The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Mermaid ? Why this vote ???

Comments

• Options
    normansrnormansr Posts: 2 New Member
    > @MelodyElodie said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I agree! They are currently second in the new poll (the final poll).
    >
    > I'd prefer to have an upgrade to imaginary friends or fairies than to have mermaids.
    > Witches I don't mind because actually the whole system for them can be very adaptable for normal sims instead of having a whole lifeform dedicated to them. Pretty sure it would be cool for any Sim to learn witchcraft/magic. (Shame we won't have werewolves [Lunar Moon Cycles] due to it being third in the previous poll)
    > Fairies could really come under witchcraft tbh but they'd just be a different life form, their flying capabilities like vampires. If Fairies came in after Witches and Vampires, it may seem very repetitive since it would be taking stuff from other occults before it in that sense, if we get witches the next I wouldn't mind would be;
    > Imaginary Friends. I think needs a revamp after how annoying they were previously. It would be a great addition to the game if done right.

I like the idea of any sim can learn wichcraft/magic,if so, we would have human witches,vampire witches,werewolf witches...
  • Options
    normansrnormansr Posts: 2 New Member
    > @soko37 said:
    > I'm kinda with you except I don't like the idea at all and think it's dumb. A half-fish sim????? Only thing I can think is that kids are voting for this.
    >
    > I've been voting for witches and I think they won out over fish people anyhow. Let's hope next they don't have half groundhog sims living underground or half bird sims living in trees.

Pretty sure kids are more likely voting for imaginary friends over your so called 'half-fish sim'.
  • Options
    HimRumiHimRumi Posts: 1,444 Member
    Maybe people are voting for it to have the waters opened up for swimming...

It's better of buying an expansion pack purely dedicated to beach life, seriously with a huge world with islands, beaches and amusement parks of some sort.
  • Options
    Lomelindi7Lomelindi7 Posts: 1,339 Member
    Ok well mermaids do have powers and could be totally awesome in their own GP like vampires but to each their own!

I voted witches in the poll but I’d buy the heck out of a mermaid pack!
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2018
    I seem to recall and just looked it up for assurance, Sirens are not Mermaids. They are half woman, half bird who lured sailors to their death by shipwrecking them with their song. Only some old hollywood movie depicted them as mermaid. But myth is a bird woman.

As far as mermaids goes I agree with the OP. If you get a world it would probably be like the hidden worlds in game and since mermaids are more human than fish that would be very boring. Mermaids don't have powers other than to talk to sea animals if I recall the myths correctly. And for goodness sake who wants to go to another boring,hidden world where we catch fish just because the Sim has the power to catch a fish. Boring.

Now, if they wanted to build ships and boats and worlds with swimmable oceans, and Sirens sit out on some rocks and cause the Sim to go insane and wreck their ships and drown or be carried off to some underworld Atlantis that might be interesting.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    I really don't understand why people keep saying that mermaids are boring and do nothing apart from swimming around. I am like, have you lived in a parallel universe were there was no pop culture references to mermaids and no mythology? And have you got no imagination?
    I don't see why people think they would be boring but werewolves would be a lot of fun. It really confuses me.
    As I said in the first page of this thread, mermaids open up the possibility not only of swimming in bodies of water but also in having a completely different world, an underwater world! How awesome is that!?
    They also have a lot of different powers and also, like vampires or witches, many different aesthetics and eras were the devs can get inspiration from. They can be evil or good and done well bring a completely new and different flavour into the game.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    I really don't understand why people keep saying that mermaids are boring and do nothing apart from swimming around. I am like, have you lived in a parallel universe were there was no pop culture references to mermaids and no mythology? And have you got no imagination?
    I don't see why people think they would be boring but werewolves would be a lot of fun. It really confuses me.
    As I said in the first page of this thread, mermaids open up the possibility not only of swimming in bodies of water but also in having a completely different world, an underwater world! How awesome is that!?
    They also have a lot of different powers and also, like vampires or witches, many different aesthetics and eras were the devs can get inspiration from. They can be evil or good and done well bring a completely new and different flavour into the game.

Same I'm wondering if anyone has watched mako mermaids or h20 because they were pretty cool in those shows and they had some powers and pretty cool aesthetics. Plus there's even a new show called siren and in this one they are more vicious and dangerous.

I think there's a lot they can do with mermaids.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited July 2018
    Mermaids in some fiction can have powers, like water bending like powers, luring/Charm Powers, and such.

If we stuck to very basic basic myths, the werewolves (who are transforming furry animals) and vamps (wasn’t it originally just a normalish guy with a weird diet and who hated the sun?) don’t really do much either, but people still wanted those, and many myths over time, later pop cultures, and the Sims series still gave them more powers over time...

Here, in Mako tv series, for example, mermaids can have powers:

http://makomermaids.wikia.com/wiki/Mermaid_Powers

The good thing is that the mermaids are second place in the supernatural poll, so I am expecting for mermaids to show up much later in either Sims 4 or maybe Sims 5.

