay Posts: 834 Member
    For the record, I really hate the fact Devs are doing this. Last time we just got laundry day instead of a good eco stuff pack. Just....

SMH.
  • Options
    soko37soko37 Posts: 593 Member
    edited July 2018
    I'm kinda with you except I don't like the idea at all and think it's dumb. A half-fish sim????? Only thing I can think is that kids are voting for this.

I've been voting for witches and I think they won out over fish people anyhow. Let's hope next they don't have half groundhog sims living underground or half bird sims living in trees.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    soko37 wrote: »
    I'm kinda with you except I don't like the idea at all and think it's dumb. A half-fish sim????? Only thing I can think is that kids are voting for this.

I've been voting for witches and I think they won out over fish people anyhow. Let's hope next they don't have half groundhog sims living underground or half bird sims living in trees.

Excuse me, I’m not a kid.

I love mermaids, and it’s not dumb if the devs think it’s a good enough option to put on a poll.

Sims 3 certainly didn’t think mermaids were dumb as they put mermaids in an expansion pack!

Mermaids are no dumber than zombies, imaginary friends, werewolves, vampires, fairies, etc. Mermaids are a mythological/supernatural creature, just like the werewolves, fairies, genies, vampires, etc.

ETA: Plus, they’re the only supernatural (so far) that many people expect to be doing the deep-ocean swimming.

And maybe another reason for using a lot of watery stuff. (Gives another reason for pool swimming or showers. Could provide challenges and stories out of that important need to be wet.)
    Post edited by LatinaBunny on
    (She/her)
  • Options
    CeCeDotCeCeDot Posts: 230 Member
    In the Sims 3 island paradise was the only world with scuba dive spots, so mermaids bringing dive able oceans is not that weird
  • Options
    jonilla1jonilla1 Posts: 1,120 Member

I love mermaids, and it’s not dumb if the devs think it’s a good enough option to put on a poll.

Sims 3 certainly didn’t think mermaids were dumb as they put mermaids in an expansion pack!

Mermaids are no dumber than zombies, imaginary friends, werewolves, vampires, fairies, etc. Mermaids are a mythological/supernatural creature, just like the werewolves, fairies, genies, vampires, etc.

Still they are boring. I see no gameplay value for them. They do nothing but swim around and eat algae, yes they look neat but still. On the other hand witches can do magic and make potions that can make sims life a little bit easier etc and they are far more interesting in every way when you compare them to mermaids.

But everyone has their opinion, and i'm not bashing yours :)
    Origin EA ID: Xaldin257 Friend requests are welcome.

Some of my creations in the gallery use CC so remember to enable them in the gallery's options to see them all.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    jonilla1 wrote: »

Still they are boring. I see no gameplay value for them. They do nothing but swim around and eat algae, yes they look neat but still. On the other hand witches can do magic and make potions that can make sims life a little bit easier etc and they are far more interesting in every way when you compare them to mermaids.

But everyone has their opinion, and i'm not bashing yours :)

Yeah, but no need to bash the choices or talk down about players (saying we’re just dumb kids, etc). We all want our supernaturals, no?

Not everyone likes all of the same supernaturals, but we don’t need to insult the players or the devs for wanting to add specific supernaturals as a choice.

Also, some fiction and tabletop rpgs have some mermaids with magic as well. They did summon the kraken in Sims 3, after all....

They could do a bit more with mermaids as well, like giving them some seductive siren (luring) stuff similar to vampires’ charm powers.And maybe play with dolphins or communicate with fish and such.

There is always potential with all supernaturals.
    (She/her)