Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Mermaid ? Why this vote ???

Comments

• Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited July 2018
    Cinebar wrote: »
    CeCeDot wrote: »
    If we’re going to limit mermaids to the barest basic original myth, then we might as well limit werewolves and zombies and imaginary friends, etc.

No, those legends have more powers than mermaids it is only in the last few centuries mermaids and Disney etc. gave maids some extra stuff they never supposedly had. :D

Vampires in TS4 got powers and inspiration from RECENT pop culture, not completely from their original myth

Yes, but vamps aren't confused with a werewolf. In this thread some are mixing sirens with mermaids and mixing those powers. That's why it should be a siren creature instead of a mermaid who is supposedly gentle and kind and never evil so they would never be wrecking ships with a song like ears ringing. I'm just taking issue with mixing two creatures together. We would never mix up werewolves with vampire powers.

Best of both worlds? So merfolk instead of just mermaids. That way we can create whatever we want; a mermaids, siren, etc

Edit: just because people confuse mermaids and sirens doesn't mean they can't have new powers added based on TV or media

Well, o.k. but what does that tell you? That mermaids are so lame pop culture (and old movies) had to give them other powers from other mythical creatures. I mean I don't have to tell a tale a werewolf can disappear at will, we all know that belongs to vamps not werewolves.

So what? People may like them aestethically and story wise, and others want them to get the same treatment as vampires.
    Why does it bother you so much anyway? Can't people like things different from your interest?

Of course, but as far as powers go and the supernatural being, I don't see a reason to add them. Others can want them but as I said I agree with the OP they would have to add a bucket load of powers to bring them up to par with the vampire powers in this game. And if you think about it, there isn't much you can add to make a mermaid have a bucket full of powers. Witches would automatically have loads of powers just by being a witch. They would have to make up some powers to make the mermaid worthy of a GP.

By those strict standards and rules, you might as well not do any supernatural except witches, witches, witches, and more witches...

Edit: Because witches would always beat everyone, if we’re comparing powers/spells.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    CeCeDotCeCeDot Posts: 230 Member
    If we’re going to limit mermaids to the barest basic original myth, then we might as well limit werewolves and zombies and imaginary friends, etc.

No, those legends have more powers than mermaids it is only in the last few centuries mermaids and Disney etc. gave maids some extra stuff they never supposedly had. :D

Vampires in TS4 got powers and inspiration from RECENT pop culture, not completely from their original myth

Yes, but vamps aren't confused with a werewolf. In this thread some are mixing sirens with mermaids and mixing those powers. That's why it should be a siren creature instead of a mermaid who is supposedly gentle and kind and never evil so they would never be wrecking ships with a song like ears ringing. I'm just taking issue with mixing two creatures together. We would never mix up werewolves with vampire powers.

Best of both worlds? So merfolk instead of just mermaids. That way we can create whatever we want; a mermaids, siren, etc

Edit: just because people confuse mermaids and sirens doesn't mean they can't have new powers added based on TV or media

Well, o.k. but what does that tell you? That mermaids are so lame pop culture (and old movies) had to give them other powers from other mythical creatures. I mean I don't have to tell a tale a werewolf can disappear at will, we all know that belongs to vamps not werewolves.

So what? People may like them aestethically and story wise, and others want them to get the same treatment as vampires.
    Why does it bother you so much anyway? Can't people like things different from your interest?

Of course, but as far as powers go and the supernatural being, I don't see a reason to add them. Others can want them but as I said I agree with the OP they would have to add a bucket load of powers to bring them up to par with the vampire powers in this game. And if you think about it, there isn't much you can add to make a mermaid have a bucket full of powers. Witches would automatically have loads of powers just by being a witch. They would have to make up some powers to make the mermaid worthy of a GP.

Well they had to take tv tropes and looks for vampires to make them the way they are. Take a look at the vampires from TS3, they don't have half the powers of 4 and are not nearly as powerful. If you have the imagination as some people in this post, you can add a lot more then you think! Besides they could focus more on things only mermaids can do, rather than just powers for mermaids.
    And you are right, witches/warlocks/sorcerers have way more powers possibilities, but that doesn't make them the 'better' occult. That's just your opinion and doesn't represent everyone's way of thinking
  • Options

Well they had to take tv tropes and looks for vampires to make them the way they are. Take a look at the vampires from TS3, they don't have half the powers of 4 and are not nearly as powerful. If you have the imagination as some people in this post, you can add a lot more then you think! Besides they could focus more on things only mermaids can do, rather than just powers for mermaids.
    And you are right, witches/warlocks/sorcerers have way more powers possibilities, but that doesn't make them the 'better' occult. That's just your opinion and doesn't represent everyone's way of thinking

Yup! One of the gurus even said they made vampires out of multiple sources, including various pop culture. I’m glad they allowed variety and weren’t strict on using only ONE single source, or else everyone would look like Dracula or an ugly Nospheratu(spell?).
    (She/her)
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

I'm not campaigning for either one. I simply pointed out why the OP is correct.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

But by your reasoning, all of the supernaturals shouldn’t have even tried, not just mermaids.