They were considered worthy enough to be in Sims 3, and were considered worthy enough by the devs to be in a supernatural poll, so I don’t think I have to argue anything more. :)

I love mermaids, and I’m going to keep voting for them. :blush:

ETA: Dude, even in Wikipedia, there was even a Greek legend of a mermaid with water and stormy water powers...
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    edited July 2018

I have lots of imagination. But as I said Mermaids are not Sirens and therefore the myths are getting confused in here. What powers according to the myths do mermaids have? Again they are not evil sirens/harpies.

https://knowledgenuts.com/2014/02/05/the-difference-between-mermaids-and-sirens/
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Cinebar wrote: »

I have lots of imagination. But as I said Mermaids are not Sirens and therefore the myths are getting confused in here. What powers according to the myths do mermaids have? Again they are not evil sirens/harpies.

Sirens/harpies do not have exclusive rights to charming or luring men to their dooms. Vampire can charm people nowadays as well.

Mermaids are sometimes portrayed or seen as something similar to the Undines or Naiads or Rusalka in some legends.

There are some myths and pop culture stuff that gives them more powers than the basic original myths, just like with the werewolves and vampires.

According to Wikipedia, one of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies (haven’t watched that particular one) added more stuff to mermaids:

“The film Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides mixes old and new myths about mermaids: singing to sailors to lure them to their death, growing legs when taken onto dry land, and bestowing kisses with magical healing properties.”
    (She/her)
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Sirens/harpies do not have exclusive rights to charming or luring men to their dooms.

Mermaids are sometimes portrayed as Undines or Naiads in some legends.

There are some myths and pop culture stuff that gives them more powers than the basic original myths, just like with the werewolves and vampires.

According to Wikipedia, one of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies (haven’t watched that particular one) added more stuff to mermaids:

“The film Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides mixes old and new myths about mermaids: singing to sailors to lure them to their death, growing legs when taken onto dry land, and bestowing kisses with magical healing properties.”

Oh, you mean TV and movie powers...I'm sorry, I would prefer they keep it as close to the non existant powers of the mermaid myths as possible. If we can make up more powers never mentioned in the old Greek legends etc. then I would have preferred a gargoyle since we would just be making up what powers they can have.
  • Options
    If we’re going to limit mermaids to the barest basic original myth, then we might as well limit werewolves and zombies and imaginary friends, etc.
    (She/her)
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    If we’re going to limit mermaids to the barest basic original myth, then we might as well limit werewolves and zombies and imaginary friends, etc.

No, those legends have more powers than mermaids it is only in the last few centuries mermaids and Disney etc. gave maids some extra stuff they never supposedly had. :D
  • Options
    CeCeDotCeCeDot Posts: 230 Member
    edited July 2018

No, those legends have more powers than mermaids it is only in the last few centuries mermaids and Disney etc. gave maids some extra stuff they never supposedly had. :D

Vampires in TS4 got powers and inspiration from RECENT pop culture, not completely from their original myth
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Sirens/harpies do not have exclusive rights to charming or luring men to their dooms.

Oh, you mean TV and movie powers...I'm sorry, I would prefer they keep it as close to the non existant powers of the mermaid myths as possible. If we can make up more powers never mentioned in the old Greek legends etc. then I would have preferred a gargoyle since we would just be making up what powers they can have.

Ok, Vampires have various powers and were given some variety of appearances and powers depending on the many myths AND the pop culture stuff. (The literature and the movies and tv shows.)

Should the devs not given the vampires so many powers or that much variety, then? Why limit the mermaids only to bare minimum?

Btw, even in the Wikipedia article (and wikia and other articles) for mermaids, there are legends of a mermaid that can calm the ocean waters or cause rough/stormy waters and some can even lure sailors to their doom with their beauty and/or singing...

http://greekmythology.wikia.com/wiki/Mermaids

http://www.gods-and-monsters.com/mermaid-mythology.html

http://m.talesbeyondbelief.com/nymphs/mermaids.htm

Mermaids might have originated from the sirens, water nymphs, Greek goddesses (like Aphrodite), etc, which could be why there are different stories about these enchantingly beautiful water ladies. :smile:
    (She/her)
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    CeCeDot wrote: »

Vampires in TS4 got powers and inspiration from RECENT pop culture, not completely from their original myth

Yes, but vamps aren't confused with a werewolf. In this thread some are mixing sirens with mermaids and mixing those powers. That's why it should be a siren creature instead of a mermaid who is supposedly gentle and kind and never evil so they would never be wrecking ships with a song like ears ringing. I'm just taking issue with mixing two creatures together. We would never mix up werewolves' powers with vampire powers.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Yes, but vamps aren't confused with a werewolf. In this thread some are mixing sirens with mermaids and mixing those powers. That's why it should be a siren creature instead of a mermaid who is supposedly gentle and kind and never evil so they would never be wrecking ships with a song like ears ringing. I'm just taking issue with mixing two creatures together. We would never mix up werewolves with vampire powers.