(Look at the poor werewolves! I love werewolves! And they were shut out of the second poll! :frowning: Werewolves are like the jelly to the vampires’ peanut butter, so I was surprised they were so low. I thought maybe they could have been second or third place. I certainly didn’t expect mermaids to beat them, lol!)
    (She/her)
  • Options

So the restriction? The guru's never confirmed if they are indeed restrictions tho?
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I agree, S3 mermaids were boring. If they bring them back, I would expect them to be fleshed out (pardon the pun) more. It's obvious that they did a lot of research on vampires for that pack and, while merfolk aren't as varied as vampires, they could add a lot more to them.

They could have a siren version where merfolk can "call" to humans and mate. I'd like something a little more Sims-like. I'd like merfolk to have a human form but when walking among humans, they put out an aura that makes human sims develop a flirtatious crush on them, but the humans don't realize it or know why it is happening.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    I agree, S3 mermaids were boring. If they bring them back, I would expect them to be fleshed out (pardon the pun) more. It's obvious that they did a lot of research on vampires for that pack and, while merfolk aren't as varied as vampires, they could add a lot more to them.

They could have a siren version where merfolk can "call" to humans and mate. I'd like something a little more Sims-like. I'd like merfolk to have a human form but when walking among humans, they put out an aura that makes human sims develop a flirtatious crush on them, but the humans don't realize it or know why it is happening.

I would love mermaid siren call powers and attraction or charm auras! :smile:

To make a GP, they either need to give them an underwater world, or give them more powers like the witches/vampires, or both. I would love having the charm powers.

Or, put them as part of a beach world pack like in the past. (But I don’t think Sims 4 is going to go this route.)

ETA: I actually liked the mermaids in Sims 3, but they had some serious shortcomings/flaws (swimming waaaay too slow, no charm powers, no instant beauty that other Sims would notice, overheating too fast).

I still loved the fact that the merfolk were still added in a Sims game, though. I had to use mods or CC to make merfolk in the older Sims games.

Post edited by LatinaBunny on
    (She/her)
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Vampire can charm people nowadays as well.
    That's nothing new. The concept has been around for as long as the concept of vampires. They were never meant to be particularly attractive creatures, and so have always needed other methods to get their lunch.
    By those strict standards and rules, you might as well not do any supernatural except witches, witches, witches, and more witches...
    not quite.
    Vampires and werewolves have pretty well fleshed out legends behind them.
    Because witches would always beat everyone, if we’re comparing powers/spells.
    Not really, they also have their weaknesses. And not to mention a hedge-witch isn't particularly powerful, but has a lot of use (healer, midwife, love potions, tweaking the weather)
    What use does a mermaid have?

One of the gurus even said they made vampires out of multiple sources, including various pop culture.
    Most of the vampire popculture has some root in the legends.
    Nospheratu(spell?).
    Nosferatu

I just wish they'd included the roman traditions on vampire legends, in which when a natural redhead dies, they may come back, cos they're secretly vampires. Even funnier still, roman women intentionally dyed their hair red. Even roman women fantasised about being vampires.

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Well, then I apologize about the vamps, then. I never read much vampire stuff outside of some paranormal romances, so I don’t know much about vamps. I’m more of the modern romantic vamps.

Just like how some people don’t know much about mermaid origins and their lore. Not everyone knows all of the lore of all of the supernatural.

Well, in the end, you guys got your awesome vamps.

I’m just so happy for the possibility of getting my mermaids and fairies and (hopefully varied enough to allow lighter types) witches. :smile: I’m glad devs consider all of the supernatural types. And apparently the community cares, too, which is heartening.

Equality for all simming gameplay!
    (She/her)
  • Options
    ElenPinkElenPink Posts: 541 Member
    Life states in general are ridiculous
    webp_net_gifmaker_by_sarcasmisbetter-dcfn6tz.gif
  • Options
    agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    ElenPink wrote: »
    Life states in general are ridiculous

I agree with you. Sometimes I feel like there are like maybe 5 of us here who aren't interested in supernatural stuff for this game at all :D
  • Options
    safersavioursafersaviour Posts: 507 Member
    Movotti wrote: »
    They were never meant to be particularly attractive creatures, and so have always needed other methods to get their lunch.

I'll point out that Dracula was supposed to be gorgeous and darkly magnetic at full power (well-fed). Actually, lot of vampire legends depict them as beautiful as they are dangerous. Not everything is Nosferatu. When Polidori wrote Ruthven, he didn't depict him as ugly at all, but as a charming gentleman with deviant tastes (-cough-LordByron-cough-).
  • Options
    GrynnGrynn Posts: 260 Member
    I'm pretty sure that if we got mermaids the ocean still wouldn't be completely open like in The Sims 3, there would be "swimming spots" like there are for fishing, your would enter it and transform into a mermaid, do a little diving animation and disappear while you would get those Selvadorada-esque chance cards.

Don't expect anything more than that.
  • Options
    MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    I'll only accept mermaids if they come with their own world. Otherwise I just don't see how they would work. And if they don't do a world, the devs would AT LEAST have to make all bodies of water swimmable, preferably as a feature added in a patch (which would also be great, honestly?).

Like, it is POSSIBLE to implement mermaids, but heck it's gonna take a lot of effort. The Sims 4, in its current state, does not seem to be ready for proper mermaids. Not yet.

And it they're gonna go the lazy route and turn the sea into a rabbit hole with Selvadorada-style chance cards, then I'm not really interested.

Mermaids were never my favorite supernatural in the first place. I much prefer the land-bound ones. And the flying ones. And the ones who can transform. Those are fun.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Hi,

I don't really understand this irrational choice, this life state can do nothing.
    • No power
    • Nowhere to swim in the existing worlds
    • Just a sim wearing a fishtail
    • No dolphin friend or sea pet
    • 99.99% of the time it's a standard sim in the everyday life.

Look at The Sims 3, Mermaid is a decorative life state, the gameplay is empty.

And after that, people complain about the lack of gameplay in The Sims 4... just it's insane !

Note: I like Mermaid but the restrictions of the game kill the idea.

Calling a choice "irrational" is quite rude. What's irragional to you is totally rational to others.

Since (as yiou said) mermaids can't swim in the current worlds, mermaids would likely mean a tropical theme which a lot of players would like. It would also probably mean ocean swimming, another major requset. In Sims 3, you could only encounter mermaids in Isla Paradiso, and that doesn't seem to have hurt anything.

No powers? Mermaids are related to the ancient Sirens in Greek mythology, luring unwitting sailors to destrution with their voices. Maybe merfolk (let's not leave the dudes out) could already have the Beguiling trait when they hit Teen that ups the success of flirty interactions. They could also guard Neptune's treasure from interlopers so you may have to fight them for it so get that Fitness skill up! Just because mermaid gameplay was empty in Sims 3 doesn't mean it would have to be empty in Sims 4 -- this is one place where the Sims 4 devs could outshine the previous iteration.

Disclaimer: I voted for Robots in the poll, but I also voted Off the Grid in the community stuff pack and for the canning instead of laundry, but I'm a bit off-kilter from everyone. However, I'm not going to say the majority of voters are "irrational" just because they picked something different than me...I'll save that for those who voted for Zombies (I hate zombies with a purple passion). B)
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Hence there is the rub. Given the history of EA taking the short cut I would say witches are going to win this so called poll. Mermaids are going to require EA to open the water for swimming and other things. While a witch is already a Sim needing a few sparkles and broom calling it a day.

If they treat witches like they did vampires, and add in a track where they can declare themselves good, evil or neutral (which would determine the type of spells available) they could be just as awesome as vampires. Although when asked about his favorite type of witches, Sims 2 or Sims 3, Grant cited Makin' Magic for the original Sims; my dream pack would be a modern reboot of Makin' Magic where every Sim has access to the Magic Skill. Imagine aliens and vampires with magic on top of their powers! That's another topic discussion though.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    FlyIgniteFlyIgnite Posts: 2 New Member
    Give mermaid but give option to hunt them down and add a dish called fried mermaid or something.
  • Options
    soko37soko37 Posts: 593 Member
    normansr wrote: »
    > @soko37 said:
    > I'm kinda with you except I don't like the idea at all and think it's dumb. A half-fish sim????? Only thing I can think is that kids are voting for this.
    >
    > I've been voting for witches and I think they won out over fish people anyhow. Let's hope next they don't have half groundhog sims living underground or half bird sims living in trees.