Best of both worlds? So merfolk instead of just mermaids. That way we can create whatever we want; a mermaids, siren, etc

Edit: just because people confuse mermaids and sirens doesn't mean they can't have new powers added based on TV or media
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Yes, but vamps aren't confused with a werewolf. In this thread some are mixing sirens with mermaids and mixing those powers. That's why it should be a siren creature instead of a mermaid who is supposedly gentle and kind and never evil so they would never be wrecking ships with a song like ears ringing. I'm just taking issue with mixing two creatures together. We would never mix up werewolves' powers with vampire powers.

Please read my post above. Mermaids may have originated from the sirens, water nymphs, and other seductive lady creatures, which is why they may be often mixed or are similar.

There are Greek legends and other places where mermaids lead sailors to their doom (either by their beauty or singing or both). It’s not a brand new concept out of nowhere. Some mermaids were rumored to be minor goddesses or somehow connected to Aphrodite or the water gods. There are even myths that some types of merfolk can cause stormy waters and such.

There ARE good mermaids AND bad mermaids throughout the myths (depending on the country) as well as in pop culture.

We are not making this stuff up, people. :frowning:
    (She/her)
  • Options

Yes, but vamps aren't confused with a werewolf. In this thread some are mixing sirens with mermaids and mixing those powers. That's why it should be a siren creature instead of a mermaid who is supposedly gentle and kind and never evil so they would never be wrecking ships with a song like ears ringing. I'm just taking issue with mixing two creatures together. We would never mix up werewolves with vampire powers.

Best of both worlds? So merfolk instead of just mermaids. That way we can create whatever we want; a mermaids, siren, etc

Edit: just because people confuse mermaids and sirens doesn't mean they can't have new powers added based on TV or media

Well, o.k. but what does that tell you? That mermaids are so lame pop culture (and old movies) had to give them other powers from other mythical creatures. I mean I don't have to tell a tale a werewolf can disappear at will, we all know that belongs to vamps not werewolves.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Well, o.k. but what does that tell you? That mermaids are so lame pop culture (and old movies) had to give them other powers from other mythical creatures. I mean I don't have to tell a tale a werewolf can disappear at will, we all know that belongs to vamps not werewolves.

Forget it. You’re not reading my posts, so I’m not going to search for or provide any more evidence. I’m not going to argue with you or anyone else on this thread. You either believe me or you don’t.

Anyway: I’m just glad the devs think differently and do consider mermaids as a worthy addition to the sims supernatural family.
    Post edited by LatinaBunny on
    (She/her)
  • Options

Forget it. I’m not going to argue with you or anyone on this thread anymore.

I’m just glad the devs think differently and do consider mermaids as a worthy addition to the sims supernatural family.

Witches would have a lot more content and powers.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Forget it. I’m not going to argue with you or anyone on this thread anymore.

I’m just glad the devs think differently and do consider mermaids as a worthy addition to the sims supernatural family.

Witches would have a lot more content and powers.

Yeah, witches would have a lot more than all of the supernaturals COMBINED. More than zombies, werewolves, and imaginary friends (whatever those are), etc. Even the vampires probably can’t compare to the unlimited powers and varieties of the many, many types of witches in myths and pop culture.

The witches can DO ANYTHING and BE ANYTHING. It’s pretty obvious and a gimme that the witches will shut out EVERYONE (and all supernaturals) in a heartbeat!

Does that mean none of the supernaturals should even be considered, then?

But I’m still glad: The mermaids were still voted second place after witches.

Post edited by LatinaBunny on
    (She/her)
  • Options

So what? People may like them aestethically and story wise, and others want them to get the same treatment as vampires.
    Why does it bother you so much anyway? Can't people like things different from your interest?
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member

That makes no sense whatsoever. There are merfolks tales and myths in many cultures and civilisations around the world, ancient and contemporary. Some were beautiful, some hideous. Some would save the humans, some would eat them or drown them. There are dozens of different interpretations in literature (again, ancient and modern), and later on in cinema and television. Myths are not set in stone and evolve with cultures and time.
    So you want The Sims to implement supernaturals that are as closed to their very first myth as possible? I'm sorry but that's just ridiculous.
    On Sirens and mermaids that you also talked about earlier, it was the Greeks themselves that started the fusion, it's in their own mythos that you find the story of how sirens became mermaids. The words are interchangeable nowadays in many languages too.

This is a very thorough and easy to read article on the topic that also talks about other cultures that have similar creatures: http://mermaidsofearth.com/on-the-origin-of-mermaids/

The funniest thing about this discussion is that I didn't even vote for mermaids in the last poll but for witches! But I still feel the need to bring some clarity here.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options

So what? People may like them aestethically and story wise, and others want them to get the same treatment as vampires.
    Why does it bother you so much anyway? Can't people like things different from your interest?

Of course, but as far as powers go and the supernatural being, I don't see a reason to add them. Others can want them but as I said I agree with the OP they would have to add a bucket load of powers to bring them up to par with the vampire powers in this game. And if you think about it, there isn't much you can add to make a mermaid have a bucket full of powers. Witches would automatically have loads of powers just by being a witch. They would have to make up some powers to make the mermaid worthy of a GP.