Pretty sure kids are more likely voting for imaginary friends over your so called 'half-fish sim'.

I think both are probably popular with kids that play. Mermaids are like making sims into a Disney movie so I can see the appeal to them. I'm in my thirties, so it's not how I want my sims.
  • Options
    soko37soko37 Posts: 593 Member

It bothers me too because mermaids would entirely change the look and feel of sims. It would feel like a Disney movie or just more childlike in general. Although I will be just fine with it if we can turn it off or not participate in it by not buying it, but sometimes those options are not always available so it scares me that my sims game could be ruined. I picture trying to have a nice day at the beach and seeing mermaids splashing around and flopping themselves up on rocks and my family keeps autonomously trying to chat with them uughh. The whole thing would just ruin the game for me or I would take to murdering them whenever they popped up like how I tried to deal with zombies in sims 3. Fish...sharks...otters living in the ocean? Sure! Sims living there....NO
  • Options
    DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    I seems... cosmetic, at best.
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
  • Options
    soko37 wrote: »

It bothers me too because mermaids would entirely change the look and feel of sims. It would feel like a Disney movie or just more childlike in general. Although I will be just fine with it if we can turn it off or not participate in it by not buying it, but sometimes those options are not always available so it scares me that my sims game could be ruined. I picture trying to have a nice day at the beach and seeing mermaids splashing around and flopping themselves up on rocks and my family keeps autonomously trying to chat with them uughh. The whole thing would just ruin the game for me or I would take to murdering them whenever they popped up like how I tried to deal with zombies in sims 3. Fish...sharks...otters living in the ocean? Sure! Sims living there....NO

Do you know the Sims? There will always be mods to remove them, but don't take it away from other simmers like me
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited July 2018
    Grynn wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that if we got mermaids the ocean still wouldn't be completely open like in The Sims 3, there would be "swimming spots" like there are for fishing, your would enter it and transform into a mermaid, do a little diving animation and disappear while you would get those Selvadorada-esque chance cards.

Sims 3 diving spots were lots. Your sim goes into the water, dives and enters the lot. That’s how it works and it could perfectly work like that in Sims 4 as well.

(I really like it by the way how the OP was all sceptical when starting this topic, and now has come with some amazing ideas in another!)
    soko37 wrote: »
    normansr wrote: »
    > @soko37 said:
    > I'm kinda with you except I don't like the idea at all and think it's dumb. A half-fish sim????? Only thing I can think is that kids are voting for this.
    >
    > I've been voting for witches and I think they won out over fish people anyhow. Let's hope next they don't have half groundhog sims living underground or half bird sims living in trees.

Pretty sure kids are more likely voting for imaginary friends over your so called 'half-fish sim'.

I think both are probably popular with kids that play. Mermaids are like making sims into a Disney movie so I can see the appeal to them. I'm in my thirties, so it's not how I want my sims.
    My thirties were quite some time ago and I love supernaturals so there really isn’t a connection with age ;) J.K. Rowling was deep in her thirties when she wrote her famous series about witches. And if mermaids would come in a GP you indeed just could not buy it? I hate the zombies as well, so I disabled the moon cycle: no zombies.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    To me, the Sims 4 already look cheerful and cartoon-y already, though, lol? :lol:

But, yeah, people who don’t like mermaids/merfolk can do like the rest of us who don’t care for certain content (like the simmers who loved vampires told the simmers who don’t like vampires or gothic stuff, etc) : don’t buy the pack; mod it out; use cheats; avoid reading or activating the content; avoid the location; and so on.

It’s OPTIONAL, just like vampires and the tons of Sims content out there in all four Sims games.
    (She/her)
  • Options
    GrynnGrynn Posts: 260 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Grynn wrote: »

Sims 3 diving spots were lots. Your sim goes into the water, dives and enters the lot. That’s how it works and it could perfectly work like that in Sims 4 as well.

(I really like it by the way how the OP was all sceptical when starting this topic, and now has come with some amazing ideas in another!)

If we do get merfolk then I hope it is like this, it's just that after the huge letdown that Jungle Adventures was I kind of lowered my expectations.

Also people thinking Ariel is the only mermaid reference out there really need to expand their horizons, if we got so many kind of vampires why would we only get one kind of merfork?

There's plenty of alluring sirens and evil naga witches references out there.